Best dry herb vaporiser for mouth to lung vaping? Ideally with an intake hole that can be covered?

Hi - I'm new here. I've been a spliff smoker for many years and I'd like to get away from combustion.

I've tried dry herb vaporisers years ago and didn't really get on with them. I really don't like the direct inhale style of smoking/vaping, I much prefer mouth to lung - I take a big pull and fill my mouth with smoke/vapour, then 'take it back' into my lungs. Even when I stopped smoking weed and tobacco for a year and switched to nicotine vapes, I always stuck with the smaller pen style vapes as I always preferred MTL over direct lung inhale.

I recently picked up a Dynavap M and I'm really liking it. I can cover up the airholes until right at the end each draw, and get a nice mouth of full vapour and then take it back, just like I'd smoke a spliff.

My issue with the Dynavap is it doesn't hold much weed and it's fiddly heating it up to correct temp manually with a lighter each time then waiting for it to cool. I want something I can just fill up and puff on for a while, just taking the occasional big puff every few minutes. Is that feasible? I don't mind spending a bit of cash.

It seems like all the higher end dry herb vaporisers are the direct lung inhale style with big fat chunky mouthpieces and a very open airflow. I don't want that. I want a tight draw.

Is there something more substantial like the mighty/firefly that has an intake hole that can be covered up like the dynavap?

Cheers!

passenger

is this thing on?
Don't know the IQ2 but the Dynavap lineup is perfect for what you seek (and you already found it to work great). Just take it to the next level:

- Research which induction heater suits you best to eliminate the lighter heating you don't like

- Consider a Nonavong/Hydravong Dynavap to use with a small bubbler without water (in the right size you can fill it up with vapor and inhale it in one go)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
They said they wanted a larger bowl, the IQ2 can load three times as much as vapcap or more? And it has an adjustable air dial on the bottom with five different levels of draw restriction... It is a session style so you just load and go, it even has smart path temp stepping so you don't need to touch anything potentially, and it is only one piece instead of having a vap cap with an induction heater, I really don't see how that solves the OP's problem at all lol Yeah they like the DynaVap but they are looking for something different, like mighty/FF style build, session conduction is the obvious answer for them to me, and in my opinion the DaVinci IQ2 is basically the best one available...

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I agree wholeheartedly with @Shit Snacks and @Bazinga - the IQ2 solves every point @__Life_On_Mars__ asked for:
- Bigger bowl
- Tighter draw - definitely conducive to mouth-to-lung draws with ability to adjust airflow a little bit.
- Using the smart paths with the 8 minute session and sipping slowly is a treat - flavor is fantastic.
There are drawbacks to using the IQ2, but if you go to the thread, you can check all the pros and cons (or happy to discuss here if you want)

I am also going to throw out an OG for mouth to lung with a decent sized bowl - the MFLB may be a good one to look at as well.

Good luck with your search, let us know how it goes!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
this part sounds like you actually want an on demand vape:

I want something I can just fill up and puff on for a while, just taking the occasional big puff every few minutes. Is that feasible?

Big puff every few minutes makes me think desktop whip vape, maybe a log. Though you're really more convection based at that point. Maybe a whip vape with a thin diameter tube to suggest more MTL pulling?

Firewood7 is probably the standout right now for on demand conduction centric heating if you can get your hands on one. Induction heater for your Dyna could be fun also, but will require more reloading.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Totally if battery powered (near instant) on demand hits are preferable, the FW7 is the only answer for conduction (with some hybrid convection) and one of my favorite vapes ever! It does not have airflow adjustment, or carb holes, though it can be controlled in other ways? Pack and Stems

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I've tried dry herb vaporisers years ago and didn't really get on with them. I really don't like the direct inhale style of smoking/vaping, I much prefer mouth to lung - I take a big pull and fill my mouth with smoke/vapour, then 'take it back' into my lungs. Even when I stopped smoking weed and tobacco for a year and switched to nicotine vapes, I always stuck with the smaller pen style vapes as I always preferred MTL over direct lung inhale.
First let me compliment your screen name choice👏 👏

No offense but there's a chance you're wrong to express a strong preference for MTL vapes.

Hear me out: if you're still smoking and only dabbled with vapes a few years ago then you maybe don't know enough to dismiss most of the vapes in existence.

"Take a big pull and fill my mouth" is a peculiar way to size a hit since your lungs hold so much more air/vapor. More likely you're used to smoke, which is more toxic and irritating, and just have habits based on what works for smoking.

And honestly it makes sense that a smoker would be unaccustomed to just inhaling through a vape stem as if you were snorkeling. I'm not trying to criticize you at all.

There are a bunch of first rate options for both conduction and convection portables, not to mention a host of desktops. Almost none of the best ones existed three years ago and none of those would be biased toward MTL because it would hobble their performance. It would be like erecting a vapor toll booth to stop each mouth worth of vapor as you inch toward full lungs.

Sorry if I sound preachy: it's just part of the charm of vapor that it isn't gross so you're free to inhale

lisifi

I hear you,
letting the smoke/vapor roll about first, and then taking it in - all in your own time
Om-nom-nom; pair that with a slow sipper drink & you're golden;

Yea MTL ... only works on a few vapes i'm afraid;
Davinci IQ(c), MFLB, Vapman, Vaponic & Firewood7 are the first ones that come to mind. (conduction works best for MTL)
Those are the only vapes that will allow you to pull a mouthfull of thick white vapor :cool: (don't reread that last)

MFLB & Firewood7 will be your only battery-powered on-demand conduction vapes that support MTL
IQ would be your battery-powered session condution vape that supports MTL
Vapman & Vaponic are butane-powered vapes that support MTL (althou the Vapman has a "Station")

For me, the IQ would be closest to mimicking my old smoking-ritual/habits (session style);
that one allows like you asked, to pull every minute or so, big thick hit - Ofc, you'll have to let it "build up" a bit (30s) inbetween;

Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated.

Regarding the IQ2 - it does seem to have a lot of the features I'm looking for, but I've heard it's a massive PITA to clean, and a bit temperamental to use. Any owners who can weigh in on this?

I've also had the Ariser solo2 recommended on another forum, but when I look up others have gone from a dynavap to the solo2 they say it just doesn't compete for vapour production and strength of hit?

I should say, it doesn't need to be a portable. If there's a desktop model that fits my needs then feel free to suggest it.

No offense but there's a chance you're wrong to express a strong preference for MTL vapes.

None taken! However I've tried both nic vapes and weed vapes MTL vs DL. It is possible to get a nice DL hit off the dynavap by the just leaving the airholes open and pulling straight back into the lungs. It's a less satisfying experience.

Sorry if I sound preachy: it's just part of the charm of vapor that it isn't disgusting so you're free to inhale

Not at all, I'm looking for advice. The thing is, I get MORE flavour with MTL. Much more. I like to feel the fresh vapour in my mouth, roll it around my sinuses and really taste it, before pulling it back into my lungs and getting that second 'aftertaste' on the exhale. I find I can get BIGGER more satisfying hits this way as DL vaping means you take in a lot more air with the vapour, where as MTL with a very tight restricted airflow is basically just pure vapour. DL vaping feels to me like swallowing a delicious meal without bothering to chew it, so you're missing most of the enjoyment from the experience.

With all that being said, I'm seeing SO much love the mighty and tiny might, I do have to wonder if I should rethink my approach and try and adjust to DL style vaping.

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
maybe something like a 510 battery? it's on demand, offers thick mouth pulls, as many and infrequent as you like.

Bad Dog,

chris 71

I was a big time joint smoker like 30 years . I also I prefer mtl pulls I have quite a few vapes and I love them all but for mouth to lung pulls the dynavape is king if you ask me . As someone eles mention 510s are good for this too .

Maybe you just need to spend more time with the dynavape and get you groove for it ? Just a suggestion but I think I know were your coming from and I have to say in my opinion the dyna rules for mouth to lung pulls I tape the holes on mine only way I use them 👍

Edit belive it or not the pax is good for mouth pulls too pack it tight and it has taht restriction that is good for mouth to lung pulls and a huge freaking bowl lol

Pulled the trigger last night and ordered a mighty. After more research and consideration, I like the idea of a good solid workhorse that's very easily to load and use, and just works.

