• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Cannabis News

florduh

The last Governor here was a republican who slow walked the process. We had voted for it in 2018 but he still delayed it and delayed it while in charge, probably because he couldn't get a big enough piece for himself. Pritzker jumped on it right away and helped get legislation going almost immediately. It became legal on Jan 1 2020.
While I would certainly like better and faster progress, and especially much lower prices (Michigan next door is WAY cheaper), I can't complain too much. At least I now live in a legal state and I can stop always looking over my shoulder after hiding from the man for 50 years...

I mean, yeah it's great to have less to worry about from cops. But it absolutely sucks that you're priced out of dispensaries.

Even when Cali transitioned from med to rec with high taxes, I still found the dispos affordable. And it got a little better every month. At least in LA, there was an explosion of new dispensaries and delivery services. So while the taxes were high, retail prices dropped significantly. In Illinois, before tax prices are still out of control.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Here is the best dispensary price I have ever seen here. This turns out to be about $352 after taxes. And it is Popcorn. If I had a med card the taxes would be way cheaper.
Screenshot-2022-08-03-153441.jpg

Okla68

Here is the best dispensary price I have ever seen here. This turns out to be about $352 after taxes. And it is Popcorn. If I had a med card the taxes would

Growing weed might be too easy for big agribusiness to profit off of it long term.

Maybe the solution is to encourage small operations. I believe testing costs are a barrier for smaller farmers. Why not have the government run the testing facilities as a non profit public service? Reduce taxes on cannabis to discourage the black market and use the entirety of that tax revenue to run the labs.

The "nobody wants to work anymore" crowd likes to point out that America was founded on "hard work". Sure. But for yourself. Not for some godless multinational corpo. The vision of the Founders was to have smallholder farmers making their own destiny from sea to shining sea. Why not roll that 18th/19th century ideal out again...now featuring cannabis.

photo_hemp_richards_hemp_farm_in_seney_michigan_f7pw.jpg
SPOT ON FLORDUH !

florduh

Here is the best dispensary price I have ever seen here. This turns out to be about $352 after taxes. And it is Popcorn. If I had a med card the taxes would be way cheaper.
Screenshot-2022-08-03-153441.jpg

Yeah dude you're getting gouged. Even during the early part of the transition to recreational in Cali, a cheap popcorn OZ would be $120-$150 if I'm recalling correctly.

JBone65

SPOT ON FLORDUH !
I believe most states allow home grown. That's probably the ultimate "small grower" solution, especially for folks able to grow it in greenhouses or outdoors with inexpensive methods to protect it from severe weather. It should be easy for a significant percentage of Americans to avoid monopolies and over-taxation.

JBone65,
Reactions: Okla68

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Not in Illinois unless you have a med card, and then only 5 plants. If you grow you can't be taxed for it, and the tax was the main reason for legalization here, at least in the minds of the legislature. I would be unlikely to grow anyway in an apartment, but it isn't even an option, legally.

Okla68

Not in Illinois unless you have a med card, and then only 5 plants. If you grow you can't be taxed for it, and the tax was the main reason for legalization here, at least in the minds of the legislature. I would be unlikely to grow anyway in an apartment, but it isn't even an option, legally.
Apts would be tough...but..."ONLY 5 PLANT"...LMAO....Unless you plan on Selling...5 plants will produce More than you can use Yourself usually. I had one grow where 2 plants indoors produced 22 oz of trimmed bud ! TBH, it gets Boring using the Same product all the time.
The law here in Okla allows for 6 plants and 6 seedlings....Been using for 50+ years....6/6 will usually make MORE than One person can consume. Im Not gripping, but, IMO, the MMJ laws here in Okla are quite liberal.

