Yocan Vane Advanced Portable Dry Vaporizer

Yocantech

Manufacturer
The Yocan Vane is one of the Yocan newest products. It is packs a ton of luxury features into its svelte frame.
This Yocan vape pen give you the control over how your vaporizer would look like. It's your daily vaping device.

Yocan Vane Dry Vaporizer banner 1902-700 -2.jpg
Features:
1100 mAh Battery Capacity
Magnetic Mouthpiece
Ceramic Heating element
Haptic Feedback smart vibration function
30-second Heat-up Time
Up to 480F Temperature
Diffused Airflow
OLED Screen Display
Safety Power-off

Yocan Vane Advanced Portable Dry Vaporizer on YocanTech.com

Yocan Vane Advanced Portable Dry Vaporizer airflow 800 - 800.pngYocan Vane Advanced Portable Dry Vaporizer ceramic heating chamber 800 - 800.pngYocan Vane Advanced Portable Dry Vaporizer vibration reminder 800 - 800.pngYocan Vane Advanced Portable Dry Vaporizer compact 800 - 800.pngYocan Vane Advanced Portable Dry Vaporizer fast heat time 800 - 800.pngYocan Vane Advanced Portable Dry Vaporizer mouthpiece 800 - 800.pngYocan Vane Advanced Portable Dry Vaporizer two vaping sessions 800 - 800.pngYocan Vane Advanced Portable Dry Vaporizer safety power-off 800 - 800.png

ss18

Looks nice, would love to try this out and see if it's better then what I have. Looks small

Last edited:
ss18,

Trogdor

Vapinating the peasants
I was fortunate enough to receive a test unit from Yocan, and I've been putting it through the courses. Here are some of my first impressions with the unit, I will be writing up a more detailed review soon as well.

- Very small, it's hard to get a very good idea from the pictures but this thing really just disappears in the hand.
- Surprisingly wide temperature range, with good flavor on the lower end and some decent clouds past 400 F (have not gotten this thing to combust even past 460 F)
- Works better with a light pack, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the top of the bowl. Overpacking does not lead to more vapor production.
- About 5-7 5 minute sessions from one charge, I need to do some more testing to get an exact number.
- The screen says Take Care when turning the Vane off, very nice touch

IMG-20200531-185201208.jpg

IMG-20200531-185231253.jpg

Floridbud

Okay here's my first impressions. [Full Disclosure: received one free to review from Yocan] And "hi Vicki" Florida represent!

Hot Take: The Vane is the best dry herb vaporizer that Yocan has ever made.

I think most of us here know that the Evolve-D, iShred and Hit aren't exactly tough competition. But I think I would actually recommend the Vane to a friend that was looking to get into vaping. A lot of tiny vapes are just borderline adequate. I'm pretty sure Yocan actually saw a niche where they could compete, and set out to make the world's best palmable pocket vape. In this ultra compact category...and I think they by and large succeeded.

First reaction you will have is something like "OMG that's tiny" Even if you are a mature person whose never used the letters OMG before you may be somewhat shocked and surprised by the size. Did you ever look at a Pax and think "that thing is soo bulky". From Yocan's website I just thought it was going to be bigger

IMG_5691.jpg

3Devices.jpg

The Vane is the tiniest dry herb vape that I know. It's also pretty light..

IMG_5695.jpg

It's also pretty light 55.07g. But not quite the lightest, my Airvape XS Go is 54.5g. The Vane feels pretty solid, granted I have no idea what the internals look like, or how long it will last, but it would probably score well in the J.D. Powers survey of initial consumer satisfaction.

IMG_5697.jpg

The bowl size is pretty well matched for the device. It takes almost 3 Scoop-N-Tamp Vape Tool spoon fulls from the Scoop and Tamp tool. About the same as the Airvape XS Go and similar to a Flowermate. There is a metal screen permanently installed at the bottom of the ceramic chamber to keep herb from falling through the relatively large holes in the ceramic. The chamber is definitly ceramic as is the lid/diffuser, which is fairly effective at cooling the vapor over a short path. There is a silicon ring around the top ceramic diffuser to help make the fit airtight. So once the vapor goes up through the ceramic diffuser, what happens next?

IMG_5703 2.jpg

Well the ceramic continues to act as a bit of a "smoke stack" inside the mouthpiece, the vape travels straight up the ceramic, through a metal screen and then out top. Then there is one long wide hole at the top. The system works well over 3 minutes, more later ... Anyway so you pack your Vane with just say 3 little scoops. I've tried several different grinds with my Brilliant Cut. I think a BCGcoarse grind works best, but any medium to coarse grind will be fine. I've used a fine back, but that restricts the airflow too much for my liking. Also don't tamp it. Fill it just to the top. See that part of the top that' just below the silicon? That part reaches into the bowl. That is all the tamping/compression that you need. So, let's fire it up!

IMG_5700 copy.jpg

Yocan says 30 seconds to heat up, but thanks to the timer I know it takes exactly 23 seconds to get to 380º from a room temperature start.

Now the vapor experience. Well it's pretty darn good. I'm sure there's some conduction going on, but it feels like a predominately convection vape. I wanted a tiny vape for my morning and evening dog walks and so I was pretty excited to try this out. Could a miniature $50-$60 device from a company that really hasn't been serious about the dry herb game actually make it into my rotation?

Well I think the answer is yes. I wanted to like my Airvape XS Go (for the same purpose, the dog walking vape) but while the first couple draws are good on that one, the quality goes downhill rapidly. The Vane doesn't deteriorate like that. The quality is better than my first vape, a flowermate, it's kind of like miniature Tera, or maybe more like miniature Fury(but I don't have one of those). You will feel heat out the top, but no nearly as bad as the Vivant Vleaf Go. Also while the device gets warm, it's not uncomfortable hot in my pocket.

I found that if I do 3 minutes at 370º and then 3 minutes are 400º, I get abv like this:

IMG_5682.jpg

here's a "before" picture. Not this is not the same weed, but it is a different pinch from the same nug ground in the same grinder and taken in the same lighting

IMG_5704.jpg

One crazy thing about is that it goes to 480º. At that point there is some smoldering going on. But there's also a crazy amount of vapor from a 1 second cigar puff. With the extreme range smokers might actually find this device helpful in a transition phase. They can check out low-temping (370º or below) or they can bang out huge clouds if they crave it ...

For a tiny device the Vane is pretty versatile. So far I've been doing a first 3 minute session at 370 or 380 and the sesh pretty much rocks. Not too hot on the mouthpiece, plenty of flavor, and enough vapor on exhale to help me feel satisfied. Usually then I'll bump it up to 400º. I had been going to 420º at first, but things we getting just a bit gnarly by the end of the second session. I moved it down to 400º and still get a decent cloud and much better flavor. As you can probably tell from the ABV you could certainly go further with it, but I don't because this is about or under .13g of herb, so I'm getting about 26 bowls from each 1/8, so it's just not worth it. If I want to keep vaping, I just put in a fresh load.

One last piece of advice. do a few burn offs. Just like my Tera, I swabbed the chamber with ISO, the I set the temp to 480º and blew through the bottom. Btw since you can blow through the bottom that does seem to indicate that there is not a sealed air path. Having said that, I haven't notice any wierd tastes. And the weird tastes starting with my 3d puff are the reason I gave up on the Airvape.

Cons/Downsides/Areas for Improvement
  1. The display is weak. It's great in all indoor lighting and at night outside, but you are not going to see it outside if there's any daylight
  2. The mouthpiece, while adequate could be better. The Airvape XS Go has a neat little maze in the mouthpiece that really cools the vapor even more, after it goes through a very similar ceramic diffuser. Also the mouthpiece could be taller. If you are high temping that extra 1/2 inch could be valuable. Oddly enough the Airvape's magnetic mouthpiece actually fits on the Vane and it does actually work, although the magnetic seal is a bit wobbly. I would gladly pay, maybe $15 - $20 for new mouthpiece. Also there's no WPA, which is a shame. Hopefully Yocan leverages the magentic top and creates some optional tops.
  3. You'll need a loading tool, would be awesome if Yocan would include even a little plastic scoop
  4. USB-C won't charge from my MacBookPro or my MacBookPro's 100 watt charger. Have to put on a USB C to usb adapter on my MacbookPro and then plug the included USB to USB C cable into the Vane. This problem affects most USB C mod boxes I've seen, so this is not a unique Yocan issue.

IMG_5027 (1).jpg
Pros:
  1. 23 Second heat up from cold
  2. Super wide temp range with digital display
  3. Convection leaning hybrid heating, that produces nice or shall we say "plus" flavor
  4. 5 to 7 3-minute bowls per charge (probably 4 if you keep it above 420 and do 5 minute sessions, but haven't really tested that)
  5. USB C charging full charge in under 45 minutes, maybe 30 minutes when using the 3amp USB-C port on my power strip
  6. Completely fits inside my palm, even the mouthpiece
  7. May be the best palmable vape on the planet now. Admittedly the competition isn't that strong but this product doesn't seem like an afterthought, just to reach a certain price point.
    1. Even the Boundless CFC is 98mm tall, the Flowermate Cap 93mm, the Airvape XS Go is 97mm. This little guy is a hair over 80 mm tall.
    2. Convection-leaning hybrid flavor that stays nice though out the session.
    3. Full temp range
    4. 3 or 5 minute session option
  8. Magnetic mouthpiece, sturdy connection, yet easy to remove, way better than a friction mouthpiece
I hope Yocan continues to support and improve this device. This is the kind of device, where if it's your first vape, you'll still keep it if you enjoy vaping and move on to bigger devices. The quality to size ratio is so good, that you'll keep this one around for whenever you need a tiny device.

Last edited:

spindle

What's the bowl capacity? How does capacity compare to the Vivant Go mentioned in the post? I'm familiar with the Go...
"It takes almost 3 Scoop-N-Tamp Vape Tool" - so my guess is not too big, which is a plus for my needs.

I've had good luck with Yocan products, the Uni Pro oil pen battery, and could use a flower vaporizer that produces vapor that isn't too hot for occasional outdoor and travel use.

Looking forward to more feedback as it gets out in the wild!

Trogdor

Vapinating the peasants
Bowl capacity is actually on the larger end of my vaporizers (Daisy, Lotus, Solo, and what I can remember about the Firefly), with about 1-1.5 Czech Pipe Tool scoops being enough. I don't know if this picture actually gives a frame of reference, but I use the same amount for when I'm packing a regular smoking pipe :uhoh:. The nice thing about the Vane is it doesn't have to be packed tightly, if you're just trying to conserve.

IMG-20200617-154828006-HDR-cropped.jpg

b0

Cloudy...
Okay here's my first impressions. [Full Disclosure: received one free to review from Yocan] And "hi Vicki" Florida represent!

I think most of us here know that the Evolve-D, iShred and Hit aren't exactly tough competition. But I think I would actually recommend the Vane to a friend that was looking to get into vaping. A lot of tiny vapes are just borderline adequate. I'm pretty sure Yocan actually saw a niche where they could compete, and set out to make the world's best palmable pocket vape. In this ultra compact category...and I think they by and large succeeded.

First reaction you will have is something like "OMG that's tiny" Even if you are a mature person whose never used the letters OMG before you may be somewhat shocked and surprised by the size. Did you ever look at a Pax and think "that thing is soo bulky". From Yocan's website I just thought it was going to be bigger

View attachment 1337

View attachment 1348

View attachment 1338

It's also pretty light 55.07g. But not quite the lightest, my Airvape XS Go is 54.5g. The Vane feels pretty solid, granted I have no idea what the internals look like, or how long it will last, but it would probably score well in the J.D. Powers survey of initial consumer satisfaction.

View attachment 1340

The bowl size is pretty well matched for the device. It takes almost 3 Scoop-N-Tamp Vape Tool spoon fulls from the Scoop and Tamp tool. About the same as the Airvape XS Go and similar to a Flowermate. There is a metal screen permanently installed at the bottom of the ceramic chamber to keep herb from falling through the relatively large holes in the ceramic. The chamber is definitly ceramic as is the lid/diffuser, which is fairly effective at cooling the vapor over a short path. There is a silicon ring around the top ceramic diffuser to help make the fit airtight. So once the vapor goes up through the ceramic diffuser, what happens next?

View attachment 1343

Well the ceramic continues to act as a bit of a "smoke stack" inside the mouthpiece, the vape travels straight up the ceramic, through a metal screen and then out top. Then there is one long wide hole at the top. The system works well over 3 minutes, more later ... Anyway so you pack your Vane with just say 3 little scoops. I've tried several different grinds with my Brilliant Cut. I think a BCGcoarse grind works best, but any medium to coarse grind will be fine. I've used a fine back, but that restricts the airflow too much for my liking. Also don't tamp it. Fill it just to the top. See that part of the top that' just below the silicon? That part reaches into the bowl. That is all the tamping/compression that you need. So, let's fire it up!

View attachment 1342

Yocan says 30 seconds to heat up, but thanks to the timer I know it takes exactly 23 seconds to get to 380º from a room temperature start.

Now the vapor experience. Well it's pretty darn good. I'm sure there's some conduction going on, but it feels like a predominately convection vape. I wanted a tiny vape for my morning and evening dog walks and so I was pretty excited to try this out. Could a miniature $50-$60 device from a company that really hasn't been serious about the dry herb game actually make it into my rotation?

Well I think the answer is yes. I wanted to like my Airvape XS Go (for the same purpose, the dog walking vape) but while the first couple draws are good on that one, the quality goes downhill rapidly. The Vane doesn't deteriorate like that. The quality is better than my first vape, a flowermate, it's kind of like miniature Tera, or maybe more like miniature Fury(but I don't have one of those). You will feel heat out the top, but no nearly as bad as the Vivant Vleaf Go. Also while the device gets warm, it's not uncomfortable hot in my pocket.

I found that if I do 3 minutes at 370º and then 3 minutes are 400º, I get abv like this:

View attachment 1344

here's a "before" picture. Not this is not the same weed, but it is a different pinch from the same nug ground in the same grinder and taken in the same lighting

View attachment 1350

One crazy thing about is that it goes to 480º. At that point there is some smoldering going on. But there's also a crazy amount of vapor from a 1 second cigar puff. With the extreme range smokers might actually find this device helpful in a transition phase. They can check out low-temping (370º or below) or they can bang out huge clouds if they crave it ...

For a tiny device the Vane is pretty versatile. So far I've been doing a first 3 minute session at 370 or 380 and the sesh pretty much rocks. Not too hot on the mouthpiece, plenty of flavor, and enough vapor on exhale to help me feel satisfied. Usually then I'll bump it up to 400º. I had been going to 420º at first, but things we getting just a bit gnarly by the end of the second session. I moved it down to 400º and still get a decent cloud and much better flavor. As you can probably tell from the ABV you could certainly go further with it, but I don't because this is about or under .13g of herb, so I'm getting about 26 bowls from each 1/8, so it's just not worth it. If I want to keep vaping, I just put in a fresh load.

One last piece of advice. do a few burn offs. Just like my Tera, I swabbed the chamber with ISO, the I set the temp to 480º and blew through the bottom. Btw since you can blow through the bottom that does seem to indicate that there is not a sealed air path. Having said that, I haven't notice any wierd tastes. And the weird tastes starting with my 3d puff are the reason I gave up on the Airvape.

1. The display is weak. It's great in all indoor lighting and at night outside, but you are not going to see it outside if there's any daylight
  2. The mouthpiece, while adequate could be better. The Airvape XS Go has a neat little maze in the mouthpiece that really cools the vapor even more, after it goes through a very similar ceramic diffuser. Also the mouthpiece could be taller. If you are high temping that extra 1/2 inch could be valuable. Oddly enough the Airvape's magnetic mouthpiece actually fits on the Vane and it does actually work, although the magnetic seal is a bit wobbly. I would gladly pay, maybe $15 - $20 for new mouthpiece. Also there's no WPA, which is a shame. Hopefully Yocan leverages the magentic top and creates some optional tops.
  3. You'll need a loading tool, would be awesome if Yocan would include even a little plastic scoop
  4. USB-C won't charge from my MacBookPro or my MacBookPro's 100 watt charger. Have to put on a USB C to usb adapter on my MacbookPro and then plug the included USB to USB C cable into the Vane. This problem affects most USB C mod boxes I've seen, so this is not a unique Yocan issue.

View attachment 1358
Pros:
  3. Convection leaning hybrid heating, that produces nice or shall we say "plus" flavor
  4. 5 to 7 3-minute bowls per charge (probably 4 if you keep it above 420 and do 5 minute sessions, but haven't really tested that)
  5. USB C charging full charge in under 45 minutes, maybe 30 minutes when using the 3amp USB-C port on my power strip
  7. May be the best palmable vape on the planet now. Admittedly the competition isn't that strong but this product doesn't seem like an afterthought, just to reach a certain price point.
    1. Even the Boundless CFC is 98mm tall, the Flowermate Cap 93mm, the Airvape XS Go is 97mm. This little guy is a hair over 80 mm tall.
    3. Full temp range
  8. Magnetic mouthpiece, sturdy connection, yet easy to remove, way better than a friction mouthpiece
I hope Yocan continues to support and improve this device. This is the kind of device, where if it's your first vape, you'll still keep it if you enjoy vaping and move on to bigger devices. The quality to size ratio is so good, that you'll keep this one around for whenever you need a tiny device.

Nice review man! Just curious wich one you like more, this one or the vleaf go?

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist

View attachment 1337

View attachment 1348

View attachment 1338

View attachment 1340

View attachment 1343

View attachment 1342

View attachment 1344

View attachment 1350

View attachment 1358
Pros:
    3. Full temp range

Thank you for the detailed review! Are you also an MMJ patient here in Florida?

Floridbud

Thank you for the detailed review! Are you also an MMJ patient here in Florida?
Yes I'm Traktorhead over on Reddit ... but that guy's overly opinionated and gets in flame wars all the time, still trying to reign him in. ;)

Nice review man! Just curious wich one you like more, this one or the vleaf go?
Well that's a tough one. They're very different. The VLeaf Go is really an amazing microdoser. And when combined with a J hook or any glass mouthpiece, IMHO the taste if phenomenal, I still think it's right up there with the first hit off the Ghost, if you're running it through a nice glass cooling system.
The Vane is a total different animal maybe .2g in the bowl vs. .05g in the Vleaf Go. The Vane is my near perfect dog walking vape. I don't think the flavor quite matches the Vleaf, but the Vleaf is more like a one-hitter. With a nice coarse grind loosely backed, the Vane holds about as much as a Pax 3 with a half-pack lid. But it's 2/3 the height, completely hides in you palm, has front panel controls and has enough convection flavor for me to prefer it too the Pax even though the Pax has better cooling.

For me both vapes are special use cases. VLeaf is number 1 when you just want a quick hit. The Vane is my number 1 dog walking vape. Probably more portable than the Vleaf(which you'll have to refill more often), but I really wouldn't want to be forced to give up either.

Last edited:

b0

Cloudy...
Yes I'm Traktorhead over on Reddit ... but that guy's overly opinionated and gets in flame wars all the time, still trying to reign him in. ;)

Well that's a tough one. They're very different. The VLeaf Go is really an amazing microdoser. And when combined with a J hook or any glass mouthpiece, IMHO the taste if phenomenal, I still think it's right up there with the first hit off the Ghost, if you're running it through a nice glass cooling system.
The Vane is a total different animal maybe .2g in the bowl vs. .05g in the Vleaf Go. The Vane is my near perfect dog walking vape. I don't think the flavor quite matches the Vleaf, but the Vleaf is more like a one-hitter. With a nice coarse grind loosely backed, the Vane holds about as much as a Pax 3 with a half-pack lid. But it's 2/3 the height, completely hides in you palm, has front panel controls and has enough convection flavor for me to prefer it too the Pax even though the Pax has better cooling.

For me both vapes are special use cases. VLeaf is number 1 when you just want a quick hit. The Vane is my number 1 dog walking vape. Probably more portable than the Vleaf(which you'll have to refill more often), but I really wouldn't want to be forced to give up either.

Thanks for your answer! I was curious cause I have a vleaf go on the way that I'm planning to use out and about. Cheers!

b0h,

Robert-in-YEG

The much-maligned Yocan Vane was the first dry herb vape is not as horrible as some may judge. Considering the price, functionality, and availability, I would buy another if I were to lose my original unit. The Vane is not a unit I use often, but it does get used. Sometimes, its size makes it perfect.

For me, the size, shape, look, and feature-set is a winning combination. I like the way the Vane feels in my hand. It is small enough to fit in any pocket. This isn't a unit designed for daily use, but for puffing an occasional hit, it does work. The flavour is OK, battery life is 3-4 sessions, and most important, the top is replaceable and readily available.

Where the Vane falls short is the plastic top. The top gets hot, it plugs easily, and it probably isn't healthy to suck on hot plastic. There is a cost to using this unit. Replacement tops are around $5.

While the Vane may be suitable for a 'second' vape, it isn't cost effective and there are other competing products.

Robert-in-YEG

Robert-in-YEG,
Reactions: LesPlenty

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
The much-maligned Yocan Vane was the first dry herb vape is not as horrible as some may judge. Considering the price, functionality, and availability, I would buy another if I were to lose my original unit. The Vane is not a unit I use often, but it does get used. Sometimes, its size makes it perfect.

For me, the size, shape, look, and feature-set is a winning combination. I like the way the Vane feels in my hand. It is small enough to fit in any pocket. This isn't a unit designed for daily use, but for puffing an occasional hit, it does work. The flavour is OK, battery life is 3-4 sessions, and most important, the top is replaceable and readily available.

Where the Vane falls short is the plastic top. The top gets hot, it plugs easily, and it probably isn't healthy to suck on hot plastic. There is a cost to using this unit. Replacement tops are around $5.

While the Vane may be suitable for a 'second' vape, it isn't cost effective and there are other competing products.

Robert-in-YEG

I wouldn't complain either with mine, I paid 35 bucks and it's worked plenty well for the times I needed it, I wouldn't want it as my only unit but it's not bad for most people at all

Robert-in-YEG

I wouldn't complain either with mine, I paid 35 bucks and it's worked plenty well for the times I needed it, I wouldn't want it as my only unit but it's not bad for most people at all
While I wouldn't recommend the Vane as a first vape, it is extremely pocketable, and that gives it a place in my collection.

Maybe I am just a bit emotionally attached to a first vape, but as I said, I like my Vane. It doesn't see a lot of use, but if it went missing, it would be replaced.

If the Vane had a better top, or if someone designed a better top, it would be a nice little pocket vape. With a price tag of $30-$60, there aren't a lot of expectations.

Robert-in-YEG

Robert-in-YEG,
Top Bottom