convection vs conduction

XpeeN

I tried a conduction vape for the first tine today, I guess my experience bring this thread back to life lol

I tried the starry v3. Yuck, my convection vapes taste WAY better, from the first hit to the very last! I thought about taking the starry with me overseas before using it, but now I prefer to buy a new v3 pro instead and actually enjoy the herb lol (I can't bring my glow with me 😢 )

Edit: forgot to mention that the high wasn't as good either, comparing to the same amount in a single session.

Last edited:

R1ng0

My two fave vapes are for a session taste and no stirring a tight pack on a IQ2 using my lil finger pinkie tip to tamp it down so the tTerp Pearl pushes in snug to the herb when it shuts making sure the magnetic catch functions, then I add a glass tip to use my budgie water tool this lasts for 3 sessions and I'm nicely toasted.

If I just want to get blasted I use my TM2 on setting 4 tight pack medium plate loaded the same way I do my solo II another great vape btw. Now you can all correct me if I'm wrong but the tm2 is convection and the iQ2 conduction, and like I said they both have their uses packed tight neither need stirring but for taste the IQ2 flav chamber takes some beating. For let's get ripped super quick the TM2 has replaced both my mighty and my crafty which are both hybrids.

So there you go horses for courses.

Don't walk on the grass vape it

R1ng0,

GoldenBud

and I just tried a conduction vape... the Vapman...
well that changed my perception in the other direction! 😉
I probably won't try any other conduction vape, but this one is...yum!
because gold doesn't react with oxygen, never, and that's why it's so expensive too
the gold coating makes it the most tasty conduction vape out there (I think)
it's a brilliant vape because of that, small vape too, a lot of advantages

hinglemccringleberry

I tried a conduction vape for the first tine today, I guess my experience bring this thread back to life lol

I tried the starry v3. Yuck, my convection vapes taste WAY better, from the first hit to the very last! I thought about taking the starry with me overseas before using it, but now I prefer to buy a new v3 pro instead and actually enjoy the herb lol (I can't bring my glow with me 😢 )

Edit: forgot to mention that the high wasn't as good either, comparing to the same amount in a single session.
Do your convection vapes tastes better because they're convection or because they're well built and engineered? From what I've read, the convection v3 pro has "meh" flavor. Many people have said the Vapman (conduction) is one of the best tasting herb vapes ever built and it seems unanimous that The Vapman beats the V3 Pro in flavor all day. The post 2 posts above this one explains why the Vapman is so good...And it has nothing to do with convection heating.
I get stellar flavor from my Ti Dynavap if I keep it clean and heat slow and low.
Ive used both types and I truly feel that the first 1 or 2 "terp" hits at low temp are equally tasty between conduction, convection and hybrid vapes. Pure convection flavor is only superior on the roasty hits (the last few to several hits of a bowl) because it has more detail in the flavor during that phase of the load extraction, and is not 'muted' like the last hits of a conduction bowl (muted at best, burnt popcorn at worst). I notice on my Milaana 3 that it is specifically the high-temp hits that have more detail in the flavor than any of my conduction vapes. But for the terpy low temp hits, the flavor strength is all the same and it doesn't matter what heating method it is as long as the device is well engineered.

Last edited:

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.
Each to there own..... I like my AVB dark, and fully extracted.
So FuckConduction ! And that burnt popcorn taste.....
Speaking as a medical user who quit combustion for 7 months and conduction for 5.5 months.
I found conduction doesnt seem to get full extraction, and although some conduction is almost inevitable, it seems using a cold bowl each time (im running hot temps) with small doses improves flavour, anyone else find this? (using a ceroma or herborizer)
Need a portable convection vape tho' and my 10.8 volt drill driver died but the battery didnt, when i get to it going to rig it up to my Herborizer through the 12 volt car adaptor and see.... portable power Baby, have a lolly pop...
Unless a fuse pops..... But again, Each to there Own.....

Last edited:
Curious Gorilla,

hinglemccringleberry

I don't get burnt popcorn flavor from any of my current conduction vapes. My Ti Dynavap has good flavor on the roasty high-temp hits. It's just that the Milaana does it even better.

I know concentrate users who think all herb vapes taste like shit, including the high-end 100% convection all-glass pathway vapes. So yes, to each their own..

