Could you be happy with just one vape (and which is it)?

hoptimum

do you have any suggesting it’s completely safe? I’ve never seen anything saying it’s safe with use in the vapes we’re talking about specifically.

The burden of proof is on the person claiming it's dangerous, and so far I'm not seeing anything.

Oh I get it. Lol, hoptimum there's no need to fight me about it. I don't disagree with you about butane.
I only jumped in because you said you will clutch your Lotus and Vapman forever because some people believe butane is harmful. And Im like, "dude, the the Lotus and Vapman are NOT the vapes in question here. But it sounds like you think they are, which makes no rational sense. If we're focused on the real topic, you are debating people about the Sticky Brick and Genie. That's all I was saying.

I'm glad you admit that ignited butane is harmless. I consider that progress!

hoptimum,

Dutch-Mic

Is Using a Butane Lighter Unhealthy?​

President of and Co-founder of SC Labs, Josh Wurzer, claims that “for what it’s worth, butane is relatively non-toxic.” SC Lab is a leading cannabis lab in California that conducted residual solvent tests to “identify the presence of harmful solvents, impurities, and/or other added odorants and chemicals in cannabis.” Butane was placed as a class 33 solvent, meaning it has a low toxic potential to humans. According to this study, using a butane lighter has little effect on the body.

Additionally, according to data presented by the global energy company Hess, butane is non-toxic by inhalation. However, they did find that “inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system depression such as dizziness, drowsiness, headache, and similar narcotic symptoms, but no long-term effects.”

With both of these sources considered, using a butane lighter is relatively safe in moderation.

I don’t want to debate about the safety of butane, but I do want to raise a few science and research questions:

- When can we speak of a scientific fact? There may be some preliminary research (by companies) on butane safety, but is the evidence robust enough to conclude that butane is relatively safe?

- What kind of studies could further (dis)prove the safety of using vapes like the Sticky Brick? A longitudinal study on a population that uses Brick-esque vapes would be a great first step.

The burden of proof is on the person claiming it's dangerous, and so far I'm not seeing anything.

Is the burden of proof on the person claiming that it’s dangerous? That seems to depend on the question if the research on butane safety/using Brick-esque vaporizers is already robust enough to conclude that inhaling hot air from a butane lighter is relatively safe.

Dutch-Mic,
Reactions: Arawfish

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Smono 4.5 bubbler 😃
My 1st vape after 18 years smoking.
I love it.... My lungs they love it 😅😅😅
I'm new to vaping, greetings from Slovenia 🇸🇮, so glad I found you and your forum 🥰
Slovenia? I’ve heard wonderful things about your beautiful country! I must make the journey over there sometime. Cheers from Canada!

Ps. What’s the vape market like in Slovenia? Rather obscure and hard to acquire? Or not too bad?

leanpubpackage

I don’t trust those companies with my lung health, And this is after owning like 5 of those devices you listed 🙃

It may say 11x filtered (or whatever it happens to be) but I know for a fact all those cans are lined with BPA containing plastic liners, and if it says BPA free, there’s a really good chance the formulation they used is actually more harmful and less studied than BPA 😅. Not only those, but there’s guaranteed to be phthalates in there too! Among other things depending on the brand you’re using. The fact remains that none of the butane any of us are using is actually meant to be directly inhaled, and as such, there’s certain health precautions that haven’t been taken, or even looked into, regarding how we use it.

When I had those vapes, I could very much taste the butane. Ever since I got rid of those I haven’t tasted the same tastes. The Lotus certainly doesn’t have that taste and they should be principally identical, but they’re not.

Functionally though, definitely kickass vapes. Some of the hardest hitting out there.
I also always taste butane when I use direct inhale devices, no matter the brand I use. I absolutely LOVE my direct inhale devices but I use it sparingly because of unestablished safety. All depends on a persons risk tolerance I guess.

Direct inhales have been around for quite a while now and I’m sure we would’ve heard more about health issues related to these types of vapes, ESPECIALLY on FC, as people here are all about material safety.

I actually worry more about the chemicals/pesticides that are in the flower I buy. As soon as I move to a bigger space, im growing my own.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I also always taste butane when I use direct inhale devices, no matter the brand I use. I absolutely LOVE my direct inhale devices but I use it sparingly because of unestablished safety. All depends on a persons risk tolerance I guess.

Direct inhales have been around for quite a while now and I’m sure we would’ve heard more about health issues related to these types of vapes, ESPECIALLY on FC, as people here are all about material safety.

I actually worry more about the chemicals/pesticides that are in the flower I buy. As soon as I move to a bigger space, im growing my own.
Yeah I mean, it’s not so much the butane I’m concerned about. I know butane itself burns clean.

It’s more the things in there that no one may know about, things like phthalates or other such “forever” chemicals related to the lining on the inside of butane canisters. Chemicals like that cause problems in a way that’s almost impossible to trace back to any one thing, and they take generations before the damage they cause can be healed. People drink bottled water not knowing it’s full of these chemicals, and yet it’s perfectly acceptable to governing agencies. They’re in the clothes we wear, the food we eat, the beds and couches we sleep on, it’s on our cooking utensils and in our water supply. Shit, most beds you buy you have to air out for several days before you can sleep on it because of the VOCs they off gas. We live in an environment poisoned by microplastics and if I can reduce that even the smallest amount by not inhaling ignited butane, then great. If you live in a home that has furniture made from synthetic compounds, you can guarantee your air is full of microplastic dust particles. There’s just too many unknowns. There’s big time research taking place (or has taken place) that’s drawing a pretty thick line between these chemicals and the massive drop in the average man’s testosterone levels (among many other things) compared to just 20 years ago.

There’s also the matter of the lighters being used to ignite the aforementioned butane, we know nothing of the kind of chemicals that can leech from those.

Butane itself might be safe, but there’s so many other things to consider.

Edit: @hoptimum apparently I need to tag you in this as well, since you seemingly don’t know how to read 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
I've got too many to list. I'd miss having a variety. In this imaginary universe where I am only allowed one, based on usage for the last 9 months it would have to be the TA by @phattpiggie. I can't quit it. Several make their rotation in and out but the TA is used everyday without a doubt.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I've got too many to list. I'd miss having a variety. In this imaginary universe where I am only allowed one, based on usage for the last 9 months it would have to be the TA by @phattpiggie. I can't quit it. Several make their rotation in and out but the TA is used everyday without a doubt.
I love that last sentence. Not sure if you knew it rhymed but it seems right out of a Dr. Seuss book.

And you just can't publish the psychedelic shit he did unless you were high af most of the time.

hoptimum

do you have any suggesting it’s completely safe? I’ve never seen anything saying it’s safe with use in the vapes we’re talking about specifically.

Ignited butane converts to water and carbon dioxide. I'm comfortable with that. If you're not, you don't have to use a butane torch.

"Butane releases its chemical energy by undergoing hydrocarbon combustion. Below is a hydrocarbon combustion animation showing the net reaction that occurs when butane combines with oxygen. The hydrocarbon combustion reaction releases heat energy and is an example of an exothermic reaction."

Come back when you have some proof. Preferably not from random users on Reddit. Meanwhile, nobody is forcing you to use a butane torch. If you're not comfortable with torch vapes, just don't use them.

hoptimum,
  • Sad
Reactions: Arawfish

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Ignited butane converts to water and carbon dioxide. I'm comfortable with that. If you're not, you don't have to use a butane torch.

"Butane releases its chemical energy by undergoing hydrocarbon combustion. Below is a hydrocarbon combustion animation showing the net reaction that occurs when butane combines with oxygen. The hydrocarbon combustion reaction releases heat energy and is an example of an exothermic reaction."

Come back when you have some proof. Preferably not from random users on Reddit. Meanwhile, nobody is forcing you to use a butane torch. If you're not comfortable with torch vapes, just don't use them.
I’m not sure why you are so needlessly aggressive about this. Everyone is saying exactly that last bit, and no one is stopping you from enjoying your direct inhale butane vapes 🤷‍♂️. Various users just outlined the reasons why they err in the side of caution, which makes sense given we only get one set of lungs.

Arawfish

Green Thumb

Useless reply. Didn’t even read what I had said in my other comment where I clearly outlined where my concerns were.

Arawfish,
Reactions: Okla68

hoptimum

Useless reply. Didn’t even read what I had said in my other comment where I clearly outlined where my concerns were.

I read what you typed.
Your paranoia in counterproductive to intelligent discourse.

hoptimum,
Reactions: Okla68

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

I read what you typed.
Your paranoia in counterproductive to intelligent discourse.

These comments border on breaking the Be Nice rule. If you can't be resepectful of each other then don't post.

The butane discussion is off-topic for this thread. Please get back to answering the question posed by the title. Thanks for your cooperation.

maremaresing

I'll be happy if I have *At Least* 1 vape for the rest of my life. The other question is does this one vape hypothetically never break? That changes my answer.

I'd have to go with the BFG Dani. For me it's an on the go option, home option, heavy hitter and microdoser. Plus I can recharge a lighter faster than an 18650.

Blaz 🇸🇮

Slovenia? I’ve heard wonderful things about your beautiful country! I must make the journey over there sometime. Cheers from Canada!

Ps. What’s the vape market like in Slovenia? Rather obscure and hard to acquire? Or not too bad?
👋 👋 hello 👋
I'm new to vaping [2-3 months), so I really can't tell.
I bought it in a head/grow shop, I think there is no dry herb vape shop 🤔

If I think about it I don't know nobody that vapes 🤔

Thank God there's no lack of good weed 🙏

If you come, you teach me how to how to vape properly 🤗
The herbs on me 👌

Haveth

Accessory Maker
I don’t think you could survive off ONE vape… I have like 9 dynas, a home cape and a couple portable electric ones. You always have to have at least one dedicated to the home, and one dedicated to travel… one is blasphemous :D

Top Bottom