Discontinued Zion vaporizer

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Yes obviously it's more efficient through water, I kept saying that from the beginning. Doing countless small hits per bowl as I do takes its toll on the cells and I'm closer to 4 than to 8 sessions per charge indeed.

Or well, I was... with the Power Adapter I don't use cells at home anymore.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Yes obviously it's more efficient through water, I kept saying that from the beginning. Doing countless small hits per bowl as I do takes its toll on the cells and I'm closer to 4 than to 8 sessions per charge indeed.

Or well, I was... with the Power Adapter I don't use cells at home anymore.
Most of my seshes were actually dry! Although I think I may kill bowls much faster than you. Once the heater is to temp I just make the most of it I guess! Long pulls of thick vapor. Also I don't pack full bowls.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Yeah it's less a matter of dry or wet, but rather that I take around 40 hits to kill my bowls and you guys do it under 10. Some even pretend to be able to extract 0.10g in one single hit (although that remain to be seen!) so it's a ratio of 40 to 1, as this is my average bowl size!

For every hit I take it adds a preheat phase whereas if you do a single hit you get a single preheat phase. That's where energy is lost: the constant getting to temp and cooling.

AJS

Calm Consistency
but rather that I take around 40 hits to kill my bowls and you guys do it under 10
Holy shit 40. I do it in like 5 ha! Totally different vaping styles. Neat!

Some even pretend to be able to extract 0.10g in one single hit (although that remain to be seen!)
Driving 2 hours to my friends place tonight. When I tell them you said this, I'm sure their response will be "hold on let me get the scale. AJS get the herb. D go grab that bubbler. T set up the lights. Here we fucking go boys!!"

Edit : actually he said "I can do that". Let's see!

Last edited:

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
I am sad to report that my Zion #72 has stopped functioning after about 10 bowls.

It now doesn't heat up (tested with 2 different sets of batteries )

It makes a very soft ticking type of sound when the button is pressed. But no heat.

I have really enjoyed our short time together.

Looks like Monty (or maybe Withnail - I haven't decided yet) will be taking a trip stateside shortly. With a trip so soon after arrival, it seems that Monty intends to be a Vape of leisure...

It's a shame that Withnail and I (see what I did there...) can't make this trip together, but hey, I guess one of us has to pay the bills.

PS-Thanks in advance for your indulgence as I try out these different name possibilities.

AJS

Calm Consistency
I am sad to report that my Zion #72 has stopped functioning after about 10 bowls.

It makes a very soft ticking type of sound when the button is pressed. But no heat.

Looks like Monty (or maybe Withnail - I haven't decided yet) will be taking a trip stateside shortly. With a trip so soon after arrival, it seems that Monty intends to be a Vape of leisure...

It's a shame that Withnail and I (see what I did there...) can't make this trip together, but hey, I guess one of us has to pay the bills.

PS-Thanks in advance for your indulgence as I try out these different name possibilities.
Thanks for keeping the tone light in this post, unfortunately it doesn't stop the tears from flowing. Morty (see what I did there...)is in my thoughts and prayers, as well as you and your loved ones.

This won't be easy but unfortunately things can't be changed. They say stitches don't bring riches (anyone...?), but in this case they sure bring happiness upon return.

He'll come back better then ever.

upriver

combustion-free
AJS, love the vid. Couple questions since I'm an old-timer and new to this new stuff. I have a very, very similar water tool, a "Luke Wilson" bubbler. I assume you are using a male-to-male ground glass coupling. I'd love to avoid the tape - what can I look for in order to get this going (assuming I can dig up the spec on the bubbler's input). Also, in the vid you don't really show mounting the Zion. Are you "friction fitting" the herbal load? It seems best practice is to load it and then put the stem in downwards, that is, towards the earth. You seem to be loading the Zion and flipping it upside-down to mount on the watertool. Is this because you are packing tight enough for it to be no prob? With a male-to-male adaptor, it seems like you may want to load the Zion, put the adaptor into the Zion, and then flip the whole rig to meet the Zion, but this is not apparent in your video.

All that said, I am sitting here without a Zion (sent in for repair) and hyper-intellectualizing all this instead of just doing it. I look forward to my unit's return, and to taking advantage of water-cooling.

