• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Camouflet Convector

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
I have 2 idea may help eliminate stirring.

1. I LOVE the low heat mass because i can ride the line and, if its too hot, the cap usually releases its heat before the herb combusts. But the downside is that the cap cools before the herb on the other side of the bowl is at temp. I think adding a few extra layers in the heater will allow for that heat to last just slightly longer to heat that farther herb too cuz consider this: as the air travels through the bowl and releases heat into the herb, it cools. So the bottom of the bowl will take more time to reach vaping temp than the top.

2. You could have a rod on the inside of the cap that would reach into the bowl, sort of stabbing a hole in it. Now, if this rod was off center or even close to the edge, you could stir the bowl without removing the cap.

Just some ideas as I can't experiment.

Also, what size screen is in there. I NEED to replace it.
I've actually thrown my silver fmj on my cap and it's perfect

I also think a stir/heat conductor rod wouldn't be too hard, just a small titanium rod that was pointed slightly at the end to make poking through a sinch
You need to get rid of those tabs that are sticking up on the bottom screen or the stir rod will catch them

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
IMPO replace the pos screen with an open mesh ss screen. I used my inhalator screens, perfect fit. Way better then the clog hog hot plate screen (GH, MV1, Angus, this).

Custom Flower Hardware,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

BingsBuddery

Derelict Meatsack
What's up ya'll? Finally got my Convector delivered two days ago after it's lengthy journey across NA. The Convector was donated for an honest review on my YouTube channel (full disclosure: although, I see Camouflet has already affirmed this). I've put probably 30-40 bowls through it since I've gotten it, in all kinds of pack varieties and heating styles, and have even been punished a few times via combustion for getting cocky.

Initial impressions (similar to others):

Condenser O-Rings:
I had no trouble getting o-rings onto the condensers, but I have to whole heartedly agree with anyone who had trouble getting the o-rings into the stem while keeping the condenser centred. It was rage inducing for a guy with large hands, so my advice there is possibly to add some oring grooves along the condenser, and potentially switch to a round edge o-ring instead of these flat edge ones that tend to stick and drag along the inner stem.

Screen: I swapped the stock screen for regular mesh after 10 or so bowls. Haven't looked back.

Aesthetics and Build Quality:
The materials and machining are good, nothing feels cheap or of poor quality, however, I will echo the desire of others to see a titanium variant. Prior to receiving the Convector, I was a little concerned about the durability of the cap, but having thrown a ton of heat at it since then, that concern has completely subsided; this thing is built to last. I really like the balance in hand; its like a bottom heavy joint and the rear taper sits nicely between the fingers. I quite like the decision to use ceramic insert condensers (save the orings), as they do a great job of maintaining the terpene profile while cooling. The single bore obviously being the less restricted but hotter of the two. I see both having their benefits and if they were easier to swap out, I'd probably get a lot of use from both. I really appreciated the little wooden carry case. Its a simple but highly effective solution, and its very compact.

Heatup and Use:
As I said, I have combusted a few times while experimenting with heating styles. I intentionally didn't engage with any instruction as I wanted to see how user friendly it would be coming in completely blind, and what I've found is that there are a variety of ways one can choose to heat it, but it will punish you if you try and outsmart the process. I like Camouflet's method of heating at a 45 degree upward angle toward the tip and using the flame colour change as an indicator. With that method I tend to get very terpy mid-sized hits. Another method I've had a lot of fun with is hybrid IH/torch heating, where I'll plunge the entire load into my Apollo II for a say 7 seconds, remove it and blast the cap holes with a torch for a few seconds. That seems to get me some thicker hits and a more even roast. I haven't found a need to stir it, but I do find that if you don't engage heat on any part but the very tip, the top of the load cooks out harder than the lower half, but with consecutive heat cycles, I don't find I need to stir it as long as it's packed loosely. I also find that a half pack with a tiny tamp can really throw some flavour if you give it a decent heating. Hot swapping is a cinch with a MH Reload, but even if one didn't have magnets, the rapid pace of heating and cooling makes back-to-back bowls pretty easy to achieve. Not unlike a DV in that regard, I suppose. I tried slapping an FMJ on it, but it was too slippy for my mental comfort.

