Air speed of vapor--ram air effect?

MinnBobber

Hi,
does anyone else notice quite different airflow characteristics when changing the "air intake" diameter.
For example, when hitting my miniVAP with a hydratube and then an OGB glass mouthpiece:
-- hydratube has big/ wide mouthpiece and it's a "slow speed air intake" to my mouth and lungs
-- @Oregonglassblower glassblower mouthpiece is very narrow diameter, in comparison. It seems to have a "high speed air intake". It feels like it is shooting into the lungs, like a ram air intake.

It could just be placebo effect but the OGB feels like it gets me more medicated/
Comments and your experience welcomed....

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I've never noticed any significant difference, but there is some science going on here...

Assuming the same volume/rate of air is flowing through the openings, it will have a higher velocity when exiting the smaller hole.
(think a garden hose where it will spray further if you block half of the end with your thumb)

I have seen some discussion as to whether this added velocity could potentially cool vapor off a bit quicker, smoothing out the hit more, but I don't recall much coming of it though...

My guess would be that its possibly a dry vs moisture conditioned hit issue?
Hydratube hits are smoother than dry hits so it feels like the dry hits hit harder?
:shrug:

MinnBobber

Yes, I think airflow is under physics-- laws of fluid dynamics, thinking WAY back to college physics.
If the area of the flow tube decreases, then the velocity of the fluid increases.
And fluid dynamics covered fluids and air acts like a fluid too.

@Frederick McGuire Some may be due to dry hit vs moisturized hit but it really feels like the narrow tube really rams the mixture into the far reaches of your lungs while the slow draw speed of the hydratube makes you really pull hard to get an equal hit...

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I think a wider mouthpiece would shoot the vapor out slower at the beginning, but how fast the vapor goes into lungs depends on how fast you pull and how much drag the piece has. I mean - you're still pulling the same volume, that volume has to go faster through the narrow mouthpiece, but then slows down again in your mouth as youur mouth didn't get any narrower. You would have to contract your mouth and throat to make the vapor flow faster into your lungs at the same draw speed.

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
I am noticing this effect with my new Eds TnT stem for my Lily.

It's a two piece that reduces the airflow by half. I feel like it injects vapor into my month at a higher rate and pressure, using the same draw speed I would use on the stock stem.

20150710_210105-1_zpswqiqsc26.jpg

Top Bottom