• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Budget Portable Vapor For College Student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
135 eh? VG Coil 35$, Palm 2.0 65$, Ali Ex HC bub 29.50$, 5x butane 5.50$ Boom! Or that Vapolution 2.0 for half off, sick deal!

Last edited:

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Solos can be had for under 135 on ebay. Otherwise the lotus doesn't sound bad the way natural farmer put it, I recommend a Hammer if you don't want to deal with torch lighters.

EDIT:
Butane may sound bad but once you're out its a quick refill and a 3 minute wait, versus 2+ hours of charging.
You can find pretty small butane cans, they last pretty long in my opinion.

I feel you should ignore the PAXs, DaVincis, and Pinnacles as those aren't really options, realistically

Last edited:

olivianewtonjohn

Ok a few things, I am a fellow college student. I have no other experience with vapes other than the solo but I have researched the shit out of this topic. Here is why I picked the solo and think its the best portable under $300.
-Flavor (glass and stainless steel)
-Battery life (I have smoked with 4+ others and never ran out of battery)
-Simple, no learning curve
-Efficiency (this was big for me, from what I gather other than log vapes the solo is perhaps the most efficient portable)
-On 7 its pretty powerful in cloud production (have heard it comes close to many desktop vapes)
-Discrete with cup method
-Many accessories

If these features seem important to you then the solo should be your choice. You can find it around $120 or if your really on a budget wait for it to show up in the classified section or ebay. I saw one going for $80 used last week. Obviously IMO its best to buy new but it is a pretty reliable design so if you have to go used then I guess go for it. I was looking at many lower priced vapes since I was also on a budget but when I saw how much more I got with the solo it was a no brainer.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I didn't see it mentioned that it had to be a flowers vape so I will recommend a concentrate style pen vape. I personally find it much easier to use concentrates on the go because you can put in a good load and vape for quite a while. The VIP from SSV, Dr. Dabber, Dabbler, or ever LAYG carts would be a great choice IMO.

The VIP can hold a pretty good amount while the other three are more load as you go from what I can gather.

*Edit* Just saw you said no e-cig type models.

Gonzo,

mlo4sho

I can't help but recommend the Solo. It's the best choice, imo, for what you're interested in. I also have the Lotus, which is great, but there is a bit of a learning curve so it may be tough to share with others until they develop the technique. The Solo has literally zero learning curve, you pack it and inhale. For an experienced vaporist, the Lotus might offer some benefits to the Solo, but for someone in your situation and price range you aren't going to beat the Solo. :2c:

Shrinks

Enjoy Responsibly
After seeing the overwhelming amount of support for the Solo and many video reviews, it really does seem like a top vape. I'm sure if I went with the Lotus I wouldn't have gone wrong, but I love the idea of conserving some herb and pick-up-and-go. It's also small enough and easy to store. I'd rather put a lot of money into a quality vaporizer now than to buy say, a base price of $85 and end up buying a $135+ later on.

Thanks for the input everyone! Would anyone happen to know if dispensaries carry them?

natural farmer

After seeing the overwhelming amount of support for the Solo and many video reviews, it really does seem like a top vape. I'm sure if I went with the Lotus I wouldn't have gone wrong, but I love the idea of conserving some herb and pick-up-and-go. It's also small enough and easy to store. I'd rather put a lot of money into a quality vaporizer now than to buy say, a base price of $85 and end up buying a $135+ later on.

Thanks for the input everyone! Would anyone happen to know if dispensaries carry them?

Solo is a good choice since you will also be sharing with friends and girlfriends! Bare in mind that the Lotus is a tad more efficient though and can handle smaller loads better. Solo is underwhelming with 0,05 gr loads imo but is better than the Lotus with bigger loads (0,2-0,3) if you need to quickly destroy a small party of people. ;)

olivianewtonjohn

Solo is a good choice since you will also be sharing with friends and girlfriends! Bare in mind that the Lotus is a tad more efficient though and can handle smaller loads better. Solo is underwhelming with 0,05 gr loads imo but is better than the Lotus with bigger loads (0,2-0,3) if you need to quickly destroy a small party of people. ;)
Really guess it's a tolerance thing? I have loaded .02g (weighed) and definitely felt it. .06g (unpacked full bowl) smashes me if it's good stuff

olivianewtonjohn,

natural farmer

Really guess it's a tolerance thing? I have loaded .02g (weighed) and definitely felt it. .06g (unpacked full bowl) smashes me if it's good stuff

0,06 is an unpacked full bowl for you??? :o Damn! That is some really dry herb you've got there olivia!

A full unpacked Solo bowl is usually 0,1 for me... Anyway, I didn't say you don't feel it but with the Lotus you also puff clouds with such small quantities... Not so with the Solo and I have had some pretty dank stuff in there that wouldn't stop giving vapor in bigger loads! :2c:

natural farmer,

clouded vision

put a domed screen in the solo bowl which will reduce the bowl size and allow you to fully pack it with much less. If you do this you will be able to blow huge clouds with a very small amount. also it helps to evenly brown the herb

clouded vision,

natural farmer

put a domed screen in the solo bowl which will reduce the bowl size and allow you to fully pack it with much less. If you do this you will be able to blow huge clouds with a very small amount. also it helps to evenly brown the herb

Done that... Side by side tests give Lotus the first place with small loads ime... Anyone with both vapes to give a second opinion? :cool: Lotus also gets me higher with smaller loads. It must be the intense heat that doesn't diminish while you draw and gets you a fuller spectrum extraction... You can't beat the power of a torch flame with a couple of batteries! You need a Sublimator to do this! :lol:

natural farmer,
Reactions: vorrange

clouded vision

I can see that,I haven't tried the lotus at all so I can't compare, I was just saying I can use less than 0.1g to pack my solo with a domed screen is all. I think my next vape is going to have to be some sort of flame powered vape, that's really the only thing missing from my repertoire

Patrick Hughes

Stoneman
. I think my next vape is going to have to be some sort of flame powered vape, that's really the only thing missing from my repertoire
I haven't tried a lotus yet (or used any flowers for about 18 months) but I am really interested and am strongly considering a purchase.

Patrick Hughes,

natural farmer

One of the things that also bothers me with the Solo is the restriction of the draw. Even with a screen in the SS bowl to improve airflow or a PVHES stem the restriction is still obvious when compared with a modern log vape or the Lotus in this case. It's just the Solo's design. More airflow overwhelms the little heater. This restriction leads to the need for longer hits in order to get the same amount of vapor. Longer hits can be a cause of teeth pain, irritated throat and longer sessions than necessary on some scenarios... Thus the added need for water filtration for most people after some time... Another think to consider. Hope you didn't get dizzy Shrinks... ;)

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I think if it is going to be common to be with other people and this is your only vape then you should choose the Solo.

EDIT:
The Lotus is good and sounds amazing, but unlike natural and some of us you wont have other vapes that other people can use with ease. Even though the Lotus has a easy learning curve I find allowing people even if they are smart to try and control the heating to be problematic. Especially if these are people that aren't going to be around long enough to actually care how to use it.

Plus you will have more control of how your abv comes out forcing the temperature at something.

EDIT 2:
@clouded vision you should check out the Hammer vaporizer if you have a HI, I know the non-lock glass stems fit well on my underdog, but the design is very log like.

Last edited:

mlo4sho

The Solo works great with small amounts. If small loads are your preference, check out the PHVES Shorty Stem. It's probably around .05 a load -- with no packing -- just a light tap down. I haven't weighed in a while but I know that I can barely fit a .1 in a regular stem. This is a bowl from the Shorty stem. As you can see, you can get very nice hits from a small amount. I like the Lotus for really small loads, like .04 or less. But Solo wins for .05-.1 in my opinion. :2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom