Cops r at it again

max

Out to lunch
I might agree that at least the original cop involved was an asshole. The other one may not have known the true situation. But your post, along with your thread title, kind of implies that all cops are assholes. And that's just not true, no matter what you may believe.

max,

Nosferatu

This is ridiculous, we have these fucking idiots running the USA now.

Am I just really vaked or does the author of the article change context in the middle of sentences or just plain have poor sentence structure or something?

Nosferatu,
haha ran into the same problem here. Half way through his work he starts to reiterate everything all over again. haha.

must've been vaked himself. . . probably a deadline though.

biojuggernaut,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I didn't think it was the worst report in the world , but not that clear. I'm vaked and had to read several times, and then had to re-read it once more to figure out what you guys were on about! :lol: I think that they could have emphasised better for the reader that the first account was according to the lawsuit filed by the family, yet the second one in more detail was from the cop's report.

Sloppy journalism nonetheless though- I've never heard of a 'donnybrook', which must be a US term- I'm surprised news journalist can get away with using such slang.

And yeah, shitty cops. Max is right that they're not all arseholes, although the job can attract more than it's share of a certain kind of self righteous, anus type personalities. In many other cases though power corrupts and cynicism develops and a lot that join up a good individuals become jaded and are arseholes too in the end. That development is probably seen as part of the road to promotion even, and the 'good' ones though of as naive or idealistic :2c:

WatTyler,

lepstadder

Well all cops are not assholes

But it takes a certain type of person to be in a profession that routinely ruins families and lives, to know that you may have to deny someone rights and remove their freedoms(insert comment about how the judge does that not the cops...) as part of your job description over something you know is not actually wrong.

But some cops are member of LEAP and work toward making our world a better place to live

But they are caught in an environment that breeds a perceived superiority and fall for the notion that the public does not understand.

I have family in the PD and FD and so I understand first hand how they like to operate

Fudging facts, denying citizen reports and not following procedure are all part of the game, and the excuses is that its a dangerous game and the public does not understand the dangers

The danger that their actions will be held accountable and that they may one day have to face the same type of personal responsibility for their actions that is expected of us

lepstadder,

Qbit

cannabanana
Of course the biggest issue regarding cops here on FC has to do with enforcement of drug laws.

The fact is that the Drug War is such a massive part of the criminal justice system in most jurisdictions, and anyone who is professionally involved in enforcing those laws (whether police, criminal prosecutors, judiciary or detention facility professionals) has profited from and shares responsibility for the horrendous effects of that 'war'. They knew that from the beginning, and they didn't have to take up that line of work if they disagreed with it. So police either go into their job not having any real clue about the nature of criminalised drugs, the Drug War and the role they will play in it (in which case they're naive), or they do know but don't care (which makes them arseholes).

Qbit,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
use of force to subdue people who have done no wrong

it's normal and within policy, yes, so they can always say the rule book permits it.
same thing with civilians getting killed at vehicle check-points in Iraq and Afghanistan, use of force begets violence.

Which is why the police are supposed to avoid contact unless they suspect a crime has been commited, to minimize civilian deaths. And to remind them they're not policing against things that don't fit with their values.

We can think this is unexcuseable, but until we get our politicians to believe we give a crap, nothing will change.

they just widened the FBI's policies to allow investigations of individuals with no warrant or legal predicate. So when you see something on TV that says the search wasn't valid, that's from a by-gone era. Not in america anymore, no warrants needed, and no question as to whether a search was within scope or proper anymore.

We just let 9/11 disolve all the gains in personal rights since COINTELPRO

why Cointelpro was so bad for the USA: COINTELPRO on Democracy Now

VWFringe,
Top Bottom