510, 420 … „330MV“ / DIY 510-Mod-Vape

CaleidosCope

Hello.

Since I am very enthusiastic about mod vapes I thought of something cheap and simple. But I think beginners and advanced will have fun with it.

Here is it: 330MV (330-Mod-Vape)

Inspired by: ModPod Labs, RastaBuddhaTao and all the other brilliant mod vapes. And LEGO.

Cost? It depends on what you already have. The prices I have paid, in Euro, are below. 1 € = 1,20 US$.

We need:

- A Mod (battery holder). I love temp control (TC) but in wattage mode it works too. Stainless steel wire is preferable. I love those notch coils (0.2*0.6MM (0.2ohm) - they heat up very fast. But everyone has his preferences.

- RDA („Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer“)

- A glass adapter. Bottom male 14.4, top female 18.8. If you can’t find one, look out for active-coal-holders for bongs.

- A glass mouthpiece. Best bang for money at the Shisha dealer of your choice. With a male 18.8. Or a male 14.4/18.8 or 18/18 WPA (Waterpipeadapter).

- Dome strainers

I think the pictures speak for themselves.

IMG_0892.JPGIMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0894.JPGIMG_0895.JPGIMG_0896.JPGIMG_0886.JPG

As a mouthpiece comes pretty much everything in question what has a 18.8 male. The best bang for money I have seen at the shisha supplier. 18.8 male hose adapter.

IMG_0897.JPG

Since the vape-RDA-mouthpieces are also determined somehow standardized, the 14.4 male should fit in pretty much any RDA.
He sits pretty tight. There is a rubber ring in a groove… you can play with diameters of the o-ring.

IMG_0889.JPG

Does the part get hot? Sure it does. Very hot!!! But it can be handled well. Maybe someone tinkers a cover... from wood! Or silicone! ... damn that I've seen somewhere before...hmmm ;)
Does it perform? Yes ;)

Shopping list:

The Mod is a Eleaf iStick Rim C 80W for round about 35€
VANDY VAPE RDA (Phobia) was about 12€
SSL-wire OR Notch Coils, 10pcs, 10€
Glass-adapter 14male/18female (https://www.ebay.de/itm/262961677693) was 8€
Mouthpiece (Shisha hose adapter) about 8€
Else? batteries, possibly charger

Have fun.

Last edited:

CaleidosCope

As addition:

Fatwood-Pipe (Broken-Pieces-Pipe)

It is sooooo "extra" tasty!
I think you call the wood type "spruce". Resinous to resinous!!! ;)

Pipe1.JPGPipe2.JPG

The pipe also works with a Prrl Neo, that's what I had actually made it for. The glass / silicone insert then stays away. Dome sieve inside.

Daily driver couple. Priorities: Functionality. Taste.

couple.jpg

Next Project: without the silicone! ;)

Pipe4.JPGPipe3.JPG

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
As addition:

Fatwood-Pipe (Broken-Pieces-Pipe)

It is sooooo "extra" tasty!
I think you call the wood type "spruce". Resinous to resinous!!! ;)

View attachment 7816View attachment 7817

The pipe also works with a Prrl Neo, that's what I had actually made it for. The glass / silicone insert then stays away. Dome sieve inside.

Daily driver couple. Priorities: Functionality. Taste.

View attachment 7820

Next Project: without the silicone! ;)

View attachment 7818View attachment 7819
Love the stempod aegis x combo!

CaleidosCope

I don't know where to put this... it belongs to any vape with NS18 Glasware that uses (dome)screens.

Rogue Dosing Capsules from Healthy Rips (Thanks to VapeWellness.co.uk)

IMG_1039.JPG
IMG_1040.JPGIMG_1041.JPG
IMG_1042.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_1049.JPGIMG_1048.JPG

This is my new favourite combo. You can twist and turn the dosing capsule in the bubble. Mouthpiece is narrow enough to stop it from falling out. And with some kind of breath-control... you can suck that baby up. ;)

The capsules fit really well. Working with my regular temp settings. Sturdy! Stainless steel... confirmed... price.. worth it!

Have fun

... and a new pipe. Cherry-wood.

IMG_1051.JPG
IMG_1052.JPGIMG_1054.JPG

Last edited:

shatter-reality

Shit I didn’t even consider using Notch Coils in my Stempod… could you make a video using them? I have been meaning to wrap a dual vertical coil on each side but PITA.

shatter-reality,

CaleidosCope

Shit I didn’t even consider using Notch Coils in my Stempod… could you make a video using them? I have been meaning to wrap a dual vertical coil on each side but PITA.
At least I found for my self that it kind of doesn't matter which super-coil you have. I fell back to stainless-steel-wire, 8 windings. With every different coil it is a learning curve. But you will get where you want. The Notchcoils heat up fast, but are fragile, and have less mass. With a one-batterie-mod I would use them more. You need a video for this?! ;). Just try them...

My journey still goes on. I am still a capsule Lover!!! More and more... ;)
Some shattered glas test tubes later...

IMG_1124.jpegIMG_1125.jpegIMG_1127.jpegIMG_1128.jpegIMG_1130.jpegIMG_1129.jpeg
IMG_1131.jpeg

Now I can use it "upside-down" without the capsule falling down the stem.
The spoon with magnet help you get the baby out. Did I say it is stainless...well its a little magnetic. ;).
Using it without the cap brings me closer to the plant. It is not so "sealed". In this setup you can get the capsule out by using the cap. Click it on an pull it out. Or like I mentioned ... magnet.

For the Stempod : I found for myself if I leave the o-ring out of the Stempod... I get hotspots. With the o-ring mounted it gets evenly brown. NO hotspots. Seal is crucial. And the capsule fit like my foot in the shoe. ;)

Have fun!

XpeeN

Since the vape-RDA-mouthpieces are also determined somehow standardized, the 14.4 male should fit in pretty much any RDA.
Did you attach the 14 male to 18 female adapter to a 810 connector? It doesn't seem to fit to mine.

XpeeN,
Reactions: arb

CaleidosCope

Did you attach the 14 male to 18 female adapter to a 810 connector? It doesn't seem to fit to mine.
Hi. Look at the pictures above. You have to stick the glasadapter into the RDA adapter. The electric (810) connector has nothing to do with it. Did I get something wrong?

Last edited:
CaleidosCope,

XpeeN

Hi. Look at the pictures above. You have to stick the glasadapter into the RDA adapter. The electric (810) connector has nothing to do with it. Did I get something wrong?
That's not the connector? It's the part that you'd connect the 810 drip tip. Maybe I got the whole concept wrong lol, I thought that 810 Is a common name for bigger the drip tip size, thus the part pointed at the picture above is its connector 😅.

So anyway, I meant to say that I have an RDA that fits a 810 drip tip, I removed the tip and the 'adapter' doesn't fit X: , I also check it's size and the diameter is ~12.5 mm.

CaleidosCope

That's not the connector? It's the part that you'd connect the 810 drip tip. Maybe I got the whole concept wrong lol, I thought that 810 Is a common name for bigger the drip tip size, thus the part pointed at the picture above is its connector 😅.

So anyway, I meant to say that I have an RDA that fits a 810 drip tip, I removed the tip and the 'adapter' doesn't fit X: , I also check it's size and the diameter is ~12.5 mm.
Dont worry. Now I get you! My RDA hole is 12,8mm. Glasadapter 14mm end - on the tip: Mine is 12,1mm.
In my setup I can stick the adapter at least 5mm into the rda. My phobia original drip tip is 12,5mm too.
Hmm... so I have just been "lucky" ? Sorry... I was just LEGOing on and it fitted in my case.

And thanks for the enlightenment! Now I know what 810 means. 😝

Last edited:

XpeeN

Dont worry. Now I get you! My RDA hole is 12,8mm. Glasadapter 14mm end - on the tip: Mine is 12,1mm.
In my setup I can stick the adapter at least 5mm into the rda. My phobia original drip tip is 12,5mm too.
Hmm... so I have just been "lucky" ? Sorry... I was just LEGOing on and it fitted in my case.

And thanks for the enlightenment! Now I know what 810 means. 😝
Haha the important part is that we understood each other :p
Good to know that only the end of the adapter is 14.5 mm. I actually tried with my Glow RCV18 v3 tip (that suppose to fit 14 mm joint), and now I understand why it didn't fit lol. I ordered an actual adapter. Hope it'll work :)

How's the vapor? Do you get hotspots? The adapter I order is smaller, so the herb will be closer to the coils. It'll be the improvised vaporizer that I'll throw at my friends when trying to convert them from combustion 😂, can't wait!

CaleidosCope

Haha the important part is that we understood each other :p
Good to know that only the end of the adapter is 14.5 mm. I actually tried with my Glow RCV18 v3 tip (that suppose to fit 14 mm joint), and now I understand why it didn't fit lol. I ordered an actual adapter. Hope it'll work :)

How's the vapor? Do you get hotspots? The adapter I order is smaller, so the herb will be closer to the coils. It'll be the improvised vaporizer that I'll throw at my friends when trying to convert them from combustion 😂, can't wait!
Haha! Great. If I compare it to the Stempod, almost equal vapor, if you have the system warmed up. But the flavour is super. I did not reach to the hotspot point in my usage. That doesn't mean it could, but I doubt. Too much turbulence. (May I dig it out and test it with the capsules.)