Thanks!

Last edited:

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help

Hey mate,

oh no... I feel ya bro.
Have you checked the batteries making good contact with the copper plate?
Having a slightly older unit, where the battery copper plate is a bit off-shaped, I'm having contact issues from time to time, which results in not heating up at all.
Try to check the contacts thoroughly and see if you can carefully move the batts a bit while inserted: can you tilt em to a tiny degree? Try to rotate them a bit too and see if that makes a difference. Also be sure to check the correct polarity.
Crank the dial all the way up and blow thru the intake while pressing the button between your attempts - to check if heat is building up.
If it's a contact issue you might get it to work again with a bit of fiddling.

Have you reached out for Ryan yet? I will pass him a note, but if you're on IG, send him a DM. Maybe he can give you further tips... Really hoping it's more of a minor thing.
Worst case: you send it in.

All the best, fellow Zionite!
:peace:

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Hey @vapen00b

Great suggestions. Unfortunately I tried most of those already. Also, the faint ticking sound tells me that there is some kind of contact happenning.

Your suggestions made me look closely at the battery copper though. Mine has a kind of wave or bulge for each batteries so no problem with contact. Pretty cool design. I had thought it was a flat bit of copper.

Thanks for the offer, but i let Ryan know before I posted-Seemed fair to let 'the maker' know about the fault first- he didn't have any suggestions, but i didn't ask. It stopped working (or more accurately, didn't start working for the next session) with me not having touched it (pretty fresh batteries), so it just kind of felt dead. And this vape doesn't feel like one you can tinker with, really. Can't switch it off and on. Reset it. Give it a whack...Hmmm..maybe...

Anyway, after all the checks with fresh batteries , i just kinda assumed i will need to send her in so emailed Ryan to pretty much confirm this.

Thanks for the support.

I want to write all the stuff i like about this Vape so far, so will probably have an extensive photo shoot before I send it in and post them during the voyage. Or something. Maybe...just a thought.

AJS

Calm Consistency
AJS, love the vid. Couple questions since I'm an old-timer and new to this new stuff. I have a very, very similar water tool, a "Luke Wilson" bubbler. I assume you are using a male-to-male ground glass coupling. I'd love to avoid the tape - what can I look for in order to get this going (assuming I can dig up the spec on the bubbler's input). Also, in the vid you don't really show mounting the Zion. Are you "friction fitting" the herbal load? It seems best practice is to load it and then put the stem in downwards, that is, towards the earth. You seem to be loading the Zion and flipping it upside-down to mount on the watertool. Is this because you are packing tight enough for it to be no prob? With a male-to-male adaptor, it seems like you may want to load the Zion, put the adaptor into the Zion, and then flip the whole rig to meet the Zion, but this is not apparent in your video.

All that said, I am sitting here without a Zion (sent in for repair) and hyper-intellectualizing all this instead of just doing it. I look forward to my unit's return, and to taking advantage of water-cooling.

Thanks!
Hey man. Thanks!
The basket of herb is in the male end of what's attached to the bubbler. You don't pack the Zion itself. The herb never turns upside down. I pack the herb in the adapter, then use the Zion on top of it, just like you would a lighter to the bowl .. you don't pack the lighter so to speak lol.

You would just need a male to male (or whatever gender your piece is) that's long enough so the Zion doesn't hit against the glass of your bubbler if you want to mate with water . Idk the size exactly.

CaptVapor

I have nothing to add really, just that... I've never tried a log but Zion must be in the same ballpark. She is everything you'd want - quite literally INSTANT heat and "highly" efficient extraction. This is the blueprint of perfection.

Basically, now I totally get what @VegNVape was going on and on and on and on and on about ;)

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The joint on your M2M on the side that meets the Zion needs to be 19/22 or a US jointed 19mm ground glass joint. It can be shorter than 22mm but no longer. (They are actually 18.8 but are called either 18mm or 19mm) I say "on the side that meets the Zion" because my OGB M2Ms, for example, are US on one side and ISO (26mm) on the other side. I have a China M2M that is 3 1/4" tall (sorry can't find metric ruler) that is just barely long enough to clear. The 4" OGB one will clear anything.
It stopped working (or more accurately, didn't start working for the next session) with me not having touched it (pretty fresh batteries), so it just kind of felt dead.
Very sorry to hear your Zion is sick (not the good kind). I wonder if you tried cranking the knob fully open? One other sick Zion had no power unless cranked to 100%. It would still have to go back to Ryan but would be similar to another failure...

I'm looking forward to @AJS getting a "real" adapter of some kind. Even a piece of silicone would be better than that tape. :uhoh: It works, tho. ;)
Basically, now I totally get what @VegNVape was going on and on and on and on and on about ;)
I Know. It's weird we weren't making that shit up, isn't it? :lol:

AJS

Calm Consistency
I tried to vape a .1 in 1 large hit. I weiged it out and loaded it up. Here's the test!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZpvxpwAza5/?taken-by=ajs_fc_
Definitely doable!! I didn't quite get all of it but I had it packed too hard to penetrate the entire load. I'll pack it looser next time and should be able to get a better one. I sure was close though!

ABV:
ILUqQA7.jpg

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Very sorry to hear your Zion is sick (not the good kind). I wonder if you tried cranking the knob fully open? One other sick Zion had no power unless cranked to 100%. It would still have to go back to Ryan but would be similar to another failure...

Yeah. I tried moving the knob back and forth, and a few different settings, including fully cranked. Up until the point it stopped working, it was going well and the power knob seemed to be working properly, in that I could do low or high heat sessions.

In fact, the last session was a high heat test. I was at about 95% power so I could see if the higher heat setting could be used for shorter draws. I was thinking that may mean less volume of hot air hits the throat overall, and thereby reducing the dryness.

In case anyone is wondering, it didn't really. Although it allows a shorter session, the higher heat (even through a hydro tube) has a similar result, possibly harsher/dryer and certainly less satisfying. Hardly surprising, really.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. Keep them coming. I have tried any of the suggestions from you folks that I hadn't already tried.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I tried to vape a .1 in 1 large hit. I weiged it out and loaded it up. Here's the test!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZpvxpwAza5/?taken-by=ajs_fc_
Definitely doable!! I didn't quite get all of it but I had it packed too hard to penetrate the entire load. I'll pack it looser next time and should be able to get a better one. I sure was close though!

ABV:
ILUqQA7.jpg
Nice. And I loved the bird off your left shoulder... :lol:

I assume those guys were there to bear witness...

Farkas

Do you know about the bird?
Did some more testing last night, and on a much more intense level than what I've done previously. My conclusion (subject to further testing, of course :brow:) is that Zion was well worth the wait. I will say that I had a little bit of a hiccup in that I come from a background of mostly "user regulated" devices. That resulted in me trying to regulate an already regulated device. I'm an idiot in general, but I've just been so used to controlling the process for other vapes that I also tried to do that here. Thankfully, the light bulb went on yesterday evening and I was able to fully appreciate Zion as it was meant to be. Set it and forget it. Stay on the button as long as you want, hit it as hard as you want, and you're good to go. Getting a lot of draws out of one half-packed stem with it set at 12 o'clock and getting consistently great results. Happy camper here... :ko:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Same unfolding as in the Milaana thread: before release, many members were pissed by the Z-team, telling us we were just cheerleaders, that our opinion didn't count... so at some point we shut up, devices got delivered and we let their owners make their own reviews and reports...

...and we were all happy to hear them saying the same things we were hammering from the start. But at this point, they were deemed more "legitimate" and people stopped doubting us.

Zion is just incredible folks, this is real. :tup:

AJS

Calm Consistency
What is position of clock? I have unit in hand, right thumb on button. Stem in lower hole. Full on is about 9:00. Is that the way you folks are measuring?
I do it as 0 is 9 o'clock full is 4 o'clock.
Looking at it head on from front of unit is how I dictate it.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Again, orientation we were told by RBT and used during testing was holding in your left hand curve in palm thumb on trigger, 12 o clock would be zero. Since apparently everyone measures that different depending how they like to hold it, again I say lets just use percentage as a more universal power quantification for everyone...

Top Bottom