Best Option for a lightweight/low tolerance user?

LesPlenty

Company Rep
A Vleaf go sounds like a good portable option, just a bit expensive to post to me. I use my WoodScents the most when at home and have only ever sold 1 vape as I believed it was not much good for the price...a Mighty...

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Also, for nights were I'm just chilling--e.g. earlier--would this set up allow me to load a bigger bowl and just sip on it occasionally while playing games online with friends or what have you, or would a log still be best used to clear entire smaller bowls? It seems that one of the big strengths of logs is being able to efficiently pull vape from microdoses, but it would be awesome if I could still pack a larger bowl and take a few hits off of it over a longer period of time.

Ed's seems like it could be a good choice with the option to take the Dyna out and about with you. You could also get an induction heater for the dyna so you dont have to worry about a torch when you're out doing activities. Not entirely familiar with either, vapcaps don't really do it for me and I went with underdog instead of Ed's, but to answer this, yes and no.

Never used Ed's but as far as I know all logs are pretty similar. It's sort of a weird concept that I didn't fully grasp until I actually got mine.

The way I use mine, I have it plugged in basically 24/7 in my bedroom. I have a couple different sized stems, with the smallest having about enough capacity for a pinky-nail sized load of flower. I leave my ground flower accessible in a drawer right next to it along with my stems, and it goes like this - doing whatever in the other room, get the itch for a hit, walk into the bedroom, grab a stem and my ground flower, use the stem like a straw and suck the flower up. Then I put the stem in my mouth (think pipe) and then bring the log up to the stem (think lighter).

Take a good pull, I usually get 2 from my smaller stems and 3 from my bigger stems. Blow the spent flower out, and you're done. Easily less than a minute for the whole process. I suppose you dont HAVE to finish the stem all at once, you easily could come back to it in 20/30 minutes if its still got something to give, but the load sizes are small enough and more importantly, super fast to reload, you may as well finish them in one go.

Gaming online for example, I'll do that all the time between rounds. Game ends, put the controller down, go into the other room and do a quick stem and get back with time to spare.

I would imagine Ed's would be similar

ginolicious

Definitely on demand convection is what you want. Have a hit and put it down for hours. Come back and it’s still fresh.

log vapes are pretty darn good for that. I don’t own one. Something about leaving something on for a while I don’t like. They aren’t too instant if it has not heated up.

Firefly 2+ does it for me. Heat up in 3 seconds. Nice clouds. Excellent flavour. Can legit have a hit or two and then have more hits a day later. Or you can sit there having hit after hit.

Highasthehills

Even though I have smoked for 45 years, like you, my lungs are light weights when comes to smoke. Any joint or combustion makes me cough. Even big hits on vapes make me cough. For home use, have Vapexhale Evo. Love it. For travel, Firefly 2. My travel is usually 2-3 days camping trips into mountains, driving on rocky rabbit trails. The Firefly 2 is solid enough to take all the abuse I can give it, plus the battery is large enough to last for 3 day trip, then some. Can get them used for around $120 on ebay, so they don't bust budget either.

Highasthehills,

hinglemccringleberry

Definitely on demand convection is what you want. Have a hit and put it down for hours. Come back and it’s still fresh.

log vapes are pretty darn good for that. I don’t own one. Something about leaving something on for a while I don’t like. They aren’t too instant if it has not heated up.

Firefly 2+ does it for me. Heat up in 3 seconds. Nice clouds. Excellent flavour. Can legit have a hit or two and then have more hits a day later. Or you can sit there having hit after hit.
Ditto on this, but for me it's the Milaana 3, which I am in a forever-honeymoon phase with. It's so versatile and fulfilling. The OP may not be interested in a fully manual unregulated vape, but he should at least look into it.

Last edited:

Highasthehills

Forgot to mention something. gordantreeman you said you were in Non-recreational state. When you travel and want to smoke, are you going to be around strangers you don't know? Like maybe a stranger that could bust you if they smell weed? If yes, then you need the smallest, most stealth vaporizer you can get, and smoke only no terp concentrate. That way odor will be smallest possible. And don't kid yourself. Just because you may like smell of primo flower and may not notice it after smoke clears....the odor clings to you and non-smokers can still smell an hour or so after you took your last puff. No terp concentrate also has a smell, but it lingers for less time and most non-smokers would still have problem deciding what the smell it. Most non-smokers by now have smelled and can id the smell of flower. Safety 1st

Highasthehills,

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Forgot to mention something. gordantreeman you said you were in Non-recreational state. When you travel and want to smoke, are you going to be around strangers you don't know? Like maybe a stranger that could bust you if they smell weed? If yes, then you need the smallest, most stealth vaporizer you can get, and smoke only no terp concentrate. That way odor will be smallest possible. And don't kid yourself. Just because you may like smell of primo flower and may not notice it after smoke clears....the odor clings to you and non-smokers can still smell an hour or so after you took your last puff. No terp concentrate also has a smell, but it lingers for less time and most non-smokers would still have problem deciding what the smell it. Most non-smokers by now have smelled and can id the smell of flower. Safety 1st
I'm not too concerned about this, but its a valid point and I appreciate the concern. I grew up here, and when I was younger friends and I would always travel with joints and such and never had any problems. I gather that most police (save in some very backwards small towns) only really care if you've got enough to be selling anyway, the state senate and house just haven't gotten on board legal rec products. Even for medical purposes its a very well defined list of what qualifies and I believe only oil based products can be used.

From feedback in the thread, I'm REALLY digging the looks of the Woodscent. Reading the thread here and searching reviews, it seems to be a very capable desktop unit capable of microdosing with very small loads (and easy to reload if I want to continue/can't pack enough to just sip on it over an extended period of time, but perhaps the straight glass stem would facilitate this) that could accomodate large rips should my tolerance grow. While a lot of people don't like the DynaVap as a daily driver it seems most everyone agrees that its a more than capable little portable unit. The only niggle I'm curious about is that the stem included with the WS doesn't include a carb--I'm not sure if that will negatively impact it as a portable if any DV users care to weigh in?

It seems to be out of stock everywhere save PuffItUp. As near I can tell from reddit they're a reputable dealer, I was just hoping to hear back from Ed of Ed's TNT to verify they're an official distributor (so that the warranty will be honored should something go awry) and that it includes the same accessories he does. I think the only thing they don't call out on their site are the screens which is a small point, but it would be a drag to have to order them separately and pay for shipping. Very stoked to place an order, and again very appreciative of folks pointing out a style of vape I had never even heard of that seems to match my needs well. Its a huge bonus to me that its an artisan made piece as opposed to something mass produced. I'm sure the mass produced options are more than capable, its just neat to have something a little more unique and personal. Down the road I can't wait to look into some glass options to add water cooling to the mix, but I figure I'll just start with the glass stem/DV stem to get a feel for the WS first.

Edit: to the legality point, usually when I'm smoking on the go I'm hiking/snowshoeing/skiing someplace in relative solitude, or can take a hit on the chair lift or off by some trees. The only conceivable crowds would be at a show or something, but then from past experience no one cares, and it isn't an option with covid anyway.

gordontreeman,
Reactions: Vaporware

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I'm not too concerned about this, but its a valid point and I appreciate the concern. I grew up here, and when I was younger friends and I would always travel with joints and such and never had any problems. I gather that most police (save in some very backwards small towns) only really care if you've got enough to be selling anyway, the state senate and house just haven't gotten on board legal rec products. Even for medical purposes its a very well defined list of what qualifies and I believe only oil based products can be used.

From feedback in the thread, I'm REALLY digging the looks of the Woodscent. Reading the thread here and searching reviews, it seems to be a very capable desktop unit capable of microdosing with very small loads (and easy to reload if I want to continue/can't pack enough to just sip on it over an extended period of time, but perhaps the straight glass stem would facilitate this) that could accomodate large rips should my tolerance grow. While a lot of people don't like the DynaVap as a daily driver it seems most everyone agrees that its a more than capable little portable unit. The only niggle I'm curious about is that the stem included with the WS doesn't include a carb--I'm not sure if that will negatively impact it as a portable if any DV users care to weigh in?

It seems to be out of stock everywhere save PuffItUp. As near I can tell from reddit they're a reputable dealer, I was just hoping to hear back from Ed of Ed's TNT to verify they're an official distributor (so that the warranty will be honored should something go awry) and that it includes the same accessories he does. I think the only thing they don't call out on their site are the screens which is a small point, but it would be a drag to have to order them separately and pay for shipping. Very stoked to place an order, and again very appreciative of folks pointing out a style of vape I had never even heard of that seems to match my needs well. Its a huge bonus to me that its an artisan made piece as opposed to something mass produced. I'm sure the mass produced options are more than capable, its just neat to have something a little more unique and personal. Down the road I can't wait to look into some glass options to add water cooling to the mix, but I figure I'll just start with the glass stem/DV stem to get a feel for the WS first.

Edit: to the legality point, usually when I'm smoking on the go I'm hiking/snowshoeing/skiing someplace in relative solitude, or can take a hit on the chair lift or off by some trees. The only conceivable crowds would be at a show or something, but then from past experience no one cares, and it isn't an option with covid anyway.

Puff it up is a well-known fantastic distributor, yes they are official yes warranties will be honored yes it will come with screens, and probably other extras... Shipping will be very fast as well!

gordontreeman

Cool, thanks @Shit Snacks! They weren’t able to confirm when I chatted with them earlier, but I’m guessing it almost has to have the upgraded heater at this point? I think it changed in 2019. Not planning to jump into a vvps right off the bat as this is all new to me. I’ve read the newer heater potentially makes that unnecessary as it runs at a higher voltage.

gordontreeman,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Cool, thanks @Shit Snacks! They weren’t able to confirm when I chatted with them earlier, but I’m guessing it almost has to have the upgraded heater at this point? I think it changed in 2019. Not planning to jump into a vvps right off the bat as this is all new to me. I’ve read the newer heater potentially makes that unnecessary as it runs at a higher voltage.

I would presume that puff it up did not even start carrying it until the most recent model version, either way they will take care of you, really good care of you as well, perhaps even faster than the great Ed could! I don't know much about the wood scents, but a VVPS often feels like a must with a log, I remember underdog did not need them and I know heat islands does not, with my VVPS and heat islands I do tend to settle in at one voltage most often so I think the simplicity of just plugging it in and going, adjusting your technique and packing style etc to match the power... Is pretty nice!

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: LesPlenty

gordontreeman

@Shit Snacks yeah from what I gathered reading the WS thread in the desktops section when you want to consistently nail temps the vvps is easier than the dimmer switch style ps that comes stock with the ws. Down the road it might be something I snag. I just figure for a newbie being a little less precise will be fine.

Regardless, thanks! Just placed my order. Thanks @BrianTL and many others for turning me into logs, @curiouscat for pointing out the WS, and everyone else for your suggestions!

gordontreeman

Later down the track, US$15 (or less if you look around),
Variable Volt AC/DC Power Supply Adapter Adjustable 3-12V 3-24V 9-24V W/ Display | eBay
2 months delivery should cover it or get from Ed in a week
Dang, that’s a lot cheaper and maybe something to look into. I’m not a big fan of plugging my new $300 vape into an unknown Chinese psu, but it looks identical to the one on Ed’s site, minus the custom logo. Is there a rough guide on what voltage corresponds to what temperature like there is @ https://edstnt.com/pages/woodscents-use-and-care for the dimmer switch? I’m planning to start at lower temps and see what I enjoy.

gordontreeman,

Highasthehills

Woodscent looks nice, but it is plug in only unit, not a portable unit. Thought you were looking for a portable vape. The general design is popular. Have an e-nano at home that works exactly the same way, but uses glass instead of titanium and sell for around $100 less. Personally think titanium is just marketing gimmick. Any good stainless steel would be just as stable and work just as well at temps vaporizer uses. Have an old titanium pipe that was one of 1st titanium pieces sold to smokers. Did not like it, gives smoke a metal taste.
If you have already purchased the Woodscent, hope you are happy with it as home piece. Sometime you will want to start looking again for a portable, battery powered vape for travel. Peace.

