Acid Reflux / Gerd and Vaping + Munchies. How do y’all counter it?

Finessseee

how do y’all prevent acid reflux / gerd symptoms with cannabis usage + munchies? My girlfriend and I are generally healthy people, but after using session vapes and munching out every night, we’ll start developing acid reflux symptoms and have to take a break from vaping to let our bodies recalibrate and feel better. Does anyone here suffer from similar symptoms and just deal with it? Or do y’all have any suggestions on how to present it? We love cannabis and would prefer not to quit, but it is annoying having flareups here and there. Any suggestions?

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
Hiya, I have the GERD so I sympathize with your discomfort firstly!
I used to take omeprazole daily but read enough about it to put me off taking it long term.
Nowadays the 2 things that help the most is to not eat oversize portions that bloat my stomach, so smaller portions more regularly if possible. And the biggest difference has come from not eating for at least 3 or even 4 hours before lying down or going to bed. I try and eat dinner by 6pm and have managed to get used to not eating anything after that.
It is a price to pay but at least I'm off the pharmaceuticals. All the best!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah definitely diet for this one, you don't say what exactly you are munching on... There are a lot of unhealthy foods that cause acid especially before bed, junk food not a good idea, if you can find healthy versions of the junk food you like that would be preferable if you can't avoid the munching at all...

Ned Bogan

I've been dealing with Reflux for decades. In my experience, the most important factors that drive it are overweight, smoking, alcohol, coffee/tea, acidic foods (tomatoes, all citrus fruits/products/drinks) and hot, spicy, greasy or fried foods. Other things may count, but those were the biggies for me. I had to get rid of my overweight, significantly cut alcohol consumption and stop smoking tobacco before I was able to beat it. I've had to avoid everything citrus and keep coffee and tomato consumption to a reasonable minimum to keep it away. I can smoke or vape weed, but I also have to keep that to a moderate level.

If what you're starting into is actually Reflux, you're probably in for a long, drawn-out battle. My experience was that my conquering and controlling that list of demons above was the only thing that enabled me to beat it. Different MD's tried to stuff pills in my mouth over the years, but what I read about the pills, their side effects and lack of efficacy kept me from ever going the pill route. I beat it and I've kept it away for years (although it's never further than an arm's length away) without any OTC or prescription pills.

If your symptoms persist after serious DIY corrective efforts, you should see a doc. Good luck with it.

Texus

You could also look into strains high in THC-V which has some appetite suppression properties. Durban Poison is a fairly common strain with high THC-V content and you can also look into strains where it is part of the parentage.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
every body is different. i do two meals a day at 12 noon and 6 pm. i gave up sugar for 30 days, 4 years ago, and that got me started on low carb, healthy fat, no sugar, no processed foods. omnivore with as much organic as i can find - certainly all the meats. i eat more carbs than the stereotypical low carb diet. my workout routine keeps it all in check. at 75.5 i am in the best health of my life. zero impact aerobics and strength training for fitness. no GERD. i vape every day.

GoldenBud

also, aim your cheat meals to be 30gr up to 200gr, instead of 200gr up to 1000gr. many people with acid reflux just don't check the amounts.. especially when they're high 24/7. like, people who eat 5 slices of pizza 3-4 times a week..or more.. it's too much.. replace most of the slices with veggies or lean protein (did so 2 years ago, never had acid reflux since then)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
While I agree with many of the points already made, especially about diet, I want to add something I don't see discussed much. BUT I think it happens to me.
Using a vape with a tight draw really brings on a sour throat feeling, basically acid reflux. Something about the suction, like using a straw...
So, for one thing, I like vapes with an open draw.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Harsh convection vapes can cause that for sure, especially if you cough and "swallow" the hot air. Used to get it super bad with the Volcano but I've seen others that get it easily with bong vapes.

Healthier munchies helps a lot too. Like dried fruit instead of gummy bears.
Even better if the munchies are homemade; it's a lot easier to eat tons of cookies when you just have to open the bag. You might still over-indulge on homemade munchies, but they should certainly be less processed/refined than most store bought stuff, and the time involved to prepare it makes that stuff much less accessible than just buying it and loading up the air fryer.

Ideally it all starts with making better decisions at the grocery store, and then you don't have to deal with overdoing it later. Especially if you find you tend to make poor eating decisions when vaping, not having that stuff around is the best solution I've found.

bhasma

Acid reflux can be caused by eating too much, especially with acidic, spicy or fatty foods, so choice and volume of "munchies" could be the problem. And using the diaphragm to directly inhale from a vape with draw resistance can cause stomach acid to rise into the oesophagus, so using a less restricted vape or a mouth to lung technique should help.

A friend of mine suffered reflux when sucking hard on a Firefly or DaVinci vape, but he now uses a Dynavap with mouth to lung inhalation without any problem.

Last edited:

Finessseee

While I agree with many of the points already made, especially about diet, I want to add something I don't see discussed much. BUT I think it happens to me.
Using a vape with a tight draw really brings on a sour throat feeling, basically acid reflux. Something about the suction, like using a straw...
So, for one thing, I like vapes with an open draw.
Which vapes have the more open draw that you lean towards? I’m considering something with more of an open draw going forward! Any suggestions?

Finessseee,
Reactions: vapviking

SicSemperAdVaporem

Inactive Account
Which vapes have the more open draw that you lean towards? I’m considering something with more of an open draw going forward! Any suggestions?
I don’t know if you’d be comfortable with one, but a Cannabis Hardware Flowerpot with a 19mm bowl provides perhaps the most open airflow of any vape I’ve tried. Admittedly I haven’t tried too many vapes, so YMMV.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I use a Bowle a lot, but that wouldn't be a forward-looking strategy!
Ditto with the Splinter, but maybe something like it, I dont' know, TP80?
Maybe the next thing from Tafee?
I have not tried a TM2.

But really, the big news seems to be the Venty and its wide open feel adjustable draw. I've been drooling now for that one.
I have zero plug--in experience...

Finessseee

I use a Bowle a lot, but that wouldn't be a forward-looking strategy!
Ditto with the Splinter, but maybe something like it, I dont' know, TP80?
Maybe the next thing from Tafee?
I have not tried a TM2.

But really, the big news seems to be the Venty and its wide open feel adjustable draw. I've been drooling now for that one.
I have zero plug--in experience...
I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on the Venty.. just need to confirm that it won’t be available from other vendors until after 2023. If POTV Carries it before then it would be an easier decision since they have the 14 day return policy and $15 off coupons.

Finessseee,
Reactions: vapviking

stinkytofus

how do y’all prevent acid reflux / gerd symptoms with cannabis usage + munchies? My girlfriend and I are generally healthy people, but after using session vapes and munching out every night, we’ll start developing acid reflux symptoms and have to take a break from vaping to let our bodies recalibrate and feel better. Does anyone here suffer from similar symptoms and just deal with it? Or do y’all have any suggestions on how to present it? We love cannabis and would prefer not to quit, but it is annoying having flareups here and there. Any suggestions?
dont eat 3-4 hrs before you sleep

Durbandream

I used to have this problem but I started drinking water or tea instead and just ignoring the urge to snack and it stopped after about a week.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

I recommend on this salad: 2 medium tomatoes, 4 medium cucumbers, 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, tiny amount of salt, and 25-30gr of some snack with sesame, something like this Pretzel with sesame, shredded:

works awesome and makes me feel great

Top Bottom