convection vs conduction

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
my mrs moans about the smell all the time. She used to moan i'd go outside for a joint when i smoked. Now she moans about the smell of my vape. I guess it does smell a bit but it's nothing a window open wouldn't clear pretty quick.

I live in Brighton in the UK and it's pretty laid back as there's people enjoying the herb everywhere.

If your at home and not causing anyone any bother. Then its all good. But i completely understand different areas view things differently. And some people just can't seem to get over the fact it's safer than alcohol, smoking cigarettes, some pescription meds. And that there's all kinds of people from all walks of life enjoying the herb and still enjoying a healthy happy lifestyle.

I'll be in Eastbourne this weekend, at my mates place, playing poker, board games and showing off my new hopper / orbiter combo.

My mates place is 8 floors up so really looking forward to the fireworks.

Yeh I haven't got to worry about it myself as I can vape at home freely, no one cares and I'm free to basically do what I want however I want.

But you gotta respect everyones opinion. Some vapes are definately alot more stealth when heating.

My friends wife is fairly laid back to be fair and she's only trying to avoid receiving evils from the other people on their housing estate.

It does highlight the stealth factor of a convection vape though, they do in my experience seem to smell less. Having said that I used to use @Ratchett PAX2 caps to solve that issue. Take a hit, turn it off, put on the caps, sorted. http://delta3dstudios.com/pax-caps-pair/

I saw a vid of someone hitting a pax on a plane. They were using some gadget to exhale the vapour into and it kinda absorbs it so it doesn't smell. Worth looking into

You are thinking of the smoke buddy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smoke-Buddy-Personal-Filter-Black/dp/B009YZQ7TK

91gGDBmSANL._SL1500_.jpg

There is also the Smoke buddy jr, the sploofy and some other brands but they are all essentially either a charcoal filter or a sponge filter with some scent on it.

I've not tried any of them, again I just don't care who knows I vape and I can handle waiting until I'm home or out of the public's direct line of sight/smell before taking a hit. Gotta say the GrassHopper is great for that scenario.

Baron23

@GreenHopper my mrs moans about the smell all the time. She used to moan i'd go outside for a joint when i smoked. Now she moans about the smell of my vape. I guess it does smell a bit but it's nothing a window open wouldn't clear pretty quick. I live in Brighton in the UK and it's pretty laid back as there's people enjoying the herb everywhere. If your at home and not causing anyone any bother. Then its all good. But i completely understand different areas view things differently. And some people just can't seem to get over the fact it's safer than alcohol, smoking cigarettes, some pescription meds. And that there's all kinds of people from all walks of life enjoying the herb and still enjoying a healthy happy lifestyle. But you gotta respect everyones opinion. Some vapes are definately alot more stealth when heating. I saw a vid of someone hitting a pax on a plane. They were using some gadget to exhale the vapour into and it kinda absorbs it so it doesnt smell. Worth looking into

@Baron23 i have looked at it. I just hate the look of it lol. I no i shouldn't be worried bout that. I'm gonna look at it again and watch some vids on it. :-) see if it grows on me.
Different vapes for different people. I think the function and price are outstanding.

However, it feels plasticy (it does have a good bit of plastic) and its Mighty sized so not real small.

If not your thing...I understand completely. It was just a suggestion :cheers:

Longen

@GreenHopper Nice. Well enjoy your weekend dude. I have to wait until i'm home from work then i vape. Only time out and about is when i'm walking the dogs and i just take my flowermate people just think its an ecig mod lol. I'm so thankfull for vapes tho and how far they've come. Now i dont feel guily when im getting high like i used to when i smoked lol

@Baron23 All things i like to look at as it's not always about looks etc. So i appreciate your advice. I think as i have another 3 vapes this one's just my christmas gift to myself for the year from my overtime i've been doing. I could still end up getting one of these next year somepoint as i have some weekend work available soon which could get me a CFX lol.

Last edited:
Longen,

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Than you will like the CFX. Big clouds, no technique needed. I just works.

Not saying anything negative about the IQ. It has piqued my interest but I would like to see it out in the wild a bit for $275 (NOTE: corrected price...I had thought it was $350 but that's not accurate).

Also, the CFX heated to 365 in 22 seconds....that's dang fast.

Sounds good actually, 22 seconds is fast, I will not be getting an IQ despite that little VAS voice at the back of my head. I just can't justify it as I have the PAX2 for conduction session vaping.

The Vapes I'm VASing the most on at the moment are:

HomeGrownLogs
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/homegrownlogs.21299/page-15#post-1042003

Especially the concept of a dock and semi cordless idea http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/homegrownlogs.21299/page-14#post-1027263

and

OmniVap
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-314#post-1042737
http://www.dynavap.com/product/omnivap/

also worthy of attention just for the concept:

The Okin
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-okin-by-d-m-pipes.15370/

GreenHopper,
Reactions: Longen

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
There's so many bullshit in that infographic, please stop propagating it.

