Cover Tunes

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Any Alex Chilton fans...? I hope so!

Listen as an already well-seasoned frontman by this time at <20 yo (International hit with 'The Letter' at 16) completely re-imagine this (would be) classic by deftly turning it inside-out:

Alex Chilton - Jumpin' Jack Flash - Free Again: The "1970" Sessions

Edit: I suppose I should post this cover as well, seeing as it's from the same album (the only ones on there, I believe):

Alex Chilton - Sugar Sugar/I Got the Feelin' - Free Again: The "1970" Sessions

OK, one more completely unrelated but probably even more amazing than the ones above:

Jaco Pastorius - Blackbird (Remastered Version) - Anthology: The Warner Bros. Years

Originally on 'Word of Mouth'

Percussion: Don Alias
Flute: Hubert Laws
Bass: Jaco Pastorius
Drums: Peter Erskine
Harmonica: Toots Thielemans
Writer: John Lennon
Writer: Paul McCartney

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
What a dynamite release by Johnny so late in life...
really opened a lot of eyes at a perfect time.
(well, ALL the American Recordings releases really...)

I prefer BOTH of these to the original (of which there are very few):

Johnny Cash - Rusty Cage (Official Music Video)
(Soundgarden)

Johnny Cash - Rowboat
(Beck)

Only missing one track: Johnny Cash - Unchained (1996)

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Last edited:
Bologna,
Reactions: Planck

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
@Bologna - always loved that Cowboy Junkies version. Here's another take by another woman fronted band. Saw this show, Lone Justice opened for U2, Hartford Civic Center, 1985. Bono joined them at end of song, doing his best Lou Reed impression. Lone Justice was a great live band. They kicked U2's ass, in my asshole opinion
Cool! Never heard that before! Nah, fuck early Bono especially... totally agree! My wife was a 'regular' at Tramps in NYC (working as a nanny and going to nyu) 83-85 and she has a great story about how Bono was making a big deal pulling his leather jacket up over his head pushing his way thru the crowd and no one was paying attention or even really knew who he was or cared... haha... what a tool... meanwhile my wife smoked a joint later on with David Johansen in the ally...True Story! I was lucky enough to go back there when we first met (early 90's) and meet a few regulars that were still there and also catch Buckwheat Zydeco! Good Memories!

The only show I saw around then at Hartford CC was Yes in the spring of '84 (9012Live), I also saw em again in Boston in the fall.

Loooooove this cover! (Huge Nilsson fan!..... well, and Lennon, too, OF COURSE!!)

Harry Nilsson - Many Rivers to Cross (Jimmy Cliff)
Man, those guys were hittin it hard then, haha!

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Edit: ^^^Haha! didn't even realize the last post was ME POSTING NILSSON.... :smug: (sounds like me)

Which version do you prefer...?

The "popular" version that made all $$?:

THREE DOG NIGHT One (1969) HQ

The amazing version on an amazing soundtrack to an amazing film?:

Aimee Mann - One

Or the original?:

Harry Nilsson- One (Best Quality)

Last edited:

seki

Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane (Official Video)

The Cowboy Junkies' Sweet Jane Cover is a personal favourite of mine. I also really like their Blue Moon Cover:
(The Marcels/Elvis)

I'm not a fan of the original, but this cover turns the song into something completely different for me:
(Hanson)

Those online shopping commercials are getting pretty close to killing this one:
(Elton John)

This one isn't so much a cover as it is a "re-imagining" of sorts, but any song that uses bread and dairy products as euphemisms for genitalia is a winner in my book:
(The Penguins)

One more to round it out, RIP Fred "Toots" Hibbert:
(John Denver)

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Do "remix" albums count as a "cover"... I suppose not. How about if they add new tracks?

Nothing wrong at all with this choice as a lad (😜) in '65-'66, @macbill, and I think it was easily one of the best #1s of it's day:
1611305959330.png
From: http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/A/Alpert/herb_alpert.html

"Notes: I have to 'fess up here, I love this stuff. It's the perfect music for some tiki torches, tall drinks and an afternoon of sippin' and lounging. This album in particular has the sleaziest version of "Love Potion No. 9" that I've ever experienced. Everyone's dad had this album in the sixties and many an adolescent daydream was born from the cover.

