Athlete Vaporists?

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
wrist based monitoring is the way to go, much more convenient, and if you wear it the whole time, the amount of data harvested is something else.
Yeah, it's absolutely awesome – I love Garmins Forerunner-series as well, switched from an old, but trusty FR 35 to a FR 245 Music last year. Doesn't have maps, but breadcrumb navigation, one of my favorite features because it lets me explore the city without getting lost (mostly...). I also love having some smart features without having to wear a smart watch. The whole Garmin ecosystem is just fantastic.

Be aware though that wrist based heart rate monitoring is often very limited in its accuracy; it works well during the day or when tracking our sleep, but often fails when exercising and thus might fuck up your heart rate zones – for me personally it's not usable while running at all and I recommend crosstesting it with a dedicated HR monitor. I don't like those HR monitor straps your wear around your chest, so I rely on a optical monitor that can sit on your biceps or forearm (= less movement compared to the wrist → more accuracy).

---

The holidays gave me some new shoes, amongst others the adidas Adios 6 – first run was meant to be a test run of about ten miles, turned out to be my second fastest half marathon (1:36:13). The day after I got my booster shot, yet only three days later I did my second HM for the week, missed my current PR by only a few seconds (1:35:30) [these are „elapsed times“ including traffic light stops etc., moving times were 1:34:00 / 1:32:58]. Such an engaging, fun and *fast* shoe.

4my6zfSAK7ycyGpYfVfuE-viJ-JH8fbssUEiUSfVSGQ-2048x1009.jpg

Last edited:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
2 hours to Prospect Park and back yesterday in the sub 20 degree conditions.

My gear held up well, neoprene is a life saver. Not too windy, which helps a lot.

Only chink the armor was my sneakers with double socks. Was starting to feel frostbite on my left big toe and toe next to it just as I was finishing the ride. Should have worn my low top hiking sneaker boot things.

When it comes to cycling in 4 seasons, it's all about compounding factors. One challenging element is rather easily dealt with. Start combining elements and the difficulty starts to rise exponentially. Hot, Cold, Rain, Wind, Snow, and Ice. Mix and match to pick your poison.

Just cold? No problem.

Cold and windy? Death slog.

Just windy? No problem.

Wind and rain? Dangerous grind fest.

How about cold, windy, raining, with pitted ice in the lanes? Wanna go for a ride? :lol:

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
I'm a lifestyle martial artist. I literally live in a tiny off grid cabin at tbe top of a mountain you have to walk to get to. Ive been training and teaching for over 50 years. Consumption of herb makes everything from meditation to edged weapons drills more alive. Vaping greatly increased my endurance vs smoking joints or the bong. I have also noted students who indulge in herb usally learn faster and progress further than students who dont smoke. Now maaaybe I spend more time and thus attention on the classes where we take regular herb breaks but there is no question it improves body feel and skin listening during drills.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
I'm a lifestyle martial artist. I literally live in a tiny off grid cabin at tbe top of a mountain you have to walk to get to. Ive been training and teaching for over 50 years.
Very cool! I have been kicking around (snicker) the idea of Muay Thai for myself.

When my brother was 10 years old I showed him the 36 chambers of the Shaolin.

He is now an instructor in multiple forms of striking and grappling and is a star pupil in Dan Inosantos school. He also enjoys cannabis.

I also know the owner of NY Combat Sambo, but alas he does not partake. If his school wasn't so far away from me I would likely look to train with him as they offer kick boxing alongside the Sambo.

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
Do any of you guys practice MMA or any other martial art forms?

If so, how do you feel a Cannabis buzz affects the different aspects? I feel like being buzzed might work well with BJJ, since being loose, relaxed, and creative, are all beneficial. I'm not as sure that it helps with striking, since there's a lot of fast reflex and muscle memory involved, and I don't think it would help much with wrestling, since it's so physically demanding.

Also, regardless of whether or not being buzzed works well with martial arts performance, I do believe that Cannabis helps mitigate any concussive brain damage that one may experience from fighting.

To a degree everyone responds differently to being lifted during training. The only time it can be hindrance in my experience is when people exceed thier limit and it inhibits thier ability to grasp a new concept. Striking exercises, sparring, ground work, energy sensing drills are all enhanced as is the ability to find and follow the flow of the interaction with an opponent. I find it is invaluable to teaching and practicing high level internal forms as well as Iron Palm due to the ability to focus on your body when high.

The relaxation and lessoning of the ego are why things like Temple balls and Drunken boxing were common among warrior monks.

Very cool! I have been kicking around (snicker) the idea of Muay Thai for myself.

He is now an instructor in multiple forms of striking and grappling and is a star pupil in Dan Inosantos school. He also enjoys cannabis.

I also know the owner of NY Combat Sambo, but alas he does not partake. If his school wasn't so far away from me I would likely look to train with him as they offer kick boxing alongside the Sambo.

One of tbe best Kung Fu flicks ever! It likely started many martial artists on thier journey. Dan runs one of the best FMA/Silat schools anywhere, have your brother teach you Hobud it will change your life. It will take him an hour... You will have a blast.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
have your brother teach you Hobud
Hah ok I texted him about it, thanks.

Late night in the 90's when I was a shiftless teen I would stay up late ripping bong hits watching Pride and K-1 kick boxing on MSG. Eventually also renting the first UFC VHS tapes from Blockbuster.

I became a big fan of Ernesto Hoost, Mark Hunt, Bas Ruten, Sakuraba, Fedor, Crocop... the golden roid rage years.

One day maybe I'll be less of an armchair fan.

EverythingsHazy

To a degree everyone responds differently to being lifted during training. The only time it can be hindrance in my experience is when people exceed thier limit and it inhibits thier ability to grasp a new concept. Striking exercises, sparring, ground work, energy sensing drills are all enhanced as is the ability to find and follow the flow of the interaction with an opponent. I find it is invaluable to teaching and practicing high level internal forms as well as Iron Palm due to the ability to focus on your body when high.

The relaxation and lessoning of the ego are why things like Temple balls and Drunken boxing were common among warrior monks.
I've never practiced any of the more traditional, eastern martial arts which focus on energy flow and mindfulness, but I can definitely see how Cannabis could lend itself well to such forms of training.
One day maybe I'll be less of an armchair fan.
BJJ is a great entry into martial arts, and it doesn't take much physical prowess to have a lot of fun! If you're physically capable, I'd definitely recommend doing a few trial classes at some of your local gyms.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
BJJ is a great entry into martial arts, and it doesn't take much physical prowess to have a lot of fun! If you're physically capable, I'd definitely recommend doing a few trial classes at some of your local gyms.
Thanks, yeah BJJ is truly one of the best forms of grappling/submission. "Never let a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu." :lol:

If I were to go to a grappling/submission form I think Sambo or Catch Wrestling is more my style though.

@MilesHigh my brother RE: Hobud

"It's a good basis for a lot of handfighting and control and yeah I could probably teach you that in an hour, probably less unless we do ALL the variations.....
It's one of those low intensity things you could teach a lot of people cause it doesn't overtly make them uncomfortable
[4:20 PM]
The way getting punches and kicks thrown at you is going to make most people quite uncomfortable

Very few if anything in martial arts can really be taught in bite size fashion, repetition is mandatory as is pressure testing IE Sparring etc"

Last edited:

EverythingsHazy

Thanks, yeah BJJ is truly one of the best forms of grappling/submission. "Never let a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu."
"Never let a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu." lmaoooo :lol:
If I were to go to a grappling/submission form I think Sambo or Catch Wrestling is more my style though.

Nice! Those are great for self-defense, as well. Very intense. Anyone who knows how to grapple decently can maul the average person in a fight, with ease.

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
Thanks, yeah BJJ is truly one of the best forms of grappling/submission. "Never let a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu." :lol:

@MilesHigh my brother RE: Hobud

"It's a good basis for a lot of handfighting and control and yeah I could probably teach you that in an hour, probably less unless we do ALL the variations.....
It's one of those low intensity things you could teach a lot of people cause it doesn't overtly make them uncomfortable
[4:20 PM]
The way getting punches and kicks thrown at you is going to make most people quite uncomfortable

Very few if anything in martial arts can really be taught in bite size fashion, repetition is mandatory as is pressure testing IE Sparring etc"

Hubad can be empty hand, knife, stick, frying pan or crowbar, its a motion base. Once you understand it, it also teaches standing grappling, base disruptions and throws. You can have a machete coming at your head, counter with an eye jab, immobilize the machete and strike with your own weapon in about one second. This flow goes back and forth yet it is still a basic drill. We even run it with a blindfold. Its the only drill with actual combative applications hidden in the flow, you just have to know where they fit. Its also what Bruce Lee called an energy sensing exercise.

Just a taste of the flavor....

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Hubad can be empty hand, knife, stick, frying pan or crowbar, its a motion base. Once you understand it, it also teaches standing grappling, base disruptions and throws. You can have a machete coming at your head, counter with an eye jab, immobilize the machete and strike with your own weapon in about one second. This flow goes back and forth yet it is still a basic drill. We even run it with a blindfold. Its the only drill with actual combative applications hidden in the flow, you just have to know where they fit. Its also what Bruce Lee called an energy sensing exercise.

Just a taste of the flavor....

Very cool stuff. I would love to be a fly on the wall while you and my brother talked martial arts!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today the temps were about 20f with wind chill bringing it down to 10f in places.

I rode with all my best cold gear save for my boots and rain pants which are mostly needed in only the worst cold and wet days. The gear held up really well for the 1.5 hour ride. Waterproof cold weather fishing gloves on hands. Neoprene tube around midsection, neoprene shorts, 2 thermal base layers on legs, with a pair of shorts on top, 2 long sleeve thermal layers on top, one more microfiber layer on top, and 1 long sleeve cotton shirt and 1 short sleeve cotton shirt for wicking, encased in a windproof barrier layer. Neoprene ski mask, microfiber balaclava over that, windproof mountaineering hat, all held together with my helmet.

It was so cold that when I tried holding the metal parts of my handlebars I could feel the cold seeping through the fishing gloves rapidly.

When I got in and pulled off the balaclava, I found the bottom of the microfiber balaclava had frozen solid around my throat.

This is what a real cyclist look like. It's a mode of transportation for an ideal lifestyle in synch with mind, body, and planet.

Casual roadies riding corporate money bikes need to stay the fuck out of my way.

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Casual roadies riding corporate money bikes need to stay the fuck out of my way.

Hope it's okay to ask – is that a common mindset for cyclists? It seems to me that cyclist are often very egocentric when exercising, to the point where it's actually dangerous for others (for example poor joggers like me...). I know your comment was with tongue in cheek (I hope...), but it does match quite a bit with my experiences with cyclists (driving at high speeds on sidewalks, ignoring traffic lights etc.). That is *not* being in sync with the planet (= your surroundings).

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Hope it's okay to ask – is that a common mindset for cyclists? It seems to me that cyclist are often very egocentric when exercising, to the point where it's actually dangerous for others (for example poor joggers like me...). I know your comment was with tongue in cheek (I hope...), but it does match quite a bit with my experiences with cyclists (driving at high speeds on sidewalks, ignoring traffic lights etc.). That is *not* being in sync with the planet (= your surroundings).
What you're sensing from me is the resentment towards road cyclists who get all the credit for being "serious" riders. This culture was created by corporate bike manufacturers to increase profits. But these guys are nowhere to be found when there's a little bit of bad weather. I am a very proud yet safe all weather cyclist who admittedly already has a substantial ego...

I am also a casual student of cycling history: Pre-WW2 there was a cycling boom for all people. Average people around the world fell in love with cycling for transport and leisure. Touring bikes and bike tour vacations were all the rage. I would not be surprised if the public camping cabins you have along the Radwegs in Germany are a remnant of this time.

In the decades after the war, corporations found there was much more money to be made designing road bikes made for racing. They then made a concerted effort to push average people onto road bikes to gain larger profits. This spawned a culture of weight shaving, spandex, clipless pedals, and other things that make cycling less accessible to the average person and reduced the development and encouragement for utilitarian cycling culture.

Furthermore car culture has relegated bikes to being perceived as a toy instead of transport. Now people feel pressured to spend thousands of dollars on a bike that breaks their lower back, reduces their ability to see the scenery around them, and constantly requires costly upgrades to keep up with developments. None of this is at all necessary unless you are seriously competitive and ride at least 600+ miles a month.

Most people absolutely do not need a road bike, especially in an urban environment where they ride -10 miles a day. In fact, nobody needs a road bike for a ride less than 100km ride, IMO. I join 100 mile organized rides and see many many average cyclists on road bikes whom I can ride circles around. I raced a woman half my weight in full time trial gear between rest areas and won on a 20lb hybrid bike, no aero, no clips. Her kit was likely at least 5x more expensive (and infinitely less comfortable), you could see her frustration at how fast I was.

Personally I am an incredibly safe cyclist. My cycling hierarchy is Safety > Comfort > Speed. Ask @vapirtoo - I slowed and stopped for lights he would have rode right through, to his partial frustration. I follow the rules of the road similarly to how a car should. In 12 years I've never been hit by a car or broken a bone. I chastise other cyclists for being unsafe often. I win my "race" by getting home uninjured. I sometimes race others for fun, or to test myself, *see also that ego I mentioned... I also do many good deeds from my bike, like helping the elderly, or other cyclists when they break down. People who blow lights and ride on sidewalks deserve your derision.

When I ride in Amsterdam it's like coming home. Every body speaks bike. Eye contact at intersections. Obeying lights. Sensible cycling gear on purpose made bikes.

In the last couple years I've seen less joggers running in my bike lanes, so that's nice. I think the increase in riders and the advent of more dangerous e-bikes has pushed them out of my lanes. And stay out! :lol:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Thanks @VapeEscapist that was actually super insightful!

I hope my comment didn't appear to be overly confrontative, it's just sometimes a bit frustrating to live with cyclists in a city that (like most cities) had a strong focus on cars for many decades and thus isn't able to give cyclists the space they need. That does slowly change nowadays (at least here in Berlin, where bikes become more and more popular), but it's a huge city and therefore it will take time. In the meantime cyclists just ignore every rule in order to get *some* use out of their bike, which I kinda understand, but makes me have to look out for them all the time (not only when running). I had some serious incidents with cyclists and am always impressed by their ignorance when being confronted even by basic facts like that they are not allowed to ride on the sidewalk. I live in a street with several restaurants, ice cafés, bars etc. which will have an extensive outdoor area in the summer on the sidewalk, also the sidewalk is actually in a very bad condition and in the daytime it's also often very busy in general, yet cyclists speed through it as if it's an Autobahn.

See what this does? It makes me talk like a grumpy old man. Gulp! :-)

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
It makes me talk like a grumpy old man.
I get it, 100%. People don't appreciate the danger most vehicles represent, including bikes. Apparently Paris's bike boom has created a similarly belligerent culture and here in NYC it's the chief complaint about cyclists from pedestrians.

People have always been reckless, careless, oblivious, and distracted, but these days there's a combination of factors at play here.

1: The concept of following rules, any rules, is greatly eroded.

2: Smart phones reduce patience. This I cannot stress enough and is almost never discussed. The instant gratification that these devices provide has reduced peoples patience enormously.

3: Smart phones encourage narcissism. Why should I wait for the green light? I'm far too important.

4: The "It won't happen to me.", syndrome. Fatal bike accidents are only for those other people.

5: There's also the perception that they're only risking their own safety and not that of anyone they might run into.

All of this gives guys like me a bad name.

Pedestrians and motorists often see reckless cyclists as "breaking the social contract" with their behavior and this then becomes an us versus them mentality rather than trying to look for a solution for all, like infrastructure improvements.

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@VapeEscapist – Yeah, I totally agree. While I am angry at bikers who expect me to make way for them every time, I always remember that the culprit is the lack of biking infrastructure. I actually *wish* there were more cyclists (instead of cars) and that they had the bikeways and traffic rules they need so that bikes can be a bigger part of how we move in a city. I also agree that the smartphone culture has decreased the general amount of empathy when interacting with each other.

Elku

If you can I highly recommend seeing how low of a temp you can get away with vaping. A lot of days I vape at 140c. Love the effects and the lower you go the less lung fuckery you get. Obviously you'll have to find that sweet spot but it's worth it to me. I just use a little more material.

Vaping at higher temperatures has a small but noticeable negative effect on my cardio. The temps I'm at now make zero difference. And at weekends I'll crank it up a little but not much.

checkyourlibido

Sambo Steve! Seems like a really great guy. I've DM'd him a bit, but never face to face. I really wanted to train there, but I have immune system issues, so I haven't reached out. Stupid COVID. I did go in to do a little BJJ elsewhere, I'm really out of practice and horrible at grappling now, lol.