I'm aware I might not be able to get MTL vapes from it but I'm going to aim to adjust.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll update and let you know how I get on.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I agree wholeheartedly with @Shit Snacks and @Bazinga - the IQ2 solves every point @__Life_On_Mars__ asked for:
- Bigger bowl
- Tighter draw - definitely conducive to mouth-to-lung draws with ability to adjust airflow a little bit.
- Using the smart paths with the 8 minute session and sipping slowly is a treat - flavor is fantastic.
There are drawbacks to using the IQ2, but if you go to the thread, you can check all the pros and cons (or happy to discuss here if you want)

I am also going to throw out an OG for mouth to lung with a decent sized bowl - the MFLB may be a good one to look at as well.

Good luck with your search, let us know how it goes!

The MFLB crossed my mind also.

Cannabiker

You won't be unhappy with the Mighty. It puts out enough vape to work MTL, though it really shines on long, direct pulls, and it's an excellent portable session vape.

Still, mine has been gathering dust since I picked up a Simrell Vortex and a Fluxer IH. I'm also a former joint smoker, and I never fully bonded with any portable until I picked up the Vortex. Austyn Simrell said he was trying to duplicate the feeling of hitting a fattie with the Vortex, and I believe he nailed it. Now I've got a Vortex and a wood-stem Simrell with a Stinger.

I was also put off by torches. They require too much attention, they don't work well in many weather conditions, and they look like you're heating a crack pipe. Plus, battery freedom is no freedom at all if you're bound to petroleum products instead. Using an IH makes it a more genteel experience, and using ti tips reduces heating and cooling times to the point where they fit in the natural spaces of a session.

As @Shit Snacks noted, you can't do anything about the bowl size, so having a more convenient rig like the Mighty in your quiver is definitely useful. But if you're still feeling the VAS, I'd recommend going deeper into the Dynaverse. If you like the M with a torch, you'll be delighted with a Simrell and an IH.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
If memory serves correctly, the Da Buddha bowl size is larger than the Surfer and many others.
You might enjoy its less restrictive air flow as well.
No carb hole though.

Another option that I've been raving about these past two weeks is the hands free Vapor Bros. paired with their Viper whip with a carb hole.
It's not "mouth to lung" it's more glass to lung, but it's completely hands free, with the Viper you can just lean forward and take a hit, there's nothing to hold onto.

And the hits are amazing. Smooth and massive. The combo is as close to perfection as I've experienced.

jeffp,
An update...

So far I'm liking it a lot. Not enough to escape the spliffs yet, but enough to cancel my 10 pack order of amber leaf that I'd usually get, so fingers crossed.

The only negative I'd say about the mighty is the flavour feels slightly muted compared to the dynavap. I'm surprised the £60 dynavap beats the £200 mighty on both flavour and fast cloud production, but to be fair the mighty is better on every other front. I love how easy it is to pack a bowl and just casually puff through it for a few minutes, in the same way I would with a spliff, and I love the fact that the herb always come out at the end perfectly cooked throughout. You should probably ignore my judgements on flavour anyway. seeing as I'm still smoking spliffs.

I have to say I find dry herb vapes and nicotine vapes give me much more of a tight chest and sore throat than smoking ever does. I've smoked spliffs for years and I never cough anything nasty up, I clear my throat a lot, but it's never uncomfortable and it always feels effective, just a very gentle throat clearing (barely a cough) and when I do it it feels like whatever I was trying to shift has actually shifted. My chest never feels tight and it's never a proper hacking 'smokers cough' even in the mornings and I chain smoke joints throughout the night while I'm working.

The vapes on the other hand make my chest and throat feel tight, and when I cough it's one of those nasty uncomfortable coughs that feels like it's not shifting anything anything. Perhaps a small bong with water would help.

You won't be unhappy with the Mighty. It puts out enough vape to work MTL, though it really shines on long, direct pulls, and it's an excellent portable session vape.

Still, mine has been gathering dust since I picked up a Simrell Vortex and a Fluxer IH. I'm also a former joint smoker, and I never fully bonded with any portable until I picked up the Vortex. Austyn Simrell said he was trying to duplicate the feeling of hitting a fattie with the Vortex, and I believe he nailed it. Now I've got a Vortex and a wood-stem Simrell with a Stinger.

