Cannabis News

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

florduh

Nobody will like this article.

It's potentially worth discussing. I can only relate to my own experiences.

I'm indifferent about the study. Actually that's not true. I think the study is dumb. It's a whole "correlation vs causation" situation. Like I pointed out in another thread about depression, we've created a deranging, alienating, and depression inducing society. Maybe people opting for higher THC intake are treating pre-existing depression. Just as likely as the THC itself causing it.

What I am pissed about is CNN's editorial decision to only write articles about studies like this, and not the study that determined weed makes you a better, more empathetic person. Maybe more people getting addicted to a drug that makes you nicer isn't the worst thing in the world.

And if we're talking about addictive "drugs", why isn't cable news itself in the crosshairs? The content on these news channels is basically designed in a lab to be addictive. To make you scared and angry. So you keep watching. Stick around for the commercials! A stunning percentage of which are....pharma ads. I wonder if that has anything to do with CNN's editorial bent on cannabis?

Cable news is a drug. Just one that makes users anxious, scared, angry, and less empathetic. In my non-professional opinion, it literally causes brain damage. Much more dangerous than a drug that makes you more chill, nice, and empathetic.

As far as the potency of weed... what is the difference between consuming 3 bowls of mids to get where you want to be, vs 1 bowl of fire? I understand novice users not liking higher potency cannabis. But for regular users, the increase in potency is a net benefit.

JBone65

Lots of factors to consider.

Intense competition online and low taxes in Ok has caused the "legal" price to decrease and the quality to increase, as it should. I can grow it for slightly less cost, but probably not better quality. I doubt there is an illegal market here today.

I'm contrast, areas with monopolies, corrupt labs/regulators and/or excessive taxes are more likely to have much more expensive "legal" weed, doubly overpriced due to fake certification.

Dispensaries or individuals can buy inexpensive legal weed in one place and take it somewhere else, making it illegal. Weed is weed IMO. The situation should improve as more states approve recreational weed.

JBone65

Marijuana Business Daily: Michigan's wholesale marijuana flower prices plummet.

According to the article, prices are plummeting in Michigan, kinda like Oklahoma. Not many indoor growers can produce for less than $50/oz. Hopefully the "common man" will benefit (instead of fat cats like John Boehner). :rockon::goon:

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
More on the deflation front.

“It’s good news for customers whose wallets have been taking a hit, but it may be bad news for cultivators, who industry officials say overestimated the market and are sitting on a glut of unsold product.

When the adult-use market launched in October 2020, the average price per gram for flower was $15.83.

It decreased to an average of $12.75 per gram in 2021, and by June 2022, it had fallen further to $9.26 per gram. The year-to-date average is $10.29 per gram.”

vapviking

Old & In the Way
More on the deflation front.

“It’s good news for customers whose wallets have been taking a hit, but it may be bad news for cultivators, who industry officials say overestimated the market and are sitting on a glut of unsold product.

When the adult-use market launched in October 2020, the average price per gram for flower was $15.83.

It decreased to an average of $12.75 per gram in 2021, and by June 2022, it had fallen further to $9.26 per gram. The year-to-date average is $10.29 per gram.”
This has been the trend in many emerging legal states, the markets (growers) can't adjust in real time, most of them over-estimate their potential market and underestimate competitive influences, and consumers benefit from the oversupply condition.

When federal legalization happens, will the industry need stabilization subsidy like other agriculture? Will canna farmers be paid to NOT grow cannabis? :rolleyes:

JBone65

Wild West of Weed governor "Bull" Stitt just signed into law a 2-year moratorium on issuing new grower/processor/dispensary licenses effective August 1st. I doubt weed prices will increase soon as a result (my average price is <$2/g) but this trend is in the wrong direction IMO. :rant:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
This has been the trend in many emerging legal states, the markets (growers) can't adjust in real time, most of them over-estimate their potential market and underestimate competitive influences, and consumers benefit from the oversupply condition.

When federal legalization happens, will the industry need stabilization subsidy like other agriculture? Will canna farmers be paid to NOT grow cannabis? :rolleyes:
I would love to see overproduction bring down prices here in Illinois, but the state very deliberately kept the number of legal grows very low to prevent this possibility. That is why the prices are still too high here to attract a large segment of the market. Most of the flower buyers I know, myself included, are still buying from the black market.

florduh

Growing weed might be too easy for big agribusiness to profit off of it long term.

Maybe the solution is to encourage small operations. I believe testing costs are a barrier for smaller farmers. Why not have the government run the testing facilities as a non profit public service? Reduce taxes on cannabis to discourage the black market and use the entirety of that tax revenue to run the labs.