Yeah, Combat Sambo would be my #1 choice for training. Burmese Boxing is cool AF, but it's much easier to find someone proficient with Muay Thai.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Sambo Steve! Seems like a really great guy. I've DM'd him a bit, but never face to face. I really wanted to train there, but I have immune system issues, so I haven't reached out. Stupid COVID. I did go in to do a little BJJ elsewhere, I'm really out of practice and horrible at grappling now, lol.

Yeah, Combat Sambo would be my #1 choice for training. Burmese Boxing is cool AF, but it's much easier to find someone proficient with Muay Thai.
Yes indeed. I have these insane bicycle legs. Doctors and nurses marvel at them lol - My hands would just be a distraction for the kick-that-won't-matter-if-you-block-it that's coming. With some practice I could probably throw kicks like most people throw punches? Cycling also gave me remarkable balance, and superior body control. (I can trackstand on almost any surface)

Steve is as authentic as they come and a real salt of the earth kind of guy. He does high level stunt work as well. He did a lot to get MMA legalized here in NYC and then got very little credit/recognition for it. So I think this caused him to step away from MMA in general.

Last time I spoke to him about his gym he said he redesigned around pretty strict Covid protocols. Something like even enclosed stations for each student. This was a while ago. If his gym weren't so difficult to get to from my area, I would likely go there. I have a couple decent Muay Thai places here but the one I liked had almost no Covid measures in place I could see. I still may choose to go to NYCS when things warm up.

ugotmale

Not sure this is the correct place to post this news, but I am sure many of the players are using the latest technology to deliver their preferred cannabinoids :clap:

"One reason is the [DEA] scheduling of cannabis makes it harder to do this research, but the main reason is that stakeholders really aren't interested in advancing the science," Hill told the AP. "You have states and companies that are making a lot of money selling cannabis products, selling CBD products right now. So they don't feel the need to prove the efficacy of these products, and millions of people are using them. So that's the predicament that we're in as health care professionals or organizations that really care about the health and safety of our constituents, the players in this case.

"We really want to know, do they work? And every day I meet with patients who are interested in cannabinoids, and it's the same thing -- we really don't know the answers to that. So it becomes a very complicated risk/benefit discussion. So I'm thrilled to be a part of something that actually is going to get toward finding some answers to the questions that everybody's been talking about for years."

Last edited:

GetLeft

Due to life circmstances I dropped my exercise routine completely around 4 or 5 months ago. Wanna get on the slopes soon so went to the gym Tuesday and again today for some very basic exercise (sit ups, bench press, squats, cardio on an eliptical).

After the squats I felt chest tightness both the other day and today. It wasn't debilitating but I don't recall the feeling from before. It didn't start until each set was done and resolved within a minute or so. Nothng other than the chest tightness. No other aspect of my workout, including a fairly strenuous go on the eliptical, caused any discmpfort that I didn't recognize as simple conditioning pains. I'm a bit concerned as a recent blood test showed high cholesterol. I scheduled one of those life line screenings to see what kind of blockages I might have if any. Don't wanna go on statins but might have to I guess. If I make it long enough : )

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
I think about people who live in far more harsh places than I and I am in awe of what they do. I would love to do fat tire biking somewhere fluffy but I definitely wouldn't want to live like that.

NYC I would say is "relatively mild", even though we can get well below freezing. There's usually no more than 6-8 real weeks of challenging cold. The hot stretches we had last summer though were incredible. It seemed to be rolling heat waves for nearly 3 months.

After this weekend it seems things are warming up quite a bit for a whole week. I think the Groundhog might be spreading misinformation. Can't let your guard down in February in NY though.

When I think my life sucks out there, I think of this unfortunate man.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Here in Germany temperatures have been pretty mild compared to the last two winters, mostly above freezing point – although that can be a challenge too; a few weeks ago we had some heavy snowfalls with temps right *above* the freezing point, so when I was running, my route was basically a thick layer of slushy, wet snow. What is new this year are those extremely strong winds all the time!

However, I used to struggle much more in hot weather than in cold. The „no days off“ mentality I follow since last year has taught me that we can adapt to pretty much any weather. It's amazing how much we can achieve by being mindful about hydration and nutrition and choosing the right gear too. The cool thing is that getting out of our comfort zones eventually *increases* our comfort zones.

Top Bottom