Zephyr Ion or Volcano

Weebs

My roommate and I are buying a new vaporizer, but we're not quite sure which vape to get. I currently own the iolite vaporizer and love it, but I'm looking to get something for home that is more friendly with a larger rotation. Price isn't particularly an issue, but it seems like the volcano isn't significantly better than the Ion, and the Ion allows the option for a whip

Weebs,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
audiodelic said:
Get the Zephyr Ion and use the rest of the money for a MLFB. :brow:
This ^ LOL

Seriously, though... I've never owned a Volcano, but I've used them plenty and I have a few buddies that have them. I do own a Zephyr Ion however, and I must say there's definitely no reason to pay the extra money for the Volcano. The Zephyr is up to par or better in most aspects for half the price. You will not be disappointed.

CombustionJunction,

Weebs

Thanks for the info man. I was hoping to have someone who has used both products give me their two cents. My roommate and I are going to get the Ion and I'll be posting up a review once I get the unit.

Weebs,

max

Out to lunch
Hell, I'd rather have a herbalAire than a Volcano. I know it works. It has whip use as well as bag fill, and you'd have enough $ left to get the Ion, get on the list to buy a new Vapexhale Cloud, or buy a supply of some top quality herb to use in your new vape. ;)

max,

lwien

CombustionJunction said:
The Zephyr is up to par or better in most aspects for half the price.

Someone else mentioned this. It could have been you and I asked the question, but never got an answer but I'm still really curious. What aspects of the Ion, other than price, is better than the 'Cano?

lwien,

Beezleb

I would imagine its largely personal preferences such as appearance and whatnot for the most part I think. Thats how I took it anyways. Ive not used a digital volcano so I have no opinion.

Due to the Ions ability to be used with a bong/whip I agree with this view wholly but that is from my view. A vapist with a volcano may have a different opinion with equal merit. Dont forget, for much of this, it comes to down to subjective aspects as personal preference and then hopefully the person tapers that with what vaporizer best matches that.

Well anyways, from my view here is why I would say the Ion is up to par or better than the volcano.
1. Price (Ion)
2. Performance (par) though I am relying on others opinion as I have not used a digital volcano. The regular volcano is not a good comparison I think.
3. Operating (Ion to par), well ive not used the easy valve with the volcano but I understand it is pretty simple and durable.
4. Appearance (par), I think they both look pretty cool. I like the appearance of the Ion better but thats probably because I have one.
5. Options (Ion ?) Well the Ion will have more options once available. Starting to look like vaporware on some of it at times.

I believe the Volcano to be like the best of the previous generation of vaporizers. As technology and whatnot expand older technology while still very high quality will typically be phased out for many reasons. I am not saying the Ion is top vape in that type of class but the quality in vaporizers have increased with more options than at the time the volcano owned the playing field pretty much.

My take on it.

Beezleb,

lwien

Yeah, Beez, I've never used a Volcano either and that's why I'm asking. I understand how it can be on par with the 'Cano, but I'm just really curious as to why others think it's better, other than price.

lwien,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
lwien said:
CombustionJunction said:
The Zephyr is up to par or better in most aspects for half the price.

Someone else mentioned this. It could have been you and I asked the question, but never got an answer but I'm still really curious. What aspects of the Ion, other than price, is better than the 'Cano?

Comparing to the Volcano Digit, of course....

Up to par:
Vapor Quality
Efficiency
Medicinal Value
Temperature Accuracy
Product Quality

Better:
Price
More valves, bags, and other replacement parts come with the Ion
Online presence from Bruce
Exceptional Customer Service
Valves are much better
Option to use bags or whip
Software
Maintenance (Much easier to clean and stays cleaner longer)

CombustionJunction,

lwien

Thanks CJ.

What is it about the valves that you like better? Although I've never used a Volcano, their valve system seems to be very well engineered, no?

lwien,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
lwien said:
Thanks CJ.

What is it about the valves that you like better? Although I've never used a Volcano, their valve system seems to be very well engineered, no?
Nothing wrong with Volcano valve system at all, I just like the Ion's better.

First, there's no worrying about whether to get solid valves or easy valves, just one type of valve.

With the Volcano valves, you kinda have to push on the valve tip with your lips and it's kind of awkward and uncomfortable, IMO, while with the Ion, you can push open the valve with your finger.

The Easy Valves on the Volcano are disposable, so instead of just replacing the bag, you have to buy new valves. Kind of expensive when you vape heavily.

The Solid Valves on the Volcano are my favorites over the easy valves, but they're really heavy and tend to get dirty fast, and they are a pain to clean. The Ion valves are as lightweight as the easy valves, with the durability of the solid valve, plus, mine has yet to get dirty at all and I use is VERY heavily.

AND... The Ion comes with 2 Valves, with bags already attached, so you can have two bags going around at once. The Volcano comes with 1 valve only.

CombustionJunction,

lwien

The Ion's value just seems to get better and better the more we know.

Thanks again, CJ.

lwien,

stinkmeaner

I have heard just the opposite about the valves, many people online say that you feel like you have to kiss the Ion Valves, some say it has pinched them. The Ion valve is pretty simple, similar to the spring loaded clasps that come on draw string items like bags, clever idea to use the design to seal a vapor bag.

Easy valve bags also last a LONG time, you don't have to throw them out the moment you feel them get sticky, look at how dirty silicone whips get and people still use them with no problem. And you barely have to press them to get vapor, I have never had anyone use mine and complain about having to press too hard on either the Easy or Solid, not even the smallest of women, maybe the above poster needs to clean it or something.

The Ion does seem like a value but one has to consider that the Volcano is made in Germany which is one of the most expensive countries in the world and the Ion is made in China, a communist country with cheap labor. If more buyers would consider where there products are made instead of worrying about saving a few dollars then the USA and other Western countries would be in much better shape.

Resale is also good with the Volcano and they sell quickly on Ebay so that is also a bonus.

stinkmeaner,

Beezleb

I wholly disagree on stinkmeaners view on the ion valves. This is from my experience and I have used several different Ions. Never have I had one pinch but I suppose if you put your lips into the valve while opening and closing it perhaps it could happen. In deed it is the only way for me to make it happen like that. Perhaps stinkmeaner was reading from someone who had a defective valve. I have 8 valves in total and never experienced this.

Regarding the longevity/durability of the bags with the ion, the only time I had to change them is from my dumb ass. Only leak I have had was from letting it to close to a curious cat hehe. Bags last a long time and I doubt the Volcano is any different in that respect.

Arguing aspects of cost due to labor reasons is not my concern nor do I advocate paying a higher wage than necessary. If you dislike it, I suggest writing your government about wage issues. If someone feels a product should cost more, I am sure the company would accept a higher payment hehe.

I see both vapes as great vapes but I see the volcano more of a yester year vape so to speak. Lets not act like its not the royalty of vapes though. I am not taking away from the product and while I say that others can surely say with merit reasons on why the Volcano trumps my view.

It really comes down to preference, perspective but when mixed with a bit of bias it can become a whip it out and see who is bigger contest hehe. This is not that nor would I say the Ion is a changing of a guard to so speak rather than a quality competitor equal in class with more options. Over time, the Volcano, Ion, Extreme or whoever else comes along will all continue to take chunks out of the market. I do not believe we currently live a time when vaporizers were so cut and dry. More and more quality vapes on the market than ever before. Its a good thing and not time to hate on competitors. Better to understand the products as to help the vapist select the vape that best suits them.

I would also add the volcano is a proven vaporizer over time where as the Ion has not yet been around enough to determine longevity. Volcano is royalty where the Ion is more of a sports star in my view regarding the category.

Beezleb,

Neverender

CombustionJunction said:
Comparing to the Volcano Digit, of course....

Up to par:
Vapor Quality
Efficiency
Medicinal Value
Temperature Accuracy
Product Quality

Better:
Price
More valves, bags, and other replacement parts come with the Ion
Online presence from Bruce
Exceptional Customer Service
Valves are much better
Option to use bags or whip
Software
Maintenance (Much easier to clean and stays cleaner longer)

I agree with everything here and I'll even add that I find the Ion to be an easier vape to use. I love the cups you put your herb in with the Ion.

And I think the valves are a matter of preference. I slightly prefer the Volcano one and I can also see how the Ion's valve can be hard to use for older or weaker users as you do have to squeeze it.

:2c:

Neverender,

Raf007

Retailer
Isn't there some vapor leakage on some Ion ?
Or at least isn't some people reporting that in the Ion thread ?

Raf007,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
Raf007 said:
Isn't there some vapor leakage on some Ion ?
Or at least isn't some people reporting that in the Ion thread ?
I don't have any leakage problems that I didn't cause myself.

CombustionJunction,

Beezleb

I suggest looking in the Ion thread for more information on the Ion.

Beezleb,
Top Bottom