• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Acrylic Pipe for Evo?

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Need some advice for an Acrylic piece for my Evo. I know it's not the "clean" option, but I am getting sick and tired of busting glass, expensive or otherwise.

I have found some acrylic options, but I'm not good at figuring out sizing. Are these as easy to find adapters for or does anyone have a piece they use or know works for sure?

Thanks!

yogoshio,

Marihuana

Iso Tensei
You're going to have a REAL hard time finding an acrylic bong that accepts 18mm joint connections. I think your best bet would be to get whip tubing and shimmy it into the metal bowl/grommet stem. (blowback risk?) Measurement is always an issue there, though. It's not like you can know ahead of time what gauge the tubing would need to be until the piece is in your hands. You could also use this kit to turn a mason jar (they make plastic ones) into a piece. (Unfortunately, it's 14mm so you might need an additional adapter for your Evo.)

Last edited:
Marihuana,
Reactions: yogoshio

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well why not get a stainless steel one then ? Otherwise you should check if Transformer Tubes are still around :)... Btw there are adapters screw to 14/18mm for those metal downstems :))
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/transformer-tubes-formerly-steele-concept.6826/
http://recreationalsmoker.com/index2.html#products

Edited.
Just check and this is transformer tubes site.. https://transformersbong.com/
main-1-img.jpg

Also if you are into DIY you should check this thread http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/tri-clamp-bong-stainless-steel-bong.24831/

Last edited:

Marihuana

Iso Tensei
Ah yeah, that reminds me of something... Have you thought about a silicone bong? They are DESIGNED to be compatible with glass joints.

Marihuana,
Reactions: ataxian

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Ah! I knew I forgot to mention a stipulation lol. We have a colored silicone piece right now. We want to be able to see vapor production, as we have noticed we tend to pull harder when we can't see it, leading to combustion a few times. I might have found a clear-ish, but the hope was a colored acrylic or even clear acrylic piece that I drop in an adapter or just push the evo right into it like the piece we have now.

Also, it doesn't look like that mason jar adapter would work, as the intake and output are too close to each other.

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
I just ordered a Transformers tube with a 18/19mm downstem, so we are good to go! Pricing was surprisingly reasonable.

yogoshio,

herbivore21

A few things:

Silicone bongs are going to swell with reclaim after extended use and taste like old hits. The nature of silicone means that it cannot be fully cleaned.

Acrylic has similar problems and may be more likely to react with vapor over time than silicone! You do not want to be inhaling hot hydrocarbons (ie: what we find in cannabis resin) through polymer/plastic pipes. That is a very reactive environment and acrylic/silicone etc are not inert.

Some above have already pointed it out, but I also suggest seeking a stainless steel solution. IIRC, @mestizo made some very nice stainless steel bongs at one time? If not, some other vendors have existed in the past. This is the best bet for something that won't break, but that can be kept safe, clean and tasty.

herbivore21,

subway13029

The biggest problem I found with acrylic and vaping is the ability to clean it..I bought one of those purr travel rigs that is awesome and unbreakable (well until u try clean with ISO and it cracks.) but I bought a 2nd one cuz I loved it so much and those were almost 100 for a hammer bubbler basically..it got so dirty with sticky vapor honey and it wouldn't come,clean no I just got rid of cuz it reeked and couldn't be cleaned and I tried it all.

subway13029,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
The biggest problem I found with acrylic and vaping is the ability to clean it..I bought one of those purr travel rigs that is awesome and unbreakable (well until u try clean with ISO and it cracks.) but I bought a 2nd one cuz I loved it so much and those were almost 100 for a hammer bubbler basically..it got so dirty with sticky vapor honey and it wouldn't come,clean no I just got rid of cuz it reeked and couldn't be cleaned and I tried it all.
I've seen specialized solutions for acrylic bong in some headshops .. but idont know how effective they are..
Anyway transformer tubes are made out of PC (polycarbonate) which more durable than acryl.

Polycarbonate is a durable material. Although it has high impact-resistance, it has low scratch-resistance. Therefore, a hard coating is applied to polycarbonate eyewear lenses and polycarbonate exterior automotive components. The characteristics of polycarbonate compare to those of polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA, acrylic), but polycarbonate is stronger and will hold up longer to extreme temperature. Polycarbonate is highly transparent to visible light, with better light transmission than many kinds of glass.

Polycarbonate has a glass transition temperature of about 147 °C (297 °F),[6] so it softens gradually above this point and flows above about 155 °C (311 °F).[7] Tools must be held at high temperatures, generally above 80 °C (176 °F) to make strain-free and stress-free products. Low molecular mass grades are easier to mold than higher grades, but their strength is lower as a result. The toughest grades have the highest molecular mass, but are much more difficult to process.
Advised to be sterilized with 120 C water steam..
------------------------------------------------------------
But still can get nasty.. if you overheat it or leave it at direct sun light.

Environmental impact
Disposal
Studies have shown that at high temperatures between 70oC – 80oC, and high humidity, polycarbonates will hydrolyze to Bis-phenol A (BPA). This condition is similar to that observed in most incinerators. After about 30 days under such conditions, surface crystals were formed. Measurements indicated that about 70 wt% of the surface crystals were bisphenol A (BPA).[30] BPA is a compound that is currently on the list of potential environmental hazardous chemicals. It is on the watch list of many countries, such as United States and Germany.[31]

-(-OC6H4)2C(CH3)2CO-)-n + H2O ⟶ {\displaystyle \longrightarrow }
4ffb6a294b21bebe64570c4088d77a884dec95ab
(CH3)2C(C6H4OH)2 + CO2

The leaching of BPA from polycarbonate can also occur at environmental temperature and normal pH (in landfills).The amount of leaching increases as the material becomes older. A study found that the decomposition of BPA in landfills (under anaerobic conditions) will not occur.[31] It will therefore be persistent in landfills. Eventually, it will find its way into water bodies and contribute to aquatic pollution.[31][32]

Photo-oxidation of polycarbonate
In the presence of UV light, oxidation of this polymer yields compounds such as ketones, phenols, o-phenoxybenzoic acid, benzyl alcohol and other unsaturated compounds. This has been suggested through kinetic and spectral studies. The yellow color formed after long exposure to sun can also be related to further oxidation of phenolic end group[33]

(OC6H4)2C(CH3)2CO )n + O2 , R* → (OC6H4)2C(CH3CH2)CO)n

This product can be further oxidized to form smaller unsaturated compounds. This can proceed via two different pathways, the products formed depends on which mechanism takes place.

Pathway A

(OC6H4)2C(CH3CH2)CO + O2, H* ⟶ {\displaystyle \longrightarrow }
HO(OC6H4)OCO + CH3COCH2(OC6H4)OCO

Pathway B

(OC6H4)2C(CH3CH2)CO)n + O2, H* ⟶ {\displaystyle \longrightarrow }
OCO(OC6H4)CH2OH + OCO(OC6H4)COCH3

Photo-oxidation reaction.[34]

Photo-aging reaction
Photo-aging is another degradation route for polycarbonates. Polycarbonate molecules (such as the aromatic ring) absorb UV radiation. This absorbed energy causes cleavage of covalent bonds which initiates the photo-aging process. The reaction can be propagated via side chain oxidation, ring oxidation or photo-fries rearrangement. Products formed include phenyl salicylate, dihydroxybenzophenone groups, and hydroxydiphenyl ether groups.[33][35][36]

n(C16H14O3) ⟶ {\displaystyle \longrightarrow }
C16H17O3 + C13H10O3

Polycarbonate Phenyl salicylate 2,2-dihydroxybenzophenone

Thermal degradation
Waste polycarbonate will degrade at high temperatures to form solid, liquid and gaseous pollutants. A study showed that the products were about 40–50 wt.% liquid, 14–16 wt.% gases, while 34–43 wt.% remained as solid residue. Liquid products contained mainly phenol derivatives (∼75wt.%) and bisphenol (∼10wt.%) also present.[35] Therefore, burning of these discs is also not a viable method of disposal.

