Athlete Vaporists?

ugotmale

“I would probably say around 80 % of the guys in our league use cannabis,” said Tavarres King, who played for the Georgia Bulldogs and spent seven years in the NFL.

“You mentioned 80% of your teammates or guys that you know in the league were using marijuana. Were you one of them?” Klein asked King.

“100 percent,” King answered, going on the record for the first time about his marijuana use during his NFL career.

King said marijuana helped him with anxiety and focus.

“Playing with it, laser sharp. I was laser sharp, laser focused,” King said.

“So, everyone knows you with the Giants, Lambeau Field, catching a touchdown pass from Eli Manning and you were high that game?” Klein asked.

“Yeah, yeah I was,” replied King laughing.

“You did your job,” Klein said.

“Yeah, I did my job,” King said.

Ganjora

after getting the forerunner 745 my running was still pace dictated, and hear rates etc were studied after the fact.
after much reading and you tubing i decided to switch to HR dictated.
having used polar before i am accustomed to the chest strap, so got the hrm-pro chest strap to go with the watch.
been following the watch's suggestions since 5 jan 2022.
have noticed the hills are a bit easier/faster at the same bpm.
resting HR down from 45 to 43.
enjoying the running part just as much as before, really enjoying nerding out with accurate readings and additional data fields .

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
resting HR down from 45 to 43.
Awesome. I'm really proud to have 50 at 250lbs...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Been through hell trying to get repairs done.

Long story short. Should have been fixed a week ago but Trek really dropped the ball.

Spending money on taxis and not being able to ride in the warm days this past week is making me pretty annoyed.

vapirtoo

Completed a 41 mile ride in 3+ hrs. average speed 13 mph!
No real hills by Kennedy airport, Jamaica bay so my ride was mostly
an easy spin with some up tempo bursts with passing riders.
Had some help from the Cookie king with a thc cookie and some of
joe's lemonade to help get me launched.
The thc keeps me focused on breathing and pedaling form as opposed
to straining and getting frustrated.
As mentioned before, proper gear makes cold weather riding, 35 degrees or
warmer, quite enjoyable.
This is from an old, skinny fuck who HATES! the cold.

Nina

How is everyone doing?
I'm looking forward to some biking just as soon as it warms up a bit, have been out running and my lungs are still thanking for my recently adopted mostly edible strategy😇
Not that I'm running any faster😶 but hey, it's running😁all running is hard😁

Vehmic

Bogwood Ent
I am a dancer but also cycle and do calisthenics, recently had to lay off vaping due to how enflamed it was making my throat (dynavap through cheap showerhead perc rig). Switched over to edibles for a few days and it's improving but I need to rethink my habits a bit. Even smoking heavy never bothered my throat like this so I imagine it's something unique about vapor but not sure.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I've been running at night for the most part. I use a cell phone for music, blue tooth headphones, a GPS Fitbit watch and two rechargeable lights (one facing backwards and another that illuminates me and the ground in front of me). I use more energy getting ready to run than the energy I use running. :lol:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
I've been training a bit in Central Park, which is not my favorite place by a long shot but it's convenient.

I was pacing a fellow on a $8k road bike for a half lap and he said, "You're fast! You should buy a road bike and race!" It's a flattering compliment, but it's not something I would get involved in.

Looking to start training my 50 miler to the Rockaways for the first time in 2022 Tuesday. Temps and wind look favorable.

Vehmic

Bogwood Ent
Sorry to hear that, I've switched recently to mostly edibles and my lungs are happier, my throat probably is too, hope you find a schedule that works for you soon Vehmic!
Yeah I followed your path, I think vaping will be an occasional treat now, though after just a few days the irritation is mostly cleared up. Actually been really enjoying how long lasting edibles are for work, a lot easier to hit my sweet spot that kicks my brain into hyperfocus without overshooting. I get my bike back from the shop tomorrow and I am so excited.

Nina

after just a few days the irritation is mostly cleared up
I feel like a couple times a week is fine for most people, your throat can recover quickly and as long as your general health is strong you'll be ok. It's when you do it more often (ie every day- stupid me:uhoh:)and the gaps arent long enough for the tissues to recover, then damage starts to accumulate.

Sounds like you're having a blast with all that fab
tech His_Highness🤩👍
I just love when those endorphins kick in mixing with the cannabinoids. Blissful afterburners are go!
You're so lucky! I'm always too impaired to do anything like running, but I love the high from running so the weed+running buzz must be something else....

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
You have a bike mechanic as a roommate! Marry him, her, or them immediately!

I'm up here on the north side of NH's White Mtns., where winter has given us snow showers and frost 5 of the last seven mornings. But the days are warming and all the roadside nasty salty snow has finally disappeared. I'm hoping I'll be hopping on the ebike(reminder: I'm 74!) either today or tomorrow for the first time this season. Riding my stationary recumbent bike bores me to tears, so I smile when I see sunny and 50f for tomorrow. Riding vigorously up hills and through the notches is my health and my joy.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Had a good conversation with another NYC cyclist who's been riding about as long as I.

I mentioned how I've never been hit by a car in 13 years to see what he would say and he was flabbergasted. Then he proceeded to say that most of the times he's been hit were likely his fault...

For me, "the game" is getting home alive and uninjured. One of my philosophies, "Save it for the next hill or bridge.". Meaning, anyone can sprint on flats but here in NYC there's another climb right around the corner, save your gas for that shit.

@Polarbearboy - I can only hope to make it to 73, and if I do before I mount my E-bike I'll vape one for you.

:leaf::peace:

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
As an avid cyclist, runner, ski mountaineer, I have always included cannabis in my activities when safe. I don't use it when I'm skiing or climbing high risk terrain. But I find I can't use it before I start exercising because it elevates my heart rate and for some reason that causes me to go to hard out the gate during my warm up period. Anyone else experience this?

Was at the trail head the other day and a very fit looking guy was warming up for his run with a joint

dman28

Vaping for the health of it.
As an avid cyclist, runner, ski mountaineer, I have always included cannabis in my activities when safe. I don't use it when I'm skiing or climbing high risk terrain. But I find I can't use it before I start exercising because it elevates my heart rate and for some reason that causes me to go to hard out the gate during my warm up period. Anyone else experience this?

Was at the trail head the other day and a very fit looking guy was warming up for his run with a joint
As an avid downhill skier in the past. I always had difficulty with double black diamonds with pot on board but others it never bothered them. Also wanted to say very happy with your work on my tools. They are fire. Thanks brother..positive karma to you!

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
But I find I can't use it before I start exercising because it elevates my heart rate and for some reason that causes me to go to hard out the gate during my warm up period. Anyone else experience this?
I definitely experience the heart rate elevation along with the body gearing up. It's an integral, sought after part of my warm-up. If I work it correctly my body is ready and willing to take off hard at the start but I monitor my breathing and don't run past my lungs or my legs. If I were still chasing personal records I might let the dogs out more. My entire warm up (Vaping, stretching, hard charging music, calisthenics) focuses on something like a Pavlov's Dog response to get my mind and body to want to GO! I just don't let it....

Another part of revving the engine is a half cup of strong black coffee 15 minutes before warming up.

I don't know if its age (63) or something else but as I got older and my beats per minute got lower and lower I found myself working harder to physically charge up for the run. Maybe I just got used to it all.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I definitely experience the heart rate elevation along with the body gearing up. It's an integral, sought after part of my warm-up. If I work it correctly my body is ready and willing to take off hard at the start but I monitor my breathing and don't run past my lungs or my legs. If I were still chasing personal records I might let the dogs out more. My entire warm up (Vaping, stretching, hard charging music, calisthenics) focuses on something like a Pavlov's Dog response to get my mind and body to want to GO! I just don't let it....

Another part of revving the engine is a half cup of strong black coffee 15 minutes before warming up.

I don't know if its age (63) or something else but as I got older and my beats per minute got lower and lower I found myself working harder to physically charge up for the run. Maybe I just got used to it all.
As noted above, I'm 74. I too always have a couple of hits and strong black coffee before my vigorous exercise. I really hate it when I get stoned and then forget that I was going to head out for a workout immediately. Drugs do that!

Around four or five years ago I first read about interval training, pushing to one's absolute limits of muscle, heart rate, and breathing for a few seconds at a time, and then resting until heart and lungs revert to normal. I try to incorporate six to eight interval exertions in probably two thirds of my 4-6 days a week exercise sessions. Even as my serious arthritis issues make my life more difficult, I feel good and strong, such that I can still push hard for an hour or two on the good days. Can't wait to get on the ebike(pedal-assist, no throttle--you must pedal to move) today for the first time this season. I keep it at the lowest level of assist so that I get a good sweaty workout.

Last edited:

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
Thanks @dman28. Nothing like floating through some Pow, both literally and figuratively!!

@His_Highness & @Polarbearboy you two old farts give me hope!!! At 53 I have been very sedentary over the last 8 years, kids, illness, work etc. I had put my days as an endurance athlete behind me. But now I am determined to get back to at least a fraction of the beast I used to be, lol. But really more than anything I want to make sure I'm keeping up, and laying more foundation, that will keep me active into my 60s and 70s. Kudos to both of you!!!

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
@vapirtoo couldn't make it today, which was disappointing but also a relief because I had not slept well.

But I didn't want to waste such a great riding day inside and did a 25 mile round trip out along the Brooklyn Queens Greenway to the far end of Alley Pond Park and visited some relatives nearby.

Nearly ideal conditions, felt strong regardless of lack of sleep.

Top Bottom