Here's some additional info sent in by Bill Bernardi: The model is Dolores Erickson. She was pregnant at the time of the photo shoot. She was actually covered with shaving cream (whipped cream kept melting under the lights). The LP was released in 1965 and spent 189 weeks
on the charts.

And don't forget to stop and peek at the ladies who are known as The Frivolous Five.

Or how about Pat Cooper's take on the cover?

Click here to see the Ostrowski Family and all of their Delights.

The following information was provided by Brandy Scrufari of WMJQ Radio Buffalo, New York:

The actual band that played on the Whipped Cream album was not an actual group but the "Cream of the Crop" of west coast studio musicians. All the trumpets on the album are that of Herb Alpert,dubbed and overdubbed sometimes 4 or 5 times to give that distinct Tijuana Brass sound. Other musicians that participated on the album were Hal Blaine on drums (Baja Marimba Band drummer Frank Devito played drums on the song "Whipped Cream"). Tommy Tedesco, Bill Pitman and John Pisano on guitars. Lyle Ritz on bass. Leon Russell on piano. Julius Wechter on marimba, vibes and percussion. Bob Edmondson on trombone. Carol Kaye was known to play electric bass on the song "Whipped Cream." There were other musicians on the album but these are the ones that I was familiar with. To the best of my knowledge the entire album was recorded at the now defunct Gold Star Studios in Hollywood.

And a few words from Jim Newsom:

Herb Alpert's "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" was released in April, 1965, debuted on the Billboard Top 40 on June 12, 1965, and spent eight weeks at Number 1 on the Billboard album charts beginning November 27th. In all, the album spent 141 weeks in the Top 40, and 61 weeks in the Top Ten.

And you can click here to see a shot of the photo session in progress from a 1989 issue of Esquire magazine."

Full Album --->>> Herb Alpert & TJB Whipped Cream & Other Delights

I actually kinda like some of this 2006 Remix release:
Whipped Cream & Other Delights Re-Whipped - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

Ok, so the real question... OG cover art?:
1611306825191.png

or the Remix?:
rewhipped.gif

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I like them both...different but the same and it would also depend on my mood, lol.
I agree! Which is why I posted them. Two completely dif takes on the same tune... but also so similar, and not just the notes, progression or tempo... It's greater than all that.. and Jeff was able to capture that years later and run and make it his own!

Knowing/hearing about Jeff being one of the classiest, nicest and most genuine, down-to-earth pros in the biz, I'm sure he would take that as an amazing compliment....!

ok back to the matter at hand...

Original:

Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive (Official Music Video)

or Cover:

Duo De Twang - Stayin Alive

:rofl::lmao::rockon:

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
^Sooo polished and dif from the original... EPIC!

Always really dug these 2 releases from these guys (maybe their "Thrillah" and "Radiodread" not so much...):

Easy Star All-Stars - Lonely Hearts Dub Band (full album)

The use of bong/bubbler noises is a particularly nice touch....

For you, too, @CrazyDiamond..... Shine the F ON!:

Easy Star All-Stars - Dub Side of The Moon (full album)

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I like both versions but Mingus is my choice. You never divulged yours?

Their youtube page is a gold mine, so great. :)

Blues or funk?
Well, I kinda did, however cheaply, by agreeing with @CrazyDiamond, I thought.... :razz: But "Gun-To-Head Choose"...? Even though I have a good 10 more years of love and history, important early teens thru early twenties years..... In this case, as it usually does, goes to the original. Mingus it is! He friggin WROTE it after all! UNREAL! (love the cover art, too!)

I'll take the "funk" please, for a few reasons, maybe not so obvious... but I did particularly enjoy the bass! 😜

Dylan or the Dead...? (EVERYONE ELSE FEEL FREE TO ANSWER, TOO!)

Stephen Malkmus & The Million Dollar Bashers - Maggie's Farm - I'm not there Soundtrack

The War on Drugs - 'Touch of Grey'

Last edited:
Top Bottom