:shit:

We don't learn anything if you don't explain your position.

I'm not saying you are wrong I just don't know what info you are actually objecting to.

GreenHopper,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
We don't learn anything if you don't explain your position.

I'm not saying you are wrong I just don't know what info you are actually objecting to.
Well the pros and cons are wrong, that's for starters. I have seen conduction vaporizers heatup slower than convection, and vice versa. It depends on the vape and how it's built, not what type of heater method it's using. Conduction vapes can also have fairly accurate temperature controllers (so no pro to the convection), both conduction and convection vapes can risk combustion if they are capable of reaching temperatures in combustion range (usually over 460F) - Doesn't matter what heat source you use. Hit 470F and you're gonna have a bad time. I also have used conduction vaporizers which could achieve a 100% extraction with no need for stirring.

In reality the only part of it that actually really helps is the top half of the chart explaining the definition of conduction and convection.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
You spared me having to answer mostly!

It might have made some sense at some point in the past, maybe if for the conduction device they meant something very crude not far from the hot plates design, and if for the convection device they meant something with the heater isolated from the air path like the Vapolution2.

But check the "BULLI" and "Project" threads in the DIY subforum and you will see that you can get a killer convection vape for $30 (the Project) or build your own for around $15 (custom 510 RDA) that gets to temperature in around 5 seconds or less from cold, but has a not very precise temperature control (the e-cig box mod part), can combust if not careful and requires stirring to get even extraction... This is exactly the inverse of all the pros and cons listed for convection.

Conduction is not necessarily cheaper (cf Ascent and upcoming IQ), it's about the same level of complexity to design (instead of having an exposed coil you wrap it around a ceramic bowl), I can't combust in any of my conduction vapes no matter how hard I try, they do heat fast (especially the FM5-Pro) but most are around 40 seconds when my Milaana is near instant (5 seconds from cold to get first hit), and I never have to stir as the ABV is superbly even.

Really it depends on the vape under consideration, on a case by case basis. I can't even find a single generality to say about either heating mode. I'm tempted to say "convection is usually more power hungry" but it's not even true as I can get on demand vapor with the Project with as low as 20W....

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I love my mighty and it is both conduction and convection. I found that 359*f on my unit is the sweet spot where the effects are balanced and I get tasty vapour right to the end. i find that if I increase the temp it conducts too much and will cook the bowl too fast killing flavour.

As for extraction I think conduction has some advantages over non fan assisted convection vapes. I notice that with my Herbalizer it takes a second or two of drawing before vapour slowly starts to produce. Compared to the mighty where it is producing clouds almost the instant it hits temp. I also notice that if I don't draw hard or use the fan on my Herbalizer I don't get a full extraction.

My thought is that this is because the herb is being maintained at the target temp with conduction, versus in convection it is only being heated when air is passing over it. These heating methods have pros and cons associated with how you use your vapes. For example my mighty will cook a bowl of weed if I turn it on and forget about it because it is convection. If I do the same with my Herbalizer the bowl is still fairly fresh when I come back to it.

Baron23

I just can't justify it as I have the PAX2 for conduction session vaping.

To me, the Pax and the IQ are designed to fill the same vape ecology niche, about the same price, and if I were you and had a Pax 2 I also would probably be looking at something else than the IQ as my my next vape. :tup:

Also, as I posted on the previous page, I agree completely with @KeroZen and @Ratchett on the inaccuracies and basic uselessness of that graphic. Glad you are having it annotated, its just wrong on many levels.

hinglemccringleberry

I've got a pure convection vape and a pure conduction vape. I don't think the convection vape tastes better than the conduction vape. It simply tastes good in a different way. The biggest difference I can see is that the conduction vapor is slightly harsher. I've heard people say the opposite, that convection is hotter and harsher due to the hot air, but that's not my experience with these 2 particular vapes.

Alex22887

vapetastic
I suppose if I compared convection vs conduction in a vacuum, with both vapes being perfect, then I might lean towards convection. However, the truth of the matter is that there isn't a perfect vape. It's more about finding the features you want in a vape that makes it superior over others. And of course, the quality of your session.

rozroz

is it possible that hot convection air (like GH)
can cause long term damage to throat/lungs?

rozroz,

duff

Well worn
I don't know if this is related to conduction/convection (any input appreciated here) but I get totally different levels of medicated when using my Grasshopper (convection) or my Crafty (conduction with a bit of convection).

With the same amount in each vape, I get much more medicated with my Crafty. With the Grasshopper, I can still maintain a semblance of sobriety and focus.

The Grasshopper traditionally is my weekday vape and the Crafty my weekend. I appreciate them both for different reasons. If I had to make a Sophie's Choice, I'd pick the Crafty, but mourn the Grasshopper.

rozroz

I don't know if this is related to conduction/convection (any input appreciated here) but I get totally different levels of medicated when using my Grasshopper (convection) or my Crafty (conduction with a bit of convection).

With the same amount in each vape, I get much more medicated with my Crafty. With the Grasshopper, I can still maintain a semblance of sobriety and focus.

The Grasshopper traditionally is my weekday vape and the Crafty my weekend. I appreciate them both for different reasons. If I had to make a Sophie's Choice, I'd pick the Crafty, but mourn the Grasshopper.

from what i read,
this is indeed accurate to a degree.
the hot air convection tends to make a different high,
maybe weaker to some, maybe the individual's usage give different results.
that's why i'm wondering whether convection is indeed more economical in terms of herb usage.

WeAreVenom

I vote for marijuana
So true, I remind myself of this every time I see someone selling a unit I was VASing for. Why did they sell it? i thought it was supposed to be perfect!

We all have a unique set of needs when searching for a vaporizer.

Then you have simple people like me.

Does it get me high off the weed? Yes? That's all I need it to do. I don't need to blow big clouds but at the same time if I'm gonnna spend money I will buy the best.

strictly vapor

I've always found convection to affect me more like oral ingestion where conduction/ conduction dominant hybrids to be heavier, combustion like effects (in a good way)

strictly vapor,
Reactions: Morty

david8613

I went through this, hebe titan 2 first, then boundless cfv, then a nokiva, and i have a boundless cfx on its way too me. I think i like hybrids convection/conduction, quick, simple, and great affects.

hillbill

Lifelong asthmatic here. Not serious or too limiting but conduction is much easier to inhale without coughing for me. People rave about the smoothness of convection but it makes me cough reactively on inhale.

The only convection I can live with is my Underdog but I must still be careful. Various Flowermates account for 80% or so of my use and the dog does the rest.

Smoking a joint is easier for me than vaping with onvection. Never was able to use a bong much either.

hillbill,
Reactions: Morty

max

Out to lunch
is it possible that hot convection air (like GH)
can cause long term damage to throat/lungs?
Hot air or vapor isn't a function of vape type, just the vaping temp and how close your mouth is to it. The user is always capable of controlling the vapor temp- even if the temp is set high your draw speed is very much a part of the equation. I've gotten too much vapor per hit many times, but needing water or extra length for the vapor path, for cooling, has never been a real issue for me. Smoke OTOH, is no longer tolerated by my lungs. I had to give up combustion over ten years ago. During the last decade + of vaporizing, I've used many different models/designs. Hot air has never been a real issue, no matter the design. I just compensate with my draw size/speed. Vapes with large bowls and large diameter vapor paths do bother me, since the vapor/air ratio is poor. It's not the temp of the hits that get me, just the volume of air, making me reach for the water bottle constantly to soothe my dry throat.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Different vaporizers for different days or times of the day. I have several vaporizers and have used some other units. Conduction or convection its all good. We all have different needs and different lifestyles. We are all coming from different areas with different norms.

Are you frying in a pan or baking in an oven, it's all excellent as long as you are happy and satisfied. In the beginning that's how I would remember conduction or convection. Are you getting good or excellent vapor flavor? I care about flavor, some folks don't. That surprises me. I use both types of vaporizers - some units seem to use a little of both IMO.

The Malaana heat is controlled by trigger which controls the battery and you control the speed and length of the draw. You decide the heat level that way. A good unit for the seasoned vaporist.

Last edited:

hinglemccringleberry

Can someone explain exactly how convection tastes better than conduction? I know the theory of why it tastes better but can someone give a more subjective comparison of the two? My only convection vape is the Sticky Brick Jr..... And call me a freak, but that is not the vape I would grab if I wanted to really taste my bud's terpenes. The woody signature interferes with that, IMHO. For terpene chasing I would grab either my Linx Gaia or my Alfa which are both conduction devices. The SBJ does taste good, but i simply dont perceive the true flavor profile with that vape compared to the other two. My sister tried the Alfa on a fresh load at low temps and she said it tasted like candy, to which I agree. Im still trying to figure out how it can get any better than tasting like candy, Lol. I just didnt get that same impression with the SBJ.
So if convection tastes better, is it because they both start out as equals, but the convection flavor doesnt turn "roasted" as quickly as it does with conduction vapes? Or do I need to try a convection vape not made out of wood?
I would love to try a FF2, CFV, Swift Pro but cant justify the cost, when the other reason im not in love with convection is the need to stir, just so I can deal with those long draws, which Im not a fan of anymore. I prefer sipping. I love the taste of both my conduction vapes, so dropping $300 on a FF2 just to have those hassles seems like a losing proposition for me.

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: KeroZen
Top Bottom