AVB Coconut Oil

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Not sure this is the right protocol, but figured I'd give it a shot here instead of old FC...

It's been awhile since I have cooked with my avb, I have a few jars worth from the past 4 years in fact... Anyway with the quarantine, I figure it's a good a time as any to make some again? Been talking about it for a while with some friends too so I already have cheesecloth even.

So what I actually have a ton of is coconut oil, how well does that work? In the past I've used a lot of vegetable oil, to make huge batches of pumpkin bars and cookies with my avb... Hoping I could just use this the same way? Since I use coconut oil for the first time making recently and it worked well. This would be with a Duncan Hines yellow cake mix I found in the kitchen lol

tldr anyone have experience infusing coconut oil with their vaped bud for baked goods?!

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Hey there @Shit Snacks my good man, it's nice to see you here and hope all is going well with you :tup:

Unless you actually dislike the taste of coconut (you may taste it in your baking), coconut butter/oil is perfect for infusing. Some say coconut is the best choice as due to it's high saturated fat content, it can take on a lot of the good stuff from your material, which gives the potential for a particularly potent end result.

I use a stove-top espresso/moka pot for quick & easy infusions with coconut butter & it works well.

Due to dietry requirements, I have never gone the dairy route with my infusions so I pretty much just replace dairy butter 1:1 with coconut butter, or look for cookie & brownie recipies that start out vegan in the first place - there are tonnes of good ones out there. I would think your cake mix will probably work fine, too.

That's some good use of time while on lockdown, dude. Plus, the whole process can be really quite relaxing - not to mention the results.

Have fun :)

:peace:

Dayseed

The biggest downside with ABV infused oil is that you’ll have to consume a lot more of the finished edibles to achieve the desired effect. That’s the main reason I’ve never bothered with ABV cannaoil and prefer to just make ABV hot chocolate on demand.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
you’ll have to consume a lot more of the finished edibles to achieve the desired effect
The material you start with (or what actives are left in it) certainly makes a difference to the effect it can provide, but the potency of the butter/oil is ultimately in the hands of the maker.

If you use vastly more abv than you would use fresh, you can make abv butter just about as potent as you wish.

You can saturate coconut oil with actives using abv, if you have enough abv.

A ratio of roughly 1:1, gram for gram, butter & abv, may sound extreme but is absolutely knockout for me! :twocents:

Dayseed

I'd always assumed that the efficacy of the infusion would drop off when using larger ratios of flower/ABV. Now I know that isn't necessarily the case, I'll have to save up some ABV and give it a go.

My concern is that there would simply be too much ABV in relation to oil. Let's say I typically use 20g of flower per cup of oil, I'd probably need 80g or more of ABV to match that strength. With that ratio I imagine there would be more ABV than oil and it would resemble a whisky mash. Maybe it could work if the ABV was ground to a powder - do you have any tips on that front @VegNVape ?

Dayseed,
Reactions: VegNVape

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Hey @Dravidian Hermit - I only have experience of this method using a stove-top espresso maker, so I don't think I see the issue you describe.

When finished on the stove I end up with a butter & water mixture in the top pot (& maybe a few abv particles that have slipped through) which is poured into a bowl and refrigerated to allow it to separate & harden. I then pour away the water & use the butter as required.

The bulk of the abv remains in a separate compartment (where you would usually put ground coffee) and is reduced to a puck which is easily removed on it's own at the very end of the process.

To allow for a higher potency, I use a relatively small amount of melted butter in the bottom pot, and for the espresso-pot to work correctly I then top it up to the maximum line with water. This method allows the possibility of cleanly infusing small amounts of butter with large amounts of abv.

I'm not at all sure how efficient I am really being, but as the process is easy and I'm using material that would otherwise get tossed, I'm more than happy with the results.

Dayseed

I understand now. Using water and the espresso method would prevent the kind of scenario I was thinking of. I'm so accustomed to making cannaoil with a
crockpot it hadn't occurred to me that you might be using a different approach.

