Athlete Vaporists?

vapirtoo

Hey, that's our spot!
Sunday's night drunken debauchery was still affecting me on
Tuesday so I had to bag on the ride with VapeEscapist.
My weight dropped from my normal 127 to 124, and my thighs
were looking like toothpicks sooo, I slept and ate.
I'm 125 right now so.. off to breakfast.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
anyone have any experience with the stryd power meter for running?

I don't, but I know quite a few runners who do. So first of all one major plus the Stryd offers is precise distance and therefore pace measurements without having to rely on GPS (which, depending on where you live, can be hit or miss).

The power metric is apparently very useful too, because it's much more „real time“ than for example heart rate. My brother was able to run a fantastic marathon time a few months ago by following the recommendations by Stryd and he said his resources lasted exactly until the very few last meters of the course, so apparently Stryd is very good at estimating your capabilities.

For me personally it's a bit of a too expensive gadget, I don't do races (not really) and have no specific goals I'm hunting. Stryd also kinda lost me by switching to subscription models for their training plans – although I hear it's recommended to book those for a short time only and then learn how to interpret the numbers Stryd gives you on your own. Anyway, if your goal is to optimize your training, the Stryd pod is an interesting item for sure.

I recommend checking out the channel by YouTube runner Kofuzi, he made → quite a few in-depth videos about the Stryd.

Last edited:

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I live on the north side of the White Mtns. in NH, where there's still a fair amount of snow around. Nonetheless, yesterday was the third riding day this season and what a day, warm and beautiful. After lunch I rode up Pinkham Notch from Gorham nearly to Wildcat Ski area, taking detours at Dolly Copp campground. I started up officially-closed for the winter Dolly Copp Rd. to push myself a bit, but after less than ten minutes of steep ascent, there was too much snow on the shaded road. I was planning on heading to the fabulous Reklis brew pub for dinner, and instead of going home and cleaning up and changing, I decided to go for another ride over in Crawford Notch. Rode up still gated Zealand Road for five miles until it too was covered with snow. Then rode up to the Mt. Washington Hotel with the snowcovered high mountains hovering behind. Had some nice Headbanger 30% thc in my new Crafty + and ended up doing over 24 miles all together, nearly all on very hilly terrain. Not bad for a 74 year old! Then off to the bar for the best chicken tacos I've ever eaten and a flight of six small but outstanding brewskis.

vapirtoo

Great time and read! 24 miles on a mountain bike with hills impressive.
I'm kinda familiar with that area, and I'm envious of your clear air and better overall environment!

It sounds like a case of bicycle belly that makes everything seem delicious. LOL

I used to stay at the Interval motel which had a great view of the Presidential range. (1980-2005)
Also stayed at the Stone Hurst? Manor until the prices went insane.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Great time and read! 24 miles on a mountain bike with hills impressive.
I'm kinda familiar with that area, and I'm envious of your clear air and better overall environment!

It sounds like a case of bicycle belly that makes everything seem delicious. LOL

I used to stay at the Interval motel which had a great view of the Presidential range. (1980-2005)
Also stayed at the Stone Hurst? Manor until the prices went insane.
There's still an Intervale motel diagonally across the street from the spectacular scenic viewing area.

RE: Bicycle Belly! I've got it! I do vigorous exercise five or six days a week nearly every week of the year for years. But I love my beer and food. The result is too obvious!:)

GetLeft

@Polarbearboy it appears to me that you're living right.

Got a little active a few months ago after a long long layoff. I got into a decent gym routine (2x/wk) to build up enough fitness to handle a little skiing. Got in four days across two trips to the Adirondacks which is some of the most beautiful country there is and more than enough to keep me from fantasizing about skiing out west. Ski the East!

Then I got lazy again until today. Got to the gym to dust things off a bit and later I'll clean up my mtb and be ready for my initial ride before the end of the week, I hope. Retiring in a couple of months so exercise is soon to be a feature of my daily routine. Looking forward to being a little healthier, physically (not to mention every other way I'm going to be better once I leave the grind behind).

When I first started up at the gym a few months ago after a long layoff I was worried about my heart due to a recent high cholesterol result and some tightness in my chest after doing squats. Around the same time I got what they call here a Lifeline screening where they ultrasound your arteries at different points in your body. That came back all normal so I haven't started the cholesterol meds and will retest in a couple of months after I have a chance to be on the bike for a little while to see if I can burn some of the cholesterol away that way, along with eating less crap and more fruit :tup:

btw a little MTF prior to the workout is a wonderful thing.

Ganjora

Thanks for your reply @ Siebter.
Pulled the trigger on saturday morning and the unit was delivered yesterday.
I in stalled the app and charged the device, but went for my run while it was on charge.
It is an expensive toy, but from what i have read and watched the accuracy, training programs, race plans, workout library etc etc, it looks to be current 'final word' in virtual coaching.
So, theoretically, the only excuse i will have for poor performance is poor genetics.

TerpzChaser

To the OP... I train BJJ 3x per week, do brisk walking on off days, not saying I have the highest endurance or cardio in the gym, but I give almost everyone a run for their money and almost always walk out feeling like I could do more. My VO2 max is pretty high too, as well as a quick recovery time. Vape daily.

CANtalk

Been a while since I posted here. I've followed most the posts and discussion since so thx for sharing! I fell off the exercise wagon after a big year last year and took a break. It was a snowy cold long winter and then a terrible spring (again). In fact, I just did my first MTB ride today... it was the first really good weather & temperature day.

I serviced the MTB again in early spring, annual stuff. I took it in for a fork service, hydraulic brake bleed, topped up tubeless sealant, general check and cleaning type of stuff (head bearings check too). The bike underwent a major rebuild last year and this year is a more basic service. I serviced the rear shock myself, fine tuned the spoke tension on the wheels, and set up the suspension travel / sag again. I have to do the brakes soon (pads and rotor cleaning) but that's easy and I have all the parts. I did pick up another chain to make sure I keep the chainrings and cassette in good shape. I did go through a chain in less than a summer last year, so with all the difficulty in getting parts I made sure to have a spare at home ready to go later this year if I ride a lot again.

It was the same first ride as last year, direction and everything. And a beautiful day, just great overall... I rode18 miles starting around lunch for a few hours. It was lots of dirt single track and the #2 difficult trail in the area. I can't wait to get out again :tup:. I'm outta shape big time compared to last year, but I feel there's still a good base. I was very technically proficient... cool beans :rockon:. Time to focus on cardio.... and the year looks really promising.

I vaped a strong sativa after getting home. HAF still now so sorry for any spelling / grammar awkwardness. I've got some terrible syntax when I post really high :lol:.

Tomorrow I'll have to deal with a sore bicycle seat butt, tired shoulders and forearms, but otherwise I'm fine. And it looks like I'll be riding for much of the next week (more great weather) 👍.

Bring on great weather! Cheers, keep sharing stories & have a great weekend.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

GetLeft

Tomorrow I'll have to deal with a sore bicycle seat butt, tired shoulders and forearms

First ride of the season can be humbling. Took mine today and was reminded of all the body parts you mention plus neck and hands. Takes a few rides to get my grip back. Thought I had ok conditioning but not so much. Good thing I had some MTF under my belt to help me weather the lesser pleasant moments of the ride.

GetLeft

Yea we're in pre-fly season at the moment. It will be short lived. In northeast PA the insects aren't intolerable but once the bugs make their presence known I start spraying myself down before rides. I have a natural repellant that works well. Deer flies suck when you're clipped in and slogging slowly uphill through their territory. They don't quit. There have been moments when I've gotten off the bike to do battle with an persistently attacking fly. It's to the death or until I whack the thing good enough to deliver a message. I can imagine what I look like if someone saw me. No worse than what I look like as I'm spraying myself down with spray before I hop on the bike.

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
I've been enjoying some warmer spring weather - can't say that I love getting bundled up and messing with running in the cold and snow. The spring runs are much more enjoyable, and therefore more plentiful as well.

vapirtoo

Running, biking, everything is better in the Spring.
Even nude skiing, oh yeah I've seen it at Pinkham notch;
I've never done it.

I just came in from a 34 mile bike ride with VapeEscapist.
He still makes me feel like Wily Coyote, but the burn in
my thighs and hip flexors will make me stronger in the
near future.
I never should have looked down at my
speedometer when I was in a real close draft with him;
20 mph into a headwind! I cracked shortly after that and
gave up, but we were at the turn around spot, and after
a brief pause we flew home with the wind at our backs.
Beautiful ride to a spot in Queens that I have never seen;
right under the Throgs Neck bridge. No cookies!!!

CANtalk

Thx for the warm embrace coming back to the athlete vaporists thread and routine here:love:! I never should have taken this winter off :razz:. Since jumping back in with the outdoor exercise routine, I got out four times in 6 days with nice weather. It was day on day off but for the last two back to back, with some current and forecasted poor weather expected.

Today was my 7th day back, break day, and tomorrow looks the same. I over-exercised last year and already this year I'm trying to manage that better with more rest. I lost a lot of conditioning but the exercise rewards have already been very impressive. I'm feeling much better from a dark cold winter with more energy & attentiveness, better sleep and more positive effects... I totally needed this ✨🌠.

The second MTB ride was 12 miles and easier trails to recover. The next was 18 miles like the first MTB ride and on the same paths but in a different order. Really good and thankfully I wasn't as bagged as the first ride :clap:. The next day managed another 12 miles on the MTB again and was going to go easy but felt good enough to include and tackle the top difficult trail in the area. First time this year on that trail and only 4 trips into the season is good good news :bowdown:. It went better than I was planning just a few days ago and the season is starting off with a bang here. Nice to see the leg strength and endurance improving so soon.

I pushed the cardio enough to uncomfortably peak my HR once on the last ride... so it has begun :razz:. Last year, I similarly pushed my HR and endurance and the result was I got into the best overall shape of my life (resting heart rate of 45 bpm). I hope to match that level of fitness again this year... we'll see. Happy to report my resting HR already seems to have improved to being similarly low on rest days... and now I need to build the endurance side of things back up. And hopefully avoid injury as well as the over-exercise plague. All looks good so far. Late spring here and very little bugs so far.

Awesome rides, I saw a snake, a rabbit and two deer over three of four MTB trips already this year... the great outdoors :luv:.

HAF after a weekly cannabis break on some sativas :evil:, sorry for any grammar or spelling issues :razz:.

Have a great weekend.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Running, biking, everything is better in the Spring.
Even nude skiing, oh yeah I've seen it at Pinkham notch;
I've never done it.
I just came in from a 34 mile bike ride with VapeEscapist.
He still makes me feel like Wily Coyote, but the burn in
my thighs and hip flexors will make me stronger in the
near future.
I never should have looked down at my
speedometer when I was in a real close draft with him;
20 mph into a headwind! I cracked shortly after that and
gave up, but we were at the turn around spot, and after
a brief pause we flew home with the wind at our backs.
Beautiful ride to a spot in Queens that I have never seen;
right under the Throgs Neck bridge. No cookies!!!
Thanks for joining me @vapirtoo, always a pleasure.

I'm very impressed with your effort. I can only hope to be as fit as you are if I get to be your age.

I ended up doing about 8 hours on the bike that day. Probably close to 70 miles, which included the Triboro 4 times. Perfect day for it.

vapirtoo

Thanks for getting me out of the grave and into the light! LoL
Great ride, great company, great day.
Rain, wind and other shit has me only walking right now,
but I really think that my next ride will have more umph
after that workout. Eager to find out!
More hook ups this Spring and Summer for sure.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Just to show you all who's the slowest (and the most evil : )
Loving my Garmin Vivoactive. Gotta wait for the gps to connect sometimes but it's worth it.

Anyone use Trailforks?

I use a similar GPS feature on my Fitbit Sense for running. Occasionally the route results in a picture that represents "something". My favorite was a 5k GPS tracking that looked like a man standing up and peeing where the penis was very evident. Yours kinda looks like a uterus....

Top Bottom