Athlete Vaporists?

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Excellent - well I will just wish you the very best and hope you are back to it soon!!!

Yes, it's a bit different here as the ground is so uneven and troublesome, I am unsure if there is going to be enough light to do it without a torch!

edit: I went immediately after writing this, so daylight today! Feel a bit tired to be honest. May be a rest day tomorrow :)

Last edited:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
About 35 miles today I think. Met a friend on with his e-wheel this afternoon and crossed the GWB to find that Henry Hudson drive is still be refurbished after the floods and was closed. Ended up just rolling around Randalls with him before returning home from lunch.

Later this evening I decided to climb over to Randalls again for some full moon riding mostly free of traffic...

EverythingsHazy

...If you feel like you need to start breathing through your mouth, he suggests slowing down. He says that eventually, you will adapt and be able to push harder while using only nasal breathing. I'm not able to push pretty hard on my bike, and also in MMA training, using my mouth to breathe, only when I absolutely need to.
This was supposed to say, "I'm NOW able to push pretty hard..."

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
bringing in moisture and warmth
My first winter cycling to work I learned a simple neoprene ski mask is absolutely essential for below freezing rides.

It keeps your breath warmer, which keeps the cilia in your lungs functioning properly, and your core warmer as well.

When I rode in Alaska on the Tony Knowles trail and Kincaid Park trails I thought it was warm enough (just over freezing) and I didn't wear one, and gave myself bronchitis! 😞

Edit: I was at the tail end of a cold and the cold air aggravated it into bronchitis.

Last edited:

EverythingsHazy

Also means less swallowed bugs (on bike)!

🤢
LMAO That's always a plus.
Hey Everythinghazy,
Nasal breathing is as important as abdominal breathing. Nitric Oxide is enhanced
by nasal breathing as well as bringing in moisture and warmth.
Nose hairs and sticky mucus filter out all kinds of shit! Boogers!
Yes! Both are very important. The nitric oxide bit is really interesting. It's a shame that so many people miss out on the benefits.

Rinsing out my nasal passages with the saline spray has been working really well, especially after biking and other outdoor activities, where our noses are working on overdrive to deal with allergens and other contaminants.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
We actually pounded the pavement last night!

Easy 5K....Wife power walked and I ran. Did a cool down by walking with the wife as she finished up. Today some strength training and core work. Going to alternate run days and strength this week and then get back to running 4-5 days a week with two days strength/core. If things get boring or I strain something...I'll break out the MTB for cross training.

At least that's the plan. I don't count no chickens until 2 weeks has passed.... I don't remember where I heard this but "2 weeks makes a habit". Over the decades I've found I can kill the trend in a week but it takes me two weeks to re-establish it.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Finally found a little time to look up the Oxygen Advantage!

It looks interesting and I already do some of these things, I have also been to high altitude and cope very well there and... like many here, I am also an ex-smoker which ironically was given as one of the reasons I coped with high-altitude so well. I mean I was walking normally while others were vomiting, having nose bleeds, fainting etc. - real horror show at 1am on the final ascent!

I used to have horrendously permanently blocked nose, which is what started me smoking because it cleared it haha - anyone remember Consulate menthol?

Anyway, I do get into a state where I feel oxygen deprived powering up steep hills - maybe it's worth a read ... so... book ordered! Thanks :tup:

EverythingsHazy

Finally found a little time to look up the Oxygen Advantage!

It looks interesting and I already do some of these things, I have also been to high altitude and cope very well there and... like many here, I am also an ex-smoker which ironically was given as one of the reasons I coped with high-altitude so well. I mean I was walking normally while others were vomiting, having nose bleeds, fainting etc. - real horror show at 1am on the final ascent!

I used to have horrendously permanently blocked nose, which is what started me smoking because it cleared it haha - anyone remember Consulate menthol?

Anyway, I do get into a state where I feel oxygen deprived powering up steep hills - maybe it's worth a read ... so... book ordered! Thanks :tup:
Awesome! Let me know what you think about it. I hope that you can get something useful out of it.

Two others that I really like are "The Wim Hof Method", and "What Doesn't Kill Us", by Wim Hof, and Scott Carney respectively.

I use a mix of the techniques learned from Wim Hof and Patrick McKeown, which I amstill studying and adapting to my lifestyle, and find them both to be very helpful for my overall health, both physically and mentally.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Gross content alert - if you are feeling a little faint, or don't like goo stories... skip this post or stop reading when I say.

==

Well that was weird!!

I just ran 4 miles and tried the nose breathing, in and out.

I always run out and up and back and down - mainly because I don't really have a lot of choice unless I want to head into town (ugh).

I surprised myself with managing maybe 70% nose breathing on the up, on the steeper sections it got quite intense and I could feel my legs getting heavier and heavier, eventually having to gulp in some air through my mouth. Also ended up feeling a little depleted towards the end of the up bit, but... no where near as much as I was expecting.

On the down, well, that was a full 99% nose breathing experience. Zero issues in terms of keeping myself feeling strong and able.

Overall I feel less dehydrated, feel like I have sweated less, and usually by the time I get back I am very ready for a drink and this time I wasn't.

I also felt less tired than I would after a run of that length. If it wasn't for my never ending physical problems I could have run a lot further for sure.

'''

Okay for the gooey bit, - stop reading if you don't want the gory details...

My nose always runs when I run, I figure it's a combination of the wind, the cold, my general daily detox process, whatever... so as you can probably imagine for this run there was so much snot running down my top lip and over my mouth it was kinda ridiculous. A never ending stream of the stuff. When I was breathing heavier it was flying all over the place. It was gross, I did not enjoy this and I am glad I didn't see a single soul, I don't think I want to subject them to the snot nose monster I was on this run!

Is this normal, will it change? Will it stop my nose running when I run in the longer term?

Any comments, suggestions, advice will be gratefully received and warmly welcomed :tup:

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
My nose always runs when I run, I figure it's a combination of the wind, the cold, my general daily detox process, whatever... so as you can probably imagine for this run there was so much snot running down my top lip and over my mouth it was kinda ridiculous. A never ending stream of the stuff. When I was breathing heavier it was flying all over the place. It was gross, I did not enjoy this and I am glad I didn't see a single soul, I don't think I want to subject them to the snot nose monster I was on this run!

Is this normal, will it change? Will it stop my nose running when I run in the lower term?

Any comments, suggestions, advice will be gratefully received and warmly welcomed :tup:
I rarely get through a run where my nose isn't filled with snot at some point. I look around and if nobody is near me I suck the snot from my nose, into my mouth and look for a bush to spit into. I also do the "use a finger to close off one nostril and blow the other nostril out as hard as I can into a bush and repeat". When my wife and kids are with me during a run they hate when I do any of this.

The most important thing about snot propulsion is to look around you before letting it rip.....I wasn't paying attention during a 15K beer run and felt I was running close enough to the curb to let a snot bomb go on the sidewalk....there was someone running on the sidewalk slightly behind me who didn't appreciate it.

One more thing....if you use the one finger nostril closed technique....make sure you don't launch over the shoulder that has your arm band on or you may slime it.

If I'll be noticed by others I wait but I can't remember ever having the snot get into my mustache or beard.

His_Highness,
  • Love
Reactions: kel

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Delightful!!!! Thank you!!!

Yes, under normal circumstances this is what I do too...

...but this was kinda beyond being able to be managed in this way!

I am wondering if the drying effect I get from breathing through my mouth at the back of my throat will now happen with my nose instead, that would be a result and regardless of any performance/health gains a significant enough reason to persevere with the nose breathing on it's own.

vapirtoo

Old coach says,
Maximum effort, breath through your nose, mouth and ears!!!!
The nose breathing is for easy runs and exertion.
My racing days were all abdominal mouth breathing!
I knew a coach that would make his athletes do 100 meter
repeats while holding their breath. WTF
Oh yeah, finger on nostril exhale was great for the
assholes trying to pass me, YUMMM

vapirtoo,
  • Love

EverythingsHazy

When I was breathing heavier it was flying all over the place.

Is this normal, will it change? Will it stop my nose running when I run in the longer term?

When you're really huffing and puffing through your nose, you will expierience a bit of a runny nose, but once you get used to basal breathing, it seems like the issue is mostly water vs mucus, unless it's allergy season. It can help to use a saline rinse prior to exercising, to clear out your nose, and then again, afterwards, to clean out all of the particulate matter that it has to filter during your training outdoors.

I recommend carrying a paper towel or hand towel to wipe your nose, but it isn't usually too bad, for me once my nose clears up. I wonder if part of this is due to the fact that there is less air pressure pushing out whatever is in your nose, when your nasal passages are not inflammed, because there is more room for the air to flow.
I knew a coach that would make his athletes do 100 meter
repeats while holding their breath. WTF
I wonder if he was trying to simulate altitude training, by having the athletes exert themselves with falling O2 levels and rising CO2 levels. That's something mentioned in "The Oxygen Advantage".

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I just seem to instantly start with a runny nose whenever I run, period. I usually have to clear it maybe one of twice a mile in the manner His_Highness so eloquently described :)

The reason I only need to clear that much is because breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth seems to keep it in place enough, breathing out through my nose just turned it into a near constant stream running from my nose onto my upper lip. Every time I breathed out, a little bit more.

Good to know this is something that it does settle somewhat...

I don't have any allergies. At least none I am aware of.

Saline rinse is a good idea... I might give it a try, I will need a neti pot I guess.

The towel is a good idea, but again, I am not sure I am explaining just how much there was hehehehe

Oh... I might have it, it was like instead of sweating normally 80% of my sweat decided to leave via my nose 😂

I can imagine getting 1/4 of the way around my run and just having a heavy cloth full of snot to carry.... eeeeeewwwww!

No idea re. air pressure.

Thank you for your thoughts - I did notice enough of a difference to keep trying it!!

p.s. keeping your mouth closed is necessary when running/breathing this way, just to not be constantly eating snot!

Vape_ninja

I just seem to instantly start with a runny nose whenever I run, period. I usually have to clear it maybe one of twice a mile in the manner His_Highness so eloquently described :)

The reason I only need to clear that much is because breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth seems to keep it in place enough, breathing out through my nose just turned it into a near constant stream running from my nose onto my upper lip. Every time I breathed out, a little bit more.

Good to know this is something that it does settle somewhat...

I don't have any allergies. At least none I am aware of.

Saline rinse is a good idea... I might give it a try, I will need a neti pot I guess.

The towel is a good idea, but again, I am not sure I am explaining just how much there was hehehehe

Oh... I might have it, it was like instead of sweating normally 80% of my sweat decided to leave via my nose 😂

I can imagine getting 1/4 of the way around my run and just having a heavy cloth full of snot to carry.... eeeeeewwwww!

No idea re. air pressure.

Thank you for your thoughts - I did notice enough of a difference to keep trying it!!

p.s. keeping your mouth closed is necessary when running/breathing this way, just to not be constantly eating snot!
do you mind telling us what is the max temperature you go up to and how many g a week you vape

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I use a dynavap and more or less stick to the click, maybe 3.5g a week? I don't really have a clear answer on either of those things though.

Why? What are you thinking?

Vape_ninja

i just wondered if a moderate user who uses only vapes has disadvantages over someone who doesnt vape anything in terms of lung health, for sports

Vape_ninja,

Nina

i just wondered if a moderate user who uses only vapes has disadvantages over someone who doesnt vape anything in terms of lung health, for sports
I've only got myself to go on but I don't think there's much difference.... maybe I ran a bit faster* back before I started vaping....then then again as quite a lot younger🤭
*When I say 'fast' what I really mean is 'not as slowly'🤣

kel

FuckMisogynists!
It's a good point, thanks for bringing it up, but I agree with what Nina and vapirtoo say,

I've had a very mixed life, periods of fairly heavy indulgence and laziness, but also periods of fairly intense exercise. I did what is now called fast hiking and mountain marathons but smoked at the same time. There is definitely a correlation between how much tobacco you smoke and how physically active you can be in the mountains which is proportionally related to the length of time you do it - the years tick by and things start taking their toll - no matter what :D

I quit and started again so many times, simply because I fucking loved a good rollie, I decided to smoke but only when I really wanted to, but it always kept creeping back up.

Now I just vape a bit of cbd a few times a day - win! I have no desire to smoke again - this is a first! Vaping herb, specifically cbd stopped me smoking - not just physically but mentally too, I don't have that nicotine craving, ever. I actually just passed a milestone, 600 days today!

So yeah, it is what it is? I can't imagine how shit I would feel if I still smoked now?

If anything I find a bit of cbd before a run really helps me relax and focus.

I am sure this is a fairly common story, at least some elements, especially with everyone in on this thread?

Back to the nose breathing, I am going to give it a week, see what happens. That's probably 6 or 7 runs, lets see how it goes.

I had a think about the towel. it's great idea; I will take it, but save it for when I am approaching someone so I am not hosing them down with hot jets of nose goo :rofl:

Top Bottom