Best Option for a lightweight/low tolerance user?

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Hello all,

Due to the pandemic, I recently relocated to a state that isn't rec friendly, so I'm looking to purchase my first herb vaporizer. I've been looking at reviews here, on reddit, and that I'm finding on youtube, but something that is making it difficult for me to gauge is that most people seem to focus on some variant of "big rips" (e.g. inability to clear a bowl in a single hit is a detriment).

These days my tolerance is pretty low, so I'm coming at this from a different perspective. For some context, I've mostly been using a cartridge based vape pen from when I was in a legal state. Typically I'll take a small sip on that and see where it gets me--if I'm feeling good and want to go for it I can then take some more hits, or just set it aside if I'm not feeling it.

This experience has me thinking that I would probably enjoy some variant of on demand vaporizer as opposed to a session based vaporizer (though possibly a dosing capsule would change this calculation--I'm open to feedback if I've got this all wrong). It also seems like having a temp range would be good as lower temps seem to be a little gentler. Because I'd like to start with a single vape, I'm eyeing portables so that I can take them on the go and use it at home (potentially with some water attachments, though right now I don't own any paraphernalia save an old space case grinder). Pocketability isn't important as I'm happy to toss it in a bag when hiking, camping, or what have you, and perhaps down the road I'd be more inclined to consider a desktop device as it seems like they tend to trounce even the nicest portables in terms of performance--I know I tried a friends volcano and absolutely loved the taste and gentleness of the vapor on the throat, as well as the ability to just set the bag to the side.

From my research, here are a few options I've found. I'm mostly just looking for feedback to help me hone in on the vape that would best fit my needs from people who have tried hopefully more than one of these. My budget is pretty much wide open--though everyone loves to spend less, I generally take a "buy once, cry once" approach to larger purchases unless there's a huge diminishing returns curve (e.g. if a $100 vape gets you 80% of the performance of a $300 piece I'd consider starting at that lower end). I'd prefer it to be easy to use, but I'm not against a bit of a learning curve, especially if it yields a superior product (e.g. I happily bust out my grinder, whole coffee beans, pour over device, gooseneck kettle, and gram scale to make my morning pourover coffees--I'm sure holding a lighter further away or inhaling at such and such speed is something I can learn).

DynaVap 2020M: price is obviously great, has a pretty solid reputation though lots of reviews focus on clearing a bowl in a single hit, and it sounds like its easy to add water pipes and such
VLeaf Go saw this suggested on reddit, seems like a decent option though it seems like at this price point most prefer the DynaVap. Battery life seems to be a let down, but this isn't a huge concern as if I'm doing something where it really matters--camping for a few days--I could always bring some rolling papers as a back up option

Firefly 2+: Originally given the tolerance concerns I thought this would be my best bet due to the adjustable temps and on demand nature of it, but it sounds awful finnicky and at its price point I get the sense that there are maybe better options? It has a lot of critics on reddit, at least
Firewood7: this looks absolutely beautiful, seems to cover most of what I'd want with optional WP attachments, on demand, and adjustable temps. Pricey but something I'd splurge on if worthwhile. Reviews SEEM to suggest that they hybrid nature of it makes it less finicky than the FF 2+
RBT Milaana: Honestly don't know a ton about this one, save that the reviews I've seen dug it
TinyMight: When looking into FW7 reviews, this comes up an awful lot as a very similar product albeit with no conduction/potential QC issues (maybe overblown as happy owners don't necessarily spam forums to point out how happy they are). Otherwise I can't say I'm too familiar
Tafee Bowle: Seems to be pretty new, but initial reviews look promising. Again, not something I'm terribly familiar with. It just came up when looking into the dedicated FW7 thread here trying to discern if its my best bet/significantly nicer than e.g. a DynaVap or any of these other options

Apologies that this is a bit of a wall of text. I wanted to give as much info as possible so experienced vape users can give good feedback. Let me know if there's anything I can add or clarify!

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
I think you're right in that an on-demand device of some sort is going to be the best choice for you over a session style device...whenever I see low-tolerance user I always think micro-dose, which makes me think log vape. I know you said you don't want a plug in yet, but perhaps something to re consider.

One of my friends has a very low tolerance and he tried my underdog and said this would be the vape to get him to switch from combustion. Granted he hasn't actually ordered one yet so who knows... I personally love the underdog and think everybody should have one though lol.

Other than that out of what you suggested, the Firewood, Tinymight and Tafee are also probably great options. Havent tried the taffee but everybody who has seems to love it. While these 3 have the ability to take monster rips if you wanted it to, they dont have to. They can easily be used for smaller hits.

If you were curious about some of the butane vapes with a learning curve I also have a lot of fun with my sticky brick. Realistically, not the BEST option for small hits though. Something about them is just conducive to big, tasty hits.

curiouscat

+1 for the log vape recommendation. However, I would personally recommend the Woodscents Aromalog. Not only does it perform great, but it includes a whole Dynavap itself so you'd be sorted in terms of having a solid desktop to use at home and a great portable vape when you're out and about.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I'd wholeheartedly recommend the Tafee Bowle.

Keep it on a low setting, super easy to operate and maintain, and performance won't suffer if you are not a regular cleaner.

Your low usage means you will never have issues with the small battery, and there are few other devices that offer this high quality of vapor and ease of use for a beginner.... lots of heavy users are using this device, but it really was designed to provide an excellent user experience and an un-intimidating device for new users.

Last edited:

ray_

Summarizing what I think you want:
- Small capacity to match your tolerance
- Inexpensive
- Minimal learning curve
- Easy maintenance

From my own experience with vapes the best matches would be:

Dynavap. Ticks all the boxes except for the minimal learning curve. If you use an induction heater you then have a minimal learnign curve with an added expense.

Arizer Solo 2. Ticks all the boxes.

This opinion has to be biased for me as I haven't even seen some of the other vapes you mentioened. But both these would do well for you.

maremaresing

Definitely a log vape like the enano. It can scale up to higher tolerance needs in the future, too. TBH I'd also look at something like the Vapexhale Cloud EVO Helio Kit. It is a heavy hitter vape that also performs great on super microdose loads. I've switched to it from the enano and am very happy with it.

For portable use, I'm very fond of the dynavap. You might appreciate something battery powered for more stealth in your case. For that, people like the davinci miqro. And, you know, the MFLB is a great microdoser and stealthy portable.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Last edited:

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
Log vape seems ideal, or get a stem based on demand vape. Dynavaps are cool too but I’m just not that guy to consider it a daily driver.

iDRINKBLEACH,
Reactions: BrianTL
The Woodscents is my go-to for small loads. I haven’t found anything better for microdosing .05g or less. Other vapes in my lineup will work with these amounts, but it won’t be as satisfying to me.

rush

- Inexpensive
- Minimal learning curve
- Easy maintenance

From my own experience with vapes the best matches would be:

Dynavap. Ticks all the boxes except for the minimal learning curve. If you use an induction heater you then have a minimal learnign curve with an added expense.

Arizer Solo 2. Ticks all the boxes.

This opinion has to be biased for me as I haven't even seen some of the other vapes you mentioened. But both these would do well for you.
One thing about the Dyna is that it's not really designed for small sips. You'd pretty much spend the bowl by taking small sips and waiting for the effects. I also think an Arizer Solo 1/2 could be a good choice, they are session based but don't really cook the stuff too much unless you inhale. The Arizer Go too, it's more affordable and hits really nice for its size, if you're mainly looking to vape small doses it should not be overlooked. A log is probably your best option still, only suggesting more ideas as I don't actually have one :)

rush,

Philabrookla

@philabrookla

Keep it on a low setting, super easy to operate and maintain, and performance won't suffer if you are not a regular cleaner.

Your low usage means you will never have issues with the small battery, and there are few other devices that offer this high quality of vapor and ease of use for a beginner.... lots of heavy users are using this device, but it really was designed to provide an excellent user experience and an un-intimidating device for new users.
Totally, I was going to recommend an Elev8r & a torch because they like pour-over coffee, but Tafee Bowle, the Nespresso of vapes, is perfect for someone with an open budget who is new to vaping.

Philabrookla,

johnnyCanuck

THIS RIGHT HERE!!! Keep the temp on 1 or 2 and battery life shouldn’t be an issue for you if you’re a light user.

gordontreeman

Thanks for the comments everyone. I’ll have to do some looking at log vapes (and write a more detailed response) when I’m at my computer.

A big part of the reason I’m primarily looking at portable options is that aside from the low tolerance, I’m more likely to use it on the go. I only smoke a handful of times at home—once, maybe twice a week. But I almost always take my stiiizy along when I’m hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, or what have you. The woodscents with a dynavap that @curiouscat pointed out seems a compelling option, but my sense from reading is that for someone who likes to take a sip and then come back to the bowl later dynavaps might not be ideal—this was what got me looking at the FW7 and TM. As @rush alluded to, most of the reading I’ve done suggests that you almost inevitably end up clearing the bowl. Maybe that isn’t the case or wouldn’t matter if it’s a 2020m—the screen adjustment let’s it go down to 0.05g IIRC.

hinglemccringleberry

How about a Fury Edge? It's not on demand but it heats up so quick that it can sort of be used that way. If you can get past that aspect of it, it seems like it would meet many of your requirements. It can be sipped or ripped.

hinglemccringleberry,

gordontreeman

Totally, I was going to recommend an Elev8r & a torch because they like pour-over coffee, but Tafee Bowle, the Nespresso of vapes, is perfect for someone with an open budget who is new to vaping.

I love me some pourovers out of a V60 in the morning, but its not something I bring camping. An Aeropress fits the bill nicely there =) (or instant/cowboy coffee if I'm doing a serious backpacking trip and want to keep the weight down). The Bowle seems well reviewed in the megathread, so I'll take a look. The battery life being low isn't ideal if I were to take it camping, but I guess there is always bringing rolling papers in a pinch, or just grabbing a dynavap. Do you know how it compares to some of the other more premium portables (TM, FW7, et cet)?

gordontreeman,

gordontreeman

- Inexpensive
- Minimal learning curve
- Easy maintenance
Sort of:
I don't mind larger capacity if I can take a small hit/sip and come back to it. Again, this is what got me interested in the FW7/TM.
- Inexpensive
While cool, I'll happily splurge if its a nice product that justifies the price. I would prefer to stay <= $350 though.
- Minimal learning curve
Nah the opposite of this. The pour over coffee analogy was that I'm happy to go through a learning curve if e.g. something like the Firefly 2+ is worth doing it for.
- Easy maintenance
Hadn't even considered this aspect. I guess if it goes beyond soaking in isopropyl alcohol its something I'd have to think about. Something like monthly application of a wood protector (just something I've seen with sticky bricks products) isn't too bad either, but if its a hard core disassembly/reassembly and a need to do some intensive scrubbing that might bum me out.

gordontreeman,

Farid

A Dynavap or a log can pack as little bud as you'd like, you don't need to fill the chamber. I pack ~.02g one hits, and they both work well, killing it in one hit.

I prefer to pack fresh microdoses versus packing a full bowl and sipping. This eliminates any flavor degradation.

Shadooz

I prefer to pack fresh microdoses versus packing a full bowl and sipping. This eliminates any flavor degradation.
To have enough vapor density and enough taste (even degrading, full convection keep it tastier for longer), sipping 0.1 will be better than one hit 0.02

Farid

With the logs and Dynavap I find that no matter how much I pack I kill it in one or two hits. Of course more bud will mean more vapor density, but I don't care about that anymore. All I care about is the bud being fully vaped which it is.

Farid,

gordontreeman

Thanks for the suggestions all. I had a bit of a chance to look at log options--hadn't even heard of it before posting this, and that might be a compelling option. I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly:

The e-nano looks like a nice unit, but as having a portable option is pretty important, the WoodScents Aromalog seems like it might fit the bill. Googling it seems to only be available from Ed's TNT (presumably the maker?) and in a light variant at Sneaky Pete's. I can shoot them booth an e-mail to see if/when it will be back in stock. Am I understanding correctly that both sets would have a fully functional dynavap for portable use, and that at home I'd just ditch the clicking cap and use the rest of the dynavap--the log unit for heat, the tip to load, and condenser and stem to take hits from? And then if I got the full set form Ed I'd have some attachments to facilitate connecting to a water pipe (I don't have any atm, so it would be a down the road thing or perhaps a compelling reason to start with the Lite set)? Also seems like the Woodscents Dynavap stem would be missing a carb, but presumably I could just pick one up if I wanted that on the go?

Also, for nights were I'm just chilling--e.g. earlier--would this set up allow me to load a bigger bowl and just sip on it occasionally while playing games online with friends or what have you, or would a log still be best used to clear entire smaller bowls? It seems that one of the big strengths of logs is being able to efficiently pull vape from microdoses, but it would be awesome if I could still pack a larger bowl and take a few hits off of it over a longer period of time.

Apologies for all the questions. Just trying to make an informed decision. Appreciate the log call outs--as I said, I had never even heard of them before.

gordontreeman,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Shadooz

@Farid I succeeded to stretch 0.1gr in 5 separate heat with a crafty. Now, with an herborizer , it's more 3/4 depending on how low i start. The temp controlled device handle low temp better. Which is harder to maintain with a vapcap, but i thought the log could handle it like an herbo.. never try one of them

Shadooz,

ray_

Sort of:
I don't mind larger capacity if I can take a small hit/sip and come back to it. Again, this is what got me interested in the FW7/TM.
- Inexpensive
While cool, I'll happily splurge if its a nice product that justifies the price. I would prefer to stay <= $350 though.
- Minimal learning curve
Nah the opposite of this. The pour over coffee analogy was that I'm happy to go through a learning curve if e.g. something like the Firefly 2+ is worth doing it for.
- Easy maintenance
Hadn't even considered this aspect. I guess if it goes beyond soaking in isopropyl alcohol its something I'd have to think about. Something like monthly application of a wood protector (just something I've seen with sticky bricks products) isn't too bad either, but if its a hard core disassembly/reassembly and a need to do some intensive scrubbing that might bum me out.
Then i've reconsidered my answer since all my assumptions were wrong or not relevant. You just want something you can take a hit off of and return to later, due to low tolerance that you'd like to keep low. Portability is important. Pocketability isn't. You want to be able to set the temperature to keep it low and consistent. Cost isn't important.

The Mighty fits this pretty well. Though considered a session vape, there is no reason it can't be used like you want. I've had one for about a month. I noticed that for me the first hit was always the best. It was the most robust, flavorful hit, but still completely cool. So for the last week I've been taking one hit and setting it down for an hour or so and continuing like that. One dosing capsule (0.15 grams?) will last me the whole evening this way.

This is a bit of an oddball answer, recommending a Mighty for someone with a low tolerance, but my tolerance is on the low side and I like the Mighty for being dead simple to use, having precise temperature control, delivering smooth, unrestrcted, robust, cool vapor every time with no special techniques to master.

ray_,
Reactions: rush
Top Bottom