• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Athlete Vaporists?

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
How are your feet??

While we're on the subject of exercise equipment....I've had good luck experimenting with interest in different machines by waiting 2-3 months after Christmas to start looking for exercise equipment that have become clothing hangers. Picked up a expensive Schwinn elliptical for half and then after we decided it wasn't for us sold it for a profit.
my feet are fine ... i should have mentioned the NordicTrack is the Pro cross country ski machine - zero impact machine. i gave up road running several decades ago to spare my knees.

we have an elliptical but i don't like it or use it - well, i used it about 20 years ago for a while when i came down with asthma - once i cleared that i was back on the NT. i find i get a better workout on the NT.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
....I was riding with significant injuries most of the summer myself. Some may have been my fault, some maybe age (mid forties) catching up to me.

We're always so good at telling others to rest or PT or do therapies but often neglect ourselves. The amazing thing about cycling is that it's still really sustainable even through some serious injuries.

My injuries did finally heal but my bike continues to be a money pit. I'm pretty sure I need entire new hydraulic brakes system, hooray!

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Still doing all day workouts here, hardly any running but a hell of a lot of climbing and heavy lifting all day.

It's leaving me absolutely exhausted with little energy for anything else other than the essentials but...

Loving it... it's starting to tone up parts of me I didn't know existed hehe ... hope everyone is doing well :)

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Tomorrow looks like the last real cherry day for my 50 mile loop, including the northerly winds to carry me home, but....

I had my covid booster today. Not feeling side effects, yet. My second shot hit me hard so I'm worried I will be laid up again.

Maybe I'll get my gear together and if I feel ok in the morning, I'll just dewit. I dunno, my arm is starting to feel funny.... *sigh* I missed some of the best of the Fall riding his year. I'm hoping the Winter isn't as harsh as they're forecasting but there's usually +-8 weeks of suck per year in NYC.

^From my archives, Nov 2019, view from Pulaski bridge.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@VapeEscapist – Be careful... Your body needs some time and energy to train your immune system once more.

---

Hooray, I signed up for my first running event – and it will be an ultra race! :-) Well, at least potentially. It's called a „backyard ultra“, which is a concept created by the same guy that also created the „Barkley Marathons“. The rules are simple: run a (in this case) 6.66 kilometer / ~4.13 miles loop within one hour. If you succeeded in doing so, you gain the right to run the next 6.66km. Subsequent loops will start at the full hour, so you can run slow to save energy for the following loop or run fast, giving you more time to recover until the next loop starts. The races go on until one runner remains, the winner. So this is of course a test of stamina, but also demands lots of tactical thinking. For example a 6.66 km course in one hour would be about half as fast as my comfy pace, which will give me lots of rest time, however, my pace will go down with each new loop, although ideally the breaks in latter loops should be longer. How do I do that? :-) The more I think of it, the more complicated it gets. Another thing is: the whole event is organized by my brother. My *big* brother I should say, so I'm excited to see how our genetic rivalry affects the race. Harr harr. The race will take place in May or April, so I have lots of time to come up with a plan. I am a bit scared too. :-)

vapirtoo

This is kind of intriguing for an Ultra event!
How many hours are you prepared to go for?
The winner could easily clock in plus 60 miles.
That would be 10 hours for the event?

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@vapirtoo – I agree, it's a cool idea. So simple, yet cruel („It's easy until it's not.“).

I'm not prepared for any number of laps, I honestly have no idea what I'm going for. Anyone finishing less than six loops will be considered „DNF“, so that's the number I will want to make at least, although 6 x 6.66km = 39.96km / 24.85 miles, that's almost 15km / 9.32 miles more than the longest run I did so far. I will have to do some test runs to see how I can cope with running a long distance with hourly breaks to make up my mind about the maximum I might go for. There are so many aspects to consider and the style of the race goes totally against my grain, which makes it extra interesting. Will keep you guys updated. :-)

Edit – here are the full rules:

Complete Rules: (This race is not testing raw speed, it is testing 3 other things: endurance, mental fortitude and organisational skills. The rules reflect that.)
1. THE RACE: Run one 6.66k Devil's Loop every hour starting at 9:30, touching the gate at the start after completing a full loop within 60 minutes qualifies you for the next loop. Rinse, repeat.
2. PACE is insignificant. You can run this at 9:00 pace and continue right on your next loop, or pick Kipchoge's marathon pace (2:50 min/km) and have 41 minutes to recover between loops.
3. FINISH: There is no real end to this race, you run till you are done. Anyone running less than 6 loops is a DNF. Anyone running 6+ loops has officially finished the "Erna-Paschulke-Walking Championships", anyone running more than 10 loops (66,666k) has mastered the LIMBO stage of the race and has qualified for the INFERNO stage which only ends when the field of participants is down to one runner aka the winner.
4. ASSISTANCE: You are not allowed any assistance on the loop, you can also not be accompanied by friends or family. It is you and the Loop. However, if you see a participant looking like he/she is in trouble, please assist him/her and at least offer your help. Just running past will lead to disqualification.
In the starting area you can have friends/family helping you, but there is limited space. Isotonic hydration and Coca Cola is available at the start (please bring a personalized 500ml drink bottle) , you can also leave a bag with your supplies. Other than that do not expect amenities, it is part of the challenge to deal with whatever the Loop throws at you.
5. NIGHT: From loop 12 onwards, all participants have to carry a headlamp. It is pitch-dark on the loop.
6. HEALTH: This is a physically demanding event. If you have not had a sports checkup in the last 12 months, consider getting one, please. Please leave a number of a contact person with us in case you start feeling unwell. Depending on the coronastate of the nation in May appropriate hygene measures will be introduced (i.e. wearing masks where keeping a distance is not possible, 2G/3G).
7. LITTERING: Refrain from throwing empty gel sachets etc. into the forest. This is a nature reserve, littering will lead to disqualification.

