Alpine 2020/2021 - Induction Heater

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I got mine. It was packaged nicely, but no information or instructions. Unit looks nice, but it doesn't work. I've held the dynavap in for two minutes, the entire time concerned about combustion. I get no click from the dynavap. Nothing. No vapor. Cap cold. I contacted them, and they wanted me to try various outlets. It doesn't work in any of them. It's not good looking enough to be a paperweight, but so far that's what I have.
I do have 3 other IH, and am familiar with how it should go. This is a no go.

ChilledAsian

I got mine. It was packaged nicely, but no information or instructions. Unit looks nice, but it doesn't work. I've held the dynavap in for two minutes, the entire time concerned about combustion. I get no click from the dynavap. Nothing. No vapor. Cap cold. I contacted them, and they wanted me to try various outlets. It doesn't work in any of them. It's not good looking enough to be a paperweight, but so far that's what I have.
I do have 3 other IH, and am familiar with how it should go. This is a no go.
Funny how they sent me a replacement IH that doesn't work at all. They told me they tested my unit first before they sent it, which makes me question now their quality control.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Funny how they sent me a replacement IH that doesn't work at all. They told me they tested my unit first before they sent it, which makes me question now their quality control.
It's been odd. I was writing about the problem to Source Vaporizers on the email I've used throughout, and was told they sent a label, and I had to get it back within a week. No label. I contacted them, and they said I had another email I once used (for sales notices, as I've never bought from them before), and they sent to that email address. I explained I no longer have that email, and there was a confusing explanation about they can't send a return label to my actual email, and they kept sending to the old address. I finally called, and the first two attempts to send the label, there was no label sent, though Randall said he could see it on his end. I told him I was heading to the bank, and would explain I need to return a non-working item, and would just pay return shipping because I had trouble paying for an item that neither worked, nor could get a paid label for. Then Randall switched emails and sent me a label.
I don't feel really great about this. I've never had trouble getting old emails used, and getting labels. I took pictures of the IH, and wonder if this will actually be replaced, or sent right back.

ChilledAsian

It's been odd. I was writing about the problem to Source Vaporizers on the email I've used throughout, and was told they sent a label, and I had to get it back within a week. No label. I contacted them, and they said I had another email I once used (for sales notices, as I've never bought from them before), and they sent to that email address. I explained I no longer have that email, and there was a confusing explanation about they can't send a return label to my actual email, and they kept sending to the old address. I finally called, and the first two attempts to send the label, there was no label sent, though Randall said he could see it on his end. I told him I was heading to the bank, and would explain I need to return a non-working item, and would just pay return shipping because I had trouble paying for an item that neither worked, nor could get a paid label for. Then Randall switched emails and sent me a label.
I don't feel really great about this. I've never had trouble getting old emails used, and getting labels. I took pictures of the IH, and wonder if this will actually be replaced, or sent right back.
I hope you get your replacement asap... I'm still waiting, now in my 6month...

stark1

Lonesome Planet
My package was supposed to be delivered (last) Saturday, they said.
Last tracking history was in North Lost Vegas, Feb 20. Haha

Voting Election Day GIF by Nickelodeon

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Shipped on 2/16 and is not scheduled to be delivered until 2/25....? From Vegas to Boston...? This tiny little thing must've been sent via camel-back...

Tracking History​

February 22, 2021
In Transit, Arriving On Time
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered by the expected delivery date. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

February 18, 2021, 1:03 am
Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility
LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

February 17, 2021, 10:24 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

February 17, 2021, 4:22 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
LAS VEGAS NV DISTRIBUTION CENTER

February 17, 2021, 2:32 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
LAS VEGAS NV DISTRIBUTION CENTER

February 16, 2021, 11:10 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
LAS VEGAS NV DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX

February 16, 2021, 7:07 pm
USPS picked up item
NORTH LAS VEGAS, NV 89032

February 16, 2021, 4:37 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
NORTH LAS VEGAS, NV 89081

stark1

Lonesome Planet
“What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!”

dungeons and dragons goodbye GIF by Alpha

To Boston, from lost Vegas—via lost Angeles...

Ahh, the wayward lost, De Joy

Dont feel too bad, @Bologna, usps returned quite a few of my mail, including
My federal stimulus check! Haha

Last edited:
Received mine a couple days ago.. works well, heats up about twice as fast as the 2020, build quality is really good, larger magnet and auto-off are nice. However, I seem to remember something about a 'travel case' to be included in place of the canvas bag that shipped with the 2020 but it was not included, just the unit and charger.. but totally worth the $72 paid(that is, as long as it keeps working).

stark1

Lonesome Planet
:clap::tup:Good to know that somehow someone has finally received theirs!

:myday: Mine shows “in transit”, lost tracked in North Vegas, due (last) Saturday....

stark1,
Reactions: Bologna

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Mine came in a day early yesterday afternoon as I had hoped. The smaller tightly packed product box was shipped in a much larger box with a couple of small scraps of craft paper as packing material, so it bounced around in there freely throughout it's entire journey...

I unboxed it and pressed the button and three of four lights turned on... packed an '18 Ti tip with GG#4 x I95 and a well used "4:20" cap (also '18). Took about 8 seconds to click twice which happened pretty much at the same time... light vapor and great taste... to be expected! Next go, same... did about 5 total 5-8 hit caps until the battery died... I prefer to go about 2-3 secs past the instant double clicks for thicker vapor. All the AVB was perfectly browned. Charged to full (red and green lights blinking on charger, 4 lit on unit?) in about an hour... It works as described as far as I can tell and so far I'm very happy with the performance! It's a little bigger and quite a bit heavier than I expected.

Now the bad:

The anodized thick metal shell came out of the box dinged up all over like it had been dropped and bounced around on all the edges... Hopefully this was before the electronics were installed...:

5C53B5EF-32DC-4142-88FC-198B7E1E5F2D.jpegADE42A0D-741A-4290-A475-A5A5AB1CED75.jpeg692E10DC-0D4C-411B-9484-5B676ABB2217.jpeg36E2107E-2ECF-4310-89D5-5EE362A46465.jpeg6B17DA46-191D-4F3A-81FC-E11C1DB8D2A9.jpeg

3326238B-F4B0-4442-93E4-8DFD69F83F3B.jpeg
The wood has many rather light but very noticeable cross-grain scratches on it (annoying but not a huge deal), one of the rubber screw plugs sticks out (I can trim that with an exacto), the charging cable is too short and there's no case and basically no directions or any printed materials included in the box.

Time to contact Source... not looking forward to it either.

EDIT:

Just went to do a cap after the recharge this morning and when I press the tip in, the red glass light blinks instead of stays on as before, and it doesn't heat up (barely gets warm) properly. Plug in the charger (lights on charger blink red and green) and plug it into the unit with it turned on (4 lights on) and when I press the tip in, the red glass light stays on and it heats up fine... so, as of right now, the only way it works is when it's plugged in... UGH.

ALREADY BROKEN

Last edited:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
What a tosser.

What is CS saying? —Sounds like it got banged up good in its long awaited journey to you.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
What a tosser.

What is CS saying? —Sounds like it got banged up good in its long awaited journey to you.
I lost my connection on the PC whilst chatting to them on their website so I called the number... and to my surprise Randall picked up!
I have have to admit, he was very helpful and accommodating with the only caveat being that they "don't have an extra to send" until they receive the return... but he upgraded the shipping to Priority... and the devices are all being packed better. I can wait another week or so for a proper unit, no biggie...

What a difference good, live conversation can make... totally changed my opinion of him, not Source... yet.

Edit: btw, pass-through charging is not supposed to work...

Last edited:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Woo-hoo! Mine’s tracking in Springfield!
So, tomorrow.

Not bad, 10 + a day, for 2-3 days Priority.....

Cant wait to see how banged up mine’s gonna be.

:tup: Glad to see Randy’s manned up!

Last edited:
stark1,

Mowjo

@Bologna Thanks for the details write up! I was a little less fortunate with the heater. And its seems their CS has been busy.

I hope to get a clear answer on passthrough use. Their 2020 model says it is fine but someone on reddit mentioned its a bad idea.

Mowjo

Received mine a couple days ago.. works well, heats up about twice as fast as the 2020, build quality is really good, larger magnet and auto-off are nice. However, I seem to remember something about a 'travel case' to be included in place of the canvas bag that shipped with the 2020 but it was not included, just the unit and charger.. but totally worth the $72 paid(that is, as long as it keeps working).
https://www.reddit.com/r/ToggenGear/comments/k8my50
A Zipper carrying cass will be made available soon! the first 30 2021 buyers will receive one free!

Is this what you are thinking of?

Mowjo,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
@Bologna Thanks for the details write up! I was a little less fortunate with the heater. And its seems their CS has been busy.

I hope to get a clear answer on passthrough use. Their 2020 model says it is fine but someone on reddit mentioned its a bad idea.

Verbatim per yesterday's conversation with Randall: "Pass-through charging is not supported" (by the 2021 model.)

I'd try calling the Tech support number on the site sometime early to mid afternoon Vegas-time and I bet you get Randall. He's probably handling many Alpine calls directly cuz of the release.... good luck!

Bologna,

stark1

Lonesome Planet
:cheers::myday: Well, blow me down, mates!
This landlocked lubber’s seeing a cny survivor floating in from Springfield, and
Landed in the LPO in town, this early morning.

Now to wait for Delivery “between 10:15 AM-2:15PM”.

cny, indeed. Every year there seems to be a two week delay on the slow boat
From China around this rime. Well, at least it should be delivered sometime today.

Hope everyone else is getting theirs also.

@Bologna , if it was mailed in a box like the 2020, it shouldnt be all dinged up, unless it was like that when packed, in the factory.

Last edited:
stark1,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
:cheers::myday: Well, blow me down, mates!
This landlocked lubber’s seeing a cny survivor floating in from Springfield, and
Landed in the LPO in town, this early morning.

Now to wait for Delivery “between 10:15 AM-2:15PM”.

cny, indeed. Every year there seems to be a two week delay on the slow boat
From China around this rime. Well, at least it should be delivered sometime today.

Hope everyone else is getting theirs also.

@Bologna , if it was mailed in a box like the 2020, it shouldnt be all dinged up, unless it was like that when packed, in the factory.

Yeah, similar box (green now), that's why I said "Hopefully this was before the electronics were installed"... cuz it looked as though it was dropped on a concrete floor and there's no way for that damage to happen after being boxed... now, the scratched wood was probably the result of transport. The products inside (boxed charger, naked unit except for small foam band) actually do slide up and down, I believe, in the product box but not at all on 4 sides when sealed (all the way from China...?). The charger box has a hole in it, so part of the charger was probably touching the wood the whole time, thus the scratches... the fuct electronics is also most likely the result of poor packaging/transport and bouncing around for days upon days...

He said out of about 400 shipped there were 3 or 4 (I'd add a zero to that, at least) with similar issues and better packaging as well as no more ground shipping (didn't even really save them anything and maybe ended up costing them...)

No good excuses for poor packaging/logistics, imo... Order anything over $20 from Shane @710Coils on the west coast and it's always in my hands in less than 5 days, free! Even the overall poor packaging aside (shit happens), there's no excuse except foolish extreme cheapness shipping a somewhat delicate, small electronic product like this, ground.

EDIT: and honestly, I'd consider taking it a step further, if you have a big box/craft paper packed unit delivered, far or not, ("Springfield", ?), I'd just send it right back even if it works fine, cuz who knows how long it will last 'til the "final straw" that breaks it (note the camel ref to bring it full-circle :clap:).

EDIT2: btw, I told him specifically that I was active on the forum(s) and would be mentioning our convo... hopefully he comes back and is able to avoid the trolls/cesspool (like he says he wants to) that is Reddit...

Last edited:

Mowjo

Verbatim per yesterday's conversation with Randall: "Pass-through charging is not supported" (by the 2021 model.)

I'd try calling the Tech support number on the site sometime early to mid afternoon Vegas-time and I bet you get Randall. He's probably handling many Alpine calls directly cuz of the release.... good luck!
You are right!
https://www.reddit.com/r/ToggenGear/comments/lsml0z/_/gotq8t2
Side note: pass through works but is not recommended for prolong use as it’s not doing your battery any favors long term

Mowjo,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Got mine delivered, no noticeable damage. Charged it.

Charger indicated green, but only 3 white lights. What gives? Takes
About 8 seconds to click.

No idea. Is the charger supposed to be red when actively charging or green...? My unit did charge to 4 but showed both while charging, as well as blinking red & green at various times... was there any info included in the "charger box with accessories"? What other "accessories", btw, mine only contained a short-corded charger and no directions or key to the light codes printed anywhere...? How hard is it to slip a piece of paper in the box with said info?

The questions are starting to pile up.....

Edit: Your magnet appears to be not level and standing proud of the wood on one edge, is that just the camera/angle lack of depth?

Last edited:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
:tup: I was like whaa! No instructions—and “other accessories”?
No other accessories found.

Would be good to have some semblance of an owner’s manual.

Included charger was 12.6V/1.5A vs 12V/2.0A for the 2020 version.

You have a good eye, the magnet was not flush, stuck out, at
A slight angle. I can live with that.

Oddly enough, when the charger light changed :myday:
From red to green, the unit’s lights were only at 3 white
LEDs. I suppose I will have to live with that.

Too bad the factory has so many questionable variables,
I like the look of it. Wish they would hammer out the issues
Before marketing them.

The 2020 unit had no glue on the top plate, and no glue on the
Wayward magnet. It does work, otherwise.

stark1,
Top Bottom