CannaButter

Tuck

My understanding is that squeezing is not a good idea because you will squeeze out some of chlorophyll you were trying to leave behind. You ended up with a lot of green coloration, and likely a grassy taste as well.
If you don't squeeze, you'll lose a lot of your oil and the THC goodness that's in it. The heat required to melt the butter is probably going to get more Chlorophyll than the Squeezing. If you are trying to prevent chlorophyll in your extraction look into Quick Wash Ethanol where you freeze the ethanol and your material.

sickmanfraud

@Stu If you are making cannabutter and you are using a method with water added you NEVER want to use lecithin. Lecithin is an emulsifier. If you use it you will be bringing some of the water with you when you attempt to cool and separate it.

You can add lecithin when you melt the butter to start cooking/baking.

I can tell you that in a thread elsewhere I followed the testing of decarb methods and the conclusion (with laboratory testing) showed that a decarb of 240F for 40 minutes was the best. It activated more cannabinoids with less degradation.

@FlyingLow if coconut oil does not appeal to you you could use MCT oil as an alternative with no taste.

tokenknifeguy

About 10 or more years ago there was a post on grasscity forums where a dude was touting a 5 minute cannabutter. No decarb needed. You just get your oil hot in a sauté pan and add your weed to it. Stir and cook for about 5 mins. The guy was using butter and some reggie (LOL). He would also eat the weed with the oil. I did it one time and it got me high as fuck. I was high the rest of the day until I went to sleep and it was the best weed high ever for me. I only cooked it for about 5 mins, same as that dude in some butter.

Ever since that experience, I've tried to recreate it over the years (maybe 4 or 5 times since that time, before this week) with no similar success. Well for some reason I did it again this past week, but I think I got everything right, and it worked out amazing. I used .75g of some ok weed, definitely not as good as legal weed, and at one point around 5 hrs in, I thought I was about to green out. So that .75g was way too much, and for reference I'm a daily user for 10+ years, with a pretty good tolerance. A few days later I did it again but with .5g and it was just about right. No decarbing either.

I used fat that I cut off a steak that I rendered down, as it has a higher smoking point than butter. I could not check the temp of the oil, but it was almost to the smoking point. I crumbled the weed straight into the oil and as soon as the weed hit the oil, it starting frying immediately. It looked like how it does when you put some flour dust in the oil to check to see if it is up to temp before frying, immediately bubbling action. It gave out a lot of smoke and the house smelt of the greatest smell. Definitely no burned smell. I kept stirring and cooked the weed until it was a brown similar to a medium brown of AVB. Probably cooked between 2-5 mins top. I then proceeded to pour the oil and weed over some ice cream that I had in the blender along with some peanut butter cups and then made a milk shake with it. Probably not the best meal to start the day off with, but the results were there.

From now on, this will be the way to go for me. No more hours and hours of making oil with a ton of clean up. If you got a some spare weed, I would try this out. I think the biggest tips are using a oil with a smoke point over 400 F (so not butter) and cooking the weed in the oil maintained around 400-420F, for 2-5 mins. Even pulling the pan off the heat, while stirring if it gets too hot. Also not sure if straining the weed would be as effective, so I eat it for this method.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
I *LOVE* watching’ smart folks bounce off each other!

Vitolo, thanks for starting this thread, friend - your idea of a dry-fry decarb has me absolutely captivated!

Rahmas, thanks for sharing your journey w/ that oz…well worth reading

I show up now, having just (mostly) completed my 1st cannabutter experience (*got to* stop smoking, y’all), so I’ll throw it up for comparison’s sake

I decarbed 14g of popcorn in a bowl wrapped in tinfoil @~200f for 2 hrs (don’t know this crappy old oven yet); pulled them out, cooled them off, decided they weren’t done (?) & spread it out on parchment in a flat pan for another hour. Ground it all up & added to 3C water & 2 sticks butter.

After a few hours at a good simmer, I poured it all off into a bowl to chill & this morning poured off all the water & yuck below the butter cake, broke up the cake into a clean bowl & set in fridge.

My first taste was .25t & after a couple of hours, I could feel it if I went looking for it. An hour later w/ little change, I took another .12t, and it has shown up right clearly. Not stoned, but definitely cannabinated.

From here the kitchen witch in me takes over: I won’t be straining it - I don’t dislike the taste at all, and a little lecithin will melt the vegetable bits (I will sieve it to get rid of anything knobbly) into invisibility. So, from here, I’ll be melting it all to make sure I’ve cooked out as much water as possible, stir in 1-2t sunflower lecithin, and let it all sit in the pot for a bit. Until then I won’t have any idea of my volume, but if I retain 180ml (from 250ml butter - Xml of water), that’s 72 half-teaspoon doses.

I’m 5.5 hours in on today’s test, & I’ve been satisfactorily stoned most of the day. I may just see where this goes, or try another 1/8t in a couple of hours. I will at the very least start tomorrow w/ 1/2t. At the moment, I’m expecting big things from the ramp-up. .5t might be max for me right now.

Edibles are my very own “unknown country”. I’ve reacted to almost nothing I’ve been fed that was cannabis-based, ever. Gummies, chocolates, hard candies, The ONE exception, I stumbled on some friends doing a stoned job of making brownies - one of the most hysterically funny things I’ve ever seen. It was breathtaking. I may not have laughed that hard since. I got a brownie, and I got off on IT.

So kinda excited to be doing this & having such interesting results.
Thanks for your patience

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
I *LOVE* watching’ smart folks bounce off each other!

Vitolo, thanks for starting this thread, friend - your idea of a dry-fry decarb has me absolutely captivated!

Rahmas, thanks for sharing your journey w/ that oz…well worth reading

I show up now, having just (mostly) completed my 1st cannabutter experience (*got to* stop smoking, y’all), so I’ll throw it up for comparison’s sake

I decarbed 14g of popcorn in a bowl wrapped in tinfoil @~200f for 2 hrs (don’t know this crappy old oven yet); pulled them out, cooled them off, decided they weren’t done (?) & spread it out on parchment in a flat pan for another hour. Ground it all up & added to 3C water & 2 sticks butter.

After a few hours at a good simmer, I poured it all off into a bowl to chill & this morning poured off all the water & yuck below the butter cake, broke up the cake into a clean bowl & set in fridge.

My first taste was .25t & after a couple of hours, I could feel it if I went looking for it. An hour later w/ little change, I took another .12t, and it has shown up right clearly. Not stoned, but definitely cannabinated.

From here the kitchen witch in me takes over: I won’t be straining it - I don’t dislike the taste at all, and a little lecithin will melt the vegetable bits (I will sieve it to get rid of anything knobbly) into invisibility. So, from here, I’ll be melting it all to make sure I’ve cooked out as much water as possible, stir in 1-2t sunflower lecithin, and let it all sit in the pot for a bit. Until then I won’t have any idea of my volume, but if I retain 180ml (from 250ml butter - Xml of water), that’s 72 half-teaspoon doses.

I’m 5.5 hours in on today’s test, & I’ve been satisfactorily stoned most of the day. I may just see where this goes, or try another 1/8t in a couple of hours. I will at the very least start tomorrow w/ 1/2t. At the moment, I’m expecting big things from the ramp-up. .5t might be max for me right now.

Edibles are my very own “unknown country”. I’ve reacted to almost nothing I’ve been fed that was cannabis-based, ever. Gummies, chocolates, hard candies, The ONE exception, I stumbled on some friends doing a stoned job of making brownies - one of the most hysterically funny things I’ve ever seen. It was breathtaking. I may not have laughed that hard since. I got a brownie, and I got off on IT.

So kinda excited to be doing this & having such interesting results.
Thanks for your patience
Looking like I’m going to come in for a smooth landing, so no late-day bump…see y’all tomorrow!

Top Bottom