• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

A good convection vape for at home, to compliment my Fury Edge

steiner666

Serial vapist
So, I've had a good number of vapes over the years, but for the past couple years or so I've really only been using the Fury Edge (gifted most of my old spares away to stoners in need this past year). While I think the Edge is a great device for the price, and for portability, it's been having a bit of trouble keeping up with the increased use it's been seeing, with me working from home most of this past year.

Problems I'm having with my Edge:
  • It has a pretty restricted airflow. A bit more restricted than the Arizer portables I've had, and more like how I remember log vapes being. I know this is sort of an unavoidable byproduct of the size and capacity of the vape, and I was fine with it when it was new, but that leads me to my next issue...
  • It frequently clogs up (around the air intake holes on the bottom). I don't know if it happens so fast because 90% of the time I use it inverted on my bubbler? I've used a pin to unclog the holes when they get really bad, but even after, the airflow is more restricted than it was new. To the point where I feel like I get headaches from drawing too hard on it. This is the main issue I need to resolve, and my main motivation to upgrade.
  • The plastic accessory adapter (that the water pipe adapter attaches through) no longer snaps tightly to the vape, and can come off mid-use. I've recently ordered a new adapter part, which I think should resolve this, but I feel like the design of how these adapter snap on will just unavoidably lead to the new one getting loose over time.
  • The load size, while perfect for my solo use, is not adequate for 2 or more people.
  • The taste of the vapor just isn't great once you start approaching 400F and/or after load has under heat for a length of time. I feel that the large amount of conduction could be contributing to this.
So, what I'm looking for in my new vape:
  • Portability is irrelevant, since my Edge will still fill that duty most likely. Though I'm still open to suggestions of portables, if they meet the other requirements (like, I've been looking into the Mighty)
  • Convection-only, or at least convection-dominant heating.
  • Higher airflow. The Edge feels like I'm sucking a thick milkshake through a straw, I'd rather something that's more like the resistance of water through a straw, at the most.
  • 18mm gong adapter compatible, this is a necessity
  • Slightly larger loading area. I like to be conservative in my usage, so I don't want anything massive. Ideally it would be something that I can still satisfyingly vape an Edge dosing capsule's worth of herb in (without it feeling like mostly hot air), but then also have the capability of loading about 2x as much into it, for groups.
  • Easy to clean the vapor AND air intake path. I don't want another vape that's going to clog up after a year or so, and then taste like old abv and stem honey for the rest of it's existence. I'm tech-savvy and work on electronics, so even if something requires some minor disassembly to clean, I'm cool with that.

I was thinking about a Mighty, but then I see some people saying that the loading area is massive and vapor is thin with smaller loads. I'm interested in seeing specific measurements of load size comparisons. I do see that they have dosing capsules for the Mighty as well, which is probably what has me leaning towards it so much, because of how much I like the convenience of my Edge capsules. But then, I wonder if there would be enough of a difference between the Edge and the Mighty to justify the purchase in the end?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any suggestions!

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Fuck a Mighty. You have a bunch of excellent options for home use convection portables. My favorites are the Splinter Z (discontinued but available used on r/entexchange and the fc classifieds), Milaana, Sticky Brick, and Tinymight.

The Mighty is an overpriced conduction dinosaur with crap efficiency, an aluminum oven, a plastic vapor path, and a plastic body that looks like an eighties walkie-talkie. The dosing capsules add even more conduction.

You're sure to get a log recommendation almost immediately. I never warmed up to the Enano I owned for a year. Didn't care for the slow heat up, vague temp dial, and its bullshit usable range from like 5.5 to 7. I also like to temp step and nobody has satisfied me that you can really do that with a log since it takes a minute or two to change temps.

I also have an Edge that's been relegated to a hiking vape where I'd worry about dropping my Tinymight.

And yeah, fuck those clog-prone glass stems with the built-in screens like the Edge and the ancient Arizer offerings all use. While I recommend a Tinymight for its punchy heater and consistent performance, I only use mine with an inverted Splinter stem and a custom j-hook, which offers an easily adjustable bowl size and excellent cooling not to mention taking the stainless steel cooling unit out of the equation. If a clogging stem bothers you the included short stem on the Tinymight won't fully win you over to what a handy, powerful portable it is.

You'll also get recommendations for a Tetra P80 but those will come with the caveat that you can't actually order one: you have to wait for a batch drop and then frantically try to check out before someone else does since items aren't automatically removed from their cart when they sell. I owned a Tubo X a while back but haven't tried a Tetra yet because of the hassle of batch drops. I'm also a bad fit for a vape designed around an enclosed, modest Wismec mod: I'm heavily invested in Splinters and have grown accustomed to their modest prices and modular design that's let me upgrade my mods three or four times now to get improved performance from the same heater.

