Auber Instruments RDK200 e-nail

PoopMachine

They just got them in today. I only know this because I emailed about getting one and they just replied that they have come in and they can ship me one out today so your stuff should be enroute today id imagine.

PoopMachine

Schweet! I just bought a flat coil to use with my Infiniti. I have two 16m coils and a female nail now I guess I wont be using.

Please note that the flat coil needs a change in the PID values if you didnt see that already.

I just purchased the Dnail analog but is on back order.

D-HEATER-KV-REG-20 D-Nail Standard Coil Heater (20mm)
1 $90.00 $90.00
HIVE-NAIL-V1-20 D-Nail Compatible Hive Ceramic Nail (20mm)
1 $90.00 $90.00
HIVE-CARBCAP Hive Ceramics Carb Cap with Stinger
1 $55.00 $55.00
D-CONTROL-ANA-V2-CONTROLONLY NEW D-Nail Analog Essential Oil Vaporizer (Controller ONLY)
1 $70.00 $70.00

If I use a temperature gun up to 915f, do you guys think this will be a good setup? I want to dab in 6-700 range. I just bought mighty and minivap, so didn't want to dish out another $700-1000 dollars for a digital enail.

You could get the Auber piece for about the same price only without the ceramic nail as they just sell TI. or you could buy just the controller and coil and get the nail somewhere else. Their coil and heater arent much more than Dnails and Auber's is digital.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I skimmed the .PDF on how to do that on the Auber website, seemed pretty easy.(I think)

I sold my HE Infinity awhile back, I have the SCS Omni nail, wonder if that'll work with the flat coil.

Silver420Surfer,

PoopMachine

YES! Man.. I really wanted one of those. if I would have known it existed before getting the Infiniti, I would have gotten that one.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Cool!
The anticipation is starting to build. Gonna hit up my LHS to see about a carb cap. Any good things to say about the cheap, ceramic carb caps I see all over ebay?

Silver420Surfer,

PoopMachine

Let me forewarn you about an issue I had. Make sure whatever you do that the carb cap isnt touching the coil. It will cause huge temperature drops and the coil will start to heat and then when you pull the cap, the temp will jump 75-100 degrees.

What I ended up with, because it was all I could find that would work, was the HE UniTi cap. It fits the cup nicely and doesnt drop down below it and contact the coil. I did look at a couple of ceramics that would probably have worked but none of them had a real tight fight like the HE did.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I saw that earlier post where you mentioned that. My buddy has a carb cap that is flat and thin, not peaked like most other I have seen. It wouldn't be able to touch the coil at all. Gonna see what brand it is. It came with his Errlectric(I think).

It's THIS one. Errlectric Vortex Cap.

Silver420Surfer,
Reactions: DieHard

Soflo

Only birdshit and fools
Let me forewarn you about an issue I had. Make sure whatever you do that the carb cap isnt touching the coil. It will cause huge temperature drops and the coil will start to heat and then when you pull the cap, the temp will jump 75-100 degrees.

What I ended up with, because it was all I could find that would work, was the HE UniTi cap. It fits the cup nicely and doesnt drop down below it and contact the coil. I did look at a couple of ceramics that would probably have worked but none of them had a real tight fight like the HE did.

this also has to do with the quality of your PID. on my nail I can put the carb cap on the coil all day and not get a drop of more than 5 degrees. doesn't matter if it's Boro, quartz, or ti. it has to do with how long the PID takes to recognize the coil is losing temp, then how long it takes the PID to adjust to this temp drop.

GSH

On a Möbius plane
Couple of tips for the Auber flat coils...

I never needed to changed my PID settings as it was already done for me. I assume this may be the same for others if you buy the unit with a flat coil at the same time. I think you may only need to change it if you had the unit ship with a barrel coil originally and therefore the PID values would need to be changed.

Also if your coil is too tight, you can unwind them with a flat head screwdriver. Just put the head into the centre hole and twist until you unwind the coil slightly. I needed to do this to make the coil fit my ceramic nail.

I am loving my unit, such a pleasure to use.

After much more testing I have settled on 1.20 for the coil/nail heater compensation. This seems to give the most accurate results using both my k-type probe thermometer and my infra red :)

PoopMachine

Couple of tips for the Auber flat coils...

I never needed to changed my PID settings as it was already done for me. I assume this may be the same for others if you buy the unit with a flat coil at the same time. I think you may only need to change it if you had the unit ship with a barrel coil originally and therefore the PID values would need to be changed.

Also if your coil is too tight, you can unwind them with a flat head screwdriver. Just put the head into the centre hole and twist until you unwind the coil slightly. I needed to do this to make the coil fit my ceramic nail.

I am loving my unit, such a pleasure to use.

After much more testing I have settled on 1.20 for the coil/nail heater compensation. This seems to give the most accurate results using both my k-type probe thermometer and my infra red :)

I bought a type K thermocouple and an infrared gun and Ive yet to get any numbers that are even in the ballpark to what I expect to see. What are you seeing on the nail with your infrared?

this also has to do with the quality of your PID. on my nail I can put the carb cap on the coil all day and not get a drop of more than 5 degrees. doesn't matter if it's Boro, quartz, or ti. it has to do with how long the PID takes to recognize the coil is losing temp, then how long it takes the PID to adjust to this temp drop.

What values are you using? All of the PID values are adjustable, I just dont know what to set them at.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Hopefully you get it sooner than later! @Dr200!!

Tracking shows my RDK200 is 400 miles from my house as of 11PM est. USPS is delivering normal hours tomorrow(New Years Eve), although local offices are closing early i believe. Crossing fingers that I may receive it tomorrow.

Silver420Surfer,
Reactions: aesthyrian

GSH

On a Möbius plane
I bought a type K thermocouple and an infrared gun and Ive yet to get any numbers that are even in the ballpark to what I expect to see. What are you seeing on the nail with your infrared?
Well it takes a bit of practice, but hover your gun about an inch above, directly over the nail, ignore the laser pointer, but concentrate on getting the large sensor hole directly over the centre of the nail. This gives me results in the region of 680-740 when the unit is set to 710 with the compensation at 1.20.

The thermocouples take a bit of practice too, but give much more accurate results. I have found the the heads of the probes are somewhat directional, and you have to have head sitting at the right angle to get a good reading. Also you have to be quite steady with your hand and wait for the probe to warm up and for the reading to steady itself, which usually takes about 30 seconds of holding the probe in the same spot on the nail. One last thing I found with the thermocouples is you need to measure the nail in a spot where there is no caked on residue, otherwise the temps read lower by around 30-50 degrees. Measuring the cup of a clean nail gives best results.

Last edited:
GSH,

PoopMachine

Which nail are you using? I had been using one of the nails they sell with the kit which is a nice nail actually but I switched to an Infiniti with the e-nail adapter. I dont think this nail gets as evenly heated as the old one. So I ordered a flat coil and will be putting the Infiniti back to its original form and using the flat coil underneath the cup. That should at least help with consistent heating in the cup.

PoopMachine,

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
My RDK200 is sitting over across the bay from me as of 7:00pm:cuss:.
Looks like Friday for me here as well. Not a big deal.

Here's to a happy and safe New Year to all!!
Don't forget to put your silver out on the window sill!!

"Place the silver coins on a windowsill outside your home. If you don't
have a windowsill you can put the coins on a small table outside your front
and/or back door. Do this prior to midnight. Leave the coins outside all
night. The next day take the coins off the windowsill or table and place in
a baggie being careful not to drop any coins on the ground. Spend the coins
on things like food, gasoline, clothes during the first days or weeks of the
New Year. I usually buy a few candy bars, a few gallons of gasoline and buy
a piece of clothing. The tradition is that if you do this you will not want
for money all through the coming year
."

It can't hurt to try, right?:tup:

Silver420Surfer,

PoopMachine

You around St Pete/Clearwater?

Ill take that as a yes.. Rocking Card and Gifts still around over there? I lived in St Pete for a while.

Last edited:

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I was up that way the weekend before Christmas. Visiting Big Cat Rescue. http://bigcatrescue.org
Such a cool place. @Silver420Surfer have you ever been? It's in your neck of the woods.
Yes I have and very cool place.
I was driving around town one day, stop at a traffic light, stare at little pickup truck in front of me, and wonder how they painted that 3D tiger in the back. WAIT, how is that painting moving...oh shit, fucking REAL tiger in a caged pickup less than 10 ft from me. It was the Big Cat truck carrying a new resident to the rescue, or something. Fucking Florida.

PoopMachine

Man.. if Mrs P knew that place existed, we'd be driving south.

Hopefully the USPS gods smile on you and you'll have your Auber goodness tomorrow.

Im hoping my flat coil shows up tomorrow so I can ditch the Infiniti e-nail adapter. I really feel like that is a subpar piece of equipment. Hopefully the flat coil and the original dish work better.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
RC&G--That's right close!

I am going to go to the Post Office tmrw and pick it up, if not I'll be stuck waiting till around 5PM for it to arrive. Just gotta find an errlectric vortex carb cap(at a discount) and I'll be set.

Here's to hoping your coil makes it tomorrow!!:cheers:

Silver420Surfer,
Top Bottom