• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Fog by X-Vape

Hammahead

But does the air flow along this insulation? Doesn't look like it does. It's not a great design but it doesn't look to me like a health hazard. At least it doesn't leave any sort of debris in my bubbler.

Hammahead,
Reactions: Sativapo

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
No, the air does not flow direct along that insulation, but that really fine white dust from thermal degradation of the insulation falls down into the airpath and all over the place...

it doesn't look to me like a health hazard

To me it does - knocked that insulation a few times on the table and there were dust clouds!

U can just remove the top plate (2 screws) and pull the insulation out with a tweezer to check
Don't think that will be visible debris in a bubbler ;)

Oh, and btw i forgot in the top pic my glass stem hack is visible - just put the white silicone ring of the original mp over one of those cheap cigarette holders (lufki / lufka) and push it in, + an arizer stem screen on top of the load

Last edited:

zandroid

I just received my Fog. Ordered before the tear down pics were posted. Do you guys think it's safe?

I'm currently using a Boundless CF with ELB. Has anyone used both and can provide a comparison? Trying to decide if I should keep the Fog or return it.

zandroid,

Hammahead

This may sound like whistling dixie, but I'm still pretty sure it's safe, meaning there is probably no exposure to the dust unless you tear the whole thing down. Far as I see it, there is no free space between the body and the insulation collar, how would that dust get into the air path? I'll keep on using it.

Hammahead,

Used2use

but I'm still pretty sure it's safe, meaning there is probably no exposure to the dust unless you tear the whole thing down. Far as I see it, there is no free space between the body and the insulation collar
Sorry bud, but that is a wrong asumption.
U can clearly see the left over white dust in my pics where the air is sucked in (at the brown plastic level) - there is no seal at the insulation that prevents that!!!! Ok, the electronics are sealed from the dust :ko:
Is there any healthy white fine dust? - it's not powdered sugar for shure ;)
Maybe i'll try replacing that insulation with some hemp fiber (and change that every few sessions) after all i think it's just there to prevent the bowl from touching the outer insulation ring.
And tape direct on the hot heater metal? - wtf even my ancient Flowermate V has a better/safer design...

Last edited:
Used2use,

Hammahead

U can clearly see the left over white dust in my pics where the air is sucked in (at the brown plastic level) - there is no seal at the insulation that prevents that!!!!
Have you noticed any of that dust before you removed the collar for the first time? Have you taken the first and fifth picture before you removed that insulation? Is there any space between the insulation collar and the body itself?

Last edited:
Hammahead,

Used2use

In hindsight it was stupid to dust off before the pics, yes there was a lot more dust at the bottom, but not noticable/visible at the outside of the unit - or just take a peek at your unit...
nt5xUC8.jpg

Used2use,

Hammahead

I took mine apart and there was no dust whatsoever. Nothing at the base of the collar, nothing at the collar itself. I inspected it with a 20 fold magnifier. How old is your Fog?

Edit: I was an idiot and let the battery in the unit while taking it apart. When I fumbled around with my pliers, it seems I caused a short-circuit (I saw some small sparks) which basically bricked it. It heats up (or does it?) around ten seconds, then blinks three times and is off. I won't apply for warranty as it's all my fault and it's super visible I opened it myself. Bye Bye Foggy. Eff me.

Last edited:

zandroid

That sucks, but thanks for taking your's apart. If you have pics, can you post those? Thanks again, and sorry that happened.

zandroid,

Occipital

My review is a bit overdue. Delivery took a bit longer than expected but finally here it is!

My first impressions from opening the box it came in was that it is extremely small. It comes with the usual manual, tools, and it comes with an 18650.

Before I did a burnoff i tried a dry pull and it tasted very much like factory materials.
I did 2 max temp burnoffs and still tasted like factory materials until about the 3rd session. (Probably due to convection heating and having to pull the hot air through.)

At first I thought the mouthpiece got uncomfortably hot but once you get used to it the top 1/4th feels warm (the rest does get hot though. To be expected because of such a small package)

I use it on level 2 and bump it up as the session continues and each level stops producing vapor. The taste degrades extremely fast on levels 4 and 5 however. Even on max temp the vapor is very soft. It does not make you cough even when you are on level 5 and getting fat clouds (more on the clouds later). However the potency of the vapor is very noticeable and the ABV is even throughout and after level 5 is a medium brown color. It's surprising to me that it produces clouds this good in such a small and relatively cheaper package than most other vapes. Truly a good bang for your buck vape.

Now onto vapor production, each level (except for 1) produces very visible vapor but this requires a little bit of technique. Straight ripping from it will overpower the heater on lower levels and sipping on it will not do much either. You have to get a medium rate pull to allow the convection to do its magic and get the most out of your session. What I like to do is start a slower pull and gradually ramp up to a faster pull and that yielded great results after experimenting.

One thing I would like to mention is the topcap is a bit fiddly when trying to empty it or fill it. It occasionally flips closed when you are trying to get the bud in or out and it gets annoying but its not too big of an issue.

Battery life is decent. I get about 5-6 sessions on a single 18650 LG HG2 battery.

The Fog gets ready very quickly too. It only takes a few seconds to get going but I like to give it more time to get the best hits. I'm not sure if that makes a difference though. Could just be placebo.

Overall I'd say this thing is high quality.

I'm also pretty sure there are xvape teardowns on PIU or somewhere else. The white dust wasn't there from what I saw.

Last edited:

Used2use

I took mine apart and there was no dust whatsoever. Nothing at the base of the collar, nothing at the collar itself. I inspected it with a 20 fold magnifier. How old is your Fog?

Edit: I was an idiot and let the battery in the unit while taking it apart. When I fumbled around with my pliers, it seems I caused a short-circuit (I saw some small sparks) which basically bricked it. It heats up (or does it?) around ten seconds, then blinks three times and is off. I won't apply for warranty as it's all my fault and it's super visible I opened it myself. Bye Bye Foggy. Eff me.

Sorry to hear that :( - another thing to keep in mind with electronics besides the battery is to 'discharge' your body potential before by touching some larger metal object like a radiator etc (i learned that also the hard way :doh:)...
But now u could disassemble the whole heater :brow:
Strange that there is no dust at yours :hmm: - i'm shure the source of the dust in mine is the insulation on the right:
9rwGQBs.jpg

It felt just like a brittle, dusty, dirty carpet and u can see the 'whitening' on the surface a bit - how does yours look?
My fog is now 3 month old, and i did't use it too much (guess 15 battery cycles) and mostly around setting 3 so nothing unusual here.

I'm also pretty sure there are xvape teardowns on PIU or somewhere else. The white dust wasn't there from what I saw.
Are you shure enough to post a link? ;) I wouldn't had bought one if i had seen that construction before...

Used2use,

Hammahead

If you have pics, can you post those?
Sorry, I don't have a camera capable of macros. But there was nothing at all.

To be fair: @Used2use is suspecting a heat wear out of the insulating material, does anyone tear down used units on camera? Well, as that'd be a good idea, I'm sure someone had it before me ;)

how does yours look?
I used mine just a couple weeks but a couple times a day and I had a lot of sessions with my neighbor, really getting that thing hot to a burn a lot of times. As I said, I looked at the thing closely, with a 20 times magnifier and there's no dust whatsoever. Also there was none of that whitish stuff around the collar.

I've called myself an idiot out loud many times today, and usually my wife would disagree. This time though... that's a pretty expensive lesson teaching me not to hit a hammer on my toes.

Last edited:
Hammahead,
Reactions: Used2use

Used2use

I've called myself an idiot out loud many times today
Breaking it while looking for a possible health hazard, is better than to keep using it without knowing how it looks inside - so that's not idiotic imo ;)
Mine works, but i probably won't use it anymore and my conscience will not allow me to sell it... - so it's the same result in the end :(

But does the material look like the same kind? can't imagine differences between US / EU but who knows...

Maybe @ohmygodimsohigh can take a look inside his unit? - guess he did one bowl more than me on his unit (or two ;) )

zandroid

PIU did a teardown of the Xmax Starry, which I think is what @Occipital is referring or mistaking for the Fog.
http://blog.puffitup.com/2017/06/tear-down-the-starry-vaporizer-by-x-max/

Interestingly enough, the insulation in the Starry looks like the insulation in the Fog. See the pictures in the above link. Also in other teardowns PIU will indicate if the air path is isolated, but is silent on the Starry. Some teardowns on the blog look like the units have been used.

I'm still on the fence. I dropped my CF a few weeks ago. It still works but I've put tape around it to keep it solid. I was really hoping the fog was going to be a good replacement.

zandroid,

Used2use

Thanks, i didn't thought about it's brother the starry - the insulation seems a bit better encased but that looks like the same kind of degradation to me - now i've lost trust in PUI teardowns :shrug::
starry-portable-vaporizer-ceramic-chamber-teardown.jpg

Hammahead

That doesn't sound good at all. Maybe I just didn't use mine often enough to find that dust? Maybe it was divine intervention I crashed mine? I find it an itsy-bitsy bit awkward that XVape hasn't reacted yet. @PPN could maybe contact the manufacturer in China, I understand there is some relation?

Hammahead,

Used2use

So to sum it up: Y vape x vape ? :evil:
There are safer choices for vapes out there than that, red card from me!
I even threw away my large ABV jar :ugh:
Maybe some other retailers have better contact to xvape?
@VapoShop @stickstones and tag everyone else u can think of...

Used2use,
Reactions: steama

shaolinmilk

Yes! I feel like the Tera issues have made users more aware of what's going on and making people dig deeper. I feel like we need to have tear-downs on USED units especially ones that are manufactured in China. It is unacceptable especially with how far we've come. Using materials NOT meant to be heated to certain temperatures is just wrong. Plain wrong. I've recommended a couple buddies the Starry and I feel bad for doing so now since health > performance. Ugh... we need some more reassurance from these manufactures. IMO, using vapes is up to our discretion and if the vapes aren't safe to use, it's honestly not the manufactures problem since there are no strict regulations that forces them to use certain types of materials, etc.

shaolinmilk,

rokko

>magnesium oxide powder

Sounds OK for me, according to NFPA 704 health hazard level is 1, it's used in food industry as additive E530 and in medicine against increased acidity of the stomach. Also it's amount so small compared to asbestos dust and other shit I was inhaling during apartment repair. Anyway that black insulation can be easy replaced with other material using only screwdriver and scissors.

rokko,

Used2use

well, it looks similar but i don't think its MgO - it's coming from the degrading of the insulation imo and MgO is not an insulator afaik...let's wait what comes out.
Would be nice to see how the insulation looks brandnew...

Sounds OK for me, according to NFPA 704 health hazard level is 1, it's used in food industry as additive E530 and in medicine against increased acidity of the stomach. Also it's amount so small compared to asbestos dust and other shit I was inhaling during apartment repair.

Keep the difference between ingestion and inhaling in mind - especially the smaller the dust particle size the more will be absorbed by the lungs, and inhaling deeper like with a vape...
I want to only inhale the stuff i put in the vape, not the vape itself in addition :p ;)

Anyway that black insulation can be easy replaced with other material using only screwdriver and scissors

Yes it can be fixed, but do u want to buy a vape u have to void the warranty (and maybe damage it) to make it safe to use?

Top Bottom