COVID-19 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Yeah, I understand that just fine. That's a good attitude to have in your personal life. It also has nothing to do with a discussion of what our government should do on a population level, to help solve a problem they helped create. Especially when there's currently millions more people looking for work than there are available jobs.

Something like half of the the last multi trillion dollar bailout went to corporations. Notice that the government's response to them is never "LOL, I guess you shouldn't have started a multinational corporation! Suck it up!". Bar owners are right to be a little pissed right now.
Again you put words in my mouth and say I espouse things I have not.
Be nice if you showed me where I lolz corporations getting money,said I got mine Fuck you or claimed any political affiliation but you cannot.
You do continue to present strawman arguments as if I have.

Gunky

Have you ever noticed right wingers here always claim to be apolitical? Wouldn't you know it, just by coincidence they happen to defend whatever the president said, thats all.. :hmm:

florduh

Be nice if you showed me where I lolz corporations getting money,said I got mine Fuck you

No, you never said anything about corporations getting bailouts. Doesn't change the fact they did, while bars and restaurants are being left to fail.

But, in my opinion, you do have a fairly blaise attitude about bar owners losing their businesses, or bartenders losing their jobs due to no fault of their own:

Perhaps instead of crying for others to do for you you should do for self.
👌
You choose to be the victim in this scenario.
You choose to be a waiter,bartender or bum.
Your choice is yours alone quit trying to do for others when you cannot handle your own affairs.

You're 100% right. In your own personal life, you should do whatever it takes to put food on the table and a roof over your head. That's totally separate from a discussion on what the government should do on a macro level to help solve problems they either create or exacerbate.

And sorry... but if your opinion is that every business and person should just fend for themselves with no assistance from the government...that boat sailed after corporate America got hundreds of billions.

In the article I posted that set this whole thing off, it looks like there is some bipartisan support for providing assistance to the bar/restaurant industry. Hopefully that works out. Unless we all want to live in a world where the only place to get food and drinks is an "Applebees, Presented by Amazon."

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
We could talk about all of the problems with this, but it would be off topic for this thread and really just inappropriate for the site in general.

It would be great if we could steer this thread away from personal opinions, links from political sites/blogs and instead focus on actual scientific literature.

Please.

Tranquility

Have you ever noticed right wingers here always claim to be apolitical? Wouldn't you know it, just by coincidence they happen to defend whatever the president said, thats all.. :hmm:
Notice how the left wingers always are predictable in what they say? Wouldn't you know it, just by coincidence they happen to challenge whatever the president said, thats all...

Same old, same old from the same old. Didn't even try to put a little Covid spin on it. Some just want to watch the world burn.
--------

As to the proposition of helping the states. I won't get into the partisan nonsense but will get in a few points.

1. I'm a fiscal conservative as a core political value and there is no one standing up for me. (Maybe Rand Paul.) Trump, Democrats and Republicans all want to spend a lot more money than I do.

2. States are going to have a huge mismatch between revenue and expenses. As @florduh says, they don't have the magic money tree the feds have so can't pay with promises.

3. We're going to have to have the feds use the magic tree to give magic money to the states or the states will go BK. States can't go BK. Only the magic money fairy can have any chance of making this better.

4. Does the magic money tree last for all amounts? I mean, if we can drop $6 trillion without really blinking, why not $100 trillion? It all depends on where the rest of the world feels safe in leaving it's money. At some level of spending...

At what level that is we won't know until it happens. If it happens, kiss your ass goodby. There will be nothing anyone will be able to do.

5. What we're really talking about in the state issue is how we spread and allocate the harm. Remember, we were all hit by this pandemic. Is it fair and right those in states that have been better at managing their budget through the years, managing the pandemic cost effectively and did less actions that would hurt revenue as mitigation, pay for those who did not? Especially when the most profligate spenders or revenue destroyers seem to have an inverse relationship to success in health outcomes in the pandemic, what can the fair measure be?

6. We cannot prevent societal change if society wants to change. If people don't want buggy whips, we shouldn't join together to make sure all the whip cutter's jobs are maintained. The economic pain is just beginning. We ain't seen nothing yet. Money might be better spent in helping displaced workers get training and help in changing life roles for them over some money that would extend a job until that money runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom