Brilliant Cut Grinder

GratefulDread

Has anyone purchased a full quality alu BCG recently? Does it really take 6-8 weeks? Even longer?
(I'm 3.5 weeks in)
E: Also, do they send an email when it ships? Or will it just show up?

Last edited:

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
^for real. I’m going 50/50 OM and BCG right now, the lighter weight is a plus for the BCG for sure.

Timps27,
Reactions: cosimo

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
^for real. I’m going 50/50 OM and BCG right now, the lighter weight is a plus for the BCG for sure.

I've had my aluminum BCG for over four years now, and I's still basically in new condition.
I like how light it is, and don't feel the need for a heavier one.
I'm still not convinced by the trend of SS grinders that cost hundreds of dollars lately.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
I've had my aluminum BCG for over four years now, and I's still basically in new condition.
I like how light it is, and don't feel the need for a heavier one.
I'm still not convinced by the trend of SS grinders that cost hundreds of dollars lately.
I think the only thing to sway me would be moving to ss out of an abundance of caution to avoid vaping Al. I have seen photos of damaged center posts on Reddit, but my bcg at a year old still looks pristine so it’s hard for me to say if it’s realistic that ss would do me any good (besides as a strength training tool).

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I think the only thing to sway me would be moving to ss out of an abundance of caution to avoid vaping Al. I have seen photos of damaged center posts on Reddit, but my bcg at a year old still looks pristine so it’s hard for me to say if it’s realistic that ss would do me any good (besides as a strength training tool).
IMO this is an unfounded concern. If you have a damaged unit, return or exchange it. No one is sitting around vaping on aluminum shavings.

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I like scraping hash off the grinder teeth with a knife when I have no weed. I prefer not having Al shavings in the "hash" (It is a bit minuscule amount generally, to talk about "hash" really :)). That is the main reason for me for a SS. And I found that the teeth stay very sharp for a longer time with the SS.

iammyself

Factory Seconds are back in stock for anyone who, like me, hesitated until it was too late during the 420 sale. I ordered a medium grind Ruby/Gold/Emerald.

I had a BCG that I sold a year ago when I thought I was going on a long-term t-break. I ended up ordering a medium Santa Cruz Shredder on Amazon after the factory seconds went out of stock. I love the grind consistency of the SCS, but absolutely hate threading and unthreading it. Luckily, I should be able to return it after a thorough cleaning when the BCG gets here. ;)

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

IMO this is an unfounded concern. If you have a damaged unit, return or exchange it. No one is sitting around vaping on aluminum shavings.

I've never noticed any issues like that. Mine still looks like new. But, I would expect to have wear eventually with any grinder, even this one. And I highly doubt that any tiny bit of whatever that could get into my bowl from that sort of normal wear could be damaging in any way worthy of concern.

GratefulDread

I was going back and forth on the aluminum vs SS thing for a while. In the end, someone explained to me some of the other ways we regularly ingest metal particulate without knowing; not to mention other harmful materials, like micro-plastics. Sure, I'd like to never ingest metal again, but the reality is we're exposed to it often.

SquirrelMaster

I am convinced that the stainless grinds easier than the aluminum BCG but, by a very small margin. The teeth feel sharper and the weight helps in the grinding process imo. If the weight bothers someone though I can see the advantage of the aluminum. Both are arguably the best grinders on the market, so it's nice to have a choice.
I just got my polished stainless steel in. What do I need to do to clean it before first use?

Love how this thing feels in my hand. I don't care about scratches, I went for polished because it's less sticky than the matte.
I ran an iso soaked qtip over all the surfaces out of habit. Use microfiber if you need to dry, as the polished scratches easily. I'm careful with mine for that reason.

gordontreeman

I think absolutely if its damaged this is the move. I was thinking of hypothetically after years of use and letting the magnets bang together perhaps chipping some of the aluminum or anodization off (I don't know if the latter is a thing, but I would need to look into al anodization). That was the thrust of the handful of photos that popped up on reddit.

Obviously while I think its hypothetically possible, I haven't been in any rush to replace my AL BCG with a SS variant. I still happily grind everything through my bcg without worries about my imminent doom.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
bcg-cleaned-sm-2-jpg.16373

My purple has the usual wear marks on the center post and other parts also, some users have reported no wear at all after more than a year of use so not sure why it happens.

gordontreeman

Thanks for sharing @LesPlenty. It’s not a lot and I’m not sure if the temps we are generally using are hot enough to matter, but I guess the metal from those chips has to end up somewhere. Presumably unless you see them and dump any flower out of your grinder and thoroughly clean it, it would be into your bowl.

It’s definitely a “to each their own” thing. Al gets a bad rap due to the tenuous links to breast cancer at least where I am located in the states. Again for me it would strictly be an “abundance of caution” thing to move to stainless, I’m not otherwise knocking gfl or the build quality of the bcg (which is pretty top notch from what I can see).

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Also, particulate size matters— various workplace safety studies I’ve looked at draw a distinction between inhalable dust and respirable dust.

Inhaled metal dust doesn’t automagically enter your bloodstream. The particles need to be small enough to be processed by the alveoli.

BCGs are sharp but not that sharp.

Pinte

You also need to be inhaling the dust also, which is likely not going to happen unless you're doing huge rips and your airpath is mostly straight. Even then probably not. Weed is lighter and more likely. Unless you're ending up with mouthfuls of weed, then you're probably a-ok.

Top Bottom