Athlete Vaporists?

okc0mputer

Mid Hudson River Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie area, A great river for rowing when the tide is right.
training on the 4 man shells this week for this Saturday Regatta, getting pumped up for it and everything fucking hurts in my body from coach pushing us. mind you were only racing a 1500m as a novice crew.
mixed 4 is one race, and a women's 4 in another. 4 man shells are fast AF but trickier to 'set' (balancing) but if the crew is in sync that boat can really Sing!
View attachment 11395
I was asking because I grew up in Poughkeepsie and it kinda brought back memories. I haven't been back in 15-20 years since moving to AZ. Its cold as hell (in my opinion) but I'd kill to have a river like that so close again...

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I had an idiot try to back into me once, on purpose. Stay alert, guys.

On one occasion had someone trying to kick me off my bike from the side door of a moving van - no joke.

Others driving up very close behind me trying to intimidate me into pulling over when there was not enough room for them to pass me safely - I didn't budge - I can't stand bullies and learned a long time ago if you turn around and face off they crumble like dried out cookies - nothing but loser cowards with a big metal box to make them feel big.

These are past life experiences...

Now at the age I am here in 2021 in the UK, I simply avoid it all... I feel so fucking blessed living where I do 🙄

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I've had a passing car throw a couple bottles at me, while yelling "get a vehicle".

I wasn't in their way at all. I was riding in the bike lane.
And my truck was in the driveway at home.

Oh yes, you just reminded me - "Pay some road tax or get off the road" 😂

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
If a group or singular biker is using the road and is following all the road rules then the cars behind them hate how slow they have to go and want them off the road. Alternatively if that same group or singular biker ignores the road rules and moves along faster, then the motorists will get pissed because "they aren't supposed to do that"!

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.......

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Well, I'm livin' my dream. Hauled my ebike to my place in northern most Newfoundland, on the Strait of Belle Isle--I must be one of the first Americans on the island in 22 months. My retirement primary home back in the US is right in the heart of the mountains and the pedal assist emtn bike I got last fall and coverted to a road, gravel, non-severe trails ebike is just my joy there. But I knew I would take it up to my place here, repeatedly picturing the potential experiences in my mind. The hills begin outside my door and never end, and the wind just blows and blows on the nicest days and howls on plenty of others. I'm 73, been an avid biker(and hiker) since my early twenties; still have a lovely Specialized road bike and highish end wonderful 29er. I can still bike, but getting up hills and riding into stiff winds that I fomerly relished has become slow, tedious, and not that good for joints or muscles. Mine is definitely an e powered, wonderfully so, bicycle, not a moped. I run it at the low power assist 90% of the time, medium 9.5% and super test .5%. I love to exercise: This way I can cover some distance and get up hills, without burning my thighs or straining tendons. Still, I push hard enough to work up a sweat and elevate my heart rate for extended periods--Without the exercise, there'd be no fun or joy for me.

The nearest cannabis store is now 300 miles away. Ya, I could still get stuff here, but it doesn't compare to the commercial stuff imho. So a few hours after crossing the border last Tuesday, I stopped at a CannabisNewBrunswick store near the highway that I'd stopped at before. I'd already scoped out their available menu online and being a regular user, I sorted product by potency. I here for three or so months and wanted enough and variety. I got Kolab Project High THC Diamonds(I), Rad Sativa Shatter, Ritual Lemon Haze flower(S), Namaste High THC Spray, and 1gm of Spinach SensiStar. I got the award-winning Atlantic-province-produced Lemon Haze specifically for afternoon biking; the nice cannaclerk thought it was the best sativa that they had.

I arrived on Thursday and I've ridden for an hour or more each day since. I ride from my place to Lanse aux Meadows, location of a National Historic Park as the only confirmed Viking settlement in the Western Hemisphere. The scenery is simply gorgeous, the roads all lined with purple fireweed, islands dotting the sea, and a Northern coolness from the Labrador Current. I've been having issues with both knees and had recent doctors and PT visits for both, but after a professional "fitment" for my still newish bike before I left, I feel super. Still, I haven't been able to get high while biking because I see too many old and good friends, who stop me on the road and who I wave down when I see them go by. And we get to yarnin'. Last year was the first year I'd missed coming up in 22 years. I'm guessing by tomorrow folks(and I) will settle down, lots of them back to work, and then I can fire up ye old Crafty(20% more!) before and during my rides.

Now I've had my ride for the day, feel good, and just got out the bong for the diamonds. And I know I'll ride further and longer. Other than the fact that I've gotten gout and had to mostly give up my lovely microbrews a year ago, I'd say I'm as near to heaven as it gets.

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Well, I'm livin' my dream. Hauled my ebike to my place in northern most Newfoundland, on the Strait of Belle Isle--I must be one of the first Americans on the island in 22 months. My retirement primary home back in the US is right in the heart of the mountains and the pedal assist emtn bike I got last fall and coverted to a road, gravel, non-severe trails ebike is just my joy there. But I knew I would take it up to my place here, repeatedly picturing the potential experiences in my mind. The hills begin outside my door and never end, and the wind just blows and blows on the nicest days and howls on plenty of others. I'm 73, been an avid biker(and hiker) since my early twenties; still have a lovely Specialized road bike and highish end wonderful 29er. I can still bike, but getting up hills and riding into stiff winds that I fomerly relished has become slow, tedious, and not that good for joints or muscles. Mine is definitely an e powered, wonderfully so, bicycle, not a moped. I run it at the low power assist 90% of the time, medium 9.5% and super test .5%. I love to exercise: This way I can cover some distance and get up hills, without burning my thighs or straining tendons. Still, I push hard enough to work up a sweat and elevate my heart rate for extended periods--Without the exercise, there'd be no fun or joy for me.

I'm here for a couple of months and the nearest cannabis store is now 300 miles away. So a few hours after crossing the border last Tuesday, I stopped at a CannabisNewBrunswick store near the highway that I'd stopped at before. I'd already scoped out their available menu online and being a regular user, I sorted product by potency. I got Kolab Project High THC Diamonds(I), Rad Sativa Shatter, Ritual Lemon Haze flower(S), Namaste High THC Spray, and 1gm of Spinach SensiStar. I got the award-winning Atlantic-province-produced Lemon Haze specifically for afternoon biking; the nice cannaclerk thought it was the best sativa that they had.

I arrived on Thursday and I've ridden for an hour or more each day since. I ride from my place to Lanse aux Meadows, location of a National Historic Park as the only confirmed Viking settlement in the Western Hemisphere. The scenery is simply gorgeous, the roads all lined with purple fireweed, islands dotting the sea, and a Northern coolness from the Labrador Current. I've been having issues with both knees and had recent doctors and PT visits for both, but after a professional "fitment" for my still newish bike before I left, I feel super. Still, I haven't been able to get high while biking because I see too many old and good friends, who stop me on the road and who I wave down when I see them go by. And we get to yarnin'. Last year was the first year I'd coming up in 22 years. I'm guessing by tomorrow folks(and I) will settle down, lots of them back to work, and then I can fire up ye old Crafty(20% more!) before and during my rides.

Now I've had my ride for the day, feel good, and just got out the bong for the diamonds. And I know I'll ride further and longer. Other than the fact that I've gotten gout and had to mostly give up my lovely microbrews a year ago, I'd say I'm as near to heaven as it gets.

You sound like an older version of myself, living a very similar life in a sort of similar place! Sounds awesome - enjoy!!!

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
@His_Highness - that's called "breaking the social contract". They see cyclists who flaunt traffic laws as lawless and reckless.

/open book

I don't advocate riding through lights or similar but the fact is, even at top speeds, a mechanical bike won't be fatal in most collisions (and is usually fatal to the rider more) unless the person involved is elderly or somehow infirm. It's a total false equivalency to try to say bikes are even a fraction as dangerous as cars to pedestrians or otherwise. Personally, I try to set an example on the road and often feel drivers respect me more for doing so.

Electric mo(tor)peds are far heavier and generally traveling at higher speeds, which logically = a more dangerous vehicle. Also, a giant disgusting 50lb battery is far from eco-friendly, especially compared to my entire 20 pound aluminum bike. Can you imagine if the citizens of NYC adopted a cycling culture similar to the dutch? Every able bodied person for whom it was reasonable started cycle commuting and using a bike for everyday travel? Our air quality would likely improve overnight. During lockdown the air quality improvement was miraculous.

Meanwhile everyone (including police) drives on their phones (yeah, guarantee most of the cops arent using them in the commission of official business either), which has been proven as dangerous as drunk driving and is illegal in NYC. The homicidal/suicidal driving habits I see in general are astounding. I know a young guy in my neighborhood who drives on his phone, period. Driving time is sitting in a chair phone time, in NYC! After driving with him once I promised myself never again and told him he was an accident waiting to happen. Last year he got in an accident and permanently damaged his hand and back. After he tells me about the accident I asked if he was on his phone when it happened and his face just dropped because he knew he was and actually didn't deny it.

Werner Herzog did a short film about people who killed others because they were on their phones called, "From one second to the next". You can find it on YouTube.

11 years I've commuted, exercised, and used a bike for utilitarian purposes. And oh yes, I have been run off the road by impatient drivers. I was doored twice (once by a tourist and once by a WW2 vet). Right hooked once by a devout Christian who kept citing her religiousness like it excused it her for no reason while I'm dripping blood down my arm. As I was leaving I told her to literally "watch out for aetheists" as a small injection of humor, and she completely took it the wrong way (fucking people).

Have had quite a few people step right out in front of me on their phones with barely a second to spare to stop. One lady who stepped in front of me on her phone near Rockefeller center looked up from her phone at me I said to her, "Nice phone! Now you know where to stick it." A young lady flung her taxi door open once and my front tire stopped just short of the inside door handle. She looked right at me and said in a snobby tone, "Wouldn't of been my fault." And I brayed laughter in her face. In the 1 year since we've had Revel E-scooters (they look like Vespas) I've seen multiple people have serious injurious accidents as well as people riding them on sidewalks, bike lanes, bridge pedestrian paths, and lane splitting on them. In just the last few years I've rolled up on more car accidents that had just happened, including a pedestrian struck by an SUV, than I had in the like 8 years prior. I came upon a car being pulled up onto a flatbed on Manhattan Ave in Brooklyn near a light. I asked the middle aged tow truck driver if he's seen more accidents since the spread of smart phones and without missing a beat he said absolutely.

In 11 years of cycling in all weather in NYC I've seen things. I see so much nutty stuff from my bike on any given day sometimes I forget most of it before I get home. I just want to get home alive. In all that time my experience has been like that of a progression through the levels of a video game. In 2010 smart phones were not ubiquitous, e-bikes were ridden by food delivery guys almost exclusively, Uber/Lyft didn't exist at the scale it is now, and Amazon trucks were not everywhere. Incrementally these elements have been introduced over that time period and made an extremely dangerous cycling environment exponentially more so.

I also have done many good samaritan acts from my bike, as it is much more convenient to stop briefly and help someone from a bike than from a car. Walking the elderly across a busy intersection at night. Pulling a construction cone out from under an elderly ladies car. Administering first aid to a kid that fell off his bike. Helping other cyclists with minor roadside repairs. Reporting a person in medical distress that was being ignored by the rush hour around him. Reporting dangerously intoxicated drivers to police.

This is a lifestyle for me, first and foremost. Most other cyclists are hobbyists. Americans look at bikes like they are toys not transport. I'm on the bridge when the ice is thick or the heat is 100+. My fitness, my carbon footprint, the money I've saved, the experiences and athletic accomplishments, absolutely priceless; and if I die on my bike tomorrow, it has all been worth it.

/close book

@Polarbearboy - I would like to reiterate my feelings towards people of your experience and age transitioning to e-bikes as I think that's what they are intended for. You were a dedicated mechanical cyclist with many accomplishments of your own, until the day came where you wanted to enjoy the ride more without the wear on your already rugged frame. If/when I get to your age, I can imagine making a transition to pedal assist. For people who are older or somehow not physically capable of riding a mechanical bike I totally think e-bikes are great. I mostly take exception with the reckless casual riders on e-bikes (and countless other types of e-mobility) in my bike lanes here in NYC.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
In no way do I advocate that anyone else do this, but I used to know someone who would, while they were stopped at traffic lights, snap off windscreen wipers of busses and other vehicles that are related to a company for their dangerous driving - by this I mean they narrowly escaped death, not just because they were in a bad mood and someone did something a bit silly. They did it quietly and quickly and looked the driver calmly in the eye while doing it, gone in a couple of seconds, the driver unable to do anything because they are stuck in a queue of traffic.

Then... they would phone the number on the van, or the bus company and say "One of your drivers is going to return today with broken windscreen wipers, the reason they are broken is because I snapped them off so that you could identify the dangerous psychopath terrorising other road users and sack them. Obviously it's up to you whether you do this or not, but it could get expensive in replacement windscreen wipers if you don't. I wish you the best of luck. good-bye." without giving them a second to say a single word.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
In no way do I advocate that anyone else do this, but I used to know someone who would, while they were stopped at traffic lights, snap off windscreen wipers of busses and other vehicles that are related to a company for their dangerous driving - by this I mean they narrowly escaped death, not just because they were in a bad mood and someone did something a bit silly. They did it quietly and quickly and looked the driver calmly in the eye while doing it, gone in a couple of seconds, the driver unable to do anything because they are stuck in a queue of traffic.

Then... they would phone the number on the van, or the bus company and say "One of your drivers is going to return today with broken windscreen wipers, the reason they are broken is because I snapped them off so that you could identify the dangerous psychopath terrorising other road users and sack them. Obviously it's up to you whether you do this or not, but it could get expensive in replacement windscreen wipers if you don't. I wish you the best of luck. good-bye." without giving them a second to say a single word.
My hero.

Oh, I have had fantasies....

Pocket full of ball bearings. Glass punch tip installed inside cycling glove.

"Your ticket would cost what a new window or paint touch up would cost.", is the logic.

Pepper spray into the grill's air intake? (Probably gets filtered out and might cause an accident.)

I can dream.

I actually have been riding wit hthe mellowest music possible lately to try to stay zen and it's only mildly effective.

Oh! On a lighter note, I judge the cannabis people smoke in their cars on a scale of 1-10 from my bike.

One time I rolled up on a guy smoking like a 5-6 and said, "You can do better.". :lol:

CANtalk

Still plugging away here. I ended up taking a week off from exercising because of the overexercise mentioned earlier, then I started up again for three strong MTB rides. It was great but I got tired again, so I took another week off. And just back in riding the MTB, did my second ride today and trying to moderate myself. I wasn't even planning to go out but it was a hot day, no wind and I got out in the morning before it warmed up too much. I rode >15 miles and one of the hardcore trails in that... never stopped the entire ride either. ❤️ singletrack mtb trails and getting out in nature on a nice day.

For me, I like a MTB ride with both relaxing trails and challenging trails... it's a nice mix.

Talking about all the ways we like to exercise, I recommend athlete vaporists watch this 90 minute documentary. It's awesome 🌠, about Craig Kelly and called Let it Ride. Much about snowboarding as well, it has lots of great history and guest interviews. I'm not a snowboarder either, and it was still awesome. Very inspiring guy and life. He was really big on getting out in nature. I can really identify with his passion, while mine is directed at MTB riding. Like Craig mentions in the documentary, doing these things are like a microcosm life... they're also freedom, have purity, bring happiness and reward the focus needed when pushing oneself (and losing all distractions), etc.. These things are one of the best ways to live life in the moment. And I very much identify with all of that. Highly recommended for sure. Enjoy.

Hi res version here.

Lower resolution YT video here.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

vapirtoo

Wow VapEscapist,
My hard core bike messenger days were before beepers! YIKES
It was insane back then with only small Vespers and Honda step throughs
for deliveries.
I forgot the time and conditions. In this present environment, to be an
urban daily cyclist in NYC is a daunting task.
I ride for health, shits and giggles; I ride near the beach, around parks and water,
ya know, fun recreation.
Having to ride to work every day in NYC. WOW.

GetLeft

For me, I like a MTB ride with both relaxing trails and challenging trails... it's a nice mix.

Me too! Well, not necessarily 'relaxing' trails just not all up hill. There are always roots and rocks to take the 'relax' out things around here and keep 'focus' as the main component. It takes me @ 2 hrs. to go 10 miles on my favorite trails (almost all in the woods, some trails cross fields, no rail trails or park service roads other than to reach a trail head and that's all up hill). I have to take a fuel break after 5 miles, generally speaking. 'Break' being the operative word. My local 1 - 1.5 hr. ride goes 5-6.5 miles (wouldn't have known that without my fancy wrist computer : ). Mostly up and down with a bit of level-ish riding. If I can fit a few rides in each week I don't complain. But I know the 'riding fatigue' thing. It's what always kept me from being a better road bike rider. I'd get to a certain level and woldn't have the ganas to go past it. If I ride too much on my mtb same thing happens.

I would like to reiterate my feelings towards people of your experience and age transitioning to e-bikes

Well stated, VapeEscapist!

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Back out running again today after a proper good healing restorative break!

All is good, seems I have been very sensible and allowed enough time for all the injuries to heal properly.

The La Sportiva shoes are good, even if I do feel like I am running in 'high heels' after the zero drop Altra.

Hilariously ended up to my knees in bog after enthusiastically running right over a stretch of moorland I knew to be troublesome, what's the worst that can happen? I suppose I could end up being the bogman of 2021? but actually, it just took a fair amount of scrubbing to get the mud out of the skin on my legs!

The best part is that the bog is back after being dry for the summer.

Splish splash splosh!

As an aside, the baby wrens have flown the nest today, they are tiny... so ridiculously cute!!

p.s. as another totally unrelated aside I popped an Asahi Super Dry in the freezer for 15 minutes to get it really cold... 5 mins to go!

vapirtoo

I love your descriptions of your environment, and the wonderful ways that you interact with it.
New high heel shoes got you running into bogs! They sound like winners to me!

I duplicated a 30 mile ride, but this time I had no edibles beforehand eventhough I did hit
the vape hard before I left.
As we all have been saying, the ride was ok, but no where as amazing and interesting as before.
I had thoughts of stopping early and going home. WTF! Edibles had me spinning with an idiotic
grin on my face, saying hello to everyone. ( Got alot of hellos and good mornings in return... from NYERS!)
So for me weed makes the effort more fun! No weed, no canoeing; believe that!

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Every time I think of them as high heels it makes me laugh, anyone who could hear me would wonder what on earth I as talking about, high heels? bog? wtf? 😂

Also liking your cheery hello ride - it is true what they say; behaviour breeds behaviour! Heck, you should be PAID to do this - anyone who brings a bit more joy into the world in this way should be paid handsomely imo!

GetLeft

Ran into one of the guys who is a dedicated trail maintenance person on the local trails I ride (chainsaw in tow, had the look of a horror movie in the making). He introduced me to a whole set of new trails that he'd been cutting in over the past 1.5 yrs. (thanks covid!). Got some playing to keep me busy for a while!

He also told me about TrailForks, a website / app that maps gazillion trails all over the US. You all likely know about it. I checked out the trails I ride on it and it does an ok job but not accurate enough to keep me from getting all turned around and my favorite riding place:

Nor my local trails:

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
This album is a recent discovery for me and is one of my current favorite cycling soundtracks.

I ride with a mini-speaker attached to my backpack, never headphones.

I fully accept and embrace the irony of cycling to the song Spin!, on the album Spin!, by the band Spin!. :rofl:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
This album is a recent discovery for me and is one of my current favorite cycling soundtracks.

I ride with a mini-speaker attached to my backpack, never headphones.

I fully accept and embrace the irony of cycling to the song Spin!, on the album Spin!, by the band Spin!. :rofl:

^ That seems like very good music to have in one's ears while riding a bike around at night, while tripping on acid.

Top Bottom