510, 420 … „330MV“ / DIY 510-Mod-Vape

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Not much room with the triple posts on this one. Had more success with the other Fishbone clones. But yes, should work.

Beware that with all these glass tops there's a lot of variation / tolerances and I recommend you to buy many of them to find one with a good fit. Sometimes they don't press on the o-rings enough and there's a high risk of having everything fall with the added weight of the stem. Other times it's the mouthpiece end that is either too loose or too tight.

Ah and get the clear color versions, others have a damn coating on the exterior and it peels off over time. No idea what this crap is but it's clearly not a tinted glass, since when you scratch it it's clear underneath...

XpeeN

Will do all of that, thanks
Edit: Just bought those 2: glass pack , RDA to use his deck. Technically, the deck should fit nicely. I'll let you know if it worked as I want it to.

Last edited:

XpeeN

Here's my second attempt to DIY 510 atty. Unfortunately the 14.4 mm stem goes too deep (There's a photo of it on the album), do you think it's unsafe to use it?
Now I'm trying to figure out how do I pack the stem without the herb falling directly to the coils (If the stem was bigger, it could use a screen like you see on the album, but...yeah I can't RN). My guess is to use 3 layer screens inside the stem: 1st to make sure herb won't go into my mouth, 2nd will act like a screen basket, and the 3rd one will be used as a dosing capsule lid, so the herb won't fall down. It's funky AF though, so idk I'll try to think of a better solution.
Any tips or suggestions in general?

CaleidosCope

Here's my second attempt to DIY 510 atty. Unfortunately the 14.4 mm stem goes too deep (There's a photo of it on the album), do you think it's unsafe to use it?
Now I'm trying to figure out how do I pack the stem without the herb falling directly to the coils (If the stem was bigger, it could use a screen like you see on the album, but...yeah I can't RN). My guess is to use 3 layer screens inside the stem: 1st to make sure herb won't go into my mouth, 2nd will act like a screen basket, and the 3rd one will be used as a dosing capsule lid, so the herb won't fall down. It's funky AF though, so idk I'll try to think of a better solution.
Any tips or suggestions in general?
... about your screens... I am still using the rogue-dosing capsules. To stop them falling down or else I actually use some stainless-steel-wire (SS316L / 24 gauge) inside the glasadapter to hold them in place. In the pic the lid of the capsule is missing. Most of the particles will stick to the walls of the glas. The weed does not tend to fall out... it sticks together...after 2nd draw stirring its a different story. ;)

IMG_1395.JPGIMG_1396.JPG
Have fun!

Last edited:

XpeeN

... about your screens... I am still using the rogue-dosing capsules. To stop them falling down or else I actually use some stainless-steel-wire (SS316L / 24 gauge) inside the glasadapter to hold them in place. In the pic the lid of the capsule is missing. Most of the particles will stick to the walls of the glas. The weed does not tend to fall out... it sticks together...after 2nd draw stirring its a different story. ;)

View attachment 12743View attachment 12744
Have fun!
Nice, I'm using 14mm stem, so a capsule won't fit in mine :( . I actually did that 3 screen layers thing and I think it works pretty well. That 3 coil setup in the other hand didn't xD. I'll try that other coil setup soon. I actually flat that coil to make some space between the stem, here's the result.

GI

Nice, I'm using 14mm stem, so a capsule won't fit in mine :( . I actually did that 3 screen layers thing and I think it works pretty well. That 3 coil setup in the other hand didn't xD. I'll try that other coil setup soon. I actually flat that coil to make some space between the stem, here's the result.
Hi, what kind of atomizer deck is ? I see many hole for the air input, or I'm wrong ?

GI,

XpeeN

I twicked the coil a bit and tried it last night, and man it worked well! I'm still not sure how the fact that the coil isn't directly above the airflow matters, but I don't have much choice in this setup. The 14mm stem with that triple layer screen works great too, feels a bit like a dosing capsule :)

Last edited:

XpeeN

Hii, long time no see.
2 new things to tell you guys:
1. I searched a bit for a deck similar to the glow's and I saw an interesting RDA that the deck itself might work really well (although there's no bottom airflow), I'm too afraid of the PEI plastic cover to give it a try though. Anyone knows something similar but without plastic?
2. I've made a DIY 510 that works quite well, I used the RTA's chimney as a bowl. It might interest someone, IDK

CaleidosCope

Hii, long time no see.
2 new things to tell you guys:
1. I searched a bit for a deck similar to the glow's and I saw an interesting RDA that the deck itself might work really well (although there's no bottom airflow), I'm too afraid of the PEI plastic cover to give it a try though. Anyone knows something similar but without plastic?
2. I've made a DIY 510 that works quite well, I used the RTA's chimney as a bowl. It might interest someone, IDK
Hi! Oh wow... (2) what a futuristic-pretty ;). (1) I am searching for an RDA with bottom airflow, and two sealing rings. Like the ones used in the Stempods. But no real luck.

