Cool Music to Vape to - Part 2

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Can't find the whole album, but the first track alone is so achingly beautiful, it needs to be heard:

"Making Music" by Zakir Hussain (with Hari Prasad Chaurasia, John McLaughlin and Jan Garbarek).

Live fairly recently:

Zakir Hussain & Rakesh Chaurasia | EtnoKraków/Rozstaje 2015 | Crossroads Festival & Euroradio EBU

And this, too, why not...Fantastic!:

Zakir Hussain - The Elements: Space

Artist: Zakir Hussain
Album: The Elements: Space
Year: 1995

0:00 Shwas-uchhashwas / The Beginning
9:56 Deep Space
16:56 The Zen Of Space
29:30 Brahmand / The Final Frontier

"Space, the sky, ether... an element which has a vastness of concept, with many dimensions beyond those that are most obvious. I felt there were two approaches, the mythological and the logical, and I have used both in exploring this theme.

In "Shwas-uchhashwas", the first track, I have taken the mythological / religious point of view, envisaging the creation, with chaos, and the gods bringing an order to what they had wrought. But one of the first disciplines is breath, that breath which creates an airy vacuum between things, providing each with its own individual orbit, or what we would call space. Thus the concept of shwas-uchhashwas, the in-and out-breath, and the space in between, which is the universe. In "Shwas-uchhaswas" I have dealt with space around us as well as the space within, it reminds us where we came from. But, expressed through Raga Lalit, there is a sense of beginning, of the dawning of the first day; and the melodic tones ni-sa-re of the Vedic chant used for the shlokas are present in Lalit as well.

Having explored the space above, I have explored the space below : water and the space within that atmosphere, the image created and the whole different world that it offers. Space underwater is gigantic, beautiful; there are grottos, valleys, yet the depths have a sinister quality. I have tried to convey simply, minimally, a journey through this adventure zone in "Deep Space".

The next track, "The Zen of Space", demands the listener's attention and participation. Here we're exploring the extent of sound in a physical environment, like bouncing a radio wave through the ether and hearing it return in a different way, with different contours of pulse and beat. As the sounds reverberate, it gives the sense of ether vibrating and a feeling of the depth of space. This track relies on pure organic sound. There is silence too; those silent intervals are also space. In a rhythm cycle, each beat, pulse, attack, is itself a micro rhythm-cycle. I pause at each pulse and explore it and come closer to the roots of my creativity. The humming of the Tibetan bowl is a focal point of this sparse and austere composition, very much in the spirit of Zen, with a sense of fusing, of coming together, from nothing to everything, and I've always wanted to create that. Each listener will find his own interpretation of this track.

Brahmand, the Cosmos, is also the Final Frontier, and the last and longest track on this album. It's a concept in sound of the solar system, the cosmos, the planets. Each of these celestial bodies -- the sun, Jupiter, Mercury -- is identified by a sound, raw at first, which recurs at intervals, as we are following their orbit. As they start to learn their place, their discipline, they are represented by drums. Earth and Venus take the form of male and female voice respectively. Then we have the modern aspect of space, rockets, telecommunications and so on. But we go beyond space, or Space, into the Milky Way, an exploration of mystery, of infinity ... and yet another dimension."

~ ZAKIR HUSSAIN

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
My good old buddy bought me this album when it came out in '95. They found him dead of a heart attack in his apartment a couple of years ago... RIP Phil.

ab67616d0000b2733fc25fdf84a64c7d99a73a34

Here's the single, a great video about victimless crime:

John Prine - Aint Hurtin Nobody

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Here's another Dylan protégé, and another holiday gift given to me back when it came out around 2000, but by a dif buddy that died of a 'bad liver and a broken heart' (mostly just the cirrhosis) about 5 years ago... RIP "Crazy Dave"...

I saw Earle along with CSN and Lucinda Williams, 8/7/04, with my then, pregnant with our first, wife, at the Newport Folk Fest... LOVE this whole album:

Steve Earle - Transcendental Blues

This stellar album was a gift, as well, back when it was released ('98?) by the friend that died alone of a heart attack:

Lucinda Williams - "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road" [Live from Austin, TX]

JBone65

Blast from the past... Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green) wrote Black Magic Woman, the song that Santana made famous. A very young Carlos traveled to London, found Peter Green and bought the rights before Woodstock. The original version finishes differently.

Oh Well Part 2 is a slow instrumental, odd. Few people have even heard it. It starts at the 2:20 minute mark in the second video. Not long after this Peter blew his mind on LSD and left the band.

One more, Albatross.

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Speaking of Herbie Hancock, I'm sure many of you a very familiar with Herbie's Headhunter's mid 70's, popular recording of this track, but did you know that not only did he write this standard, he recorded it on his first Blue Note record in '62....?:

Watermelon Man (Remastered)

Released on: 1962-01-01

Associated Performer, Piano: Herbie Hancock
Associated Performer, Tenor Saxophone: Dexter Gordon
Associated Performer, Trumpet: Freddie Hubbard
Associated Performer, Bass (Vocal): Butch Warren
Associated Performer, Drums: Billy Higgins

Producer: Alfred Lion
Studio Personnel, Recording Engineer, Mastering Engineer: Rudy Van Gelder
Composer Lyricist: Herbie Hancock

Varden

@Bologna if you want to go historical, the track became really famous when Mongo Santamaria recorded a bogaloo version of it. From sorospedia:

Hancock filled in for pianist Chick Corea in Mongo Santamaría's band one weekend at a nightclub in The Bronx when Corea gave notice that he was leaving. Hancock played the tune for Santamaría at friend Donald Byrd's urging. Santamaría started accompanying him on his congas, then his band joined in, and the small audience slowly got up from their tables and started dancing, laughing and having a great time. Santamaría later asked Hancock if he could record the tune. On December 17, 1962, Mongo Santamaría recorded a three-minute version, suitable for radio, where he joined timbalero Francisco "Kako" Baster in a cha-cha beat, while drummer Ray Lucas performed a backbeat.[7] With the enthusiasm of record producer Orrin Keepnews, the band re-recorded the song and released it as a single under Battle Records.[8][9] The single reached number 10 on Billboard in 1963.[10] Santamaría included the track on his album Watermelon Man! (1963). Santamaría's recording is sometimes considered the beginning of Latin boogaloo, a fusion of Afro-Cuban rhythms with those of R&B

Funny how life works sometimes.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
@Bologna if you want to go historical, the track became really famous when Mongo Santamaria recorded a bogaloo version of it. From sorospedia:

Funny how life works sometimes.

I assume you posted this...?:

MONGO SANTAMARIA WATERMELON MAN
If so, your linked version is "unavailable in this country" (USA), which is why I usually cut and paste the file name/title just above the vid...:tup:

Thanks for the info tho, I did not know this...! I got a mint condition (still is :brow:) copy of Herbie Hancock Best of Blue Note double vinyl that has this on it back in the late 80's...! Good stuff!

Here's a couple of other favs off this great compilation:
MTktNDkxMy5qcGVn.jpeg

Blind Man, Blind Man (Remastered)

Succotash (Remastered)

LOVE Herbie!!

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
It is a different recording with some small changes, but yes, that's the track.
Cool! HIGH-5!! whiPPish...!!

"The popularity of the piece, due primarily to Mongo Santamaría, paid Hancock's bills for five or six years."
No doubt, as I'm sure Miles probably didn't pay all that much...:tup::

From wiki:

Second Great Quintet (1964–68)

"Mobley, Kelly, Chambers, and Cobb all left Davis by the end of 1962, and during 1963 he struggled to maintain a steady line-up. By the late spring, he had hired the core of the Second Quintet with Herbie Hancock on piano, Ron Carter on bass, and Tony Williams on drums. Initially with George Coleman or Sam Rivers on tenor sax, the final member of the quintet arrived in late 1964 when saxophonist Wayne Shorter joined."

Here's an often cited VERY important track from the first incarnation of this heralded, groundbreaking lineup... it don't get much faster than 'Walkin':

Walkin' [2022 Remaster] (Live at Philharmonic Hall, New York, NY - February 1964)
I cannot recommend this record HIGHly enough!!

And searching for that, I just found this!! wOOt! wOOt! NEW old music!!:

Miles Davis - The Lost Septet [Full Album]

1971 / 2020

Miles Davis - The Lost Septet

Tracklist:
00:00 / Directions
15:30 / Honky Tonk
28:48 / What I Say
45:00 / Sanctuary
51:40 / It's About That Time
01:06:05 / Yesternow
01:21:02 / Funky Tonk
01:40:36 / Sanctuary (Reprise)

:peace:

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
WOW! Never saw this before... fan-freakin-tastic!:

Ron Carter's Greatest Solo (on ELECTRIC bass)

Ron is the MAN! Only seen him live twice, once with Billy Higgins and the Cedar Walton Trio, whom I both "met" between sets BOTH nights at the Regattaahh Baaahhh in the Charles Hotel in Haahhvaahhd Squeayaahh, Cambridge... Ron tho, he's too "big" to just hangout and field idiots like me.... the other time was at the 1369 Jazz Club in Inmans Squeayaahh, Cambridge supporting Kevin Eubanks.... which was also mind-blowing, of course.. .🤯

Edit: One of the best "fusion" records of all-time, imo... Freddie is a MONSTER...!:

FREDDIE HUBBARD - Red Clay LP 1970 Full Album
DISCO É CULTURA

Tracklist

A1 Red Clay 00:00
A2 Delphia 12:11
B1 Suite Sioux 19:29
B2 The Intrepid Fox 28:15

Credits

Trumpet, Written-By – Freddie Hubbard
Bass – Ron Carter
Drums – Lenny White
Piano – Herbie Hancock
Saxophone – Joe Henderson

Producer – Creed Taylor
Design [Album] – Tony Lane
Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder
Photography By [Cover] – Price Givens

Recorded At – Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey

Label - CTI Records
A Division of Creed Taylor, Inc.

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Nice @Gunky! Good to know there's more jazz heads here... I'll see your 1966 jazz suggestion(s) and raise you with one of my own, and is quite possibly my all-time fav jazz recording from that year (the year I was born.)

I was lucky enough to meet Jimmy Smith once between sets as I was watching him tinker and toil with his rented B3... he actually leaned the back panel towards me and asked me to hold it for him and when he was done he shook my hand and handed me a business card that said:

Jimmy Smith
World's Greatest Organist

Ha! I still have it in a box somewhere, too... classic. Anyway, look how baked-out these cats must be thowin' down them hoagies like that...!:
51C3OON2t2L.jpg

JIMMY AND WES THE DYNAMIC DUO

Down by the Riverside - 0:00
Night Train - 10:18
James and Wes - 17:17
13 (Death March) - 25:45
Baby, It's Cold Outside - 31:17

:peace:

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.
WOW! Never saw this before... fan-freakin-tastic!:

Ron Carter's Greatest Solo (on ELECTRIC bass)

Ron is the MAN! Only seen him live twice, once with Billy Higgins and the Cedar Walton Trio, whom I both "met" between sets BOTH nights at the Regattaahh Baaahhh in the Charles Hotel in Haahhvaahhd Squeayaahh, Cambridge... Ron tho, he's too "big" to just hangout and field idiots like me.... the other time was at the 1369 Jazz Club in Inmans Squeayaahh, Cambridge supporting Kevin Eubanks.... which was also mind-blowing, of course.. .🤯

Edit: One of the best "fusion" records of all-time, imo... Freddie is a MONSTER...!:

FREDDIE HUBBARD - Red Clay LP 1970 Full Album
DISCO É CULTURA

Tracklist

A1 Red Clay 00:00
A2 Delphia 12:11
B1 Suite Sioux 19:29
B2 The Intrepid Fox 28:15

Credits

Trumpet, Written-By – Freddie Hubbard
Bass – Ron Carter
Drums – Lenny White
Piano – Herbie Hancock
Saxophone – Joe Henderson

Producer – Creed Taylor
Design [Album] – Tony Lane
Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder
Photography By [Cover] – Price Givens

Recorded At – Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey

Label - CTI Records
A Division of Creed Taylor, Inc.

Only recently found him. Damn good.
Must have been increadible live. wish i had seen it. Really liking the yellow green album.
I had Just posted Yellow and green and Sunshower on the 70s music thread before coming to this one and seeing your post.

I always liked this Guitar version of red clay too ,by Jack wilkins.

Last edited:
Top Bottom