Highasthehills,

gordontreeman

@Highasthehills One of the stem options for the WS is a DV titanium tip + condenser housed in a matching wooden stem, and it includes a VapCap. The plan is to just pull that out for on the go use! I don't expect it will hit as nicely as the WS, but it should serve for a discrete & easily pocketable portable.

No comment on ti being marketing gimmick or not, but it also includes an all glass stem and WPA for the all glass experience and eventual addition of water cooling. Its $100 more, but it checked all the boxes for me--a good portable option, excellent OND convection option for home use, and has some bits I can grow into (the WPAs).

Highasthehills

Think we have a different understand of what portable means my friend. To me, portable means it is battery powered and can be used anywhere. A desktop vape needs 110VAC plug to work. Example: The e-nano can fit inside my fist or pocket, but it needs 110VAC household power to work, so to me, it is a desktop vape and not portable, even tho is is very small. Looking at WS on other websites, do not see any battery option. on Website https://www.longwoodherbal.org/woodscents-vaporizer/ Beginning sentence they call the Woodscent a desktop, vape log. That is were I am coming from. WS does look like nice vape. Got my e-nano for $100 on craigslist. One thing that hooked me on e-nano is you can send in your own wood to them and they will make it into e-nano log for you. Plan to send in block of desert ironwood to e-nano in future.
Best of luck and wishes to you!!!

Highasthehills,

gordontreeman

@Highasthehills i agree that a plug in desktop unit isn’t portable even if it’s pocketable. However, one of the stems on the WS is a custom Dynavap (have a look if you’re not familiar). For on the go I’ll bring those pieces and a small butane lighter.

I looked a bit at the e-nano and UD log offerings as well, but having a built in portable option ultimately sold me on the WS. Cheers!

gordontreeman

WS is a great option. Hope you enjoy it. I could never afford one.
Thanks! I’ve been fortunate throughout the pandemic. I work a job that was able to transition to remote pretty easily, so I haven’t felt the squeeze that a lot of folks have—I feel for them and recognize that I’m in a fortunate spot to be able to drop that kind of cash on an herbal vaporizer during all of this.

At the risk of sounding like a salesperson, the WS on paper seems like a good deal to me. Sneaky Pete’s sells a lite kid for ~$235 if you already have a dynavap or other compatible stems and WPAs. If you don’t have any of that, the full set seemed like a good value proposition—it’s $300 for a domestic wood finish, but an enano and cheapest DV is $275, so an extra $25 for the all glass options/ability to add water down the road seemed like a good deal to me.

gordontreeman,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I’m not a big fan of plugging my new $300 vape into an unknown Chinese psu, but it looks identical to the one on Ed’s site,
They are the same as Ed's...less the sticker and the Chinese ones can go lower in volts compared to eds first batch (he just got the cheaper version than the one I put him onto, about$2 less :disgust: )
My WS can be powered from my Makita heated jacket so even the whole unit can be portable but the Dynavap tip alone is a lot more sensible.
I use this VVPS to run my WS off portable power tool batteries (18v) and a car battery when camping...even a jump starter pack that had a 19v outlet for charging a computer has been used by me successfully.
5V 2A LCD Mini DC Power Supply USB Step Down Converter 24V To 1-20V Adjustable | eBay
I use this as my main power supply at home too as it has a fine tune wheel that is better for tiny adjustments.
That enano 110v power chord looks very unweilding compared to a WS, watch some reviews where most people try to hide it.
Ti is a good heater housing for the WS as it matches most of the stem bowls avail for it.

Summer

Long Island, NY
@gordantreeman, just for the heck of it, take a look at stickstones stream yesterday concerning the tafee bowlee. Sticks owns Planet of the Vapes in Cali. Like Sneakypete & the puffitup guys, he is extremely knowledgeable. I think this fits your micro dosing needs perfectly. It's expensive & odd looking (forget the drinking cup as you won't need it outdoors). This with a Dynavap M + lighter for when the battery dies in the TB will cover you well. You can probably pick up an older M for cheap on reddit. And down the road you can also go with a portable induction heater. Check out the Fluxer IH thread for his ultra portable Flite IH. The good stuff never comes cheap.

The TB is discussed at 14:30, then 56:53.

Top Bottom