Flavour:
I figure this deserves it's own category. The flavour produced by the Convector is slightly dependent on the method of heating. When you are focusing the heat at the tip and the holes (using it how intended), and you get your timing just right, the flavour is sublime. But if you are doing a hybrid IH/Torch hit, it can be a bit roastier tasting, so it's subjective based on the method of use. I'm quite liking it for my wake and bake, eye-opener hits; lots of flavour and just enough THC to not ruin my entire afternoon.

Some Additional Thoughts:
My unit was donated for review, so I can't hardly complain, but for buyers it would be good to see it come with a basic maintenance kit (extra o-rings and screens), and perhaps even a de-capping magnet of some variety. Also, for those who don't like coming in blind, a formal set of PDF instructions would probably be appreciated across the board. Those instructions should include heating angles, times, load and torch size suggestions.

Overall:
Obviously, it is still very new to me, and I am bound to have more to say in a formal review, but thus far, it's been good fun to put the Convector through it's paces, and I look forward to now reading back and learning how everyone else likes to use it! Cheers, everybody. :rockon:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
FYI Camouflet has just started a contest for those interested.

:peace:

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
Do users have a preferred mesh size/wire size and material?
I think this matters to some people more than others. I'm happy enough with any old screen tbh so long as it cleans easily enough/stands up to repeated high temp torching. The sieve on the Vapman is an excellent forever kind of screen. That said make the mesh screens too fiddly (eg revolve 1.0) and I lose patience. It's the O rings (or diameter of the cooling system) that needs most work right now.

seriousTone

I do get some fine particles in my mouth but I don't mind it. I'd rather have the screen not clog and mine has stayed very un clogged somehow even after some combustions. I just brush it out between every use or two.

I would say I think the o rings on the actual tip are slightly too big, internal diameter wise. They work quite well in the convector stem if spun while inserted, but they roll out pretty damn easy with your thumb and also when I tried to use a different stem they seemed to roll out of the groove and pinch a lot easier for some reason - in my experience.

The condenser o rings have stretched enough that they aren't really hard to get over the condenser but I must admit, is pretty hard to shove the end one down between the condenser and stem and have everything sit flush on the end of the stem and not roll or pinch inwards - that's an aesthetic thing more so though I think.

Last edited:

SpacelyJetson

I do get some fine particles in my mouth but I don't mind it. I'd rather have the screen not clog and mine has stayed very un clogged somehow even after some combustions. I just brush it out between every use or two.

I would say I think the o rings on the actual tip are slightly too big, internal diameter wise. They work quite well in the convector stem if spun while inserted, but they roll out pretty damn easy with your thumb and also when I tried to use a different stem they seemed to roll out of the groove and pinch a lot easier for some reason - in my experience.

The condenser o rings have stretched enough that they aren't really hard to get over the condenser but I must admit, is pretty hard to shove the end one down between the condenser and stem and have everything sit flush on the end of the stem and not roll or pinch inwards - that's an aesthetic thing more so though I think.
Yeah..you gotta wrassle with em. I cleaned mine last week after I combusted in it while testing out using a torch. I'll never take the stem out again IMO. I'll just douse parchment paper in alcohol twist and spin it in the ceramic tube so I'll never have to fight with o rings again.

Perfect_Speed4069

So I took a break from the Convector for a couple of days, just to reset my expectations. On day one I managed about 5 loads, and wrote up my first impressions on Reddit, answering questions and stuff. Anyway, I put it down and walked away. First time I've used it since, and I feel like my technique has improved. The first 2 hits off the first load were superlative. I reckon to have had some terpy hits from GlassCharlie's TastyTube (and my usual Vapman and Dani are all about the flavours as well) but this was off the charts.

In fact I've decided chasing a 1 hit extraction in this device (for me) makes as much sense as one-hitting the Vapman. I am lucky to have many better options for this type of usage (eg the Dani can handle tiny amounts and still bring it out the colour of espresso grinds off a single heat cycle with zero skill/judgement).

In terms of performance, I'd say the Convector is definitely [irony klaxon] the Vapman's half-sister. I know this sounds ludicrous: the Convector is as convection heavy as the Vapman is conduction heavy. But both excel in providing maximum flavour over a session whose length is set by your own technique/preferred rate of extraction.*

I am completely smitten by this cap and tip (even getting better at getting the cap without getting it caught on the edge of the bowl) and cannot recommend highly enough. Others will get much more extreme performance I'm sure, but I'll prefer to use my Noisy Cricket/Dani for the times I want hits like those.

For the times I want to get thoughtfully baked, slowly and terpily (and pretty discreetly) this will be my thing.

*also, moroccan hash in both is an absolute joy. But now I think about it, I say that about almost every vape I own (except the Dynavap).

coolbreeze

So I took a break from the Convector for a couple of days, just to reset my expectations. On day one I managed about 5 loads, and wrote up my first impressions on Reddit, answering questions and stuff. Anyway, I put it down and walked away. First time I've used it since, and I feel like my technique has improved.
I've had the same thing happen: it's just easier each day with no real "breakthrough."
The first 2 hits off the first load were superlative. I reckon to have had some terpy hits from GlassCharlie's TastyTube (and my usual Vapman and Dani are all about the flavours as well) but this was off the charts.

In fact I've decided chasing a 1 hit extraction in this device (for me) makes as much sense as one-hitting the Vapman.
yeah, it's a nice flavor sipper, but I do get bigger hits than with like the Vapman.

I am lucky to have many better options for this type of usage (eg the Dani can handle tiny amounts and still bring it out the colour of espresso grinds off a single heat cycle with zero skill/judgement).

Yep, this is not that kind, but I can't complain abut whispy hits. They're nice and reasonably full, but not lungbusters.

In terms of performance, I'd say the Convector is definitely [irony klaxon] the Vapman's half-sister. I know this sounds ludicrous: the Convector is as convection heavy as the Vapman is conduction heavy. But both excel in providing maximum flavour over a session whose length is set by your own technique/preferred rate of extraction.
Yep, you can get really good flavor with this.
I am completely smitten by this cap and tip (even getting better at getting the cap without getting it caught on the edge of the bowl) and cannot recommend highly enough. Others will get much more extreme performance I'm sure, but I'll prefer to use my Noisy Cricket/Dani for the times I want hits like those.
My only complaint besides trying to insert the frikkin condenser is that I've had the cap fall off a couple times. Been afraid to jam it on too hard.
For the times I want to get thoughtfully baked, slowly and terpily (and pretty discreetly) this will be my thing.
Yeah, I really enjoy just sitting and slow-roasting my way through a bowl: great flavor, nice effects. Totally manual but not at all difficult, start with the suggested timings and positions and just feel it out, really.

Here as with the DV the cap is the thing. If you're unsure of committing, get the tip and cap and put it on your fav DV stem and give it a spin. A few days in and you'll probably love it.

Edit: Yeah, it really is like the Vapman. That's a surprisingly apt comparison.

Last edited:

Perfect_Speed4069

My new O ring technique. This method took me took me 4 minutes, not 20. YMMV
  • Place a single o ring on one end of a condenser (about 7mm from the end)
  • Feed the o ring end of the condenser into the bowl/tip end of the stem at a slight angle. Grease or spit on the o ring.
  • Slowly turn/screw the condenser inside the stem, until you can push the condenser in no further.
  • Push the condenser up inside the stem (maybe using the spare condenser if you have one) until the other end of the condenser pokes out of the mouthpiece, area about 6 or 7 mm clear
  • Put the second o ring on the end of the condenser and work it down until it's about 3 or 4mm from the end of the condenser
  • Push the end of the condenser back inside the barrel, and when the o ring meets the mouthpiece, use your thumbnail to work the o ring into the stem hole. When it's just about in, place the whole thing mouthpiece down on a table and and press down hard. (this bit will need x5 or x6 attempts before it sits true/I'm 90% happy with the results)
I should have done pics, obv, but this method has worked x2 for me, and takes about 4 mins. Would it be rude to ask @Camouflet how long it takes them to assemble the thing, and their preferred method?

Last edited:

seriousTone

I do the exact same method. The only problem is you need some good thumb nails to push that o ring down and then when you're squishing the mouthpiece down onto the table yo make it flush, the o ring sometimes rolls or pinches.

But I think it is the best method as well.

Perfect_Speed4069

I do the exact same method. The only problem is you need some good thumb nails to push that o ring down and then when you're squishing the mouthpiece down onto the table yo make it flush, the o ring sometimes rolls or pinches.

But I think it is the best method as well.
It's so frustrating. The o rings/assembly are the only thing standing between this and greatness. Has anyone tried sourcing their own o rings for this? I've wasted shitloads sourcing alternative o rings on other vapes, so someone else can take this task on.

Perfect_Speed4069

Lol.. pretty much exactly how I've learned to do it, as well. I'm just keeping the single bore in there until a solution is offered. It's almost funny how frustrating it is. :rofl:
I think the thing is - they have worked real hard on the parts and must have a fair few in stock. Although the parts are great, turns out, to fit together they require an o ring that's half to a quarter mm smaller. This is a non standard size. As I understand it, custom o rings are insanely expensive. So essentially they have an amazing vape held hostage by sub par o rings [insert Dani comment here]. What to do? Junk the existing condensers and remake, reducing their diameter slightly? Plough on? Can't be an easy decision on the back of what? 50 units sold so far. I really love this thing and really want to see them do well. But I guess this is why private Beta testing is easier to manage. Anyway....

seriousTone

It's so frustrating. The o rings/assembly are the only thing standing between this and greatness.
I don't know, I really like the device and have decided it's going to permanently replace my danavap tip.

But the one thing keeping it from greatness in my eyes is the fact that I have to either stir or introduce 1 or 2 straight conduction heat cycles in order to finish the load off evenly. I still have no idea how, and find it hard to believe frankly, that anyone else here is only heating the very tip and getting straight convection hits are getting a completely evenly roasted bowl.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really mind stirring at home nor the conduction hits at the end, so am super glad that the conduction heat cycles work so effectively; because to have to worry about stirring this, if I were on the go would not make it replace my vapcap stem.

Which made me start to wonder - how the hell does the grasshopper vape, being 100% convection, get the whole load perfectly even every single time?! That technology/ability in the convector would make this device GREAT!
(So the only thing that was keeping the grasshopper from truly being GREAT, in my opinion was that it didn't take the avb quite dark enough for my tastes.)

Perfect_Speed4069

But the one thing keeping it from greatness in my eyes is the fact that I have to either stir or introduce 1 or 2 straight conduction heat cycles in order to finish the load off evenly
Fair comment. But like I said before - I'm not bothered this does not extract as fully as other convection vapes (in my case, the Noisy Cricket and Tasty Tube): its small form factor, flavour, and ease of use (once assembled) is enough to warrant a solid recommendation to people who enjoy paying attention to how (long) they heat, and how hard they draw.

Camouflet

Manufacturer
I should have done pics, obv, but this method has worked x2 for me, and takes about 4 mins. Would it be rude to ask @Camouflet how long it takes them to assemble the thing, and their preferred method?
Here's a quick video on how to assemble the Convector ceramic tubes + o-rings + stem. We use our thumbs to "roll" the o-rings onto the ceramic inserts. Set both o-rings at a distance, with one set very close to the ceramic tube end/edge. Then insert this o-ring into the stem mouthpiece end(do not insert into the chamber end of the stem - you can but it's more difficult to set o-rings in place) on an angle while spinning the stem and pushing the ceramic tube inwards, "plunging" the o-rings into the stem. Sliding the ceramic tube inwards, making it towards the second o-ring, pinch one side of the o-ring with a thumb/fingernail or tool of choice (don't use a sharp object) mimicking the same angled insertion of the first o-ring. Push and twist. The o-rings should be set apart with a gap between them holding the ceramic tube parallel to the stem. Other than this slight gap between them, the o-rings do not have a fixed location on the ceramic tube or inside of the stem, they can be set anywhere. Assembly gets much easier over time with practice. Refinements in the works as the hands of time move forward.

"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast."

Last edited:

sedentree

Just received my Convector. I ordered it on the 24th Feb, delivered to the UK. Gonna give it a soak but I am pretty happy with the device in hand. I'm not an expert on vaping by any means, and I wouldn't normally review stuff but in biting the bullet and getting on the early access train I imagine whatever thoughts I have will be appreciated.

As I say, I'm happy to receive it and for the most part I'm happy with the quality of the Convector, but I do appear to have been a little unlucky in the quality control side of things. Not the end of the world as I can't see this affecting my enjoyment of it (presuming I enjoy using it, which I don't see why I wouldn't from what I've read on here so far). I've got some photos but mainly some dirt on the stem and the cap was attached very tightly which is probably the culprit for some light scratching on the outer part of the tip/bowl. We'll see how it all looks after the initial cleaning.