Last edited:

XpeeN

Do your convection vapes tastes better because they're convection or because they're well built and engineered? From what I've read, the convection v3 pro has "meh" flavor. Many people have said the Vapman (conduction) is one of the best tasting herb vapes ever built and it seems unanimous that The Vapman beats the V3 Pro in flavor all day. The post 2 posts above this one explains why the Vapman is so good...And it has nothing to do with convection heating.
I get stellar flavor from my Ti Dynavap if I keep it clean and heat slow and low.
Ive used both types and I truly feel that the first 1 or 2 "terp" hits at low temp are equally tasty between conduction, convection and hybrid vapes. Pure convection flavor is only superior on the roasty hits (the last few to several hits of a bowl) because it has more detail in the flavor during that phase of the load extraction, and is not 'muted' like the last hits of a conduction bowl (muted at best, burnt popcorn at worst). I notice on my Milaana 3 that it is specifically the high-temp hits that have more detail in the flavor than any of my conduction vapes. But for the terpy low temp hits, the flavor strength is all the same and it doesn't matter what heating method it is as long as the device is well engineered.
I'm actually gonna try the v3 pro for the first time this week, so I'll let you know how is it compared to my glow :)
And I forgot to mention, turns out that starry unit had a weird taste in general, even after deep cleaning, maybe because she left ABV in the chamber for god knows how long.

GoldenBud

I'm actually gonna try the v3 pro for the first time this week, so I'll let you know how is it compared to my glow :)
I wouldn't count on it, but give us an update when it arrives... I'd say the Glow's taste beats the v3 pro but never tried the v3 pro, something tells me that because the Glow's base is wider, and there's wood covering the base, it'll taste better....but.... who knows ;)

GoldenBud,

fubar

Ancient and opiniated inhaler
tl;dr I like both, since they work together in different ways in different devices to satisfy individual tastes and needs. It's the balance between convection and conduction that will determine the extraction/flavour profile at any given device temperature setting. If a dry herb vaporiser tastes like crap, there might be something you can do to improve the balance.

Some physics:
  • Hot air can't go through solid bits of weed.
    • It has to flow around them.
    • Convection can only carry heat to the outer surface of each weed fragment where it flows by.
  • Heat can only get inside the fragment by conduction of that originally convected heat
  • Same goes for "pure" radiation heating.
So any satisfactory "convection" device is probably relying on conduction to get heat inside each crumb of flower. Doesn't really make sense to me to think of conduction versus convection. A balance is what I am really after for a satisfactory extraction profile.

Personal observations:
  • DDave glassware on an old Arizer EQ desktop and a Freight Train pid/coil/ball injector - both pretty much "pure convection" setups I use regularly. Best for me when the load is at least slightly packed together. It might just be me, but the stock FT glass adapter screen arrangement does not extract as efficiently as a lightly packed DDave stainless mesh cup.
  • Same for my other rotation - a more "conduction and convection" steel stem on an underdog - weed needs to be lightly packed for best extraction for me.
  • Arizer EQ stock glassware convection "cyclone" bowl. Weed crumbs bounce around in hot air, mostly heated at the surface, so even slower to extract than a similar setup in the stock Freight Train adapter. Of course, each crumb mass will conduct heat internally over time. But it seems to work much better when the weed is held together, even in the crappy (IMHO) stock EQ elbow pack.

So, what does packing the weed in a convection vape have to do with conduction?

Theory:
A packed load has many more physical contact opportunities for the entire mass of plant to heat by conduction.
Lightly packed so decent convection heating can take place from a large volume of hot air passing through.
Depending on the weed particle size and degree of compression, increasing conduction between contact points allows the entire packed mass to heat more efficiently from any given amount of convected heat. Packing/grinding is where you can modulate the conduction heat transfer rate in the extraction profile for most convection devices. Limited range because too tight => lower air flow and lower rate of convected heat transfer.

(Side note: Interesting that for my other favourite drug, for any given machine, setting and roast, the grind and pack modulate the espresso extraction profile too.)

Last edited:

dabears4evar

Love my Arizers... Had a Q tower first which was way too much machine for just myself. Got an Air and now got me a Solo! :)

dabears4evar,
Top Bottom