18650 Battery Safety

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Since then Firewood has been encasing their cells in a proper package and integrated a BMS inside.

Yeah FW9 does not do that anymore, replaceable 18650 came back after FW8

Do you know roughly when that happened? I remember seeing some issues with the 7 where the spring on the new devices was stiff enough to tear the wrapper if you weren’t careful for the first dozen or so battery swaps but I don’t remember seeing a recall. I got mine in early 2021 though so the issue could’ve been an earlier model/resolved before I got mine.

Yes there was not a recall on FW7 at least I don't think so, but the actual recall I believe was with the FW4 I think it was? Some kind of connection thing with the batteries was causing actual damage problem, not just scraping wrappers (that was just a rolling upgrade improvement for later batches of FW7 and anyone who had the issue was able to send theirs back or fix it themselves)

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Thank you Rusty here's the photo. Ordering in the U.S would be a hassle for me but if they turn out to be fakes I'd be happy if someone can shoot me a link to a reliable EU reseller.

Well, the print on the battery looks familiar. Only real way to tell, is to strip the wrapper, and hopefully the casing has the information inscribed on it like most. I’m NOT suggesting you bother, as another member said, you bought it from a legit source. Many 18650’s I’ve bought in the past, had those warning added to the battery via a sticker. Now it’s laser printed.

badbee

I ordered six new Molicel P28A from nkon.nl. Parcel cam yesterday and on the batteries is written "Not For E-CIG OR VAPE".
The old ones don't have that and I thought Molicel is the only company that produces batteries that are official safe for vaping?
This style of battery cell was never intended for direct to consumer sales, they were designed for commercial\industrial use where they would be packaged into battery packs. Almost all hand tool, scooter and cycle batteries are made with 18650s. Mid level wholesalers started selling them direct to consumer for eCigs, RC and hobby purposes because they are a great multipurpose cell. When all the bad press about eCig batteries hit the market they added this on the wraps to help distance themselves from the problem.

I frequent electronics hobby forums and new people are constantly trying to put these cells in their projects without a BMS or charging circuit, it's dangerous. These cells have no built in protections of any kind. If you short them they will dump their entire energy store very very quickly and can generate thousands of degrees of heat. It's an ongoing problem that makes the manufacturers nervous about liability.

Edit: To give context you can short circuit a regular NiCad battery and their internal resistance is high enough that they won't produce a dangerous current. It's basically impossible to hurt yourself with them. Li Ion is a whole different story. An 18650 is like having a chunk of Thermite in your pocket, it needs to be respected.

Last edited:

Gorf

I have a cheap, effective way of storing and transporting 18650s. I have an assortment of heat shrink tubing for electrical connections. Some of it is just a bit bigger in diameter than a battery. If you cut a length of it twice that of the battery, you can place the battery in the middle and fold the ends over to close. Nice and safe, very low profile.

RustyOldNail

I have a cheap, effective way of storing and transporting 18650s. I have an assortment of heat shrink tubing for electrical connections. Some of it is just a bit bigger in diameter than a battery. If you cut a length of it twice that of the battery, you can place the battery in the middle and fold the ends over to close. Nice and safe, very low profile.

That will work, personally I prefer this inexpensive option:

kiddvudu2

That will work, personally I prefer this inexpensive option:

I use very similar ones @RustyOldNail, I love them. That is for on the go action tho. I store most of my batteries in a nice 25-spot plastic hard case with a hinged lid and latch. It lives near (but, not too close) to my external charger.

kiddvudu2,

RustyOldNail

I use very similar ones @RustyOldNail, I love them. That is for on the go action tho. I store most of my batteries in a nice 25-spot plastic hard case with a hinged lid and latch. It lives near (but, not too close) to my external charger.

Same here, I use the multiple battery plastic containers, most have come FREE with my battery orders.
I keep my many lithium batteries in a case (see below), in my fireplace with the flu open, an a tiny smoke detector on top.

Top Bottom