• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Boundless Tera

Coatimundi

Well, crap.

After reading the frankly disturbing reports of units emitting smoke at working temperature, I heated mine up to 220C, waited 30 seconds and blew a light stream of air from a fish tank air pump at the intake on the bottom. Shining a flashlight at a slight upward angle near the top of the Tera I could see a wispy but steady stream of smoke rising from the chamber. Smoke continued to rise out of the chamber until the Tera did its 5 minute shutdown thing.

I waited 15 minutes and repeated the experiment, with the exact same results.

The chamber was completely clean when I started this exercise —I’ve only used the Tera once (last week) since receiving it, and had swabbed the chamber (with the unit inverted) with an iso-moistened q-tip after use. I had run several burn-off cycles at 175C when I initially received the Tera before using it, but didn’t look for smoke or evidence of outgassing at that time.

I loved my CFX, and had been waiting eagerly for the Tera's release, but I’m not comfortable with the idea of inhaling anything else from this unit until this issue is resolved.

The ceramic piece below the screen at the bottom of the chamber does not appear to be centered on my unit.

I’ve emailed the nice folks at POTV to ask what my options are. Hoping for the best.

Somewhat impulsively I gave my CFX away to a broke, vape-less friend after my initial session with the Tera, so I guess it’s back to my humble little Magic-Flight until I see how this plays out.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
There is another reason. Until they redesign the bottom of the heater to remove the use of goo to seal the air path around the wires, I wouldn’t even consider buying one.

Funny that I think I spotted the same goo in the ArGo tear-down made by PuffItUp but apparently it's not bothering anyone over there...

arizer-argo-teardown-chamber-dissambly-.jpg

Hard to tell from that picture alone. And the worst is that apparently in this case it's just to hold the wires in place, probably to ease assembly...

sammuel

Do you always have the same effect also with different cannabis?

I don't have access to different strains of cannabis son.. note that most of the world don't have cannabis shops yet, we do with what the street has to offer #thuglife :leaf:

sammuel,
Reactions: BigJr48

Joaon

Autoproduction?
Here too the offer is pretty poor.. That's why most of us (at least the more "connoisseur") tend to grow their own stuff. nothing to compare. ;):cool:

To not be fully off thread, I'm really bummed that Tera is not (yet?) a reliable unit. I really placed hope in this one :\
I think I'll take a FURY 2 and then wait and see :ninja:

:leaf:

vpr85

Funny that I think I spotted the same goo in the ArGo tear-down made by PuffItUp but apparently it's not bothering anyone over there...

Hard to tell from that picture alone. And the worst is that apparently in this case it's just to hold the wires in place, probably to ease assembly...

One manufacturer's goo may be different from another's. Maybe its not bothering anyone over there because its not the same stuff?

PPN

Volute of Vapor
@PPN my friend, I don't think you are being fair. You have never tried a boundless product yet you feel it is okay to bash @Boundless Vape Technology ?
Sorry but even if I never tried one I saw the pics and the design of most (all?) of their units is very bad looking and feel cheap. On top of that I remenber they was claiming their first vaporizers was convection..., although they wasn't the one manufacturer to make false claims, and now there is some issues with the Tera. It might be a good vape since the Swift (aka CFV) I tested was producing a very good quality vapor but battery life, design and all this plastic sucks!

I didn't mentionned the vapor quality since I never tested it but only the design and cheap look, the Alternate wasn't made of quality components but still produce a quality vapor, got one through a trade but never thought to buy one, the same for Boundless, if I have a good occasion I'll get one second hand unit, that's all.

Sorry again @sickmanfraud and @Boundless Vape Technology if I hurted you but it might be nice to know why some people stay away of your vaporizers, even if they work well. Although I can understand the design please to somebody else, my vaporblunt comparison was limited to this topic.

Sorry but even if I never tried one I saw the pics and the design of most (all?) of their units is very bad looking and feel cheap. On top of that I remenber they was claiming their first vaporizers was convection..., although they wasn't the one manufacturer to make false claims, and now there is some issues with the Tera. It might be a good vape since the Swift (aka CFV) I tested was producing a very good quality vapor but battery life, design and all this plastic sucks!

They look and feel cheap? Man you haven't used one put your opinions away. They have a modern design, and most of their units have felt great in my hand, the 710/cf/cfx all feel fantastic. The CFV definitely was not though.

Trying to influence people on a company you haven't ever supported or at least tried out at a trade show is pretty dumb

Last edited:

jerseydvd

Well, crap.

After reading the frankly disturbing reports of units emitting smoke at working temperature, I heated mine up to 220C, waited 30 seconds and blew a light stream of air from a fish tank air pump at the intake on the bottom. Shining a flashlight at a slight upward angle near the top of the Tera I could see a wispy but steady stream of smoke rising from the chamber. Smoke continued to rise out of the chamber until the Tera did its 5 minute shutdown thing.

I waited 15 minutes and repeated the experiment, with the exact same results.

The chamber was completely clean when I started this exercise —I’ve only used the Tera once (last week) since receiving it, and had swabbed the chamber (with the unit inverted) with an iso-moistened q-tip after use. I had run several burn-off cycles at 175C when I initially received the Tera before using it, but didn’t look for smoke or evidence of outgassing at that time.

I loved my CFX, and had been waiting eagerly for the Tera's release, but I’m not comfortable with the idea of inhaling anything else from this unit until this issue is resolved.

The ceramic piece below the screen at the bottom of the chamber does not appear to be centered on my unit.

I’ve emailed the nice folks at POTV to ask what my options are. Hoping for the best.

Somewhat impulsively I gave my CFX away to a broke, vape-less friend after my initial session with the Tera, so I guess it’s back to my humble little Magic-Flight until I see how this plays out.

I kicked my CFX to someone also, now I’m waiting on exchanging the Tera with Boundless. I’m on a vapcap m for a while. Could be worse! At least I got someone else on a vape ✌️

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
Such a high failure rate can't be blamed on CNY and rushing workers - the assembly process itself seems to be the cause. Anybody knows the real production conditions for those workers? better or worse than apple/foxcon?

Razor

Of course it can. Something like this should have every unite quality checked. That's why the stickers are put on there. If the stickers are put on there and they're not checked then its their fault for not checking them. I would say its assemblies fault if they were not checked at all but I've yet to hear of anyone without the QC sticker on their unit which means they all should have been checked.

There are typically two ways to inspect goods in China, either by performing a production check with a sampling from the whole lot or by inspecting fully the whole lot of goods being manufactured.

http://quality-manufacturing.org/china-quality-inspection-sampling-vs-full-check/

This isn't the type of device that doesnt receive a full QC.

LabPong

Of course it can. Something like this should have every unite quality checked. That's why the stickers are put on there. If the stickers are put on there and they're not checked then its their fault for not checking them. I would say its assemblies fault if they were not checked at all but I've yet to hear of anyone without the QC sticker on their unit which means they all should have been checked.

There are typically two ways to inspect goods in China, either by performing a production check with a sampling from the whole lot or by inspecting fully the whole lot of goods being manufactured.

http://quality-manufacturing.org/china-quality-inspection-sampling-vs-full-check/

This isn't the type of device that doesnt receive a full QC.

The quality control sticker on the vape means nothing.......nothing......unless you know exactly what was being checked for clearance. Possibly that sticker just means that the seams line up on the outside and there are no visible flaws....etc

Or does that quality control sticker mean that the unit was turned on and tested? Obviously not.

Razor

It should mean they actually checked the unit. Thats what most QC's mean if you just read the links I posted.

Unless it was a partial check which it should not be. Most of the devices Ive seen on here have visible flaws lol.

LabPong

It should mean they actually checked the unit. Thats what most QC's mean if you just read the links I posted.

Those links just are referring to general simple QC. We are talking about China manufacturing here....not something that has much control within. It is a huge cost to the big corps to continue this process, let alone a tiny little vape producer.

Some people here think a producer can shift blame and responsibility on the 3rd party manufacturer....that is total nonsense and lunacy.

Razor

General QC in China. They still follow the same protocol for QC's. They had no control over what they did unless they went there and did the QC themselves or had them sent directly to them to QC them themselvs which no one does. THATS lunacy to expect. companies dont have their product shipped to their houses to inspect them personally.

Quality Checks run the same unless they got a horrible illegal manufacturer which hasnt been the case in the past so hopefully it isnt now. Vape products in particular are supposed to get checked pretty well.

The biggest part about this company is that they are fixing it. Even loaning out vapes to people while they are fixing it. They arent leaving anyone to hang so far as I know and have even posted on this thread that they are fixing the issue. That's what a good company does.

Strakinpak

Seems like the QC stickers are bogus indeed. My bowl is misaligned and I also have the sticker.
We can expect a quality product, but I find it hard to blame an overworked chinese factory worker that just wants to go home on chinese new year. They'll get it sorted, I guess they are probably already aware of the issue.

Last edited:
Lets put it this way.

Say I want you to make me a sandwhich. First I start out with 1 every week, with slight changes. It's a complicated sandwich, I want you to get it right.

Then I ask for one every hour. Each one has to be identical.

After this I say, okay they are ready for production. I expect 30 per hour. All of them exactly the same.

Then you realize you have only a week to do 2 week's worth of work because you have a holiday. Now the demand is 60 per hour. Would you be able to meet it?

This is all theoretical, but what I am trying to say is that pressure to deliver a good on time can affect QC. The 'sandwiches' are either going to have misaligned parts (maybe the tomato is not centered), there aren't going to be enough of them, or they are not going to be checked thoroughly before getting sent off to the consumers.

I'm not saying this is exactly what happened to boundless, but man cut them some slack. They've been busy as hell and will fix the issue just like they did with the CF when it came out.

sammuel

I'm sure it was all an issue with them trying to get home asap.

-You can't be sure of something here man, you can assume and nothing more
-This is not the first time this happened, irrespective of CNY
-Nobody cares which excuse is to be used, unless you are the maker trying to put the blame on someone else
-Pre ordering something is NOT same as beta testing, when you pre order you just want to get the device quickly and be among the first to receive it. Those who pre ordered were not given this device for free to test it and to report back. Please stop making it sound as if it's somehow okay or reasonable or expected that the devices have issues (some possibly dangerous) just because it's first release or close to CNY or whatever else excuse that again, you 1. don't know 2. DOESN'T MATTER
:D

PPN

Volute of Vapor
They look and feel cheap? Man you haven't used one put your opinions away. They have a modern design, and most of their units have felt great in my hand, the 710/cf/cfx all feel fantastic. The CFV definitely was not though.

Trying to influence people on a company you haven't ever supported or at least tried out at a trade show is pretty dumb
I don't try to influence anybody, just speaking about the design, what is the problem? you like it and I don't like it, end of the story.

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
A similar old 'myth' esp for eu car manufacturers was the bad quality of so called 'monday products' - statistics clearly disproved that decades ago... Some companys traditionally also shut down 2 weeks over xmas/new year

Top Bottom