Cannabis Tinctures, and your Liver.

PeteyS

I was wondering what the consensus was on thc, and cbd ingestible tinctures.
There isn't alot of actual evidence regarding if they may or may not be harmful to your liver in large doses, or in smaller doses over the course of time.
There was one study done on rats, which did show liver toxicity, and even death. This was with large doses, and done on rats.

Has anyone on here taken tinctures for a long period of time, and have you felt any impact negatively on your health, specifically your liver function.

I just read the sad news on Elias Theodorou(RIP), and from what i understand he had liver cancer,(correct me if im wrong.) I don't want to make assumptions, but im curious as to when his ordeal with cancer begun, and if tinctures were part of his healing process, or possibly if they had done harm to his liver.

Currently I use tinctures 1-2 times a day, mainly in cbd form. My future plans were to replace vaping with tinctures, in the pursuit of a healthier lifestyle, but now im not so sure anymore,

Thanks, all.
Pete.

florduh

There isn't alot of actual evidence regarding if they may or may not be harmful to your liver in large doses, or in smaller doses over the course of time.
There was one study done on rats, which did show liver toxicity, and even death. This was with large doses, and done on rats.

Has anyone on here taken tinctures for a long period of time, and have you felt any impact negatively on your health, specifically your liver function.

I just read the sad news on Elias Theodorou(RIP), and from what i understand he had liver cancer,(correct me if im wrong.) I don't want to make assumptions, but im curious as to when his ordeal with cancer begun, and if tinctures were part of his healing process, or possibly if they had done harm to his liver.

Currently I use tinctures 1-2 times a day, mainly in cbd form. My future plans were to replace vaping with tinctures, in the pursuit of a healthier lifestyle, but now im not so sure anymore,

Thanks, all.
Pete.

Keep in mind, he was an elite athlete. Those folks tend to take a whole lot of novel supplements in an effort to stay ahead of USADA testers. All of that shit is tough on the liver.

Edibles tend to temporarily raise liver enzymes more than inhalation. That's not a problem itself. But yeah if you are also getting blackout drunk every night and taking Tylenol in the morning, that could lead to liver problems. But it's not necessarily the CBD that's causing the problem. It's the total load on the liver.

DrJynx86

I don't know if there is any difference between alcohol and oils in terms of efficiency of delivery, but as a non-drinker I would opt for oils instead of tinctures if I had to choose, but the alcohol content in a drop or two is so small that it will probably be beneficial to cardiovascular system and not be too taxing on the liver at all.

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.

Did you read the article you linked? It was a flawed study for a bunch of reasons and has no validity.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
You might find some info here:

Alcohol tinctures done properly, and administered “sublingual”, can bypass the liver, though not pleasant.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I don't know if there is any difference between alcohol and oils in terms of efficiency of delivery, but as a non-drinker I would opt for oils instead of tinctures if I had to choose, but the alcohol content in a drop or two is so small that it will probably be beneficial to cardiovascular system and not be too taxing on the liver at all.

Well now they make tinctures out of MCT oil I don't even really see the ones with alcohol available anymore?

There was another thread where someone had high readings of something in their liver from too many edibles, so it really depends on individual body chemistry too

DrJynx86

A tincture by definition is alcohol based.

Oil ones will also work sublingually.

They might have fatty liver which is something to care about, but just for the edibles? they probably are overweight and/or don't care much about all the other food they eat.

DrJynx86,
Reactions: shredder

PeteyS

Hey sorry guys. I should clarify. Im talking about the tinctures that are made with a type of oil(Mct, coconut, olive).
I think alcohol is used to extract the thc/cbd in most methods however.
Cheers.
Pete.

DrJynx86

Language also evolves over time as people change (meaning, sound, slang) since they created it and much of it is quite arbitrary. Easy to get stuck on definitions though...
As far as I know, the definition of tincture hasn't changed, regarding the right or wrong usage during the past centuries.

Sorry if it comes as me wanting to fight about the subject, it's only that I would be really pissed the other way around, somebody offers an oil and it has alcohol in XD

DrJynx86,
Reactions: shredder

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
As far as I know, the definition of tincture hasn't changed, regarding the right or wrong usage during the past centuries.

Sorry if it comes as me wanting to fight about the subject, it's only that I would be really pissed the other way around, somebody offers an oil and it has alcohol in XD

Haha yeah I'm just saying, clearly now, for however long it's been so far, they are making them out of oil and still calling them tinctures, so it has been changed ;)

RustyOldNail

A tincture by definition is alcohol based.

Oil ones will also work sublingually.

They might have fatty liver which is something to care about, but just for the edibles? they probably are overweight and/or don't care much about all the other food they eat.

From my limited research, that was true at one time and in the pure sense still true. TINCTURE has now been co-opted to mean just about anything the seller wants, though most are offered in 30ml bottles with droppers.

But NO, MCT OIL does NOT bypass the liver, nor lecithin or most of any of the other ingredients in “tinctures”. You can of course take any liquid beneath you tongue, but if we are talking about LIVER, I’d suggest researching on making your own, and some of these things will be revealed, assuming you find legitimate sources. When I saw the online prices for CBD “tinctures”, I realized I could make these products at home, at a fraction of those ridiculous prices.

sickmanfraud

Very long thread, but you can skip ahead years…..

I have been a user of Ethanol tinctures for almost 10 years. I prefer to cover the taste by putting the tincture in coffee. Then the alcohol flashes off leaving the cannabis oil behind to be consumed.

I have been involved with the thread you referenced for close to 10 years. I consider myself a very experienced tincture maker and I will be happy to answer any questions.

At this point in my life, I use strong cannabis oil capsules for most of my medical needs. Tinctures and vaping for breakthrough pain or fast uptake.

For anyone who does not mind the alcohol, a hint is to take about 1/2 shot of water, add tincture then swish around cheeks and gums for quick uptake without the burn.

chary-ka

I don't use tinctures all that much, prefer vaping. But as someone with liver disease, marijuana has never caused my ALT and AST to raise. The one big item that did cause harm was spitless tobacco, they made my numbers triple. Just everything in moderation and it is just a toss of the dice. I know heavy alcoholics in perfect health and I've known someone who never drank but got nonalcoholic cirrhosis of the liver.

RustyOldNail

I've had liver damage in the past from OTC painkillers. While I don't think cannabis edibles will damage the liver, I still choose inhalation 99% of the time. The whole reason I got into cannabis was to get pain relief while giving my liver a bit of a break.

I’ve been looking to give my lungs a break, so that’s why I turned to trying edibles, but I need a lot for pain relief, and dispensary edibles are expensive and underpowered for me. I also began to seek how to get FASTER pain relief. Thus alcohol tinctures were the apparent solution, but I’m still trying to deal with the burn…. At least I can make my own CBD/THC meds at home now. I occasionally buy 50mg a piece gummies, but they are like candy to me.

florduh

I’ve been looking to give my lungs a break, so that’s why I turned to trying edibles, but I need a lot for pain relief, and dispensary edibles are expensive and underpowered for me. I also began to seek how to get FASTER pain relief. Thus alcohol tinctures were the apparent solution, but I’m still trying to deal with the burn…. At least I can make my own CBD/THC meds at home now. I occasionally buy 50mg a piece gummies, but they are like candy to me.

I remember @shredder talking about making strain specific capsules just from ground decarbed flower. If I were ever to go edible only for a while, that's what I'd try. Should be a cheap way to medicate compared to dispo edibles.

shredder

Lets call mct oil "tinctures" infusions to make it clear.

Not a tincture fan myself, I much prefer an infusion of decarbed concentrates in mct oil. I love a few drops in scrambled eggs. Egg yolks have lecithin in them. No weed taste at all in the eggs. And infused oils make almost anything an edible. They're very versatile. In coffee for a faster lift off.

While weed capsules are my favorite edible, like y'all with vapes I use a variety. The best feature of weed capsules are they are the most like vaping and for varietal differences. They also can be customized with terpenes, essential oils, or whatever. I include melatonin and lavender oil in sleep capsules.

Another morning or snack favorite is infused honey butter on toast. Chocolates for whenever . Powdered cannabis to impress friends, lol. And let's not forget infused sugar, something ive grown fond of lately.

PeteyS

I used last Sunday to experiment a little bit more with my tincture/Infusion.
I took 20mg of Luminarium(A sativa strain that i enjoy,) and felt the full effects about three hours later(A long time!)
The effects were much different then vaping the same strain of flower, hard to explain, need more trials.
About 5 hours in, i decided to have a few bowls, and that is when i really felt the combined effects of the infusion/flower. At this point it was strong enough that i only vaped one bowl instead of my usual 2 or 3. Felt medicated for the rest of the night.
All in all a good experience, the next time, i plan to take a larger dose to try and get the effects to work faster, and possibly without the need to vape a bowl with it. Ill also hold the oil under my tongue for 3 minutes instead of the 1 minute.
Cheers.
Pete.

Top Bottom