I never saw the point of adding water to the oil, but it would certainly help when using large amounts of ABV. It'll need plenty of stirring when using a crockpot.

Shit Snacks

Hm yeah so I don't mind the coconut taste, I mean I do sometimes but since I already used it to bake regular banana bread before I know it worked well for me in general. This is extra virgin coconut oil actually.

And so what I've done in the past is I've taken an entire bottle of vegetable oil with over 2 ounces of browns, so it made a lot more oil than for just one batch that time, and the resulting pumpkin bars were quite strong actually (I don't tend to take most of my bud that dark when I vape)...

I also just used a pot on the stove, the coffee pot method sounds really good but I do not drink coffee or have any of that stuff (apparently French press really good for filtering with cheesecloth) I do have a crock pot but I'm not sure I really want to use it for this... I was just going to try it the same basic way as before, though I was planning to make less overall.

Likewise @VegNVape! Always a pleasure :D

So you don't bother to use any of that sunflower lecithin stuff with coconut oil then? If I can just use it the same way I used vegetable oil it should be fine to make non dairy treats, though not as hassle-free as some of these fancier methods I suppose...

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: VegNVape

Dayseed

Given that we're talking about ABV, I'd say lecithin is a must-have potency booster.

Dayseed,

Shit Snacks

Given that we're talking about ABV, I'd say lecithin is a must-have potency booster.

But like, is that something you would have used in vegetable oil as well? Because I have never used it before and never had a problem with potency... Is it something you need to specifically for coconut oil?

PS I hate the term ABV, "already been vaped" bc it has no subject, so I use AVB instead "already vaped bud" or I just call it browns typically :ko:

Shit Snacks,

Dayseed

My understanding is that lecithin binds with fats in a way that makes them more efficient at absorbing cannabinoids - who doesn’t want more bang for their buck? To the best of my knowledge that applies to all fats, so it should work with vegetable oils.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m fairly certain that vegetable oil isn’t as efficient as coconut oil when it comes to extraction. If that’s the case then lecithin might make up the difference.

I see what you mean about the terminology. It would be good to have a snappier and more appealing name that offset some of the negative associates people have. Perhaps it would be fun to start a new thread where everyone can offer up their own alternative names for this criminally underrated nutty nug dust.

Shit Snacks

My understanding is that lecithin binds with fats in a way that makes them more efficient at absorbing cannabinoids - who doesn’t want more bang for their buck? To the best of my knowledge that applies to all fats, so it should work with vegetable oils.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m fairly certain that vegetable oil isn’t as efficient as coconut oil when it comes to extraction. If that’s the case then lecithin might make up the difference.

I see what you mean about the terminology. It would be good to have a snappier and more appealing name that offset some of the negative associates people have. Perhaps it would be fun to start a new thread where everyone can offer up their own alternative names for this criminally underrated nutty nug dust.

Ha! I like that idea, let's do it! I've heard "duff" as well, or even "poo" lol

Yeah so if coconut oil is going to work even better than vegetable oil, I don't think I need to bother with the lecithin then? Especially considering my browns are such a mix of extraction levels, some golden even (though sure a little black too), and I could even throw in a little green...

I just didn't feel like having to buy an extra ingredient right now, though maybe the liquid sunflower lecithin is easily attainable ordering online? Perhaps in the future when I make more, presuming in this goes well, I'll try it with the lecithin using the older browns (I'll just use the "fresher" browns for this batch)

okay so I guess the proper protocol I should have done with the first post here was post links to oldFC coconut oil threads:

Maybe someday I will try one of these fancy slow cooker methods, or coffee pot tricks, but for now just going to go with the basic simmer and stir... I'll report back when I finally do it of course, maybe this weekend!

ManeVape

We make decent size batch. Starting with 54oz cold press CO. I water cure my AVB and fully dry it before i infuse. I water cure 2 full 64oz mason jar of AVB then strain and drain then dry it in the oven until crispy dry at the lowest setting which is typically ~170ºF. I infuse half of the dried material at time split between two 32oz mason jars, its about half full each. Then fill the 2 jars with my coconut oil, mix and cap. The two jars then co in a crockpot full of hot water set on low. I do a long, 8-12 hour soak. opening the jars to stir or even just a good shake. after the its finished I strain through cheesecloth and squeeze out. Then repeat the process with the other half of the water cured AVB but with the already infused oil, a double infusion. I found this to be my sweet spot for my desired potency. starting with 54oz of CO and after infusion ending up with 40-44oz of infused oil. The process takes time but in larger batches it tends to last quite a while. which is another bonus of using CO, it keeps longer especially in refrigeration.

Shit Snacks

Well I finally did it, no in a very unscientific pretty half-assed way lol

Since I was used to vegetable oil, I forgot that coconut oil might not bubble boil the same way, so for starters I think I cooked it for too long at too high of a setting before adding the weed... Then when I did add it it was still too hot and cooked really quick, burnt popcorn sizzle (I did put a little of green in there, but it wasn't exactly fresh, some airtight MarsOG from 4 years ago haha) Probably around 40oz in total with 1.25 cups of coconut oil... So I didn't cook it in the oil for very long, I added the grounds in stages stirring a lot, but yeah once I got it all in there I didn't let it sit very long before I turned off the stove. Then I poured it into a steel mesh strainer on top of a couple layers of cheesecloth, let it sit for a little while, but got impatient and did a half-assed squeeze press (in the past it was actually my friend who did this part and with more cheesecloth than I used this time, so nothing to grab onto or grip the overflowing dark mound) There was more oil clearly the cuz I had to run water to cool it off and pressed into the sink and saw more goodness, so yeah kind of a waste unfortunately, but I figured whatever because there was a lot there and I already botched it up so far lol (I know this would have been more reason to do the rest right! but I was also already using more oil than the recipe called for and didn't really care about extra this time...

So I ended up with maybe a cup of oil give or take, mixed that with a little under a cup of water, two large eggs, and a Duncan Hines yellow cake mix with a generous dash of vanilla extract (good for covering up the browns taste a little)... The batter actually smelled pretty yummy, easy to work with because it was so over oily, probably should have used another egg (like the recipe called for) but I didn't want to waste it, I did add a tiny bit more flour... I cooked it for 40 minutes or so at 300 degrees and we'll see what happens potency wise! Tastes like vanilla hash cake

So yeah I can see why people recommend crock pots and double boiler set ups for coconut oil infusions... among other things, but actually I think I am already starting to feel a little something over here! Edit to add: yes, definitely feeling effects, I packed up most of it in the freezer, and then ate some scrape crumbs... I think this would go better in some sort of milk smoothie probably!

IMG-20200517-183105050.jpg

1 proper dose is probably if you had cut up along the rest of those lines, so I think there's a total of 20 pieces here... Of course even then I think many people would take a half piece as one dose!

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I need to repost my last ABV coconut oil extraction and the brownies I made here. My method a cup of oil per oz of ABV, and it turned out very well.

Shit Snacks

How many hours did you let it cook, and how were the results?
Reading this thread has me wanting to do some experiments! Been a while

Haha 0 hours, that's what I was saying, it smelt overcooked right away so I just added all I could in maybe 10min as I stirred until it absorbed most of the oil, then turned stove off and pour it out to strain. Fast short infusion not a long slow proper one, in the past though I've only done like 45 minutes give or take (adding in slowly throughout while stirring, with more oil, veg oil, in wider pan) Either way I wasn't going to stand there stirring it for an hour, and I also botched the squeezing out like I said, I can understand even more now why many are using a slow cooker with coconut oil...

Regardless they still work, as I explained in my post, I don't know how you quantify the effects though lol Looking forward to others' experiments!

Last edited:
Shit Snacks,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Here was mine:

I just started my first ever ABV Coconut Oil batch!
Wish me luck
:razz:

IMG-1816.jpg

I used sunflower lecithin.

Each jar has 1oz of ABV, and a little over a cup of coconut oil (I started with a cup, and then added several teaspoons of coconut oil to each jar after adding the ABV because I felt it was just a little too thick). I'd added two tablespoons (six teaspoons) of sunflower lecithin powder to each jar and mixed till it dissolved before I added the ABV.

I'm keeping them in that double-boiler, and stirring each jar about every fifteen minutes with a butter knife.

I'm using a digital thermometer (one of these) to check the temp of the water as often or more often than I stir, and keeping the temp at approximately 190F (+ or - 5 degrees) by micro-adjusting the stove temp knob every time I check. After about an hour or so I found . pretty good spot for the temp dial, and haven't had to adjust it more than once or twice in the couple hours since.

I plan to strain it with at least two layers of cheesecloth after about 4 hours of cooking.

**edit**
Well, here is the fruits of my labors. About 2-cups of coconut canna-oil made from ~56 grams of ABV.
Into the fridge for cooling it goes. Guess I need to go get some brownie mix tomorrow
:tup:

IMG-1817.jpg

I think I did ok. It's starting to solidify into a nice green, considering that I finish my ABV at max temp in most vapes till it doesn't produce vapor any more.

It's still liquid and dark in the middle, so it may even be a lighter green by tomorrow morning.
There's only a very tiny bit of powder sediment at the bottom.

IMG-1818.jpg

Thanks. And yes, I plan to get some silicon molds in smaller stick-shapes or something similar before I make another batch. I still have close to 1.5oz of ABV, so I expect to me making another batch eventually.

I'm sure that you're right about the bowl being much easier to get the oil out than this jar. But a jar with a lid is just really convenient. Plus, I can just put it in the microvave for 30-seconds to soften the oil so I can scoop it out.

Either way, here it is after being in the fridge for a day. It turned even a lighter green, which is awesome, because the ABV I used was quite brown. It looks very nice. Though, it still has that strong toasted ABV smell. I will probably definitely water-cure the ABV next time, as I have been led to believe that water-curing will get rid of most of that odor and taste.

IMG-1826.jpg

Anyway, I guess I will use about 3/4 of a cup of this to make some brownies tonight (the brownie mix box calls for 1/2 cup, so I figure that I can up that to 3/4 cup and be okay, but not much more). The box calls for baking at 350F for about 20 minutes, but I don't want to cook that hot, lest I kill the drugs I've worked so hard for...so I plan to bake it at 300F, which will probably take more like 45 minutes or more, but I'm fine with that.

And now, onward and forward with this experiment.
BECAUSE SCIENCE!
:science:

Yeah. I have a bag of gelatin capsules in my medicine cabinet. Was thinking about making some of those.
I have a high tolerance for edibles though. Previously, I would make milkshakes with 12-14 grams of powdered ABV blended in. Anything less than 10 grams just wasn't worth my time. Though, I'm hoping this coconut oil extraction with sunflower lecithin will yield a more potent product...more bio-availability and all. I just don't want to have to swallow 20 or more pills. I also hope I don't have to eat half or more this pan to get a satisfying effect.

Anyway. I made ~2 cups of coconut oil with 2 ounces of ABV, and these brownies used 2/3 cup of coconut ABV canna-oil. I just hope I don't have to eat half the pan to have a noticeable effect. This pan should provide 18 2"x 3" squares. I'll probably just eat a couple of them tonight, and see how it goes. Next time maybe I'll use another 1/2 - 1/3 cup of oil to blend into frosting. No frosting on these brownies.

They are cooling now
:tup:

IMG-1830.jpg

blissfulyogi

I recently made coconut oil with abv, lots of it and it came really gold and when it cooled of it have this very dark like green camo color. It was done with 2 liters of oil and probably 600gs of avb I collected for years, most of it CBD and little bit of it was thc, I soaked the avb in water to get that awful avb taste off, I was highly doubting it would help but oh boy it did the job. When I eat some of it I dont feel high like from weed, but more like trippy, like from mushrooms, but not like tripping balls and seeing fractal patterns all over the place, anyone experienced similar effects.
I feel like my method extracted everything out of it
put oil in the jar or avb + mix it well with some utensil, close it but not fully just let the air escape ,so the lid wont slip off, cover it with tightly sealed aluminum foil. Put something on the bottom of the pressure cooker (lids ), put the jars on it + fill the cooker with water pressure cook it for two hours. Let it cool off and then either strain it through cheese cloth ( I bought this bandage from pharmacy and I put avb in it and squeezed the hell out of these little balls.
Then i throwed it away.

Last edited:

blissfulyogi

I recently made coconut oil with abv, lots of it and it came really gold and when it cooled of it have this very dark like green camo color. It was done with 2 liters of oil and probably 600gs of avb I collected for years, most of it CBD and little bit of it was thc, I soaked the avb in water to get that awful avb taste off, I was highly doubting it would help but oh boy it did the job. When I eat some of it I dont feel high like from weed, but more like trippy, like from mushrooms, but not like tripping balls and seeing fractal patterns all over the place, anyone experienced similar effects.
I feel like my method extracted everything out of it
put oil in the jar or avb + mix it well with some utensil, close it but not fully just let the air escape ,so the lid wont slip off, cover it with tightly sealed aluminum foil. Put something on the bottom of the pressure cooker (lids ), put the jars on it + fill the cooker with water pressure cook it for two hours. Let it cool off and then either strain it through cheese cloth ( I bought this bandage from pharmacy and I put avb in it and squeezed the hell out of these little balls.
Then i throwed it away.
just wanted to add, this shit is quite spiritual, heightened senses, without paranoia and the mental fogginess which I unfortunately experienced when I was forced to go back to combusting, It helps to relieve pain during yoga session quite immensely.

blissfulyogi,

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Hi guys, in your opinion with 10g of ABV how much coconut oil should I use? :nope:

I came here to find some guidelines for dosing also. I'm trying my hand at this soon and was going to use ground mid to low grade buds not ABV.

I've found a few posts mentioning a 1:1 ratio. However, not sure if that is for ABV or some average potency flower. I am looking to make some sleep inducing medicine from some older indica bud that has been sitting here. I do not want to make face-ripping high-potency edibles.

Hoping for some suggestions for both of us. Also, I'm still not clear if soy lecithin is helpful with CO. I know @Stu asked this question but not sure on the answer.

Last edited:
BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: TiSteamo

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
I recently decided give AVB coconut oil a try. I’ll start off by saying, I’m glad I did. I wanted to use my Insta Pot to keep the smell at bay and really nail down a consistent temperature. This method has proven very repeatable and the finished product is very easy to work with. To my surprise mine has been coming out green and the flavor is consistent with what I have tasted from store bought edibles. I find the flavor to be pleasing. Only downside is you need an Insta Pot and and a basic understanding of how they work.

My ratio was 8 tablespoons of AVB to 10 tablespoons of naturally refined organic coconut oil. This makes just under a 1/2 cup of finished product.

1. In small food processor turn AVB into powder
2. Place coconut oil and AVB in mason jar and finger tighten the lid
3. Put 2 cups of water in the Insta Pot
4. Place mason jar into Insta Pot. You could probably do up to 6 mason jars in my Insta Pot
5. Close the lid and set the Insta Pot to high pressure for 30 minutes
6. When 30 minutes is up turn it off and allow it to do its natural pressure release.
7. I used two natural coffee filters placed in a reusable gold type coffee filter and kept stiring till no more oil is being filtered. I then rang the double coffee filter to squeeze out as much as possible.

I’ve been messing with doses using a milliliter syringe. 10ml was a bit strong for daytime. 5-7ml seems just right. I’m liking not making one batch of something like brownies. You can put it on everything. Today I had fried chicken biscuits with one teaspoon (about 5ml) of oil slathered on one of the biscuits. Mmmmmmm

The method I used here was inspired by The Toasted Blondes YouTube video.

C40775-E7-7-BE5-48-D8-823-B-B9-B7-D5-C9386-C.jpg

Top Bottom