I was also put off by torches. They require too much attention, they don't work well in many weather conditions, and they look like you're heating a crack pipe. Plus, battery freedom is no freedom at all if you're bound to petroleum products instead. Using an IH makes it a more genteel experience, and using ti tips reduces heating and cooling times to the point where they fit in the natural spaces of a session.

As @Shit Snacks noted, you can't do anything about the bowl size, so having a more convenient rig like the Mighty in your quiver is definitely useful. But if you're still feeling the VAS, I'd recommend going deeper into the Dynaverse. If you like the M with a torch, you'll be delighted with a Simrell and an IH.

This resonated with me I have to say. I just tried the dynavap again after a few days with the mighty, and whilst it's a bit hot and a bit harsh, the flavour is great and the immediacy of the hit feels like the bong hits I used to love in my younger years, especially when you take a BIG pull with the carb hole covered.

I am very tempted by the IH and stem for the dynavap, as well as a small bong to cool the smoke further.

The constant reloading of the cap is the main issue, especially as it gets so hot. I guess I could live with that. I'm sure I can streamline the reloading process if this becomes my main smoking method. I need to remember I won't be smoking it like I would spliffs (i.e chain smoking them whenever I'm in my studio working) so I won't need to be constantly reloading it for one hit after another. I'll just take a bit hit of the dynavap then go back to the nic vape.

It's tough to justify the cost for a new stem and IH for a consumption method I'm not fully invested in yet, but I just need to keep reminding myself how much I'll save on tobacco if get off the combustion, especially as I grow my own weed now and have a plentiful supply. Plus I'm sure my lungs will thank me for it.

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
This resonated with me I have to say. I just tried the dynavap again after a few days with the mighty, and whilst it's a bit hot and a bit harsh, the flavour is great and the immediacy of the hit feels like the bong hits I used to love in my younger years, especially when you take a BIG pull with the carb hole covered.

I am very tempted by the IH and stem for the dynavap, as well as a small bong to cool the smoke further.
MTL person as well, and after multiple vape purchases always seem to go back to the DV. Also own the Simrell Votex and Stinger w/ Ti tips. Have not experienced hot or harsh vapor since they were purchased even after accidentally combusting. The spiral intercooler, larger dia. condenser, extra length and Ti build really works as advertised. If you block your airport like I do, save your money and just go with the Stinger when finances are available. As others have mentioned, the Ti tip heats and cools faster.

Good luck on your vape journey.

endof3d,
Reactions: chris 71

Vaporware

I do think running your vapor through water may help. I’ve never smoked, and unless I’m pretty sick (or maybe occasionally with bad allergies) I’ve never noticed anything *to* shift with a cough.

Some people say they cough more with vaporizers while switching from smoking, and if you continue both the coughing may continue, but if you stop smoking and pay attention to a couple of things I think you’ll stop coughing almost completely (unless you have another reason to cough).

Here’s what gets me occasionally:

1. Back to back hot, dry hits (and I think draw restriction plays a role here too).

Hitting a VapCap straight (especially with the air port covered) is the worst in my lineup on that front, but running it through a longer vapor path and water if possible helps a lot. Other than that a VC/IH combination is a pretty solid option. :)

If I drink before/between hits that seems to alleviate a lot of those issues, so it’s not a common problem for me.

2. Huge hits, especially if there’s vapor left in my throat after my lungs are full. If I leave a bit of lung capacity to breathe in extra vaporless air at the end of the draw it’s not likely to make me cough.

If I avoid those things I never really cough…maybe 1% of the time when I screw up or forget what I’m trying to do.

I’m a much lighter user at probably ~2-5 good draws a day most of the time, but this all seems to hold true even on heavy use days (I was doing 2-3x that every day for a few months) so I expect it would be similar for heavier users.

Outside of that, other than with acute throat irritation (accidentally breathing in a lot of smoke or dust or other crap that might bother my throat/lungs) or occasionally if I’m sick I basically never cough.

I hope that helps you get to at least a more manageable situation with your coughing. Good luck! :)

Top Bottom