Cannabis News

Madtater

Fox's story = Reefer Madness
They never let up, do they?
Who does cannabis adversely affects the most?

Alcohol companies
Pharmaceutical companies.

Both of those entities have a LOT of money in government and media. Of course they will rally against cannabis because it hurts their bottom line.

I watch fox news religiously because it is the only news that i can stomach, but honestly i am starting to not be able to stomach ANY news lately and am watching less and less. It isn’t news anymore. All it is becoming is opinion pieces and them telling you how you should think and feel. It is no longer what, where, when and how….like news should be.

If you look at the comment section of that article, it is LITTERED with misinformation and opinions that are flat out ridiculous. I get some people are set in their ways, but evolution is inevitable. Things change. Either you change with them or you get left behind.

I am starting to believe BOTH sides of the news are fucking stupid.

florduh

It's the same problem over and over again.

The profit motive is good for some things. And bad for others. "Delivering accurate information" is one of the bad things.

When Walter Cronkite was on the air, networks we're being forced to run News as a public service in exchange for being able to use the public airwaves. Networks did not see News as a profit center. It was a Cost.

Then in the 70's, business scumbags realized they could use the News Division to make a quick buck. And here we are today.

If you're ever caught wondering "why is this or that so shitty today?", look back to the 70's. You'll probably find your answer.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I watch fox news religiously
Even after the Dominion case, they have a dedicated following.
Amazing.
I agree with you, ALL of the cable news outlets show definite bias.
To me, one difference with Fox is they bring in some actual bigots and racists and call it normal.

Never let up what, being no more than the "entertainment" channel they claim to be....? That channel usually doesn't "entertain" me so I don't tune in.... easy peasy.
I don't bother with them either.
I'll confess I like Ari Melber's (MSNBC) coverage of all of Trump's legal battles. That's entertaining!
And his fallback segments.
Then in the 70's, business scumbags realized they could use the News Division to make a quick buck. And here we are today.
I point to the national rollout of cable TV.
It was sold to us as, you pay by the month for cable and there won't have to be any ads!
Cable brought 24hr TV. Before that you could actually watch the national anthem and a flag waving in the breeze and say goodnight to the rest of the country. At 5:30 a.m., good morning with a show called The American Farmer, that was it for a long time. Apologies for dumb nostalgia.
Before cable the were no "news" channels.
24 hour news cycle arrived and a lot of mouths to feed at Turner Broadcasting, Fox, etc. and the industry soon learned they could just riff on the news and kinda make stuff up; they had to, in order to fill all that time! Especially speculative, kinda scary stuff, like about immigrants, people of color, all sorts of stuff. It ALL sells if packaged the right way.

My comment about the Reefer Madness was intended to be generally about regressive people who perennially go off about cannabis, even now in light of so many positive aspects "they" are on the same old 'it'll make you crazy' trip.

Edit:
Well, there goes all that extra time I picked up by setting the clock back....:lol:

Last edited:

Madtater

Even after the Dominion case, they have a dedicated following.
Amazing.

i wouldnt call me a “dedicated follower”. It is literally the only news i can stomach to watch. And even now i am watching it less and less because it isnt news anymore, but heading over to my local abc/cbs/fox stations for news because at least they don’t sit there and do fluff or opinion pieces. It is the news and not much more.

No idea what you’re talking about the “dominion case”. Probably wouldnt affect me one way or the other about how i feel about mainstream media.

Madtater,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
No idea what you’re talking about the “dominion case”.
The biggest defamation case in history, the one where Fox lied to you about the election being stolen and the rigged voting machines?

No, I guess Fox didn't talk much about that one on air, after they settled and agreed to pay Dominion $787 million. Then they fired Tucker, and Rupert stepped down from his CEO chair. That Dominion case.

Madtater

The biggest defamation case in history, the one where Fox lied to you about the election being stolen and the rigged voting machines?

No, I guess Fox didn't talk much about that one on air, after they settled and agreed to pay Dominion $787 million. Then they fired Tucker, and Rupert stepped down from his CEO chair. That Dominion case.
Probably why i dont know anything about it. I think carlson is an idiot. I saw he “quit” but i didnt know anything about why.

Oh well….suppose i dont really care what happened to carlson.

Cant go lying to people.

JBone65

Ohio Legalizes Recreational Cannabis!
Unfortunately level I growers in Ohio must cough up a $200,000 annual license renewal fee. Level II growers have to pay $20,000. In addition to high prices and limited selection, high application fees and other unnecessary fees/regulations restrict free market commerce and force profits into specific pockets.

Edit: Sorry for the negative viewpoint. This particular example of regulatory tyranny will cost weed lovers hundreds per month from now on and no one except weed lovers will care. It will also limit the cannabis industry in Ohio. In comparison, Ok has almost 10,000 licensed business, including 5000+ growers. Correct numbers of industry employment are not available but it must be a big number of you include the supply, service and trucking companies. Opportunities for downstream jobs, wages, payroll taxes and rags-to-riches stories will be missed in Ohio.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Unfortunately level I growers in Ohio must cough up a $200,000 annual license renewal fee. Level II growers have to pay $20,000. In addition to high prices and limited selection, high application fees and other unnecessary fees/regulations restrict free market commerce and force profits into specific pockets.