I think the bamboo container is a nice little piece of packaging and I can see my having it displayed on one of my bookshelves for the most part.

I think there is room for improvement in terms of packaging for the ceramic cooling units and spare o-ring sets, at least some smaller baggies but that is a very minor gripe and I have no doubt it's on the roadmap.

Photos

seriousTone

I've been playing with Simrell's Copper FMJ around the Convector tip and so far it's been very interesting.

I still heat the very top of the tip across the airflow holes for all hits except the last 1 or 2.
What's interesting is that although some heat transfers from the tip to the FMJ, allowing your hit(s) to be extended quite nicely - as you can see in the photos - the majority of heat is still coming from the tip therefore convection; these are from two separate bowls.

I wouldn't say the FMJ, when directly heated, more evenly roasts the herb than just heating the side of the bowl directly, but I definitely think it gives you a little more wiggle room before combustion.

Other than that it's just a pro/con between longer cooldown and longer hits. Pretty neat to have the option of a nice hybrid experience though, I'm keeping it on for the time being.

sedentree

Just received my Convector. I ordered it on the 24th Feb, delivered to the UK. Gonna give it a soak but I am pretty happy with the device in hand. I'm not an expert on vaping by any means, and I wouldn't normally review stuff but in biting the bullet and getting on the early access train I imagine whatever thoughts I have will be appreciated.

As I say, I'm happy to receive it and for the most part I'm happy with the quality of the Convector, but I do appear to have been a little unlucky in the quality control side of things. Not the end of the world as I can't see this affecting my enjoyment of it (presuming I enjoy using it, which I don't see why I wouldn't from what I've read on here so far). I've got some photos but mainly some dirt on the stem and the cap was attached very tightly which is probably the culprit for some light scratching on the outer part of the tip/bowl. We'll see how it all looks after the initial cleaning.

I think the bamboo container is a nice little piece of packaging and I can see my having it displayed on one of my bookshelves for the most part.

I think there is room for improvement in terms of packaging for the ceramic cooling units and spare o-ring sets, at least some smaller baggies but that is a very minor gripe and I have no doubt it's on the roadmap.

Photos

To follow up, I soaked the stem, tip and both condensers (single and quad) in DynaClean for a couple of hours and then rinsed in cold water before leaving to dry that evening and overnight. After the soak I did have to give the stem a bit of a light scrub with a sponge in order to remove the stain on the stem. It is mostly gone and I think most people wouldn't notice and like I thought, it has no material affect on my enjoyment of the device.

What was interesting on playing around with it before the soak was the condensor dimensions. I'd read on this thread somebody else mentioned they were suprised to find inconsistencies, and I would agree. My test was to see if I'd be able to use the condensers to remove the screen in the bowl (much like you might do with a Dynavap). One end of the quad condenser just fits inside the end of the bowl and can slide towards the screen just about ok. If I turn the condenser around, it barely fits and probably wouldn't go more than a couple of mm towards the bowl. The single condenser has one side that almost fits into the tip and one side that pretty much sits flush and cannot enter into the bowl from that end.

I definitely need to do some work to dial it in but liking it so far, it's different to my other vapes (Mighty, TM2, Dynavap, Vapman), maybe the closest is the Vapman. So far I've had two bowls, interestingly I have found that just dropping some material in and doing a light tap on the side is all good, the bowl looks almost full, and after a few hits, the material has managed to tamp itself/reduce in size such that it looks like I only filled half a bowl. I haven't produced many clouds yet, maybe one or two but the taste is mellow and smooth. So far I haven't actually used any of my condensers and I am wondering whether I should bother (mainly laziness, I'm enjoying it now and I've read the o rings can be a challenge so maybe I don't even need to try?). Only used my Wand with it so far as well. I've found the ABV to be very light.

Another thing I enjoy is how quickly the cap cools down on inhale, it means it is easy to check the consistency of your material and see how much might be left / do the stirring.

I guess the main concern at the moment is how mindful you have to be with the device. Again, as I've only used the Wand, I can definitely foresee me forgetting to count light flashes or just forgetting why I am counting, lol. To be fair, even with the click, you can't be too blase about not paying attention when heating a Dynavap so not a major drawback but the danger in using this device is what it does to the short term mermory :D

Top Bottom