Wow, looks like even being on the same team doesnt mean jack.

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I guess Im a little moreso disappointed than I am angry.

I work for a 'division' of the city that I live in. While we may have different departments I always thought that collectively we had each others backs (sorta). Well, it appears that this isnt the case. In fact, it would 'appear' that I am the perverbial 'low hanging fruit'. I guess I cant blame your lame ass for acting the way you do (I mean, you ARE the CITY afterall right?)

Here is the story in a nutshell.

Personal property taxes roll around for my vehicles.
2 are paid on time, 1 isnt as the car was pieced out and sold a while back.
Because the car was pieced out, the title wasnt changed at the DMV. (Thats where its MY responsibility to let them know)

This 3rd vehicle was still owed taxes on it because of course the DMV still showed it as in my possession (even though it has not been registered for years because it has been disassembled)

I mentioned I work for the city as well correct? So, this would have me assume that out of common courtesy, since your office is 2 floors below mine you *might* send me a friendly reminder that I owe you some $$. Nope, in fact I just made your job easier for when you send me a notice of a WAGE GARNISHMENT for the few fucking bucks that I owe you!

I am so fucking disgusted by this and my city. They dont even have the common decency to attempt to play harmoniously with people in their own sand box. In fact, it seems that I made your job as a fucktard bully easier because it was no problem to find out where to take my $$$ from as we are all a part of the same inbred city family. Well, fuck you very much. (No really)

It has now become my mission to find out a bit more about your division and the people within it. Not necessarily because you made my shitlist or any other list, but because you just helped yourself OFF of one. Its called the 'going the extra mile' list. I too have a 'customer service' (sorta) related job, and Im sure that you and yours will come across my desk eventually. I too can 'play by the book' and rest assured that I will. :)

Meh, just had to vent about that. Im really saddened by the way my city dis-functions even at its core. How can we realistically expect them to have the best interests of its people when they dont even have the common courtesy interests of its own people.

AGBeer,

Rudy Rudiger

Not to be rude, but your story doesnt make sense. I probably shouldnt even respond to this because Im sure you will take offense, but here goes.

First, you would have received a notice of taxes due before receiving a notice of wage garnishment. With that notice you would have had something like 30 days or so to respond. At that time you should have filed an amended personal property tax return, attached the amended return to the letter, and delivered it to the appropriate office. If the car was sold years ago, why didnt you just go to the DMV and get the title corrected?

Second, taxes are levied on licensed motor vehicles, which include any motor vehicle that maintains an active tag or registration. Accordingly, past due accounts are assessed an interest charge of a certain percentage for the first month and 1% each month thereafter. Any bill not paid in full by the sixth or eigth (depends what city) month following registration will result in the enforcement of a block to the registration. Since your vehicle did not maintain an active tag, you are in a position to file for a refund of the amount that was garnished. I dont understand how your city has the authority to garnish your wages. Perhaps it is something to do with being employed by the city.

Im sorry that you have fallen into this situation, but it is not because your city dis-functions. The function of your local municipality is to provide the citizens of that community with necessities, not to have the best interest of its people. Simply because you work for the city does not mean that you are exempt from taxes or that you shouldnt be penalized for back taxes owed. What do you expect the tax collector to tell the annual auditors? Oh he works for the city so he so he doesnt have to pay his taxes on time. The auditors would refer to that as a control deficiency and would probably be communicate it to those charged with governance via a SAS 115 letter. Do you think people who work for the IRS are exempt from federal tax penalties? Do you think cops who commit crimes should not be subject to the same judicial system? Should fire fighters who set fires not be policed? Insurance agents who commit insurance fraud? The list goes on and on...

If I were in your position, I would first contact a local CPA, file an amended personal property tax return, and attend the next board meeting. At the board meeting I would bring up your issue and describe what you want them to do.

In the meantime, vape a bowl and forget about it. Be glad you have a job!

Rudy Rudiger,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Im not angry at the fact that I am having to pay my taxes, or the fact that I have to even pay them on time. I am pissed that the fact that they went from 0-60 on my ass because I am the low hanging fruit.

Is it because I am a city employee that I am expected to not even bother asking how high and far to jump when it is said? Or is it the fact that I am a city employee and where my $$$ comes from is much easier to locate when it comes time to take yours?

My point is - I am much closer to these folk than your average taxpayer (hell we share the SAME BUILDING) A friendly 'reminder' (i.e. phonecall, letter, email) would have been adequate to re-remind me that I owe you money. Taking out a garnishment is a little excessive if you ask me.

AGBeer,

Beezleb

They could probably get in trouble for contacting someone about the issue that is not through normal channels. Their is really no longer a good old boys to join anymore and pretty all government is broke and looking to squeeze to blood from a stone.

Its not personal, but your a stone, now bleed if you will be so kind to just bleed. :ko:

Beezleb,
Top Bottom