Last edited:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
„Barkley Marathons“
This stuff is super hardcore, wild shit, man. Blood and guts. I saw this movie, and haven't looked at running the same since, lol.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2400291/

I do my respectable century on a bike, that's enough grind for me!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chasqui

The chasquis (also chaskis) were the messengers of the Inca empire. Agile, highly trained and physically fit, they were in charge of carrying the quipus, messages and gifts, up to 240 km per day through the chasquis relay system.[1] Chasquis were not just messengers (those were young boys who were just used to pass along basic information);[1] the chasquis were trained to be able to read and translate the quipus to each other and higher authorities.[2] Not only were they used to transport oral messages, but they also helped the inspector general, the Sapa Inka's brother, keep track of the people in the empire.[3] Chasquis were chosen from the fittest young males and were known to be the fastest runners.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
This stuff is super hardcore, wild shit, man. Blood and guts. I saw this movie, and haven't looked at running the same since, lol.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2400291/
Yeah, the ultra scene is pretty dedicated. Didn't know that movie, will try to check it out, thx! Here's another Barkley feature by the GingerRunner, who made some excellent documentaries: → Where Dreams Go To Die. I try not to spoiler too much, but the end is a bit heartbreaking. And while I totally admire this dedication and also that freakish vibe the ultra scene has, it is often a bit too much drama and a bit too much hunting for the extremes for me, at least in the case of Barkley. As a city runner a marathon or half marathon etc. event just feels a bit closer to my mind and heart. This year I saw the Vienna Marathon live, which was super cool and sad at the same time; one runner died, I saw multiple other runners collapsing due to the heat (there's a section of the course with no shade that goes on forever and while it was pretty warm that day, it was even more humid), the initial winner was disqualified because of wearing a shoe with too much stack height (oops). And yet there was also so much good atmo too (me and my girlfriend tried to see as many spots on the course as possible and saw the same runner disguised as a devil four times!). Also loved watching Molly Seidel winning bronze in the Japan Olympics, I think it was her third marathon overall. Crazy. Eliud Kipchoge winning his second marathon gold medal while smiling like he's on a fucking jog around the lake. Man.

Middle and South America have an interesting running tradition which I have been exploring a bit lately too; the Raramuris & the Tarahumara are two tribes (Mexican I think) who also have a century old running history that is kept alive until today.

el sargantano

Middle and South America have an interesting running tradition which I have been exploring a bit lately too; the Raramuris & the Tarahumara are two tribes (Mexican I think) who also have a century old running history that is kept alive until today.
Indeed!
Lorena Ramirez from the Rarámuri people used to race internationally in recycled pneumatic flipflop soles.
Specially Rarámuri women are famous for running long distances.
And Douae Ouboukir from Moroccan origin won some catalan cross championships (2 at least) while running barefoot.
I wish I could run like these girls, but I just don't dare. Full respect!

Last edited:

CANtalk

I've been interested in coverage of ultradistance and mixed athletic endurance events for some years now. I recommend checking out the older TV show Boundless. It follows a small group of athletes over three seasons undertaking various ultra events around the word. It began in 2013 and the show finds its groove pretty quickly. Lots of exotic locations, etc. I've seen it available on streaming services (Apple, Netflix) and it's been playing on the ABC network too.

e.g.,

:peace: :leaf:

CANtalk,

Cannabiker

I just finished a book I believe will be popular on this thread, "Runner's High--How a Movement of Cannabis-Fueled Athletes is Changing the Science of Sports". It's like a book-length post here, because author Josiah Hesse is a fellow cannabis enthusiast. For a weed journalist and enthusiast his knowledge base sometimes feels a little limited, like when he refers to the "little hairs" on a bud as terpenes, and he basically ignores dry herb vaping in favor of edibles, but otherwise it's great to read a book by someone who embraces weed rather than looking at it with journalistic detachment. He does wander off topic occasionally, getting off into the weeds of history and politics, but that shouldn't be too troubling for anyone who spends time here.

I'd give it at least four buds out of five.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha

50 miles, 4 hours. Maybe 30 minute stop time altogether. A little cool but wind was only 10mph max and few cyclists were in the paths. Just a few of the more dedicated looking road bikers and some grizzled old dudes on hybrids/mountain bikes.

Followed a road biker over the Marine Parkway bridge and then ran into him again before the Jamaica preserve.

He said, "Good effort over that bridge in that headwind!". For which I thanked him. "I was pushing 500 watts and you were pacing me." I said I guess I was pushing 600. "On that bike, with that gear? Much more." he said. I tried to hang with him the rest of the way North but he pulled out about a quarter mile ahead and I couldn't quite catch him. I could still see him about 2 avenues up when pulled off Woodhaven and I continued North.

Near Forest Hills I met up with a young lady on a beater bike with a backpack full of something on her back, just as we were about to climb a good size hill. She's pumping tunes from a mini speaker (like myself) and without a word, but wearing a big grin on her face, she proceeded to try to out sprint me up the hill. I found this very endearing and grinned back as I paced her and then gently passed her at the crest. I was hoping she was continuing on to Elmhurst with me but then she turned away.

vapirtoo

HaHa
I also was out riding with a friend around Shirley Chisholm park this morning around 9:30.
We had vaped some cherry pie, and then rode for about 10 miles. The slow pace had me freezing
as well as the fold up bikes he had me try out.
All good, I finally got on my bike and spun home building a fire in my metabolism that made
me feel great!
Next time I will dress according to the fitness level of my friend.
I could be nude riding with VapeEscapist's pace. LOL

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Hooray, I signed up for my first running event – and it will be an ultra race! :-)

Tested the „Devil's Loop“ with my brother yesterday – it's beautiful, a bit grim (when it's dark), but still beautiful. The first half is comfy to run, the second half is a bit tricky though, very soft and sandy, lots of crotches, stones and narrow pathways, so it needs quite a bit of focus. One loop felt good, not sure how good six or ten will feel. :-)

JOHN GALT

Mike Tyson Malawi Cannabis Ambassador​

Malawi has asked boxing star Mike Tyson to become the official ambassador for the country's cannabis crop.
Agriculture Minister Lobin Low sent a letter to Tyson inviting him to take up the role, and said legalisation in Malawi had created new opportunities.

Nina

Cold and lonely, no problems.
the best thing about winter, only us die hards are out there✊
Having said that I tend to drop cycling in favour of running in the winter, I just cant keep warm on a bike, whereas the opportunity to feel a bit cold when running (after struggling with being too hot in the summer) is always welcome.
I defer to you die hard bikers:rockon:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
I just cant keep warm on a bike
It's a real challenge for sure. Keeping my midsection from freezing as the wind blasts into it might be the worst of them all.

https://www.amazon.com/Valentina-Neoprene-Slimming-Shapewear-Abdominal/dp/B07V3KFTXV

I bought this for the worst days. Advertised as a slimming athletic accessory (because it makes you hot) it's simply a neoprene tube. This works well for me on the sub freezing days. I bought a pair of shorts to match and that combo along with my usual layers, and ski masks, makes -20 possible for about 2 hours. I also always bring a thermos of hot tea and drink that midway into a ride of that length. In NYC, knowing the bike friendly bodegas where you can get a hot cocoa etc can be a life saver as well.

Glad to hear you stay active in the winter months. It's a great way to help stave off the winter doldrums and to build up your tolerance to exposure and make you more rugged for years to come. 💪

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
the best thing about winter, only us die hards are out there✊
Having said that I tend to drop cycling in favour of running in the winter, I just cant keep warm on a bike, whereas the opportunity to feel a bit cold when running (after struggling with being too hot in the summer) is always welcome.
I defer to you die hard bikers:rockon:

I agree – bikers in the winter leave me speechless. How do they even survive?

Choosing the right gear is not easy when temps are going down. I also tend to overheat and while in summer that just means that I try to clothe as minimal as possible and always carry some hydration (and I do enjoy hot weather much more than a few years ago), I have to be very mindful in the winter cause too much sweat can cause lotsa issues. The tricky part is that my brain still wants to convince me that I need one more layer, while my body knows that it is enough. So before I turn the door knob it's always a bit of a fight, as soon as I step outside, I know it will be okay. Might take 5 minutes of a warm up sometimes to make up my mind about it. :-)

I rely a lot on brands that have a history in winter sports and / or trail running like Craft, La Sportiva, Odlo or Raidlight. Their gear works fantastic in those really grim conditions without making me feel heavy or overheated.

Nina

it's always a bit of a fight
I can relate! 'noooo, I cant possibly, I will surely die of exposure'🥶
I have a security blanket in the form of a very light waterproof jacket which folds up tiny, I think of it as my mithril coat, it gets me outta the door!
I bought this for the worst days
good call! with me it's hands and feet, mostly feet, I tried neoprene socks, still not enough!

Last edited:
Top Bottom