Athlete Vaporists?

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
My bluetooth headphones have 'hear-through' option, so you can adjust the amount of outside noise that comes through. . .conversely, they also have an 'active noise cancelling' option. Both have their time and place.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I tried running with headphones and really didn't like it one little bit, obviously each to their own! I definitely don't want to detract from any one else's personal preference and enjoyment in the slightest; but I just felt disconnected, nearly fell badly while leaping a fence and the cable got caught - yikes! and when I tried wireless I was running and trying to somehow poise myself so they didn't fall out 😂

In the end I realised I like hearing what my feet are doing and how they interact with the different ground types, the crunching of gravel, the clicks of the stones, the squelches in the mud and bog, I love hearing the birds, the wind, the rain, the rustle of the grass and reeds... the bleating of the sheep, the rustle of the squirrels scurrying to hide when I run through the woods, it's amazing!

I can listen to music any time at home, but I can't listen to those sounds at home.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Some horny horns,
sounds like a sound track
from a 70's movie, no auto-tune.
-snip-
Yeah, it's the sort of stuff I was hoping to find to ride to. Jiro Inagaki Funky Stuff is another good example.

They are funky, groovy, fusiony, no lyrics. I don't normally care for disco on it's own but with Spin! it's part of a greater fusion. I always say I like every genre when it's combined with elements I already enjoy. And if you don't think booty wiggling music is good for cycling, you've got another think coming.

I have had some comments on the music coming from my mini speaker and I like subjecting people to my music for a change. A young guy in Williamsburg acknowledged the AIC coming from my speaker. A guy in a pick-up truck appreciated the Isley Brothers. Numerous people acknowledging funk when they hear it. I often ride with metal of various intensities. From Sabbath to Cattle Decapitation. I sometimes play neighborhood appropriate things. Riding through Harlem with James Brown playing etc. Pull a track stand at a red light next to a guy with his girlfriend displaying excellent taste in music and superior body control. ;)

....I get compliments and kudos for trackstands sometimes. Kids love em. It's my one stupid cyclist trick. On the century ride in Mass I pulled a trackstand at a light for the entire duration with very little room around me and the woman behind me said, "very impressive". I never thought I would have good balance but now I'm like cemented to the ground from so much cycling. I didn't realize that when you're riding you're practicing a form of balance and one day I woke up and I could trackstand. I don't see many others doing them though this year I've seen more, probably due to increased ridership in general.

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Track stand!
You ride a fix?
Nope! ;)

Far more difficult on a 10 Speed Hybrid.

^That's Grace Slick 2, no I'm not a big Jefferson Airplane fan, it's just a great name for a city bike. Which she most certainly is.

Road bikes and fixies are more dangerous in inner city conditions. Less sight distance, less maneuverability, clip-in, toe cage, in Manhattan traffic? :doh:. Full Stop. Guys commuting in full road kit on a carbon bike.... 3.5 miles! LOL. What I love about riding in harsh weather conditions is having the lanes to myself, safe and sound. Anyway, she's only 20 pounds, climbs like a mountain goat, and I often pace roadies on shear strength, and fixies often ride much lighter gears so I can just gear up past them so to speak. I like to do the physics between us.... I'm 40+ yrs, 250+lb's on a 20lb bike, no aero, no clips, no road geometry; yet I can pace or pass this 20 something, in aero, with clips, on a 14lb bike up over the bridge. I love when they sprint past me for the first 1/3 of the bridge and then gas and I pass them like a coal train steady, heavy, but unstoppable. Am I twice as strong? :hmm: (*You never know how many miles the guy you are racing has already done though, he could be on mile 72 to your 10, not exactly fair, but it works both ways.)

The only guys who are consistently faster/stronger cyclists that I see around are the super dedicated roadies who likely qualify for those intense amateur leagues and such. I actually raced one of these guys down the Manhattan bridge path recently and knew I would win based on physics again. I have the advantage on the downhills mister $10k bike -150lbs, sorry.

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Nope! ;)

Far more difficult on a 10 Speed Hybrid.

^That's Grace Slick 2, no I'm not a big Jefferson Airplane fan, it's just a great name for a city bike. Which she most certainly is.

Road bikes and fixies are more dangerous in inner city conditions. Less sight distance, less maneuverability, clip-in, toe cage, in Manhattan traffic? :doh:. Full Stop. Guys commuting in full road kit on a carbon bike.... 3.5 miles! LOL. What I love about riding in harsh weather conditions is having the lanes to myself, safe and sound. Anyway, she's only 20 pounds, climbs like a mountain goat, and I often pace roadies on shear strength, and fixies often ride much lighter gears so I can just gear up past them so to speak. I like to do the physics between us.... I'm 40+ yrs, 250+lb's on a 20lb bike, no aero, no clips, no road geometry; yet I can pace or pass this 20 something, in aero, with clips, on a 14lb bike up over the bridge. I love when they sprint past me for the first 1/3 of the bridge and then gas and I pass them like a coal train steady, heavy, but unstoppable. Am I twice as strong? :hmm: (*You never know how many miles the guy you are racing has already done though, he could be on mile 72 to your 10, not exactly fair, but it works both ways.)

The only guys who are consistently faster/stronger cyclists that I see around are the super dedicated roadies who likely qualify for those intense amateur leagues and such. I actually raced one of these guys down the Manhattan bridge path recently and knew I would win based on physics again. I have the advantage on the downhills mister $10k bike -150lbs, sorry.

Good for you, I was similar when I lived in a city, I did ride a single speed for a while, without clips or any lycra though :D

Could the main difference between you and probably most of the other people be that you brave the weather?

I am not a 'racer', I'm just not into competing with other people as I have a hard enough time trying to beat myself, but there's a saying that "summer fell races are won in the winter" and for very, very good reason!

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Could the main difference between you and probably most of the other people be that you brave the weather?
Abso-fucking-lutely.

No days off.

When I get like 5 days to a week off and get back on the bike, I'm reminded what fresh legs is like, and I feel impossibly strong.

Also, everything in NYC is a climb. You're not going to get more than a few blocks before there is another climb. Going to Manhattan my choices are a huge bridge, a huge bridge, or a huge bridge. When I ride in other states and countries it's like the chains are off. Riding in Germany and the Netherlands? I just never felt gassed, there was little to no climbing, just GO!

As far as racing is concerned, I have to admit I have some Greyhound in me. Probably from countless racing video games which taught me some great physics lessons as well as made me enjoy the speed. I may also have more than a small chip on my shoulder having fought my way down from 320lbs.... I can freely admit that.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
There's nothing wrong with racing and well done on the weight loss - good work!!

I seem to have put on a few lbs recently, so I am having a break from the beer, that will sort it in a couple of weeks 😂

Same here re. the climbing, I can't go very far at all without going up or down, wouldn't have it any other way! They are pretty damn steep too - if you look on the OS maps those contour lines are nearly touching! I certainly can't cycle up or even down them on a standard bike - no way! I tried it once and literally could not stop no matter how hard I pulled on the brakes,, absolutely terrifying and I think I nearly destroyed the rims in the process - oops! Thankfully there were no cars at that time. Absolutely need disc brakes; hard on all the way down and the lowest gear ratio all the way up!

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Nice, strangely quite inspiring!

Now I am a bit more confident and know my way over the moors, I am definitely going to get some night time runs in over this coming winter :)

I am pretty much healed and back to full strength running another week and I will be back to whee I was before the little mishap.

New shoes seem to be breaking in nicely.

Really good run today, long slow incline to start, then a much steeper but still reasonable incline... before levelling off onto the moors which were wet and muddy, dry, rocky in different places but none of it ridiculous, the drop back down was great, nice semi-solid foot path and then after a short break to chat to neighbours, the last stretch along the road track was great.

I took this photo a few months ago... but this is a slightly weird panorama shot of where I run, I probably make it over to this point at the head of the clough 3 or 4 times a week, it's stunning, the woodland below is a nature reserve I keep meaning to explore a lot more:

edit: click the image to bring up a bigger version, click again to zoom in and then click and drag to look around in much more detail - you will get a really good idea of the kind of terrain I run over :tup:

broadhead clough small.JPG

vapirtoo

Flushing Meadows Park! At night.
Hey VapEscapist!
That is a tried and true beater bike ya got there.
I just changed the pedals on my mtn. bike to
standard regular pedals eventhough I often ride
at least 10 miles a throw.
My 1978 road bike has the newer clipless pedals
which I can get out of pretty quick.
I've been in full road gear only to have some
old guy pass me with flip flops and a kickstand.
Corona fears stopped me from drafting him!

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Flushing Meadows Park! At night.
Hey VapEscapist!
That is a tried and true beater bike ya got there.
I just changed the pedals on my mtn. bike to
standard regular pedals eventhough I often ride
at least 10 miles a throw.
My 1978 road bike has the newer clipless pedals
which I can get out of pretty quick.
I've been in full road gear only to have some
old guy pass me with flip flops and a kickstand.
Corona fears stopped me from drafting him!
Yup, I need a bike that can do everything. From ice and slush to a century ride....

It's been the sturdiest bike I have ever owned (though I believe it's time for a new fork), but I guess that makes sense when you consider it's also the most expensive ($1,250). I have cracked 2 frames in the past, which gets you a replacement with most major manufacturers. When I cracked an FX4 disc frame, Trek couldn't get the new frame to me fast enough so they offered me the upgrade for the difference in price. Now I'm spoiled and will likely never want a bike of lesser quality.

I was thinking about having a titanium bike made to that geometry. Now that I've been riding over a decade and really know what I want, a custom frame might be worth it!

vapirtoo

Only could watch..... almost the whole clip!
Too many endos and half hearted fails.
I used to race moto-cross, but this
bicycle, crash and scream, (no burn thank God)
trail bombing is frightening. 50 years back I
would of drooled all over this, but now I just stay
on the porch. Hospital insurance anyone?

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
50 years back I would of drooled all over this, but now I just stay
on the porch. Hospital insurance anyone?

I'm with ya but we old timers learned things along the way and sometimes youth is wasted on the young ....

It's rare but sometimes I fall during a run. So far I have gotten away with nothing more then bruises and some road rash because I learned how to shoulder roll when I was a teen. It's a natural, non-thinking reaction after all these years and the last time it happened there was a 20ish guy running toward me. When we got closer I did a small hand wave and at the same time I caught the lip of a raised sidewalk and fell forward. Put my hands out in front of me, leaned to the right shoulder and popped right up without missing a beat. The other runner looked stunned as he asked if I was OK and I just waved again and kept on running. Skinned the crap out of my hand and my knee though. If I had to think about that roll before doing it I'd be hurt bad. It's not a good idea to fall at my age let alone while your legs are tired.

I was running a marathon when I was way, way younger and at about the halfway mark I passed a father and son (They had t-shirts that said "I'm his Dad" and "I'm his son"). What really caught my eye was that the Dad was probably in his 80's and the son was probably in his 60's. As I passed them I thought "Geez, I hope I'm in as good a shape as they are when I get that old". Hell, I wasn't in as good a shape as they were then! The two of them passed me like I was standing still with about 5 miles left in the race.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Absolutely, it's a fantastic way to live and it really is a case of use it or lose it! Amazing, inspirational!

Obviously it gets harder to turn things around the older you get, I think mid to late 40's is an excellent time to stop partying and start 'paying' for the indulgent years :rofl:

I start to fall here and there, actually it happens quite a lot, just because of where I run... but I catch myself most of the time in a powerful transfer of energy into my arms as I throw them up in the air to counteract the unwanted change of direction and the pull of gravity. I am sure I look quite ridiculous, and the windmill arms are often accompanied by an involuntary loud crying gasp, but it's okay, most of the time there's no one to see or hear... occasionally I am unable to correct, or over correct and do actual fall. I end up sat on my ass if I am going downhill - it's kinda hard to fall face first going down because my legs are bent and my centre of gravity relatively low, it's almost impossible to fall going uphill (I think? :hmm:) so it's nearly always on the flat I end up hitting the dirt! I have a nice collection of little scars on my legs from where I've knocked chunks out on rocks - oops!

Anyway, all this is to say, falling is sometimes a part of life, keep your bones strong and your muscles and tendons flexible and you minimise the chance of serious injury!

p.s. I wish I could do forward rolls like that, but if it was instinctual that really could cause a lot of problems round here hehe it would be one thing to fall face first in the bog, it would be quite another to start doing a forward roll and end up with my head plugged firmly in the bog with my legs up in the air 😂

CANtalk

Thx for all the posts and personal experiences. Great reading. I'd love to get out and MTB ride a lot of the scenery that people are posting here!

That MTB vid is pretty crazy. Many people don't realize that MTB is an extreme sport... and it can be really hard core depending on where and how one rides. I like to ride difficult and challenging trails, have a high risk tolerance and realized at my age (no spring chicken) I had better carpe diem the MTB before I get much older. It's awesome fun and exercise.

Getting out there in whatever way (running, MTB, kayak, etc) carries some risk. And pushing it has more risk... but more reward for many. Most people can manage risk reasonably well. Find ur own balance and enjoy.

I was intrigued by that earlier 1000 switchback video and tried it successfully myself :). Though the switchback section I used was only a shadow of theirs :lol:... steep but flat, wide and no obstacles. (with good visibility). I wish I had the trails to learn rear steering more, but my area lacks them (most of the local switchbacks here are blind... with two way traffic as well, so it's best to not be too committed ;)). Having impressive skills (on a MTB or anything) is all about trying and practice.

I had my second crash of the year recently, lost the front end on an easy transition section where there was a lip I tried to cross without realizing it. Got a bit of gravel rash. Then in another ride after that, I almost crashed again, losing the front end (again). This one would have been ugly as I was at speed, but thankfully I was able to get the front end to bite again (due to the slope of the trail) and recover. Though there was a wicked handlebar snap back that had my arm sore for the rest of the day after the ride. I traced the front end traction issues to front tire pressure creep (too high) and quickly fixed that. I'm running tubeless on the MTB and they need air weekly. That, combined with trying to keep rolling resistance lower, contributed to the front end issues. Since I went back down 3-4 psi on the front, the bike is again working flawlessly.

I haven't been MTB riding as crazy much as earlier in the summer, but still lots and am well over 1000 miles since late April. It's been excellent and very rewarding. Last ride I went out planning for ~10 miles.... ended up going over 25. I'm in excellent shape from all the exercise (best ever on the MTB). I try not to stop or take any breaks on my rides. And I seek out and ride the quiet & more isolated trails in the area... they're very beautiful with lots of nature and excellent scenery (and the hardcore trails have no-to-few people). Lots of wildlife to this year on those trails, including snakes, deer, foxes, gophers, squirrels, birds, rabbits, etc. I use mosquito spray at times too as some trails have tons of them.

I love MTB riding with music, and as mentioned it really helps with the rhythm, pace go thing that I very much enjoy. I recently tried a bit of a ride without music and it was much less fun... my heavy breathing was loud and distracting, making me feel even more like I was out of breath. YMMV. I do keep the music on the quieter side so I can hear some of the surrounding environment when riding.

Fall is already in the air here and I only have another month or two in the year. Ugh!

And right now I'm dealing with a pinched nerve in the back 👎. I hope it goes away soon as tomorrow (Saturday) is looking nice out!

Get out and enjoy. And have a great weekend.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

WisePenny

unknown. unmember.
I love MTB riding with music, and as mentioned it really helps with the rhythm, pace go thing that I very much enjoy. I recently tried a bit of a ride without music and it was much less fun... my heavy breathing was loud and distracting, making me feel even more like I was out of breath.
This is what I find too for running. I don't like hearing my breathing and my feet hitting the ground. It's harder to pace myself and keep interested without music too, I find it monotonous and the time and distance pass slowly. But I have adhd too, so that's the norm for me. . .have to keep it interesting!

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I totally get the music thing to relieve the monotony that can creep in, that's why I run off road and off trail if I can - the mental gymnastics involved in staying upright are intensely demanding - not a hope in hell of getting bored with all that technical footwork to contend with - it's a very pure and focussed state of being!

6 miles this evening, 900ft of ascent, and descent of course! A mix of trail, open moorland, stoney ground and bog. Just over an hour and ten... I know it's not a lot in the grand scheme of things and many many people run a lot more,, but I am feeling pretty pleased with myself - it's good for me :))

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
This is what I find too for running. I don't like hearing my breathing and my feet hitting the ground. It's harder to pace myself and keep interested without music too, I find it monotonous and the time and distance pass slowly.
+1 for need my jams during the run!

When my music stops playing during a run I hum/sing the marching songs I learned in the Navy....cadence is easy to mod as needed. Sometimes it's all in my head and I don't do it out loud.....

Here's my favorite:
You had a good home and you left, your right
You had a good home and you left
You had a good home and you left, your right
You had a good home and you left
Your left, your left, your left, right, left
Your left, your left, your left, right, left

Start on the correct foot and .... Rinse and repeat

Top Bottom