Edit: Sorry for the negative viewpoint. This particular example of regulatory tyranny will cost weed lovers hundreds per month from now on and no one except weed lovers will care. It will also limit the cannabis industry in Ohio. In comparison, Ok has almost 10,000 licensed business, including 5000+ growers. Correct numbers of industry employment are not available but it must be a big number of you include the supply, service and trucking companies. Opportunities for downstream jobs, wages, payroll taxes and rags-to-riches stories will be missed in Ohio.
As I understand the unregulated free-spirited Oklahoma wild west system, the "Opportunities for downstream jobs, wages, payroll taxes and rags-to-riches stories," are going in the opposite direction now, with vast amounts of over-production plus black market economics. If the state produces 65X the amount needed to supply all the legal med cardholders (rec is not legal, far from it), where is the surplus going, and whom is it really benefitting? 'Farmers' from all over the world have flocked to the state on the promise of big, underground profits.

I'm not for the big fees that Ohio is going to force growers to pay, either, I guess they think it will be money they need to further 'regulate' the industry. *Sigh* I wonder, what is Ohio's stance on home grows, for rec purposes?

vapviking,

JBone65

As I understand the unregulated free-spirited Oklahoma wild west system, the "Opportunities for downstream jobs, wages, payroll taxes and rags-to-riches stories," are going in the opposite direction now, with vast amounts of over-production plus black market economics. If the state produces 65X the amount needed to supply all the legal med cardholders (rec is not legal, far from it), where is the surplus going, and whom is it really benefitting? 'Farmers' from all over the world have flocked to the state on the promise of big, underground profits.

I'm not for the big fees that Ohio is going to force growers to pay, either, I guess they think it will be money they need to further 'regulate' the industry. *Sigh* I wonder, what is Ohio's stance on home grows, for rec purposes?
Ok made mistakes, thank God, because they adhered to the wording of the question submitted for voter signatures and later for voter approval. The advocate-generated bill contained wording for minimal entry barriers and safety regulations.

The Ok market got too big, by design, and is gradually shrinking toward an equilibrium, in theory. That's not an issue IMO since it's been a 100% fair playing field for consumers, dispensaries and growers alike. No individual or company has an unearned advantage. I'm guessing it's added 100,000+ jobs overall plus $150m/yr in tax revenue. There is no hint of a black market inside Ok. The weed selection is truly amazing. Don't believe all the negative propaganda. A lot of folks in the state are still trying to figure out what happened, and how to either shut it down or get a piece of it. The Ok legal market is ~$800M/yr. By some estimates the state produces 34-65x the volume of the legal market. Guess where all that flower, gummies, vape cartridges, ends up?

I suspect Ohioans will pay more and have limited selection in the dispensaries. Don't worry, goofy Ok has everyone covered. Trucks are being loaded as we speak.

Last edited:

Gunky

According to the initiative, 6 plants per household with one adult, up to 12 plants for households with more than one adult. However I expect the legislature to change that bit.
For a lot of people this could be the saving grace. In many cases state legalization has brought chaotic commercial weed markets, absurd taxation and a lot of regulatory hurdles. But if it leaves open the possibility of home grow, even six plants, you can cut loose from all the drama and shitty weed and find the purity and peace of growing.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968

Why Some Seniors Are Choosing Pot Over Pills​

Older people are using cannabis more than ever. Here’s what to know about its potential medicinal benefits and side effects as we age.​

"Seniors are one of the fastest-growing populations of cannabis users in the United States. While some older adults have used pot for decades, studies suggest that others are turning to the drug for the first time to help them sleep better, dampen pain or treat anxiety — especially when prescription drugs, which often come with unwanted side effects, don’t work as intended."

Here's the gift link for non-subscribers: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/16/...e_code=1._Uw.t4uI.SBW4GS66iFeb&smid=url-share

I'm 75! That puts me in an elite company: The Few The Proud The Old The Stoned!:)

Last edited:

JBone65

Sounds like BS to me. Why not just legalize weed and get the fuck out of the way. Does it make any sense to postpone the roll out to make sure "the cannabis industry" is successful in Albany? Who is representing the consumers of Albany?

"Despite the state's best intentions, really kind of a bureaucratic challenge for a lot of these entrepreneurs. We want to cut through that bureaucratic challenge, we want to cut through that red tape; really have a good focus on what's working for the cannabis industry and the region to help these individuals and make sure they are successful."

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Sounds like BS to me. Why not just legalize weed and get the fuck out of the way. Does it make any sense to postpone the roll out to make sure "the cannabis industry" is successful in Albany? Who is representing the consumers of Albany?

"Despite the state's best intentions, really kind of a bureaucratic challenge for a lot of these entrepreneurs. We want to cut through that bureaucratic challenge, we want to cut through that red tape; really have a good focus on what's working for the cannabis industry and the region to help these individuals and make sure they are successful."
Agreed, the NY beaurocracy hasn't been able to stay out of its own way, despite "best intentions" of giving an initial leg up to individuals negatively impacted by the war on drugs.
I think the reason for this article's apparent emphasis on Albany is the news outlet, a local station.

