Brainstorming ideas for a box mod style portable vape, but with the chamber inside the box, looking for advice from experienced users.

Alpinian

Hello, I am new here and I have been reading across many threads here and trying to also gather any useful information from the e-cig forums. I wanted a very small portable vape like the potv one, but I really wanted something on demand so I starting thinking about how I could make one that fits my needs. I don't have much knowledge on electronics or mods but I have been doing my research over the past few weeks and I think I have come up with a decent concept and wanted to run it by some members before I buy the parts.

So the way this would differ and hopefully overcome some challenges with other 510 style mods would mainly be the internal chamber, meaning the heating element and chamber would ideally be inside the box with the battery and chip. Right now I am thinking a Evolv DNA 100 color as the chip, with 316l SS wire to make sure the temperature control works, with a 18650 battery. For the bowl I am looking at ceramic insulation tubes used for electric insulation. Here is a link the the one I am looking at: Here
The material should be safe and very effective at insulating the heating element, the ID is 10mm and OD is 15mm, length is also 15mm. I was thinking I could stack three or four of these on top of eachother, stainless steel mesh in between the pieces, with the top piece serving as a bowl (maybe with dosing caps or a mesh dome like pipes posted). A stack of these would be around the same size as an 18650 so I think it could all stack together in a pretty small form factor.

The main concerns I have would be if the temperature control on the DNA chip would be accurate enough with SS coil, and if the ceramic tubing would contain the heat enough to not damage the battery and give a fast heat up time. I was also thinking about putting some kind of glass beads or 1mm rubies in with the coil to give good heat diffusion but wonder if that would hinder the heat up time too much. Anyone with experience think this is an idea worth continuing forward with? Any glaring flaws that would destroy the idea? I would go ahead and start experimenting but I don't want to buy the parts if everyone thinks its a horrible idea, at least the tinkering would be fun. Thanks for any responses, Alpinian.

Alpinian,
Reactions: KeroZen

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Hello, I am new here and I have been reading across many threads here and trying to also gather any useful information from the e-cig forums. I wanted a very small portable vape like the potv one, but I really wanted something on demand so I starting thinking about how I could make one that fits my needs. I don't have much knowledge on electronics or mods but I have been doing my research over the past few weeks and I think I have come up with a decent concept and wanted to run it by some members before I buy the parts.

So the way this would differ and hopefully overcome some challenges with other 510 style mods would mainly be the internal chamber, meaning the heating element and chamber would ideally be inside the box with the battery and chip. Right now I am thinking a Evolv DNA 100 color as the chip, with 316l SS wire to make sure the temperature control works, with a 18650 battery. For the bowl I am looking at ceramic insulation tubes used for electric insulation. Here is a link the the one I am looking at: Here
The material should be safe and very effective at insulating the heating element, the ID is 10mm and OD is 15mm, length is also 15mm. I was thinking I could stack three or four of these on top of eachother, stainless steel mesh in between the pieces, with the top piece serving as a bowl (maybe with dosing caps or a mesh dome like pipes posted). A stack of these would be around the same size as an 18650 so I think it could all stack together in a pretty small form factor.

The main concerns I have would be if the temperature control on the DNA chip would be accurate enough with SS coil, and if the ceramic tubing would contain the heat enough to not damage the battery and give a fast heat up time. I was also thinking about putting some kind of glass beads or 1mm rubies in with the coil to give good heat diffusion but wonder if that would hinder the heat up time too much. Anyone with experience think this is an idea worth continuing forward with? Any glaring flaws that would destroy the idea? I would go ahead and start experimenting but I don't want to buy the parts if everyone thinks its a horrible idea, at least the tinkering would be fun. Thanks for any responses, Alpinian.
Sounds like fun! I think it will be challenging to keep the electronics out of the heat envelope, but I am sure it is possible.

The Impcognito on an SBS is probably about the right size and may give you some inspiration:

Grass Yes,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Encapsulate your ceramic pieces inside a shiny SS or aluminium tube for extra insulation and make part of the heat bounce back. You can use foil if you can't source the correct diameter tube.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I have tried all the 510's.

The best one in my opinion is the I-heat. The heater is a Spiral mesh coil.

I just wish is was not quite so delicate as its made of wood.

A metal I-heat would be very cool.

Alpinian

Sounds like fun! I think it will be challenging to keep the electronics out of the heat envelope, but I am sure it is possible.

The Impcognito on an SBS is probably about the right size and may give you some inspiration:
Assuming the ceramic does a decent job of containing the heat, I might be able to use the type of flexible insulation rope they put in wood stoves and separate the compartments. Also I went down the rabbit holes of that sbs impcognito and I absolutely love it,
This one is very nice looking...
I saw some replies in that thread saying DNA boards can have a hard time getting consistent temperatures, but some other people say they are all good, so not sure what the plan is there.
Encapsulate your ceramic pieces inside a shiny SS or aluminium tube for extra insulation and make part of the heat bounce back. You can use foil if you can't source the correct diameter tube.
Great idea, I think some kind of insulation then a reflective layer to try and keep the battery cool.

I was thinking of making the stem slide in with o-ring fit over the bowl, sort of like a dynavap tip connects to the stem. Wood is more robust than glass for my use I think, so ill probably make just the stem from wood. Also I am not intending to make multiple units or anything, all of this is just for myself and the fun of experimenting.

GoldenBud

the 510 scene will die soon, better make a device like a Milaana or so, Unregulated, better for you not to be dependent on 510 mods

Farid

If you want fast on demand, you'll want a heater that can heat up and cool down very quickly. If you go to large, or use materials that take a long time to heat up, you'll burn through battery fast.

I'd look at this thread:

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Isn’t this exactly what the Little Bud Elite and Timber Elite were? Both used DNA boards and the heater was in the same enclosure as the board.

Last edited:
Monk Debate,
Reactions: GoldenBud

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer

I had one for a while. The woods Alan uses are hard and I never thought of the iHeat as delicate. There is a stainless steel foil heat shield inside that reflects much of the heat back into the unit. A metal device would get unbearably hot.

Only sold it because I moved away from electric/electronic devices altogether.

Haze Mister,
Top Bottom