The "nobody wants to work anymore" crowd likes to point out that America was founded on "hard work". Sure. But for yourself. Not for some godless multinational corpo. The vision of the Founders was to have smallholder farmers making their own destiny from sea to shining sea. Why not roll that 18th/19th century ideal out again...now featuring cannabis.

photo_hemp_richards_hemp_farm_in_seney_michigan_f7pw.jpg

JBone65

Growing weed might be too easy for big agribusiness to profit off of it long term.

Maybe the solution is to encourage small operations. I believe testing costs are a barrier for smaller farmers. Why not have the government run the testing facilities as a non profit public service? Reduce taxes on cannabis to discourage the black market and use the entirety of that tax revenue to run the labs.

The "nobody wants to work anymore" crowd likes to point out that America was founded on "hard work". Sure. But for yourself. Not for some godless multinational corpo. The vision of the Founders was to have smallholder farmers making their own destiny from sea to shining sea. Why not roll that 18th/19th century ideal out again...now featuring cannabis.

photo_hemp_richards_hemp_farm_in_seney_michigan_f7pw.jpg
Can't prove it but I suspect most regulators are too busy setting up mini-monopolies to worry about what's best or what's ideal.

florduh

Can't prove it but I suspect most regulators are too busy setting up mini-monopolies to worry about what's best or what's ideal.

Oh absolutely. It's a well known phenomenon called regulatory capture. It's part of the reason why the global economy imploded in '08. Regulators in the SEC were all either directly bought off, or indirectly with the promise of a 7 figure job at a hedge fund after their time in government ends. If they played ball.

Another benefit of moving the industry towards small farmers and allowing the price to fall to market levels is...small businesses can't afford to buy off regulators and politicians.

Last edited:

mitchgo61

Part of the issue here in Maine is the med market is so wide open, and so easy to enter (a 40 dollar phone consult), that the rec market supply side way overestimated demand. It’s so cheap to get a card, and product options are so much better (ie you can get delivery from med sellers but not rec merchants, for one example) that it doesn’t make much sense to deal with the rec market. Everyone I know has a card. I literally don’t know any ME residents who patronize the rec market.

Hence, downward pressure on prices, which also spills into the med market. And I ain’t hating it.

Razhumikin

Part of the issue here in Maine is the med market is so wide open, and so easy to enter (a 40 dollar phone consult), that the rec market supply side way overestimated demand. It’s so cheap to get a card, and product options are so much better (ie you can get delivery from med sellers but not rec merchants, for one example) that it doesn’t make much sense to deal with the rec market. Everyone I know has a card. I literally don’t know any ME residents who patronize the rec market.

Hence, downward pressure on prices, which also spills into the med market. And I ain’t hating it.
The maine medical market is absolutely where its at. Probably the best bud Ive ever had is from Maine.

mitchgo61

The maine medical market is absolutely where its at. Probably the best bud Ive ever had is from Maine.
I know, crazy, right? The quality here is amazing. I can’t speak to it relative to other markets as I’ve lived here for 19 years now (and it’s not fair to compare 2022 cannabis to stuff we consumed two decades ago) but it is a really one of few things this state seems to have gotten absolutely right. Watch us fuck it up somehow. :lol:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
My state has been whining about not getting as much $$ out of us as they could, but it is their own damn fault. I would much rather buy my goods at a dispensary, but not at these prices.

florduh

My state has been whining about not getting as much $$ out of us as they could, but it is their own damn fault. I would much rather buy my goods at a dispensary, but not at these prices.

I always wonder...are there not people in the government who see these reports and realize they are handing "criminals" more than half a billion a year due to their poor policies? I mean, I don't care if drug dealers are making tax free money, but presumably the government would.

I also wonder if a lot of this goes back to American puritanical moralism. Ok, you can have weed. But we still think it's bad, so we're gonna punish you with outrageous taxes.

If you make it to the levels of government where you are making these policies, chances are you're one of those type-A corporate types. Those people tend to hate cannabis. It reduces productivity by x%. And that's no good. Ya gotta give your employer 110%, 10-20 hours per day.

Pretty disappointed with Big J.B. here too. When the US inevitably balkanizes, he was my pick for Emperor of the new Great Lakes Imperium.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The last Governor here was a republican who slow walked the process. We had voted for it in 2018 but he still delayed it and delayed it while in charge, probably because he couldn't get a big enough piece for himself. Pritzker jumped on it right away and helped get legislation going almost immediately. It became legal on Jan 1 2020.
While I would certainly like better and faster progress, and especially much lower prices (Michigan next door is WAY cheaper), I can't complain too much. At least I now live in a legal state and I can stop always looking over my shoulder after hiding from the man for 50 years...

Top Bottom