Bill Maher....

CANtalk

I should share one of my most favorite Bill Maher moments. I watched this live four years ago 👍.

To those that don't know, these two guys have been big big friends forever... and with cannabis in the mix :tup:. Woody Harrelson came on and looks HAF to me (after a long cannabreak it seems). Things go great from there. Enjoy.

Have a great weekend

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Thanks @CANtalk ! If you hadn't posted the video I would have missed it and its a good one IMO. Looks like I may have to watch the entire episode after all.

I watched Bill Maher's show without missing an episode until last night's episode. I took a pass last night because the previous two shows, IMO, sucked really badly. It wasn't a "I disagree and therefore I must not watch your program" kinda thing. I just didn't enjoy the show itself including the monologue, topics and folks on the panels. Felt like it was phoned in.....

CANtalk

Thanks @CANtalk ! If you hadn't posted the video I would have missed it and its a good one IMO. Looks like I may have to watch the entire episode after all.

I watched Bill Maher's show without missing an episode until last night's episode. I took a pass last night because the previous two shows, IMO, sucked really badly. It wasn't a "I disagree and therefore I must not watch your program" kinda thing. I just didn't enjoy the show itself including the monologue, topics and folks on the panels. Felt like it was phoned in.....
I post nowhere near weekly here... only his good+ YT content 👍.

I too found his last few episodes weak (for him). Been watching the show for years, usually it's pretty good and some episodes are excellent. Weak episodes happen, though thankfully not very much to this point. The current episode was okay. The one-on-one interview was Ricky Williams and it's good (cannabis related too). The panel was pretty average but he got some poignant zingers and comedy in.

florduh

I've watched Maher since his (imo much better) Politically Incorrect days. Though that may be colored by the fact I was literally a child at the time. I stopped in early 2020 (around the same time I quite Rogan, funny enough).

He's trying to straddle a left middle position it seems in these crazy times

IMO, Bill's political philosophy spans the entire spectrum... of people living in suburban Northern Virginia who make over 300k per year. It's a fusion of what Never Trump Republicans and Rachel Maddow libs complain about. And on any foreign policy issue, he sounds like a Neocon. The last thing he said that didn't come directly from the center of establishment political thought got him fired from ABC.

That having been said, I might dip back in. He's still pretty funny. I watched the episode with Marianne Williamson (who is an absolute delight) and some silicon valley entrepreneur. Bill immediately detected he was insincere and full of shit. It reminded me of why I found Maher compelling for such a large percentage of my life.

CANtalk

Bill also has a new podcast, Club Random. It's taped in the basement of his house where he talks to people while enjoying cannabis and drinks. The episodes are available on YT. This third episode was pretty good.

The first two episode were more average and the guests were William Shatner and Quentin Tarantino. As he gets more experience in this medium and style of work I expect him to improve more and more.

Enjoy.

florduh

I saw a clip from a recent interview with Bill. He was responding to accusations that he has become more Right Wing over the past few years. Bill denied it saying "I haven't changed. Things have just changed and I'm reacting to it."

So he hasn't changed. Society changed and he's simply reacting to it. He's having a Reaction to society changing. He's saying "I am a... Reactionary." Bill is admitting "I am Right Winger".

I think Bill generated a lot of good will from liberals during the post 9/11 era. He was one of the few talking heads on TV pushing back against the insanity of Bush, in a humorous way. But let's be honest about what this centimillionaire is today.

florduh

A grumpy SOC that should stop criticizing the younger generations for having their own views because they differ from his...but hey...as long as he is making money off other similar grumpy old farts. :2c:

Now that you mention it, probably going back almost 10 years like half of Bill's "New Rules" were about how whiny the kids are today. And about how good they have it. Recently it manifested in him deriding the concept of student loan relief. When Bill went to Cornell tuition was about $3,000. And non-Ivy League schools were about $700. Boomers, at least those who were white and avoided Vietnam, really were born into a sweet spot in history.

florduh

Because I watched that Maher video, the YouTube algorithm keeps feeding me his content.

So after you reach a certain age, do you just have to uncritically accept every narrative being pushed on Fox News? Yes, crime is up since 2020. But it's up from a historic low. Crime was higher during 95% of Bill's life. He brushes this off, saying "who cares I'm living now". I don't know, maybe some perspective would be nice.

If more cops magically solved crime, there would be zero crime in the United States. We put more of our population in prison than Communist China. The NYC Police Department alone has more men under arms than the Ukrainian Military. They spend more per year than most national militaries.

Bill admits "there are socioeconomic issues that cause crime" but then immediately brushes it off. But, we've tried having the highest prison population in the world. That hasn't worked to Bill's liking. My take on the crime issue is:

E0EfPMdXsAAdPyd.jpg:large

Bill also brings up that same story from last year with the homeless San Francisco guy shoplifting like $50 worth of shit from Walgreens. There were thousands of stories written about this. But that guy has been in jail ever since. Meanwhile a few months later Walgreens was charged for stealing millions of dollars from their employees. Zero news stories about it. No one got cuffed.

florduh

I think this is what the kids call "a red flag"

FTS3e63WAAErcqR

I remember when I was in High School, 20 years ago, having a conversation with my grandmother. She was confused why "being gay" was such a big thing now. "When I was coming up, nobody was gay. Now you hear about it all the time. Seems like they're turning kids gay!" I replied "Grandma... your favorite movie is Singing in the Rain. Every man in that movie was a homosexual. They just couldn't be open about it."

CANtalk

Bill Maher touched one of society's third rails last night, getting into the news and attracting the far right as well as far left. Unsurprisingly this resulted in freak outs and spin using no context click baiting sound bytes. The US is very polarized. His commentary is a relatively nuanced take on a societal grey area and he brings data. Anyway, the whole point was to generate discussion and by that measure it's been a big success. Lots of views and comments on YT, the Twitter mob, etc.

"the dick saw"... lol. It was quite the show last night.

He had Mark Esper on for the first interview.

And here's another segment. The US is a very target rich environment for political comedy commentary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom