Would a mod box with more than 75w still drive a RBT Splinter just fine?

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I'm about to just buy a cheap-ish mod box to have a low-cost way to learn and I wasn't sure if I should limit myself to 75 watts and under since dry herb isn't the standard use case.

The wattage of mods is so crazy it makes the shopping a bit niche or retro to have a low cap. But I mean if they work better or if the higher power ones set to low output aren't good for some reason...?

bossman,

Hippie

No it shouldn't be a problem

The numbers are reliant on the batteries so they're often overstated, to say the least ;)

There's a lot of mods to choose from. The amount of battery power you require in terms of MAH and the physical size of the mod you want may be a good place to start. Whether you want a single 18650, dual 18650, triple 18650 or a single or dual 26650 mod or one of the newer battery formats, which of coarse will effect the size of the box mod required to hold the batteries.

I was gonna buy a single 26650 mod (Dovpo Rogue, Geekvape Aegis or a Wismec Presa) for the extra power of the 26650 and inbetween size of mod but I'm rethinking that now since I recently bought a pair of Eleaf Invokes (dual 18650) which are only a couple of mm bigger in size than my Evic Primo SE (single 18650).

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
No it shouldn't be a problem...

Super helpful and I really appreciate the details, thanks.

I'm thinking dual or even triple and imaging more a coffee table device for home since I have two portables I like that are easier to edc.

Shifting gears, am I missing out if I pay +$17 for dual 18650 batteries as an add on? Folks seem particularly about the make and model but I'm clueless.

I'm off to compare those mods you named to the Voopoo Drag 157 I was considering.

It'd be easier to choose if they weren't so stupid looking, ya know?

Update: heck yeah, count me in for an Invoke and I'm not even on an official Splinter waiting list yet! Nice budget mod and I'm thankful again you mentioned it

Last edited:

Hippie

Yeah - the Invoke is tiny considering that it holds 2 18650s. It does VW and TC well altho it doesn't have the curve modes that very latest ones have, for the $27 I paid fasttech for them I'm quite happy :)

There are prettier mods out there but the prices can get a bit loony tuney. Every time I've seen one I like the look of it's been waaay out of my price range.

The Voopoo Drag is well regarded on the Fasttech forums, and they can be quite brutal on there. I just don't like the position of the 510 connector and the shape of the box, altho I do like the side panel styling choices.

You want quality branded batteries like the Samsung 30Q, LG HG2 or Sony VTC and a charger for them.
I'd buy them from a reputable retailer in your own country to avoid fakes and the extra peace of mind, knowing it'll have the correct plug and work on your voltage.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Yeah - the Invoke is tiny considering that it holds 2 18650s....

You want quality branded batteries like the Samsung 30Q, LG HG2 or Sony VTC and a charger for them.
I'd buy them from a reputable retailer in your own country...

Thanks again, @Hippie I really appreciate the useful, timely advice. Fasttech is a better price than I'd found on my own and the battery shopping landscape is clearer now too, even if I have to order separately.

The one other question I had: is there a tank/atomizer/approach for these mods so they can be used for concentrates?

Google makes it sound like an option, even with the prefilled pen carts, but I had to ask since I'm already so much less confused than I was twelve hours ago. =)

bossman,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Thanks again, @Hippie

The one other question I had: is there a tank/atomizer/approach for these mods so they can be used for concentrates?

It will prob be at least a few months but RBT is working on The Sliver which uses his heater tech for a concentrates specific portable beast. I haven't got a chance to try it yet, but there is already a couple of working betas out there and after discussing this one in detail with RBT i think it will be a real winner.

IAmKrazy2,
Reactions: bossman

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Super cool, @Hippie, thanks again. You caught me starting my day shopping for batteries and a charger at Illumn. I don't have a problem - I can stop whenever I want!!

bossman,
Reactions: Hippie

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Thanks, @Hippie. I'm over there making a nuisance of myself at the Divine Tribe atty thread and then off to order that mod from FT.

bossman,

Megaton

High powered mods will work just fine, won't need to use all that power, but the extra battery capacity will come in handy!

Megaton,
Top Bottom