Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
The wedding cake rig should work fine. I'd just make sure to pay good money for a quality quartz or Ti nail. Those supplied China glass nails will disintegrate rather quickly... and I don't trust anything they say is "titanium".

As far as a 10mm Ti nail, I'm looking at these guys, cheap, but with documented US Gr 2 Ti:
http://www.new-vape.com/products.html

I agree with @Caligula ... the glass quality is less importaint than nail quality. a good nail is like having a good vape... but dabs!

Yup, as I've found with the D020. It's more the tolerances on the China glass are looser, and less QC, but they work great!

farscaper

As far as a 10mm Ti nail, I'm looking at these guys, cheap, but with documented US Gr 2 Ti:
http://www.new-vape.com/products.html

Yup, as I've found with the D020. It's more the tolerances on the China glass are looser, and less QC, but they work great!

my experience has led me to want to spend money on quality... its my preference... cause im the guy that always gets screwed by poor quality controls. id rather spend 100+ on a nice piece of art... than get fucked in the ass by a chinese sweatshop poor qc piece of... glass... cause that hurts even when its a metaphor! :rofl:

only my perspective... ive also been burnt by overpriced head shop glass too...

edit ive never heard of the ti company before...

Last edited:

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
my experience has led me to want to spend money on quality... its my preference... cause im the guy that always gets screwed by poor quality controls. id rather spend 100+ on a nice piece of art... than get fucked in the ass by a chinese sweatshop poor qc piece of... glass... cause that hurts even when its a metaphor! :rofl:

only my perspective... ive also been burnt by overpriced head shop glass too...

edit ive never heard of the ti company before...

Thanks for the input, but I don't want to get off track and start a discussion on China glass, we've already got one of those :lol:

I want your input on the aspects (size, features) that make a dab rig good, not the origin.

Last edited:

Bouldorado

I think it's easier to find cheap, quality Ti nails than it is to find cheap, quality glass.

For example, I bought a nail from this ebay seller. The nails are American made and use grade 2 Ti. Yes they're cheap, but it's totally feasible that they actually use grade 2.

I measured my domeless nail and it was ~23 x 50mm. Here's a link to a Ti seller. If you were to buy an 8 ft length, a domeless nail would only require ~$8.50 in Ti. And it would only get cheaper with larger purchase-amounts of Ti.

Bouldorado,

farscaper

I think it's easier to find cheap, quality Ti nails than it is to find cheap, quality glass.

For example, I bought a nail from this ebay seller. The nails are American made and use grade 2 Ti. Yes they're cheap, but it's totally feasible that they actually use grade 2.

I measured my domeless nail and it was ~23 x 50mm. Here's a link to a Ti seller. If you were to buy an 8 ft length, a domeless nail would only require ~$8.50 in Ti. And it would only get cheaper with larger purchase-amounts of Ti.
:lmao:
ive got a foot of solid g2 titanium bar... someone laythe me a nail!

could hang gutters with that size nail!

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!

Do they document American sourced Ti, or just made in the USA?

ive got a foot of solid g2 titanium bar... someone layhe me a nail!

I think that's do-able, might cost you more than a production item though.

Bouldorado

ive got a foot of solid g2 titanium bar... someone laythe me a nail!

could hang gutters with that size nail!

A while back I tried making a DIY e-nail from a Ti nail and a ceramic heating element. Didn't really hit that well, but I learned that Ti is fucking hard to work with. It took 30 min to drill through ~1/4" of material with a diamond coated bit. :bang:

Do they document American sourced Ti, or just made in the USA?

I think that's do-able, might cost you more than a production item though.

No, but to be fair even Highly Educated doesn't mention using American sourced Ti.

Bouldorado,
Reactions: farscaper

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
A while back I tried making a DIY e-nail from a Ti nail and a ceramic heating element. Didn't really hit that well, but I learned that Ti is fucking hard to work with. It took 30 min to drill through ~1/4" of material with a diamond coated bit. :bang:

No, but to be fair even Highly Educated doesn't mention using American sourced Ti.

I emailed them (coast to coast), let's see how they respond.

farscaper

really the savings would be to buy a couple feet of it... then send it to a machine shop equipt to work Ti and commission them to make several and sell them to recoupe a full profit!

if your gonna go to the trouble might as well make a buck... if you make one id buy it to support your cause

farscaper,

Caligula

Maximus
Quote honestly it doesn't really matter where it's sourced from as long as the manufacturer does proper QC/testing of their materials. For example I know W9 gets their GR2 Ti from China but I also know Gary had testing done on the Ti before buying the material in China and then again in the USA to verify a second time that it's 99% pure GR2.

farscaper

there is always a hive ceramic domeless too... ive been itching to try a ceramic nail, but domeless.com suggests against heating with a torch....

anyone try a ceramic nail?

I just ordered a health stone prototype with torch for 40$ so ill have to wait a min to try a ceramic nail.

farscaper,

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
Quote honestly it doesn't really matter where it's sourced from as long as the manufacturer does proper QC/testing of their materials. For example I know W9 gets their GR2 Ti from China but I also know Gary had testing done on the Ti before buying the material in China and then again in the USA to verify a second time that it's 99% pure GR2.

Word, but I read most China Ti is from Russian aerospace surplus, and def. not Gr. 2. If they use documented US gr.2, it should be the good stuff. Or, as you say, if it's tested and documented, source should not matter.

there is always a hive ceramic domeless too... ive been itching to try a ceramic nail, but domeless.com suggests against heating with a torch....

anyone try a ceramic nail?

I just ordered a health stone prototype with torch for 40$ so ill have to wait a min to try a ceramic nail.

Got a domeless ceramic on the way!

Caligula

Maximus
I'd like to try ceramic at some point.

Also I'm no metallurgist but the different grades of Ti come about by mixing different metals into the alloy. I don't see why you can't make one grade into another with the proper manufacturing techniques.

It's fairly easy to purify or mix metals in this way. Just look at gold for an example.

Of course as I said I'm no expert.

Caligula,
Reactions: pigfoot

farscaper

I think that anything that is pure is labeled as such... anything that is even grade mixed will be refered to as an alloy... of course thats assuming they label it at all...

@pigfoot I await your review! did you grab a hive domeless or one of the 2piece ceramics from domeless.com?

farscaper,

Bouldorado

I bought a Hive ceramic a few days ago. It's definitely the best tasting nail I own (compared to domed quartz and Ti). I want to try it back to back with my friends HE domeless to see if there's any noticeable difference.

Pros of the ceramic:
taste
easily measured with an IR gun
self-cleaning (has to be really hot though)

Cons:
No visual temperature indicator
Can't just hold the torch in one place, like you would with Ti or quartz.
Questionable durability (I'll be pissed if the Hive doesn't last at least 5 months)

Caligula

Maximus
Anyone know if they make ceramic nails that will fit into a domed piece (e.g. not a domeless nail)? I really hate keeping my awesome custom dome in its case. I only use it to fully the rig with water, sadly.

Caligula,
Reactions: farscaper

farscaper

Anyone know if they make ceramic nails that will fit into a domed piece (e.g. not a domeless nail)? I really hate keeping my awesome custom dome in its case. I only use it to fully the rig with water, sadly.
great question.... hive has them on the board ... but not anything past R&D

http://www.hiveceramics.com/coming-soon-hive-element-14mm/

domeless...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/187887...supplies_low&gclid=CJvA19_x0b4CFTQQ7AodjXkAFw
domeless... but fuck thars a cheap tag... I might just.... lol watch it be plastic.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171317235048?lpid=82

farscaper,

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
I think that anything that is pure is labeled as such... anything that is even grade mixed will be refered to as an alloy... of course thats assuming they label it at all...

@pigfoot I await your review! did you grab a hive domeless or one of the 2piece ceramics from domeless.com?

