A good convection vape for at home, to compliment my Fury Edge

steiner666

Serial vapist
Mine got so bad as I only use it on a bong that I used warm 100% ISO in an eyedropper and kept filling the bowl until it started to run clear out of the bottom hole then fan dried it overnight before using again. I have done this at least 3 times now with only great results, as stated, 100% ISO.

I'm assuming that 91% iso would also do the trick? Prob just with more time to evaporate the 9% distilled water in it?

Log vape. Look up Underdog or HI.

Years back, I owned a Woodeez (s/p?) and Aromazap, and have used a Purple Days. While I liked them well enough, I found that they also had somewhat restricted airflow and only worked well with the tiniest of bubblers. I just remember that my Solo felt like a huge upgrade overall at the time. Is there much difference in the Underdog/HI vs the log vapes of a decade ago?

steiner666,
Reactions: LesPlenty

CurryLeafTreehugger

I'm assuming that 91% iso would also do the trick? Prob just with more time to evaporate the 9% distilled water in it?

Years back, I owned a Woodeez (s/p?) and Aromazap, and have used a Purple Days. While I liked them well enough, I found that they also had somewhat restricted airflow and only worked well with the tiniest of bubblers. I just remember that my Solo felt like a huge upgrade overall at the time. Is there much difference in the Underdog/HI vs the log vapes of a decade ago?
YES.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I'm assuming that 91% iso would also do the trick
Give it an extra day to dry out just to be safe.
Is there much difference in the Underdog/HI vs the log vapes of a decade ago?
I love my WoodScents log vape but it can get a bit restrictive if you use more than a small load...that is why I run 2,
1614137493681.jpg

CurryLeafTreehugger

The newer log vapes are head and shouilders above the older versions. Try an Alpha Dog if you want large loads. Just remember, a little goes a long way with a log vape.

CurryLeafTreehugger,
Reactions: Ramahs
So, I've had a good number of vapes over the years, but for the past couple years or so I've really only been using the Fury Edge (gifted most of my old spares away to stoners in need this past year). While I think the Edge is a great device for the price, and for portability, it's been having a bit of trouble keeping up with the increased use it's been seeing, with me working from home most of this past year.

Problems I'm having with my Edge:
  • It has a pretty restricted airflow. A bit more restricted than the Arizer portables I've had, and more like how I remember log vapes being. I know this is sort of an unavoidable byproduct of the size and capacity of the vape, and I was fine with it when it was new, but that leads me to my next issue...
  • It frequently clogs up (around the air intake holes on the bottom). I don't know if it happens so fast because 90% of the time I use it inverted on my bubbler? I've used a pin to unclog the holes when they get really bad, but even after, the airflow is more restricted than it was new. To the point where I feel like I get headaches from drawing too hard on it. This is the main issue I need to resolve, and my main motivation to upgrade.
  • The plastic accessory adapter (that the water pipe adapter attaches through) no longer snaps tightly to the vape, and can come off mid-use. I've recently ordered a new adapter part, which I think should resolve this, but I feel like the design of how these adapter snap on will just unavoidably lead to the new one getting loose over time.
  • The load size, while perfect for my solo use, is not adequate for 2 or more people.
  • The taste of the vapor just isn't great once you start approaching 400F and/or after load has under heat for a length of time. I feel that the large amount of conduction could be contributing to this.
So, what I'm looking for in my new vape:
  • Portability is irrelevant, since my Edge will still fill that duty most likely. Though I'm still open to suggestions of portables, if they meet the other requirements (like, I've been looking into the Mighty)
  • Convection-only, or at least convection-dominant heating.
  • Higher airflow. The Edge feels like I'm sucking a thick milkshake through a straw, I'd rather something that's more like the resistance of water through a straw, at the most.
  • 18mm gong adapter compatible, this is a necessity
  • Slightly larger loading area. I like to be conservative in my usage, so I don't want anything massive. Ideally it would be something that I can still satisfyingly vape an Edge dosing capsule's worth of herb in (without it feeling like mostly hot air), but then also have the capability of loading about 2x as much into it, for groups.
  • Easy to clean the vapor AND air intake path. I don't want another vape that's going to clog up after a year or so, and then taste like old abv and stem honey for the rest of it's existence. I'm tech-savvy and work on electronics, so even if something requires some minor disassembly to clean, I'm cool with that.

I was thinking about a Mighty, but then I see some people saying that the loading area is massive and vapor is thin with smaller loads. I'm interested in seeing specific measurements of load size comparisons. I do see that they have dosing capsules for the Mighty as well, which is probably what has me leaning towards it so much, because of how much I like the convenience of my Edge capsules. But then, I wonder if there would be enough of a difference between the Edge and the Mighty to justify the purchase in the end?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Watching this.

By the way, there is a lot of folks who don't like the mighty. Its more conduction not convection.

What did you go with in the end?

I've actually been thinking of going to the Edge. Heard the Rogue is coming out with them.

The sucking through a straw thing is a good analogy. I kind of get that with the Firefly 2+

Im thinking of getting something new

lifeisgoodnow,
FWIW, I had both the Edge and a Milaana 3, thinking I would equally rotate between both but the 'Lanna experience kicked the snot out of the Edge experience so hard that I sold the Edge, almost involuntarily. I had alot of the same issues you do. The Edge is a great device but there are other (more expensive) vapes that are clearly a cut above.

The Laana checks all of your boxes except the bigger chamber size, but you could use a rimless basket screen to create a bigger loading area. The rimmed basket screens that I use are very close to the capacity of the Edge chamber, but maybe a bit smaller. And you might not be a fan of the unregulated power. Me personally, I love it to death. Using the Fury was boring in comparison. It's really special having full control of that heater and being able to get deeper extraction whilst getting much better high-temp flavor. But if you're trying to share with friends it might be a pain in the ass trying to get them into it. So Tinymight would be better in that case.

And then there's the issue of RBT being out of business and only being able to score a Milaana via the used market and/or their Instagram auctions, so these may/may not be dealbreakers for you. But hell, it might still be easier to get your hands on one than a Tetra P80. So if full convection that bests the Edge is what you're after, you'll also want to check out the Tinymight obviously, and the Sticky Brick lineup if you're into butane power. Tubo Evic if you're into searching for unicorns. The Bowle and Airvape Legacy would also be worth looking at. There are others as well that I'm forgetting right now.
Yes but is the Milaana 3 have an isolated path like the edge does? So many vapes today have heat passing over or not isolated circuits.

lifeisgoodnow,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yes but is the Milaana 3 have an isolated path like the edge does? So many vapes today have heat passing over or not isolated circuits.

Milaana has no electronics like most vapes, air path is direct through wood to glass to steel mesh and ceramic heater then steel mesh screen and then through herbs to create the vapor, another mesh screen and glass stem. Most glass stem based pure convection on demand works this way, regardless of regulation. Edge is nice bc it is a session conduction hybrid device that sort of mirrored their design (though stems aren't used the same way anymore in HR vapes)

Shit Snacks,

Gigsabits53

Cannot go wrong with a logvape. The Underdogs have great variety of stems and cores ,also each one is a looker,i suggest hitting the thread OR the official site to get to know the various options .
This would be my answer as well. A good log vape is just nice to have around.

Milaana has no electronics like most vapes, air path is direct through wood to glass to steel mesh and ceramic heater then steel mesh screen and then through herbs to create the vapor, another mesh screen and glass stem. Most glass stem based pure convection on demand works this way, regardless of regulation. Edge is nice bc it is a session conduction hybrid device that sort of mirrored their design (though stems aren't used the same way anymore in HR vapes)
I was watching the teardown here. Yeah you are right it doesn't have a circuit board just a connection to the button, and the positive and negative of a battery, and then a connection to the heater. Seems fairly isolated. How do you like this compared to the Fury Edge? Are they day and night apart?

lifeisgoodnow,

Shit Snacks

I was watching the teardown here. Yeah you are right it doesn't have a circuit board just a connection to the button, and the positive and negative of a battery, and then a connection to the heater. Seems fairly isolated. How do you like this compared to the Fury Edge? Are they day and night apart?

Yep, day and night, I'd suggest perusing their threads!

For example, I almost literally never use my edge lol

Glass stem based pure convection is my favorite since beta testing the OG Milaana and Zion (though I love FW7 too!)

Shit Snacks,
Yep, day and night, I'd suggest perusing their threads!

For example, I almost literally never use my edge lol

Glass stem based pure convection is my favorite since beta testing the OG Milaana and Zion (though I love FW7 too!)
But the edge now comes with a glass stem from what I've seen in the package. Or at least as an accessory. I'm just curious if there is any major difference between the two. Meaning, if you had to choose which one to go with out of the two would it always be the milanna? And if so is it taste, airflow just overall experience?

lifeisgoodnow,

Shit Snacks

But the edge now comes with a glass stem from what I've seen in the package. Or at least as an accessory.

You misunderstand, that's not the same thing at all... First off, the edge glass stems are just mouth pieces that go in the plastic mouthpiece, you are still loading the steel bowl or capsules... If you were to use the Fury 2 glass stem, then that one does allow you to load the stem as your bowl (with fixed glass screen) though it is actually more like Arizer vapes bc... Fury us not pure convection on demand! It is hybrid session conduction, so even if you remove the glass stems and try to use it with more convection style it is still not going to be anywhere the same thing at all as a actual pure convection glass stem based on demand vape, for one thing the actual heaters are totally different and in Milaana (and many others) the heaters are much much larger and also have more material and flavor purity in my experience...

I'm just curious if there is any major difference between the two.

Again I strongly suggest reading the threads, skimming through them even, or at least the ask FC posts because many of them are new users asking for recommendations and so they are comparisons of a variety of vape designs...

Meaning, if you had to choose which one to go with out of the two would it always be the milanna? And if so is it taste, airflow just overall experience?

It totally depends on the user, what you are looking for, I of course would always go for the Milaana but it is obviously not in the same class, being wood and glass, artisan style even though the three is mass produced, whereas Edge is all mass-produced plastics and metals, you know? It's not as simple as airflow, because yes the air flow is different, but as I said the heaters and the heating technology is completely different, so the vapor signature the vapor itself the effects everything about it is going to be different, furthermore as I mentioned the materials, the flavor is so much more superior in Milaana, it is pure ceramic steel and glass, but also because it is pure convection on demand in general that tends to have better flavor in my experience, compared to most conduction vapes and especially session conduction vapes even if they are hybrids...

I hope this helps clarify for you further!

You misunderstand, that's not the same thing at all... First off, the edge glass stems are just mouth pieces that go in the plastic mouthpiece, you are still loading the steel bowl or capsules... If you were to use the Fury 2 glass stem, then that one does allow you to load the stem as your bowl (with fixed glass screen) though it is actually more like Arizer vapes bc... Fury us not pure convection on demand! It is hybrid session conduction, so even if you remove the glass stems and try to use it with more convection style it is still not going to be anywhere the same thing at all as a actual pure convection glass stem based on demand vape, for one thing the actual heaters are totally different and in Milaana (and many others) the heaters are much much larger and also have more material and flavor purity in my experience...

Again I strongly suggest reading the threads, skimming through them even, or at least the ask FC posts because many of them are new users asking for recommendations and so they are comparisons of a variety of vape designs...

It totally depends on the user, what you are looking for, I of course would always go for the Milaana but it is obviously not in the same class, being wood and glass, artisan style even though the three is mass produced, whereas Edge is all mass-produced plastics and metals, you know? It's not as simple as airflow, because yes the air flow is different, but as I said the heaters and the heating technology is completely different, so the vapor signature the vapor itself the effects everything about it is going to be different, furthermore as I mentioned the materials, the flavor is so much more superior in Milaana, it is pure ceramic steel and glass, but also because it is pure convection on demand in general that tends to have better flavor in my experience, compared to most conduction vapes and especially session conduction vapes even if they are hybrids...

I hope this helps clarify for you further!
Yes very helpful. So out of all your vapes you own. Which is your daily driver. You go to when you want to get a few hits and get on with your day?

Shit Snacks

Yes very helpful. So out of all your vapes you own. Which is your daily driver. You go to when you want to get a few hits and get on with your day?

I don't really have a typical situation now, been working from home the past year, but regardless overall for me it is Tinymight hands down and Firewood7 is close behind... Don't get me wrong I love my RBT Vapes, beta tested original Zion and Milaana, but the all-in-one simplicity and consistency has me reaching for my TM and FW7 daily... Tafée Bowle has been pretty daily as well, and I do work in those RBT Vapes (SplinterZ mostly) along with TetraP80 as Collyland Aromatizer bandit is my go to desktop for weekends and occasional evenings, new one coming soon so I'll probably be using it more often at first (though I also just got a G43 from another member)... Bottom line if you want one overall vape, my vote still goes to the TM, but there are a lot of great options now, way more than there used to be, for the on demand full power in a portable!

Top Bottom