Rec. legalization was almost 2 years ago and my county of 1 million residents has zero rec stores (there are now a couple from neighboring counties that will deliver here. But shit, I'm only about 25 miles from Grand Central Station!). Not that I would go very often, at present time the lack of legal competition allows stores to keep prices high.
Example: A half-gram live rosin cart is (including tax) about $83!!! Most stores have wide variety of pricey flower by the 1/8th, but maybe 2 or 3 items by the oz., often over $200.

The gray market stores that used to hold appeal because they made cannabis easily available, now to me feel less credible in terms of sourcing, quality control, etc. (OK?? or a warehouse in Queens??)

vapviking,
Reactions: macbill

JBone65

Agreed, the NY beaurocracy hasn't been able to stay out of its own way, despite "best intentions" of giving an initial leg up to individuals negatively impacted by the war on drugs.
I think the reason for this article's apparent emphasis on Albany is the news outlet, a local station.

Rec. legalization was almost 2 years ago and my county of 1 million residents has zero rec stores (there are now a couple from neighboring counties that will deliver here. But shit, I'm only about 25 miles from Grand Central Station!). Not that I would go very often, at present time the lack of legal competition allows stores to keep prices high.
Example: A half-gram live rosin cart is (including tax) about $83!!! Most stores have wide variety of pricey flower by the 1/8th, but maybe 2 or 3 items by the oz., often over $200.

The gray market stores that used to hold appeal because they made cannabis easily available, now to me feel less credible in terms of sourcing, quality control, etc. (OK?? or a warehouse in Queens??)
The fierce competition seems to have greatly improved product quality and diversity in Ok. Low quality and high prices should be expected in an over-regulated market IMO. It's just weed, how tight do the regulations need to be?

Last edited:

Madtater

What?

No thc, just cbd….and a lifetime ban? I mean i could see if she brought flower on board, or if she was trying to hide something…..but still.

Just another reason to not give money to these corporations who WILL not evolve.

Madtater,
Reactions: Cheebsy

florduh

What?

No thc, just cbd….and a lifetime ban? I mean i could see if she brought flower on board, or if she was trying to hide something…..but still.

Just another reason to not give money to these corporations who WILL not evolve.

She got off easy. A few years ago, Disney World got some nice granny's asshole searched over CBD oil

florduh,

JBone65

I know this has already been posted but I think it's hilarious. The DOJ might be concerned but I suspect the gun lobby is happy to arm weed heads. We're probably more likely to shoot ourselves anyway. Supposedly there is concern that we might not put the weapon away properly before smoking. I guess that's possible, assuming we had it out in the first place. Even 2nd amendment Ok has a BS law like this but I suspect a high percentage of Okie tokers own weapons anyway. What else are we supposed to use???🤠✌️:leaf:

JBone65,

JBone65

This video gets a lot right but it leaves out a lot as well. It emphasizes the wide open aspects of the Ok medical system, where anybody who can breath can get a medical license and/or pursue their dreams to grow or sell cannabis from a shack.

It talks about the massive quantities being grown, and it implies that it's largely locals or organized criminals. True to an extent, but many top growers and companies from other states are also operating and competing here. While the average dispensary is relatively low budget, there are also many busy modern-style dispensaries. Nothing is said about the knock-on benefits such as the high number of employed, both directly and indirectly, and the payroll and other taxes they happily pay. Nothing is said about continuously improving product quality and value resulting from fair market competition, or evolving grow technology. In four years, I've only heard one politician say he wants to roll it back, and he was probably lying. It must be a modern day gold-rush-style cash bonanza. Some folks have been adversity affected due to proximity to an unscrupulous grower. Other than that, not seeing many problems with the program.

BTW, got these 50mg full spectrum gummies for $1.05 apiece. I wasn't an edible fan for 50+ years but these are worth the price of admission. It might be the full spectrum aspect that makes the difference. It ain't fucking combustion.

PXL-20231123-181929472.jpg

Madtater

Of course gun owners can get plastered on alcohol and nobody says boo.
The laws havent caught up yet to the legalization in my state. It is legal for rec, but if i go and attempt to get a med card (to avoid taxes), they will pull my conceal cary pistol permit.

I dont know if that is by design, but it almost makes it look like as long as we pay taxes on the product, it is fine and allowed.

I am ALWAYS responsible when it comes to that stuff. But i can see where the state wants to separate the med from the CCL.

Honestly, i would think alcohol is a MUCH worse substance to consume when firearms are involved….but that is my opinion. The state does not recognize that difference.

Either way, i will continue to partake in cannabis legally, and be a responsible firearm owner. The two CAN be separated. Hopefully the state sees it as well….but not likely i would imagine.

Gunky

Honestly, i would think alcohol is a MUCH worse substance to consume when firearms are involved….but that is my opinion. The state does not recognize that difference.
I agree. The alcohol consumer is probably whipping it out and pointing it at things while the pothead is obsessing about is the gun safe enough where it is...

Top Bottom