JBone65

5 plants sounds like a great option although not practical in an apartment. Not everyone needs to grow it to undermine the over taxation and restricted availability. Also, I suspect a lot of home growers will accidentally exceed the legal limit since penalties are unlikely and no longer severe. Not yet in a position to grow (again), but it's gonna happen sooner or later. Trying to think of an easy way to grow it outdoors with backup protection from excessive heat and storms. Hopefully more and more people will grow over time and squeeze the corporations out.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Gunky

Yeah, those plant limits are completely arbitrary and don't make sense. Give it plenty of soil and light, let it veg for a while and 1 plant will grow very large indeed. Recently I've been filling a whole 4x4 tent with a single plant. So the limits don't really control quantity. What the limits effectively do is prevent the average joe from doing much in the way of breeding, and thus entrench Big Canna.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I’d like for this to happen as well, but I don’t think it will, in the same way that growing tomatoes in the back yard isn’t putting supermarkets out of business.
Awhile back we discussed investing in cannabis companies and I mentioned that I don't invest (not to be confused with trading) in them because eventually we'll be able to grow our own legally. The counter argument was that I may invest in a company like Del Monte while I can already grow my own vegetables. The difference is I like vegetables but I LOVE cannabis. :lol:

shredder

Awhile back we discussed investing in cannabis companies and I mentioned that I don't invest (not to be confused with trading) in them because eventually we'll be able to grow our own legally

In Michigan it's legal medically and recreationaly. And home growing is gradually going down, not up. The dropping prices probably have something more do with it. That and growing outdoors in Michigan is iffy at best.

And new dispensaries are springing up everywhere while other sell out or are closing. I'm seeing grow shops closing as well.

Principal Guy

Apts would be tough...but..."ONLY 5 PLANT"...LMAO....Unless you plan on Selling...5 plants will produce More than you can use Yourself usually. I had one grow where 2 plants indoors produced 22 oz of trimmed bud ! TBH, it gets Boring using the Same product all the time.
The law here in Okla allows for 6 plants and 6 seedlings....Been using for 50+ years....6/6 will usually make MORE than One person can consume. Im Not gripping, but, IMO, the MMJ laws here in Okla are quite liberal.
Oklahoma, the Wild West of weed! We should all be so lucky.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

I get the pharma companies but Krispy Kreme seems like it could only benefit from legalization.

JBone65

I’d like for this to happen as well, but I don’t think it will, in the same way that growing tomatoes in the back yard isn’t putting supermarkets out of business.
More people would grow tomatoes if they cost $160-300/oz. We grow them just for fun and because they're better than store bought. No supermarket would shut down if more people grew tomatoes.

i agree that home growing frequency will probably decrease in the states with cheap weed, but that leaves a lot more states with exorbitant prices.

Not hearing anything about large corporations in Ok. The cost to grow is low so it's not likely that a corporation from an expensive area is gonna move in here and put people out of business, more likely to happen the other way around IMO.

The business model includes dispensaries and many are owned by vertically integrated growers. A giant corporation might need to be able to sell cheap packs of smokes in regular stores to affect the mass market, similar to tobacco.

I predict that a lot of folks/companies that invested big early on will struggle as competition and availability gradually improve, as the free wheeling states flood the market, as Sungrown techniques evolve, etc..

The biggest corporate winner is probably Miracle Grow. I think they're making around $5B/yr.

Of course, lots of corporations are probably using purchased political influence in an effort to develop captive markets all over the country. Screw the greedy corporations and the bought politicians.:rockon:

Last edited:

florduh

I get the pharma companies but Krispy Kreme seems like it could only benefit from legalization.

The NFL being on that list is real sicko shit. They make their money breaking the bodies and brains of (mostly black) men. Trying to prevent them from getting a little relief either now or later, when the true effects of CTE set in is disgusting.

FZU236wUUAAl-wz

Just at a quick glance, I see the company responsible for the deaths of 600,000+ Americans from the opioid crisis. And a few money launderers for Mexican Drug cartels and terrorists.

We just let these unelected cunts decide what laws are passed huh? America is more corrupt than pretty much every third world country put together. Saying "Lobbying" instead of "Bribery" changes nothing.

Okla68

The NFL being on that list is real sicko shit. They make their money breaking the bodies and brains of (mostly black) men. Trying to prevent them from getting a little relief either now or later, when the true effects of CTE set in is disgusting.

FZU236wUUAAl-wz

Just at a quick glance, I see the company responsible for the deaths of 600,000+ Americans from the opioid crisis. And a few money launderers for Mexican Drug cartels and terrorists.

We just let these unelected cunts decide what laws are passed huh? America is more corrupt than pretty much every third world country put together. Saying "Lobbying" instead of "Bribery" changes nothing.
PURDUE....OPIATE MARKET FLOOD and on the otherhand INDIVIOR....the makers of the medication to fight OPIATE USE DISORDER WITHDRAWL symptoms(had to pay out Billions in Fines and Restitution for Overcharging and lying to the FDA/AMA about the supposed Increased Child Safety of their medicine Strips).
Sure wouldn't want anything that would interfere with their money flow !!!
WOW, just WOW is all I can say....

florduh

PURDUE....OPIATE MARKET FLOOD and on the otherhand INDIVIOR....the makers of the medication to fight OPIATE USE DISORDER WITHDRAWL symptoms(had to pay out Billions in Fines and Restitution for Overcharging and lying to the FDA/AMA about the supposed Increased Child Safety of their medicine Strips).
Sure wouldn't want anything that would interfere with their money flow !!!
WOW, just WOW is all I can say....

Yeah. I can think of one way to prevent Purdue and the Sacklers from spending millions to continue the prohibition on cannabis. YOU TAKE ALL THEIR FUCKING MONEY! And [REDACTED] the highest ranking members of the Sackler Family.

These people killed more Americans than the Nazis in WWII and we let them continue being billionaires breathing free air. Truly incredible.

JBone65

I stopped and watched this dude every time I got a chance. This is a later 3 minute clip about who really runs America (giant corporations and billionaires). I really like the ending.

At least we'll have a strong authoritarian (fascist) government to deal with the impending ecological & economic disasters.☹️

I'm just glad the pandemic has slowed for now, and the war isn't nuclear or here, yet.😖

Everyone have a good evening..... :myday:

Last edited:

florduh

I stopped and watched this dude every time I got a chance. This is a later 3 minute clip about who really runs America (corporations and billionaires). I really like the ending.

At least we'll have a strong authoritarian (fascist) government to deal with the impending ecological & economic disasters.☹️

I'm just glad the pandemic has slowed for now, and the war isn't nuclear or here, yet.😖

Everyone have a good evening..... :myday:

Yeah, Carlin offers the most succinct and accurate summary you could ever ask for about the modern US of A. Anything else you’d wanna add is probably either excuses or bullshit.

Why are there multiple corporations on that list of companies with entire Boards that should be serving prison sentences paying off politicians to continue cannabis prohibition? Why is that allowed? Because it’s their country. We just live here.

Our best bet is that one day soon there will be Weed Oligarchs. But as we’ve seen, the decisions corporate cannabis has already made on our behalf aren’t universally good. To put it mildly.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

This is a later 3 minute clip about who really runs America (corporations and billionaires). I really like the ending.

Over 20 years ago when I decided to start my own company the first bit of advice I got was "You have to incorporate to protect your personal assets". "They (whoever they are) can sue the corporation but they can't sue you for something the corporation does".

The above explains why the opioids cases went the way they did. AND why some gun manufacturers do as well.

Last edited:

Okla68

Not that it even comes Close to restoring the damage done by these Fowl Excuses for Humans, they were forced to reimburse millions of $ in restitution for Overcharging(by not allowing generics to substituted). A trip to the mailbox resulted in $2,856.12 reimbursment check from these crooks.
Its called rape that's going both directions, thousands getting you addicted, then thousands to help you deal with the resulting effects.
MAY THEIR SOULS BURN IN HELL !!!

Top Bottom