But I found a neat vape (Greendream / GLOW RCV 18 Dreamwood) that is not discontinued! Fine taste (some wood scents). I use it with my glas mouth pieces. (oh I just see... you have one of those! ;) - hey @XpeeN... sind wir vielleicht Nachbarn? ;) )

My news: Support your (almost) local glassblower! ... they deserve it!!! Thanks to Thomas EHLE. My beloved costum mouthpiece:

https://ibb.co/Y7vxvRX
https://ibb.co/n1sMJqK
https://ibb.co/RTWM57J

(Is inserting images, without a host, gone again?)

BTW: the capped basket screens from Ddave are really simple to "build" DIY. I love them. Cheap!

Last edited:

XpeeN

Hi! Oh wow... (2) what a futuristic-pretty ;).
Tnx :)
(1) I am searching for an RDA with bottom airflow, and two sealing rings. Like the ones used in the Stempods. But no real luck.
Well, this one doesn't have an AFC ring at the bottom, but you can control the airflow from below the base.
(Edit: This one might work for you too, just beware of the depth of the deck: https://www.fasttech.com/p/2601900
TBH, I think the glow's base will fit well to that deck. If I'm not mistaken, the glow's deck is also 22mm)
But I found a neat vape (Greendream / GLOW RCV 18 Dreamwood) that is not discontinued! Fine taste (some wood scents). I use it with my glas mouth pieces. (oh I just see... you have one of those! ;) -
Yeah, I do, and I LOVE it! How it is compared to your stempod?
hey @XpeeN... sind wir vielleicht Nachbarn? ;) )
Nope, sry :p
My news: Support your (almost) local glassblower! ... they deserve it!!! Thanks to Thomas EHLE. My beloved costum mouthpiece:

https://ibb.co/Y7vxvRX
https://ibb.co/n1sMJqK
https://ibb.co/RTWM57J

(Is inserting images, without a host, gone again?)

BTW: the capped basket screens from Ddave are really simple to "build" DIY. I love them. Cheap!
That's a nice looking stem!
And yeah, FC got some problems in these last few days.

Last edited:

CaleidosCope

Stempod and Glow are almost equal in performance. I like the wood scent (I just can judge from the "Brazilian peach" side). Maybe that changes over time? The glow is really well built.
The Stempod tastes "cleaner", no extra scents. The Glow is a little shorter (5mm) and lighter.

Both really cool Mod-Vapes.

Best investion in this system(s) was the Thelema-Mod, DNA250. With the firmware modded you can fire as long as you want. Fantastic! The 10sec limit is somewhat annoying. And I played around with the wire-heating-curves. Now it works for me, with a couple programs, like that:
200°C - Terpy,
220°C - get Started!,
240°C - butter to the fish!
and 260°C ...burn down the walls. And the flower looks like you would expect from the temps! ;). Mostly I use 260°C and don't hold the trigger that long...oh my laziness :rolleyes:
Well, this one doesn't have an AFC ring at the bottom, but you can control the airflow from below the base.
That looks interesting! I need a little more "worthy" or "solid" option for my purpose. The Glows-Base is well built like the Stempods ... there must be a mass-product out there... I keep on searching.

XpeeN

Stempod and Glow are almost equal in performance. I like the wood scent (I just can judge from the "Brazilian peach" side). Maybe that changes over time? The glow is really well built.
The Stempod tastes "cleaner", no extra scents. The Glow is a little shorter (5mm) and lighter.

Both really cool Mod-Vapes.

Best investion in this system(s) was the Thelema-Mod, DNA250. With the firmware modded you can fire as long as you want. Fantastic! The 10sec limit is somewhat annoying. And I played around with the wire-heating-curves. Now it works for me, with a couple programs, like that:
200°C - Terpy,
220°C - get Started!,
240°C - butter to the fish!
and 260°C ...burn down the walls. And the flower looks like you would expect from the temps! ;). Mostly I use 260°C and don't hold the trigger that long...oh my laziness :rolleyes:

That looks interesting! I need a little more "worthy" or "solid" option for my purpose. The Glows-Base is well built like the Stempods ... there must be a mass-product out there... I keep on searching.
Nice! ty!
Just yesterday I heard at Herbie v2's thread that DNAs can raise it to 15 secs, so search that function up.
Let me know if you find something, I'm searching too.
I'm using Wismec rxg3d with AF and it works wonderful.

breiter_fighter

Hello my friends! Hallo Nachbarn :cool:

I found this thread and it is really exciting to read.
I am very new to 510 Mods, but I want to create a Vape like mentioned above. At first thank you for sharing information it is a great help for me.
Right now I am at the point where I want to order an RDA. I just think about getting this Vandy Vape Phobia, it seems to be well tested and approved by @CaleidosCope and use it with some prebuild kanthal coils.
I also would like to have the option of using the deck as a base for my own woodwork copying the idea of the Glow. Do you think it will work with the phobia RDA or should I look for another deck?

I appreciate your vaping wisdom, enjoy your day :)

Btw, your Ehle Mouthpiece looks amazing beautiful :love:

Edit: one more question: what do you think about SS coils? As I understood they're good for TC but are there any health concerns when we use them dry?

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@breiter_fighter
velocity-24-style-rda-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer-w-bottom-feeder-pin-silver-stainless-steel-257mm-diameter.jpg

2353_6150.webp

SS coils are no concern as long as they dont glow.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
And this seems to be the difficult thing as I read from other threads.
I decided that I will go with kanthal coils for my first try. Wish me luck :clap:

And if somebody found a non-glowing SS coil Setup, feel free to share :)
You need a coil that is big enough,also properly running TC . It is not hard,just people are finding difficulties with e-cig hardware.

CaleidosCope

Hi! I just don't know where to put this new Lego-Project... so I drop it here! ;)

... the "pinky and the brain", then I saw "Quaroma"... oh man. And the Flowerpot is always on my mind...! Pretty! Powerful!!!

I got no name yet, but I got some parts for you. Easy-peasy. Lego-Style! ;) The DIY...

ONE OF THOSE E-NAIL-DABBING-STYLE-DRY-HERB-VAPEs-WITH-(ALMOST)-PURE-GLAS-AIRPATH

- Heater (AliExpress). 20mm coil will fit.
- Glass Activated Carbon Adapter 18.8 (Amazon.de).
- One Rimmed-dome-sieve.
- One 12mm ss-sieve, round.
- 3mm glas-beads (Amazon).
- Some Cooper-wire, uninsulated. Diameter 1.5mm and up.
- Bamboo-stick for the handle and some yarn.

First of all: One of the best DIY vapes I had so far in the fingers. Not because I built it that way... the working principle is fantastic!!! The performance is amazing. The operation is simple. My tinkering idea may save a little money and is also a tiny bit sexy... and I remain faithful to my system: Dosing-capsules and NS18.8.

Ready?
First some pictures... This is almost self-explanatory. ;)

(Thats the sobering moment when you realise that dropping a picture in the thread is not possible... ah, well...OK... links now... )

Here the RIG in action. 520°F! The Fahrenheit-thing is super exciting because I rather have a relation to celsius. I always have to google the values and have no feeling at all for the indicated values. 520°F tastes good, works well and looks good. Good starting point.

Now the philosophy behind this desktop vape: It's like coffee. You can stir instant coffee into hot water or you can take a strainer espresso machine, make it hand brewed paperfiltered...there are many ways. The fastest is not always the best. So take your time! Let the heat creep in. Preheat for 5 to 10 minutes. It's worth it!!!

If you look close at the last pic, you can see: This thing burns tables.
BTW: The ingredients are RED No.2/Super-Lemon-Haze. yummy.

Have fun!!! ;)

Last edited:

Hippie

Nice :tup:
I think Stu and Bulldozer made the 1st one of those
And Gloek79 made something similar recently with a male/male with a handle on the middle

And I'm stiiiiill waiting on a 16mm coil to make a Titi or something similar with an RBT stem lol
(I keep ordering them but am yet to receive one after about 5 attempts so far)

Also wanted to say this is a clever solution, if you're still looking for a body section for the 510 vape

CaleidosCope

Nice :tup:
I think Stu and Bulldozer made the 1st one of those
And Gloek79 made something similar recently with a male/male with a handle on the middle

And I'm stiiiiill waiting on a 16mm coil to make a Titi or something similar with an RBT stem lol
(I keep ordering them but am yet to receive one after about 5 attempts so far)

Also wanted to say this is a clever solution, if you're still looking for a body section for the 510 vape
Wonderful!
So i warmed up some old coffee! ;) - Nice! Thanks! I was sure I am not the first...

I love cork! :rockon:

BTW: I got Celsius! Some tweaking later...;)

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
That super long handle makes me nervous, you really want to avoid that kind of leverage with a glass friction fit coil.

Cool improv piece, my desktop thread was originally based around using an ashcatcher, but I didn’t like the extra dead length the glass joints added.

CaleidosCope

That super long handle makes me nervous, you really want to avoid that kind of leverage with a glass friction fit coil.

Cool improv piece, my desktop thread was originally based around using an ashcatcher, but I didn’t like the extra dead length the glass joints added.
Yeah... right! Made me nervous too... because it also doesn't get as hot (at the end) as you'd expect.
I shortened it (see the post before!) ;)

I'll try another pipe as well. With more stability. I only took the heater off yesterday to fill it up. That works great.

Thanx.

Edit: About the current operation: I need the handle to put it up and let it sit. The top end with the dome screen does not get crazy hot. I can touch it, hold it shut, play with it. Funny.

Last edited:

CaleidosCope

Hi. A cooper mantle helps a lot in my case. Lower temp settings etc.

Kudos to invertedisdead. You probably invented the vape-wheel in 2016! ;)

Last edited:
CaleidosCope,
Top Bottom