Phenol derivatives are environmental pollutants, classified as Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC). Studies show they are likely to facilitate ground level ozone formation and increase photo-chemical smog.[37] In aquatic bodies, they can potentially accumulate in organisms. They are persistent in landfills, do not readily evaporate and would remain in the atmosphere.[38]

Last edited:

subway13029

I've seen specialized solutions for acrylic bong in some headshops .. but idont know how effective they are..
Anyway transformer tubes are made out of PC (polycarbonate) which more durable than acryl.

Polycarbonate is a durable material. Although it has high impact-resistance, it has low scratch-resistance. Therefore, a hard coating is applied to polycarbonate eyewear lenses and polycarbonate exterior automotive components. The characteristics of polycarbonate compare to those of polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA, acrylic), but polycarbonate is stronger and will hold up longer to extreme temperature. Polycarbonate is highly transparent to visible light, with better light transmission than many kinds of glass.

Polycarbonate has a glass transition temperature of about 147 °C (297 °F),[6] so it softens gradually above this point and flows above about 155 °C (311 °F).[7] Tools must be held at high temperatures, generally above 80 °C (176 °F) to make strain-free and stress-free products. Low molecular mass grades are easier to mold than higher grades, but their strength is lower as a result. The toughest grades have the highest molecular mass, but are much more difficult to process.
Advised to be sterilized with 120 C water steam..
------------------------------------------------------------
But still can get nasty.. if you overheat it or leave it at direct sun light.

Environmental impact
Disposal
Studies have shown that at high temperatures between 70oC – 80oC, and high humidity, polycarbonates will hydrolyze to Bis-phenol A (BPA). This condition is similar to that observed in most incinerators. After about 30 days under such conditions, surface crystals were formed. Measurements indicated that about 70 wt% of the surface crystals were bisphenol A (BPA).[30] BPA is a compound that is currently on the list of potential environmental hazardous chemicals. It is on the watch list of many countries, such as United States and Germany.[31]

-(-OC6H4)2C(CH3)2CO-)-n + H2O ⟶ {\displaystyle \longrightarrow }
(CH3)2C(C6H4OH)2 + CO2

The leaching of BPA from polycarbonate can also occur at environmental temperature and normal pH (in landfills).The amount of leaching increases as the material becomes older. A study found that the decomposition of BPA in landfills (under anaerobic conditions) will not occur.[31] It will therefore be persistent in landfills. Eventually, it will find its way into water bodies and contribute to aquatic pollution.[31][32]

Photo-oxidation of polycarbonate
In the presence of UV light, oxidation of this polymer yields compounds such as ketones, phenols, o-phenoxybenzoic acid, benzyl alcohol and other unsaturated compounds. This has been suggested through kinetic and spectral studies. The yellow color formed after long exposure to sun can also be related to further oxidation of phenolic end group[33]

(OC6H4)2C(CH3)2CO )n + O2 , R* → (OC6H4)2C(CH3CH2)CO)n

This product can be further oxidized to form smaller unsaturated compounds. This can proceed via two different pathways, the products formed depends on which mechanism takes place.

Pathway A

(OC6H4)2C(CH3CH2)CO + O2, H* ⟶ {\displaystyle \longrightarrow }
HO(OC6H4)OCO + CH3COCH2(OC6H4)OCO

Pathway B

(OC6H4)2C(CH3CH2)CO)n + O2, H* ⟶ {\displaystyle \longrightarrow }
OCO(OC6H4)CH2OH + OCO(OC6H4)COCH3

Photo-oxidation reaction.[34]

Photo-aging reaction
Photo-aging is another degradation route for polycarbonates. Polycarbonate molecules (such as the aromatic ring) absorb UV radiation. This absorbed energy causes cleavage of covalent bonds which initiates the photo-aging process. The reaction can be propagated via side chain oxidation, ring oxidation or photo-fries rearrangement. Products formed include phenyl salicylate, dihydroxybenzophenone groups, and hydroxydiphenyl ether groups.[33][35][36]

n(C16H14O3) ⟶ {\displaystyle \longrightarrow }
C16H17O3 + C13H10O3

Polycarbonate Phenyl salicylate 2,2-dihydroxybenzophenone

Thermal degradation
Waste polycarbonate will degrade at high temperatures to form solid, liquid and gaseous pollutants. A study showed that the products were about 40–50 wt.% liquid, 14–16 wt.% gases, while 34–43 wt.% remained as solid residue. Liquid products contained mainly phenol derivatives (∼75wt.%) and bisphenol (∼10wt.%) also present.[35] Therefore, burning of these discs is also not a viable method of disposal.

Phenol derivatives are environmental pollutants, classified as Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC). Studies show they are likely to facilitate ground level ozone formation and increase photo-chemical smog.[37] In aquatic bodies, they can potentially accumulate in organisms. They are persistent in landfills, do not readily evaporate and would remain in the atmosphere.[38]
polycarbonate is what the puur one i had was made out of. i trued acryluc cleaner and didnt work. thought ut was acrylic but just checked. my adviice would be clean before starts to any condensate starts to build

subway13029,

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Thanks all for the help! Looking forward to posting the piece on here. They said ISO is still the perfect cleaning solution, and the glass downstem should easily diffuse any heat straight into the water with minimal affect on the polycarbonate.

yogoshio,

subway13029

I wouldn't trust ISO on that..it will crack and get real cloudy..but to each his own.i tried to help..lol

subway13029,

Justpassedu

Need some advice for an Acrylic piece for my Evo. I know it's not the "clean" option, but I am getting sick and tired of busting glass, expensive or otherwise.

I have found some acrylic options, but I'm not good at figuring out sizing. Are these as easy to find adapters for or does anyone have a piece they use or know works for sure?

Thanks!
You may give http://jetwaterpipes.com/ a look , they seem very popular on other forums and percs can be added and subracted.

Justpassedu,

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
A couple of things:

For one, acrylic and polycarbonate are incredibly different plastics and behave differently, so while ISO will destroy acrylic, it will not destroy polycarbonate.

In terms of the dangers of polycarbonate as listed above, holy crap, even if I was combusting I'd still barely reach the levels polycarbonate leaches.

And in terms of the UV degradation, that's over the course of years, not a radical transformation of energy. If you've ever eaten ANYTHING out of a microwave (which includes most foods from any chain restaurants, from fast food, to Applebee's and Chili's, to many ma and pa places as well), you've directly consumed infinitely more free radicals and carcinogens in one meal than this piece of polycarbonate can release in a lifetime.

Here's my piece, and I'm very happy with it.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
A couple of things:

For one, acrylic and polycarbonate are incredibly different plastics and behave differently, so while ISO will destroy acrylic, it will not destroy polycarbonate.

In terms of the dangers of polycarbonate as listed above, holy crap, even if I was combusting I'd still barely reach the levels polycarbonate leaches.

And in terms of the UV degradation, that's over the course of years, not a radical transformation of energy. If you've ever eaten ANYTHING out of a microwave (which includes most foods from any chain restaurants, from fast food, to Applebee's and Chili's, to many ma and pa places as well), you've directly consumed infinitely more free radicals and carcinogens in one meal than this piece of polycarbonate can release in a lifetime.

Here's my piece, and I'm very happy with it.

Is that a cell tower? Holy hell that's HUUUGE!

@Abysmal Vapor -- Do you own that badass stainless piece in the picture? I really dig the look of that, kinda Steampunk meets retro-futurism.

Silver420Surfer,

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
All of the sections can come apart and back together. I normally don't use the orange diffuser, but I wanted to show off what I call 'party mode' lol

yogoshio,

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
All of the sections can come apart and back together. I normally don't use the orange diffuser, but I wanted to show off what I call 'party mode' lol
Gotcha.

Be careful with that ice when vaping. Would reco warm water(changed daily or per session)instead

Silver420Surfer,

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
I keep warm water in the base to condition the vapor, then the ice cools it back down. It's a great experience.

subway13029

Just stating my experience and you can state "facts" about plastics all you want but go ahead and use ISO on that baby and see how long it looks clear like that..

subway13029,
Top Bottom