That brings me to hot spotting and dome screens: With dome screens, after the rim the heat can go everywhere. There where is less restriction there goes the most air/heat. With the capsules, I heat up the capsule while streaming hot air through it. The holes in the bottom (and cap) restrict and spread the air/heat. I see for myself that the herb is more evenly brown. (I hope that makes sense... didn't used deepl ;) )

You are right, the heating source IS a little further away from the herb. AND Glas is fantastic in cooling air!!! :rofl:
IMPROVISED VAPORIZER is totally true! Like a proof of concept. I had my fun with it, I hope you too!

EDIT.
Just did a little testing. The MV-330 in my capsule setup. Funny. Draw really slow. It did two heating cycles at approximately 215°C. The third got MORE flavour. At the fourth cycle I was thinking "hey, pull slower... press the button once more...and more...".
I did... What a mighty cloud !!! Up to 225°C until no vapor occurs. Judge the hot spotting by the pic. (No stirring!)

Did I mention this thing gets HOT?! :rofl:

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1161.jpgIMG_1164.jpg

Last edited:

XpeeN

Haha! Great. If I compare it to the Stempod, almost equal vapor, if you have the system warmed up. But the flavour is super. I did not reach to the hotspot point in my usage. That doesn't mean it could, but I doubt. Too much turbulence. (May I dig it out and test it with the capsules.)

That brings me to hot spotting and dome screens: With dome screens, after the rim the heat can go everywhere. There where is less restriction there goes the most air/heat. With the capsules, I heat up the capsule while streaming hot air through it. The holes in the bottom (and cap) restrict and spread the air/heat. I see for myself that the herb is more evenly brown. (I hope that makes sense... didn't used deepl ;) )

You are right, the heating source IS a little further away from the herb. AND Glas is fantastic in cooling air!!! :rofl:
IMPROVISED VAPORIZER is totally true! Like a proof of concept. I had my fun with it, I hope you too!

EDIT.
Just did a little testing. The MV-330 in my capsule setup. Funny. Draw really slow. It did two heating cycles at approximately 215°C. The third got MORE flavour. At the fourth cycle I was thinking "hey, pull slower... press the button once more...and more...".
I did... What a mighty cloud !!! Up to 225°C until no vapor occurs. Judge the hot spotting by the pic. (No stirring!)

Did I mention this thing gets HOT?! :rofl:

View attachment 9899

View attachment 9900View attachment 9901
Oh man, that looks like fun, can't wait to try it! The only thing that sucks is to not being able to use dosing capsules with this setup, but I guess that's my friends problem ;)

CaleidosCope

Oh man, that looks like fun, can't wait to try it! The only thing that sucks is to not being able to use dosing capsules with this setup, but I guess that's my friends problem ;)
Oh no! Not a problem. Scroll up and check out the pictures and text. The last pic IS a dosing capsule. The Storz-Bickels are another story. Actually they are to small to rest in the glasadapter. But the healthy-rips-capsules (mentioned above) are perfect. At least upside down.

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
009.jpg
005.jpg
004.jpg

I use jackpods I get from here.

CaleidosCope

I use jackpods I get from here.
Hey, cool! I didn't had them on my radar. Thanks. That looks tight!
What a nice amber :rockon:

Last edited:

XpeeN

I using the same capsules (got them with my RCV18), and IDK, it didn't fit with 18 mm stem..it's too small.
Oh no! Not a problem. Scroll up and check out the pictures and text. The last pic IS a dosing capsule. The Storz-Bickels are another story. Actually they are to small to rest in the glasadapter. But the healthy-rips-capsules (mentioned above) are perfect. At least upside down.
I'll try that! tnx

arb

Semi shaved ape
I using the same capsules (got them with my RCV18), and IDK, it didn't fit with 18 mm stem..it's too small.

I'll try that! tnx
Some 19 joints will work some won't.
I am noticing Chinese made joints seem to fit consistently I ordered those mouthpieces from Dhgate.

The oil wands for the dabuddha also fit.

XpeeN

Some 19 joints will work some won't.
I am noticing Chinese made joints seem to fit consistently I ordered those mouthpieces from Dhgate.

The oil wands for the dabuddha also fit.
Any recommended seller? I ordered one from mlglass and it doesn't fit :(

XpeeN,

XpeeN

Ok, so I search for a better fit atomizer for this DIY, and I found one that I think will do a great job. It's only a deck and a glass, no drip tip, but the glass's mouthpiece diameter is 14 mm, so we can just push a screen from the bottom of the glass and connect any 14 mm mouthpiece we want with basket screen attached to it. :)
I'm going to order this atomizer today and try to play with it when it arrives. :D
Edit: because it's only a glass and a deck, we can also just change the deck to ANY 23 mm diameter deck with bottom airflow (note that this specific deck takes 3 coils), so you can order something like this, and find the deck you most comfortable. It feels too good to be true lmao
BTW, do you think we can use that fishbone XS deck to build one big spiral/ribbon coil on it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom