• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Cosmic Xtractor

NimChimpsky

Had some time to test out my Xtractor and it's really wonderful. Very nice quality wood, glass, craftsmanship. I'm getting superb performance with the settings I finally landed on (70W, 100 TCR, locked cold 0.472 ohm, 360 - 420°). Very tasty with even extraction and no hot spotting. Will throw some pics up later. Many thanks for the excellent device @FearAndLawyering. This first run unit is gonna get a lot of use from me, and they are only gonna improve from here! Looking forward to seeing this grow.

NimChimpsky

The overall look and performance actually reminds me a lot of my US custom Z. I still probably need a little more time with it, but so far I think the Cosmic Xtractor can totally hang with a Splinter Z functionally.

I think one of the most impressive aspects about it, especially for someone newish to vape making, is how pure the taste it. No glue, chemical, wood, metal, burn smell/taste at all - pure flavor just like a splinter (or tubo). Heater also has plenty of mass with quick heat up. Very impressed!

Last edited:

FearAndLawyering

new prototype batch -
New batch of test units, trying some new options. All of them use a smaller/tighter folded heater, hoping to heat a bit more evenly. Also this brings the resistance down a bit (from around .45 to .38).

Most of these are no-glass variants, so I can taste test some different wood types. And theres 2 purpleheart with glass, testing air hole position - top vs bottom. Unfortunately several of them cracked, there seems to be some variance to the RDA base diameters I'm using, I will need to order a few more bits to compensate.

NimChimpsky

Looking good! Will be interesting to see how the taste tests go with different woods, would be cool to have a less breakable option. One of the reasons I sold my dreamwood glow, even though it functioned beautifully, was that I didn't like the fairly strong walnut taste. It actually wasn't unpleasant, and I could even see some even enjoying it, but I prefer pure flavor.

My unit is still performing great. Have used it quite a bit, experimenting with the settings. I find mine provides best results with a slow steady draw. Pairs fantastically with a j hook, haven't tried through water yet. Due to the off centering I can't rotate it onto my 510 base without it hitting the mod, but this slimmer model is a great pair with the Grus.

Exciting to see these new test units!

FearAndLawyering

I wouldn't say I'm a flavor snob, but I had to sell my tinymight because it had some kind of fish oil flavor that never really went away. So I definitely understand flavor can be a deal breaker on these things. I ran a blue mahoe without glass for 2 weeks and Im not sure if there was no flavor imparted, or If I just enjoyed the flavor (blue mahoe smells f'n amazing when you work it. ive thought about trying to gather some of the saw dust as a kind of incense hehe, so I'm not a partial judge here). Going a different direction, I have extremely low expectations for the marblewood though... that one stinks like burnt popcorn when you work it... I hope its not like starting with/having a permanent combustion taste hehe. we'll see.

I've already dropped one, and my heart jumped out of my throat then I remembered there wasn't any glass in it. and that was a huge relief hehe.

NimChimpsky

I wouldn't say I'm a flavor snob, but I had to sell my tinymight because it had some kind of fish oil flavor that never really went away. So I definitely understand flavor can be a deal breaker on these things. I ran a blue mahoe without glass for 2 weeks and Im not sure if there was no flavor imparted, or If I just enjoyed the flavor (blue mahoe smells f'n amazing when you work it. ive thought about trying to gather some of the saw dust as a kind of incense hehe, so I'm not a partial judge here). Going a different direction, I have extremely low expectations for the marblewood though... that one stinks like burnt popcorn when you work it... I hope its not like starting with/having a permanent combustion taste hehe. we'll see.

I've already dropped one, and my heart jumped out of my throat then I remembered there wasn't any glass in it. and that was a huge relief hehe.
The glassless blue mahoe sounds promising, I would def be into trying one of those out! Especially for out of the house use, since I'm always worried of breaking my glass ones on the go.

FearAndLawyering

Does look great @FearAndLawyering Yeah I know I'm happy to have glass in mine, personally... Is that a blue mahoe in between the marble wood and bloodwood?? Such a dark grained bold beautiful piece!!
sure is. my new daily driver probably. if anyone else knows where to find some more blue mahoe to buy lemme know. preferably 1.5x1.5…. ‘woodcraft’ stores. next paycheck i’m doing a road trip to get some more lol, bought out everything local.

I hope the spalted works out ok, i have enough to do about a dozen more bodies, came from this block - i didn’t cut it down as evenly as i would’ve liked though… blame the tools hehe

FearAndLawyering

Ok just tested the spalted and marblewood without glass. I forgot to turn down the temp to really focus on flavor, but for my regular settings/usage I didn't notice anything. I will get more glass to do another comparison but Im pretty happy with the results.

Razhumikin

Been enjoying my cosmic xtractor quite a lot, great job @FearAndLawyering!!! Been using it on my dna mod in ss430, with max watts 50 and set to 350 F, and have been rewarded with beautiful flavor and nice clouds. The combination of the z heater and the glassless design is great, theres almost no heat up time and the flavor is entirely unaffected by the marblewood. The only problem im having is some central hotspotting, but its pretty minor. For $120 its more than worth it, and it beats the pants off of most vapes on the market right now. Cant wait to see how it continues to evolve!!!

Last edited:

FearAndLawyering

status update - I'm doing small batches right now so I can iterate on different design points and making rigs so I can make them faster/more consistent. Example design change - move the air holes to the bottom (less draw resistance). Example rig - folding heater meshes (more consistent resistance values). Every week I'm ordering new tools and bits to make the process more efficient.

ordering - Still figuring this out. I occasionally have some on hand, I've been posting most of them to entexchange as they're available. There are a few no-glass ones that will be finished up soon. Mainly I have a bunch of rounded/pre-drilled bodies - I think I will get some new nicer lights, photograph and let people pick specific bodies and options (glass/no glass)

international shipping - I haven't yet but I would be open to it in a case by case basis

FearAndLawyering

quick update - been sick, everyone in the house got pneumonia (not covid related) and my gf had to go the the hospital for a few days. she’s back home now and we’ve all just been resting and recovering.

i finished rigs for folding heaters and cutting glass, they work great. i expect everything to be faster to build and perform more consistently.

i did an inventory of parts and only have about a dozen heaters left. finding new equivalent parts online has been hard. this is probably going to force me to try to switch over to an all in one unit faster than before - they wouldn’t be dependent on any 510 connectors.

dimmusp

How is the airpath? How are you arranging any wires, solder, etc? What type of stainless steel are you using for the heater?

Thanks

dimmusp,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
quick update - been sick, everyone in the house got pneumonia (not covid related) and my gf had to go the the hospital for a few days. she’s back home now and we’ve all just been resting and recovering.

i finished rigs for folding heaters and cutting glass, they work great. i expect everything to be faster to build and perform more consistently.

i did an inventory of parts and only have about a dozen heaters left. finding new equivalent parts online has been hard. this is probably going to force me to try to switch over to an all in one unit faster than before - they wouldn’t be dependent on any 510 connectors.

Sorry to hear you and family weren't feeling well, hospitals too ugh, but glad you are feeling better now and hope she is too!!

How is the airpath? How are you arranging any wires, solder, etc? What type of stainless steel are you using for the heater?

Thanks

If you're asking about the current 510 model, the air path is just like the splinter and so is the heater, 316 stainless steel mesh, air path through the wood and glass up in through the heater (ceramic insulator plate?) then vapor path through whatever glass stem... I don't think there is any wires or solder, when you're using the 510 deck this way, but I'm not sure about that, or maybe you were asking about plans for the all in one unit...? Either way this is all just my own understanding of course, manufacturer will pipe up themselves! :D

Razhumikin

Hope you and yours are feeling better soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom