Fog by X-Vape

Gardenerjeff

Author, Teaming Series of Organic Grow Books
I am breaking the no back to back rule. Forgive me, but this unit deserves some reviews now that we are getting em.....

I have now used the unit for a day and two nights. It is a great unit and as someone said, what the Craft/Mighty should have been. It will be my go to for a while, that is for sure!

BUILD: Solid. Solid metal case. Metal mouthpiece. Metal all over the place and a little bit of rubber. This is built extremely well. It feels like it costs a lot. EVERYTHING fits, closes, locks like it should! I dropped mine three times so far...silly me....and all is well....like new! WHew...my wife would kill me....

OPERATION: Extremely easy and extremely fast. Three push on and off button. Hold to adjust temp. Very fast at adjusting and very fast at heating....5 seconds or 10.. FAST. Display lights are good and they are hideable with the finger. With attachment you can use bubbler or use the portable bubbler they sell on their site. Attachments work!

Bowl can easily do two sessions and is small and efficient. ABV is a nice brown. AND, you can see it heart from the middle out which indicates convection and not conduction.

No need to grind. Have not tried it, in fact. Only ripped off bits o flower.

TASTE: Great taste after burn off. You cannabis will taste like it should! ( I did two burn off sessions). Great clouds if you want them. I like using the third of 5 power settings. I am quite sure I could get three sessions if I moved to the 5th power at the last one...in fact, just did!

CONS? I was going to say the mouthpiece gets hot. It does....but down at the bottom. Once I figured out where the heat stopped, the problem went away. The top 1/4 of the mouthpiece does not get hot.

Finally, I cannot tell you enough how impressed I was with the Denver based folks and the inventor from China. Wow. I have all the confidence in their wanting to make a healthy vaporizer and to be part of this community...that is apparently why they have a big office out of DENVER, USA instead of just China. If something goes wrong, they are going to take care of it. And, I am quite sure they are constantly working on ways to make a better vape which is really exciting.

Sorry for the rule break.....and poor typing.

Teaming (with you and with microbes)

Gardenerjeff

rokko

Is this vape's efficiency good enough for microdosing? Can It evenly extract something like half of an arizer air stem bowl? Can I use it like on-demand vapes - make a hit, turn it off, make another hit later and so on, will it overcook weed while turned off because of conduction part of the heater?

P.S. Was thinking to buy Xmax Starry because of full range temp (wanna vape sometimes low temp herbs like lavender, mint and etc.), but then realized that I need on-demand vape.

Gardenerjeff

YES, this can be a very, very efficient vape....you can put microdoses in. And, the temps are quickly adjustable. On full bowls, I am able to get three sessions with good taste. That is efficient, IMHO.

You can use it on demand and turn it on and off all you want. It has an auto shutoff at about 4 minutes.

The only time I have had a problem is when I filled with a very very loose mix and then sucked too hard on the mouthpiece...got a bit of burn taste, but that was totally my fault and won't happen again. Fortunately, the unit is super easy to clean.

Funny you should mention Arizer stem. Last night I turned mine upside down, put a small nug directly into the Fog and then put the stem in and vaped off of it. Fantastic taste.

This is a great vape. I love that the battery is replaceable.

Teaming With Microbes,

Gardenerjeff

Pimpslapper

Just bought this bad boy!
Can't wait! Should be here by end of this week.
any case recommendations to keep smell proof?

Pimpslapper,
Reactions: PPN

Gardenerjeff

Pimpslapper,

As for cases, you might want to wait to see how small this thing really is....

Make sure you do a good burn off and away you go! As much as I love my Fury2, it sure is great to be back on batteries. Funny how we all seem to be leaning in this direction. If modern vapes all had pass tyrhough charging, then maybe that's wouldn't be so.

Teaming,

Jeff

Pimpslapper

Thanks guys!
I see mixed reviews on the heat up times.
Some say instant ,gardenerheff says 5-10 seconds.others 30-40seconds...which is it?

I have a ff2, crafty, M and my first vape was the xmax v2 pro from the same company.
What I want is crafty type hits with no heat up time (5 seconds is ok) and of course exchangeable batteries!

If the fog comes close to that I will be in love.

Last edited:
Pimpslapper,
Reactions: PPN

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Thanks guys!
I see mixed reviews on the heat up times.
Some say instant ,gardenerheff says 5-10 seconds.others 30-40seconds...which is it?