If you haven't tried a Sticky Brick put that on your list to try eventually. My og has a great bong-like ritual, a huge bowl, excellent flavor and a nice open draw. The only reason I don't use it more is that I can't resist killing a bowl in two or three huge hits.

Last edited:

hinglemccringleberry

FWIW, I had both the Edge and a Milaana 3, thinking I would equally rotate between both but the 'Lanna experience kicked the snot out of the Edge experience so hard that I sold the Edge, almost involuntarily. I had alot of the same issues you do. The Edge is a great device but there are other (more expensive) vapes that are clearly a cut above.

The Laana checks all of your boxes except the bigger chamber size, but you could use a rimless basket screen to create a bigger loading area. The rimmed basket screens that I use are very close to the capacity of the Edge chamber, but maybe a bit smaller. And you might not be a fan of the unregulated power. Me personally, I love it to death. Using the Fury was boring in comparison. It's really special having full control of that heater and being able to get deeper extraction whilst getting much better high-temp flavor. But if you're trying to share with friends it might be a pain in the ass trying to get them into it. So Tinymight would be better in that case.

And then there's the issue of RBT being out of business and only being able to score a Milaana via the used market and/or their Instagram auctions, so these may/may not be dealbreakers for you. But hell, it might still be easier to get your hands on one than a Tetra P80. So if full convection that bests the Edge is what you're after, you'll also want to check out the Tinymight obviously, and the Sticky Brick lineup if you're into butane power. Tubo Evic if you're into searching for unicorns. The Bowle and Airvape Legacy would also be worth looking at. There are others as well that I'm forgetting right now.

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I don't know if it happens so fast because 90% of the time I use it inverted on my bubbler?
Mine got so bad as I only use it on a bong that I used warm 100% ISO in an eyedropper and kept filling the bowl until it started to run clear out of the bottom hole then fan dried it overnight before using again. I have done this at least 3 times now with only great results, as stated, 100% ISO.

I also like to temp step and nobody has satisfied me that you can really do that with a log since it takes a minute or two to change temps.
I used to run both my WoodScents at different voltages with VVPS that have LED voltmeters on them for precise control.

I've been looking into the Mighty)
I would skip this and recommend 2xWS or a Boundless Tera if you like waterpipes.(comes with a WPA in the box)..hard to beat a Tera on a bong but it is possible,
View attachment 5974
A Plenty is also a great option that can be easily adapted but does take some feeding to shine,
View attachment 5975
View attachment 5976

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
As long as you are okay with a desktop plugin vape (which I HIGHLY recommend for home use, because it's hard to find a battery-powered portable that can rival the high-powered desktop vapes), then I would first recommend the Flowerpot, from Newvape. It's one of the most powerful, and versatile (customizable to your vaping style) vapes on the market right now. And after that I would recommend a log vape. Log vapes are amongst the most efficient extractors on the market right now. You can literally vape a crumb in a log, if that's all you have. For a log, I would recommend a Woodscents log from Ed's TnT. Woodscents is not the cheapest log out there, but it is a very high quality product, and it works with Dynavap tips and comes with a Dynavap tip and stem, which gives you a fully functional separate Dynavap Vapcap vaporizer along with the log.

Last edited:

Scuba Steve Tokes

A Plenty is also a great option that can be easily adapted but does take some feeding to shine,
View attachment 5975
View attachment 5976
A Plenty is a great option if you are interested in another session style. Although it is a hybrid it produces very high quality vapor, even tastier and potentially thicker than the volcano. I purchased one from S&B for a month ago and I still consider it the best and best value buy I’ve made to this day.

I was picking my first vape and what convinced me to pull the trigger on the Plenty is a friend of mine told me his brother got one over ten years ago and it still works like a charm. Plus you’d have to try to hurt the thing, or to hurt something with it if the chamber is screwed on. The thing is super safe and rock solid.

Take off the SS coil and throw a jhook on it for better flavor or run it to a hydra base then to the jhook like I do and session like a genteleman. The flexible tubing pieces are great for attaching whips to the plenty and to glass, just fold them over themselves two to three times. I also like to throw a 14 to 18 mm drop down adapter and put a hydratube on top too, that way I can position it so the weight will make it lean on the brush stand side rather than the other. I also got a connect knockoff from DHgate that will allow me to run the plenty to four whips for party time once corona is scarce.

You can get it for $192 on dankriot and I would not worry about getting a model that wasn’t made recently, they all work great from what I’ve read.
If you want something that isn’t session style to compliment your existing session style vape you might consider the Terp Torch. I ordered one and the one I got had a really dirty heating element when it arrived, see Terp Torch thread post 406 for pics. I’m in the process of exchanging it for a cleaner one now. You can use the Terp Torch to power a Sticky Brick or many other vapes you’d use a torch for. I definitely want a DynaVap and a Sticky Brick eventually and I like that the Terp Torch could play nicely with them once They are added to my collection. You can use a basket screen and an 18mm to 14mm adapter to use the same amount in a fury edge dosing cap. The smaller chamber improves performance, and eliminates the need to stir.

Terp Torch website is under maintenance but Sneaky Pete sells the kits for the same price, $180.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Cannot go wrong with a logvape. The Underdogs have great variety of stems and cores ,also each one is a looker,i suggest hitting the thread OR the official site to get to know the various options .

LesPlenty

Company Rep
You guys should have put a fine mesh steel screen on the chamber floor of the Fury from day
It has been since new, this problem occurs when vapor blow back condenses in the air intake tube. This happens when I replace the carb cap on the cleisen or when placing the unit back on a bong after clearing. I even use the F2 as a carb cap.

vapirtoo

Hmmm, Sixstrings, you had me going back sucking on my SV3 to check restriction,
and the pull was comparable to a Sticky Brick OG with a clean screen. Moderate effort
easier than sucking soda through a straw. IMHO
I only listed this vape because of zero maintenance and powerful hits.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
FWIW, I had both the Edge and a Milaana 3, thinking I would equally rotate between both but the 'Lanna experience kicked the snot out of the Edge experience so hard that I sold the Edge, almost involuntarily. I had alot of the same issues you do. The Edge is a great device but there are other (more expensive) vapes that are clearly a cut above.

The Laana checks all of your boxes except the bigger chamber size, but you could use a rimless basket screen to create a bigger loading area. The rimmed basket screens that I use are very close to the capacity of the Edge chamber, but maybe a bit smaller. And you might not be a fan of the unregulated power. Me personally, I love it to death. Using the Fury was boring in comparison. It's really special having full control of that heater and being able to get deeper extraction whilst getting much better high-temp flavor. But if you're trying to share with friends it might be a pain in the ass trying to get them into it. So Tinymight would be better in that case.

And then there's the issue of RBT being out of business and only being able to score a Milaana via the used market and/or their Instagram auctions, so these may/may not be dealbreakers for you. But hell, it might still be easier to get your hands on one than a Tetra P80. So if full convection that bests the Edge is what you're after, you'll also want to check out the Tinymight obviously, and the Sticky Brick lineup if you're into butane power. Tubo Evic if you're into searching for unicorns. The Bowle and Airvape Legacy would also be worth looking at. There are others as well that I'm forgetting right now.

@steiner666
https://www.reddit.com/r/EntExchange/comments/lnl79c

Scuba Steve Tokes

I do love the idea of ripping a Milana and shouting Lanaaaaaaa! Like archer does. I think it would be good for the soul, self-care one might say :rofl:

I would need to research how long it lasts and box mods but I really wanted a splinter until I realized it would be hard to find. Looks like a Milana would be easy enough to to find though.

flammy

If a desktop, consider the herborizer or Vapbong. If you are considering portable, a Tube or Tetra would be what I'd recommend. All of those options are convection, have fairly open draw resistance and can manage both large and small loads.

Scuba Steve Tokes

It looks like you have a lot of really good options laid out. I think if you were to decide on what pace of session you want it would help thin out the list. I would say pick a price point you are comfortable with but consider getting two different of convection convection vapes to see what style you prefer rather than sinking big bucks on one. For example I got a Terp Torch to see if I enjoy that style of use. If I end up liking that style I may consider the Flowerpot, Herborizer, or Supreme when the Terp Torch gives out. The point I’m trying to make is you could get a flip brick (2019 update version) and a whip style party vape, or log, or Milana and reasonably priced box mod for less than for less than the price of some of the vapes mentioned. I’m sure they are all fantastic options but I’m all about the different experiences from different vapes.

The Terp Torch and the other vapes with exposed hot bits used to scare me. Shortly after I started using 50/50 CBD and regular flower the Plenty started to bug my lungs from such long sessions and I settled on the Terp torch so I could take massive hits of CBD and efficiently micro dose with regular flower in a very quick session. I have chronic nerve pain that is not well conrolled by my meds and I vape for spot as well as general pain relief and sometimes anxiety. Even if I cough after every for five hits my lungs will still be in better shape than 40 min of vaping with the Plenty. Still love my Plenty though and if I didn’t have medical needs it would be more than enough vape for me. One might say it leaves you with “Plenty” of vape to spare. I love how safe it is, all screwed together with a jhook on top it would be hard for it to hurt anything or vice-versa.

My favorite CBD reviewer Shabazz points to Elli Hou Farms for the best value flower and I can attest to great therapeutic benefit at dirt cheap prices for the smalls. It was less than $8 an oz when I ordered an lb and I was able to get 4 different strains for every occasion. just email them. I’m not associated just an informed consumer! I do not mean to distract from your search by bringing up my vaping habits and CBD. I shared this because I believe it might help you pick the best vape for you. Also since you are new to vaping (like me) I think you would do well to see if you like CBD before buying a new vape, it really changed how I vape and what I look for in vape. It is not my intent to derail this thread so please PM me any questions off the topic of convection vapes.

Scuba Steve Tokes,
Reactions: Ramahs

steiner666

Serial vapist
Wow, thanks everyone! There are definitely a lot of new vape names on the market since the last time I was hunting for something new. I'm going to spend some time looking through all of the above recommendations and might pop back with some follow up questions, or at least to let you all know what I decide to go with. Thanks again!

Scuba Steve Tokes

With parts of the US experiencing power outages I’ve been giving butane vapes another look. I just concluded a bunch of research on Sticky Bricks and now I want a Hydrobrick. It is said they are the are the hardest hitting of the pack. I’ve never used any of them personally just watched videos and read reviews.

Scuba Steve Tokes,
Reactions: Shit Snacks

Shit Snacks

With parts of the US experiencing power outages I’ve been giving butane vapes another look. I just concluded a bunch of research on Sticky Bricks and now I want a Hydrobrick. It is said they are the are the hardest hitting of the pack. I’ve never used any of them personally just watched videos and read reviews.

They actually all hit the same, but the hydro brick is a great design and going through water is my favorite way to use these and how I learned with the daisy and a whip adapter through water way back when...

Scuba Steve Tokes

Since I recommended it I feel obligated to share with you that it is important to use the purest butane you can get your paws on for the Sticky Brick since you inhale the products of the combustion. In theory they are just CO2 and H2O, because a jet lighter burns so hot all the butane is combusted, but if you get cheap butane it may be mixed with other stuff so make sure to do some research to find a pure, highly filtered butane that doesn’t leave a taste. Vector, Colbri, and Whip-It are all brands that look promising but please do your own research or ask some of the members here what they use. Also if you buy a lighter purge the butane and fill it with the good stuff. Just learned all this since last time I posted.

They actually all hit the same
Holy Shit Snacks that’s good to know, thanks for setting the record straight! :tup:

This is why I love FC, people here will tell it to you like it is. it’s hard for me to figure stuff like that out from watching demos and reviews or reading articles.

Shit Snacks

Since I recommended it I feel obligated to share with you that it is important to use the purest butane you can get your paws on for the Sticky Brick since you inhale the products of the combustion. In theory they are just CO2 and H2O, because a jet lighter burns so hot all the butane is combusted, but if you get cheap butane it may be mixed with other stuff so make sure to do some research to find a pure, highly filtered butane that doesn’t leave a taste. Vector, Colbri, and Whip-It are all brands that look promising but please do your own research or ask some of the members here what they use. Also if you buy a lighter purge the butane and fill it with the good stuff. Just learned all this since last time I posted.

Holy Shit Snacks that’s good to know, thanks for setting the record straight! :tup:

This is why I love FC, people here will tell it to you like it is. it’s hard for me to figure stuff like that out from watching demos and reviews or reading articles.

Yeah its just the differences in the design form factors that can affect things, but the effects and the vapor signature itself with any direct torch pure convection vape is going to be the same in my experience.

Texus

Agree with the recs of the Vapbong, especially if you are looking for the opposite of the restricted draw you mentioned with the Fury.

Another lovely option would be the Ditanium. You can use the whip for water pieces, and a glass whipless attachment from Sneaky Pete or a DDave Ditanium mod kit will give you a 100% glass path for the vapor. AND if you are a concentrate person, you can dab too, or do simultaneous combo hits (if concentrate is a part of the plan, be sure to grab the titanium carb cap.

Top Bottom