I got one from titaniumedgeshop on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EE-14mm-18m...516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e34da2c4

I'm happy to post my thoughts, but I dunno how useful a review I can give, based on my limited experience.

I bought a Hive ceramic a few days ago. It's definitely the best tasting nail I own (compared to domed quartz and Ti). I want to try it back to back with my friends HE domeless to see if there's any noticeable difference.

Pros of the ceramic:
taste
easily measured with an IR gun
self-cleaning (has to be really hot though)

Cons:
No visual temperature indicator
Can't just hold the torch in one place, like you would with Ti or quartz.
Questionable durability (I'll be pissed if the Hive doesn't last at least 5 months)

Never seen one. Other than glass I have only seen Ti nails for domed setups.

great question.... hive has them on the board ... but not anything past R&D

http://www.hiveceramics.com/coming-soon-hive-element-14mm/

domeless...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/187887...supplies_low&gclid=CJvA19_x0b4CFTQQ7AodjXkAFw
domeless... but fuck thars a cheap tag... I might just.... lol watch it be plastic.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171317235048?lpid=82

One of our members has tried his stuff and recommended it.

pigfoot,

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
So do most of you have a separate rig for concentrates? Is the reclaim in an oil rig going to mess up the taste if you vape bud through it?

pigfoot,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I am using one piece for both oil and flower. As stated above, keep it clean and I have also had no taste issues.

I have two bubblers, but decide to use just my SB piece since it is so easy to fully clean (2 minutes tops), vs my other bubbler which is not.

farscaper

I snagged a ebay ceramic female 18/14 nail.... its domeless but I wanna try one out... that and a new health stone should keep me busy testing!

I do have some oil rigs that will never see flowers.... but that would not be a practicle use for that glass. some pieces were just meant for oil. however if it works for you for both... go with it. I just see glass more like collectible/trade-able objects with function.... not only intended for function, but enjoyment as well...

back to the show!

Pharoh

Hello All... I'm fairly new to dabbing. In fact I got sold a fake T--Power..and began reading about the risks associated with Titanium. So to play it safe I decided to use quartz. Can somebody tell me the difference between nice quartz ($100. and up) vs a $19.95 Quartz nail. i paid $100 today for a quartz dome less that fits over my male end HiSi 8" Hex Toker with Halo Diffuser...I prefer to pay for quality and only assume I'm getting better quality than a cheap quartz nail....I've read all over this forum and others and can't seem to get any clear answers. I was told that the $100 piece was from "Jelly Fish"??..I couldn't find anything on the web about them.. Any replies will be greatly appreciated..thanks...and also pray for my sick white boxer..He is on his last days...he's laying next to my desk....I feel depressed and find it difficult to get high....

Pharoh,
Reactions: DieHard

farscaper

Hello All... I'm fairly new to dabbing. In fact I got sold a fake T--Power..and began reading about the risks associated with Titanium. So to play it safe I decided to use quartz. Can somebody tell me the difference between nice quartz ($100. and up) vs a $19.95 Quartz nail. i paid $100 today for a quartz dome less that fits over my male end HiSi 8" Hex Toker with Halo Diffuser...I prefer to pay for quality and only assume I'm getting better quality than a cheap quartz nail....I've read all over this forum and others and can't seem to get any clear answers. I was told that the $100 piece was from "Jelly Fish"??..I couldn't find anything on the web about them.. Any replies will be greatly appreciated..thanks...and also pray for my sick white boxer..He is on his last days...he's laying next to my desk....I feel depressed and find it difficult to get high....

the price you pay is determined by who is selling it and who made it.

if the quartz was worked by a lesser known artist like the castle quartz you pay sub 100 if its joe halen you pay 100+

but price does not indicate quality, only demand. word of mouth indicates quality.

I feel quartz is a safer bet than ti when buying cheap cause at worst... it may be boro... but you will find that most everything marketed as quartz, is.

it just may not be as perfect as a joe halen honey hole.

Top Bottom