I have a ff2, crafty, M and my first vape was the xmax v2 pro from the same company.
What I want is crafty type hits with no heat up time (5 seconds is ok) and of course exchangeable batteries!

If the fog comes close to that I will be in love.
I sayed instant but it's around 5s (I still have to make a comparative test but I think it's quicker to heat than the GH but GH will produce big vapor slightly faster)and it doesn't depends the heat setting, although the first hit is producing a light vapor and engine start to work as expected for the 2nd, I think it's caused by 2 things:
- the moisture in your weed have to go on before to get solid hits like in most vaporizers
- there is a small delay to get the heater at full performances/to get the bowl itself heated (conduction effect)

That's why some guys are assuming it will take 30s to reach full vaporization power, this is true. So it will work as a on-demand unit but it's better to take 2-3 hits before to shutt off.

A great device although I tried it with a bubbler and was slightly disappointed maybe cause the larger airflow but the vapor was thinner than expected and it took me a while to extract the bowl fully, the Starry was producing a lot thicker vapor with water filtration. But it's trully a contender if used dry cause the stealth design, very good taste (imho) and thick enough clouds, love it!

Gardenerjeff

Try shortening the tube to make it easier to draw from The bubbler.

Teamingwithmicrobes

Gardenerjeff

Gardenerjeff,

Pimpslapper

The Fog is back in my hands. I can now put the Crafty away again. Assuming the issues are sorted out, I'll put my thoughts up in a couple days.

I get my fog on Thursday and also have the crafty.
Curious to know how it compares.
Ofc I will share also once in hand.
Shitty battery and 1990 heat up times are my biggest gripe with the crafty.

Pimpslapper,

Shieldsab

After using the first one for a couple days, and going through almost two batteries with the new one, here's my XVape Fog review. Pros and cons at the bottom.

Initial Observations
Definitely not full convection. I wish manufacturers would stop lying right to our faces. I can turn it on, keep the top open, and touch the bowl in a few seconds and it will be hot.
Unloading is not my favourite. It is a little awkward if your ABV jar is smaller. For loading, I prefer this to the Firewood capsules, or the GH without stand and funnel. The Crafty and Fog are tied, because although the Crafty is a bit easier to load, the Fog doesn't require a place to put the CU.
It heats up pretty fast. I'm not sure about faster than the GH, but not a lot slower either.
Vapour tastes quite good. It's like the Crafty or first hit from a GH, brings out more of the fruit and sweet parts over the Firewood's more Earthy flavor. I'm on one of the top temps, either 200 or 220 C. I get at least 5 effective hits from a ground load that's a little dry, and packed down somewhat.
I notice that the top screen tends to get blocked with pieces of bud fairly easily, but it's also easy to clear.
I can go a whole day of use before having to change the battery. I have it running on an LG HG2. Among my longest lasting vapes, if not the longest.
It does get pretty warm, but at the moment I count that as a positive because it's nice to have something warming one's hands in the Canadian winters.
The mouthpiece also gets hot quite quickly at high temps, but that's the case with any vape, even the Crafty at 210. Although the Fog's does get hot quicker. Users of the Grasshopper either have solutions for this or are used to it.
The Fog is very pocketable. It's as short as the Crafty without CU, thinner and less wide. Weighs a bit more, but I don't mind that. The dimensions are quite similar to a Firewood 4 without CU excluding weight.
Draw is fairly restricted, maybe similar to a Grasshopper with standard front end. You can draw fairly fast and the heater keeps up, although not as powerful as the Hopper.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with this. It's a good vape for out and about, and a worthy modern backup for a Grasshopper. I'd feel pretty comfortable sharing the Fog with friends thanks to how easy it is to use. In a lot of ways, it's what I'd want a Crafty 2 to be. I put loading as a pro and a con, because although it's not the most efficient, it's easier without additional devices than some vapes. The Fog could maybe be made nicer by fancy features like draw sensing to reset the session timer, single degree temp stepping, either vibration or audible feedback etc. but there are already other devices that do all that. I like that this is a simple vape that just does what it does and does it well. It hits most of my want list and the compromises are ones I can easily live with for the price. Battery life is at least equal with my Firewood 4, if not even better so one of the longest lasting of my vapes.

Pros:
Small size
Good vapour
Fast heating
Good battery life
Simple UI
Temp goes above 210 C
Keeps hands warm!
Decently powerful heating
Can be loaded with only a flat surface and a container

Cons
Loading/unloading could be better
Top screen collects crumbles
Mouthpiece gets hot quickly
Full convection lies are frustrating, if to be expected
Not the most blind friendly, but not too big an issue with a little help or a smartphone

Pimpslapper

Thank you for the write up! I should receive mine today hopefully!
Do the crafty capsules fit inside the bowl of the fog?

I read one review that said the top 1/4 of the mouthpiece doesn't get hot. He said once he realized this it was easy to keep the lips on the cool part.

Shieldsab

Thank you for the write up! I should receive mine today hopefully!
Do the crafty capsules fit inside the bowl of the fog?

I read one review that said the top 1/4 of the mouthpiece doesn't get hot. He said once he realized this it was easy to keep the lips on the cool part.
I'm not sure, my Crafty didn't come with any capsules. But based on the shape of the bowl I suspect they will be difficult to remove if they do fit as the Fog is a narrow but deep bowl.
As for the mouthpiece, that depends somewhat on how fast you draw. I have to keep my lips on the very edge after a couple hits if I don't cool the MP down with a hand between the way I draw.

Pimpslapper

I can't test it yet but the capsules won't fit for sure.

First impression:

Loaded a bowl in the fog and got 10 hits over three different sessions over three hours at 180°c.

Each hit was as tasty as the first. At least as tasty as ff2 and a bit tastier than the crafty imo.
Not huge clouds until the herb dried but each one like the first and got me high three times.
Heat up time is 5-20 seconds with Sony vtc5a. 5 to first tasty hit and 20 to cloud.
Have lots more bowls to vape but so far not bad and worth the price.
More to come

Pimpslapper

Damn the silicone gasket on the mouthpiece was sticking out at odd angles this morning and it was notvairtight anymore. I tried for 25 minutes to put the mouthpiece back in to no avail after taking it out...wtf.
Does anyone have a pic of the breakdown in the manual?
Mine is gone
Thanks!

Gardenerjeff

Must have been one heck of a night...that thing is not supposed to come off and is solid as heck...what happened!???

teaming

gardenerjff

Gardenerjeff,

Pimpslapper

Lol the gasket was wonky so I took it apart because it was leaky.
It comes off easy enough when you remove that metal piece but getting it back in is a bitch...

Pimpslapper,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Lol the gasket was wonky so I took it apart because it was leaky.
It comes off easy enough when you remove that metal piece but getting it back in is a bitch...
Do you speak about the silicon part which hold the ceramic filter in the metal lid....? If yes it might be difficult to get it back in place, try to lubricate the edge of the silicone part.

It looks like there is a bit more attention here, this is a very good tiny vape and my first choice for stealth hits although it's so nice I use it at home too.

Yesterday it powered on in my Pocket at 3rd heating level, I didn't realize it and after a few minutes I felt some heat but the device already turned off. When I opened the lid to check the load it was very slightly browned but still potent and tasty. Yes like in most convection vaporizers there is a tiny amount of conduction but nothing able to ruin your session.

Pimpslapper

Do you speak about the silicon part which hold the ceramic filter in the metal lid....? If yes it might be difficult to get it back in place, try to lubricate the edge of the silicone

There is a tiny white silicone ring which was sticking out of where the swivel ceramic mouthpiece joins the lid
On top!
I think it may just be defective as I only used it around 8 times but was really enjoying it.
I will ask for a replacement

Pimpslapper,

Shieldsab

Just thought I'd drop by with an update. Microdosing works really well with the Fog. I'm out till Wednesday so I collected all the kief from my grinder, made a sandwich with some ABV and got a good full session. When I'm restocked with PineWarp I'll experiment more with microdosing straight flower. The more I use the Fog, the less I miss the Grasshopper.

Pimpslapper

First one was definitely defective which is why the mouthpiece wasn't air tight and the o ring kept coming off.

I still really liked the first one but I really dig the replacement. I have a crafty, ff2, M And the fog, and right now it is my favourite.

Hits hard like the crafty, without the !!bullshit!! Warm up time. No app needed and replaceable batteries!
No aluminum or plastic! Crafty 2 @storzandbickel????

It warms up as fast as the ff2, tastes as good and holds flavour over multiple sessions without stirring needed. (medium grind,full but barely tamped bowl for biggest clouds).
It is as stealthy as the davinci iq and it always toasts evenly.

It is a fantastic value for the money!
I love all my vapes for their own reasons but this one is special for the price and is the easiest one to sneak a toke in a non -toking house

Pimpslapper,
Reactions: Shieldsab
Top Bottom