Wood Working Questions

So I am not a novice woodworker, and I am working on developing a few products and was just curios if anyone makes a taper ream or drill that fits the standard 10/14/19 sizes. Obviously I can make the tapers without, but having them would certainly speed things up. Also I see a lot of people using and selling injector bowls made from cocobolo, has this been proven safe? I’ve always known cocobolo to be a toxic wood and definitely don’t want to poison anyone. Anyways, I plan to offer rolling and session trays, bowls, globe cages, storage..things like that. And I’m always open to ideas, just enjoy making things. Have a cnc, milling machine, metal lathe, wood lathe, industrial grade co2 laser and tons of other tools so can do quite a bit. Here is a photo of my globe cage and one of my session trays. Pic

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.
Some woods are ok but dont know about cocobolo, best bet is to look at what tobacco pipemakers use for their pipes, briar is traditional, think you can use ebony. I have made a pipe from olivewood before. I got some sapele i might try.
You probably know about this as a woodworker but its useful for anyone else. Toxic Wood List---
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/
its not completely comprehensive but theres a good amount of info.

Issue with woods is some people react more than others, and you probably know about sensitizers vs ones that react more immediatley if they dont like you. Wood toxicity is mainly a dust issue, but can also be a contact issue for some.
if only a quick spritz of nitro laquer would work, could add to the effects of the herb.........(if you are laughing at that you know.... if not DONT USE NITROCELLULOSE LAQUER OR ANYTHING SIMILAR)
I think some woods can be sealed by charring, possibly you could work liquid reclaim hot off a 'boro bowl into the wood inside the bowl, but I would be wary of using anything else,maybe coconut oil as it has a high temp smoke point, but any food oil will go rancid over time. Mineral oil(same as baby oil not car oil) possibly, but not sure its exactly foodsafe. Maybe beeswax worked in then cured .
I would cure the bowls no matter what, maybe pre char them , but a long reasonable temp cure should vapourise most of the surface oils in the wood.
Also warn people that purchase them that some individuals may have an allergic reaction to certain woods.
To save your lungswhile curing it, and for hygene if its for sale, Get your sturdiest Straight bong, put the bowl in the bong without a downstem or any water, attach a hoover on low power to the mouthpiece and put a hot injector head backwards against the bowl and turn the hoover on.
I havnt tried it yet but intend too. Be careful with your glassware if you do. let me know how it goes if you try it?

Curious Gorilla,
Reactions: Knewt

vapviking

Old & In the Way
So I am not a novice woodworker, and I am working on developing a few products and was just curios if anyone makes a taper ream or drill that fits the standard 10/14/19 sizes. Obviously I can make the tapers without, but having them would certainly speed things up.
These glass joints are called Scientific Glass, for lab work, etc.
The standard taper for SG joints is 1:10. (evolved from the 'bungs' in wine barrels, etc.!)

From the article I'm linking, "The conically tapered ground glass joints typically have a 1:10 taper..."

So, at least some education about the glass. Sorry I don't have a source for you on drills or reamers...I'm 25 years outta the wood game!

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I think some woods can be sealed by charring, possibly you could work liquid reclaim hot off a 'boro bowl into the wood inside the bowl, but I would be wary of using anything else,maybe coconut oil as it has a high temp smoke point, but any food oil will go rancid over time. Mineral oil(same as baby oil not car oil) possibly, but not sure its exactly foodsafe. Maybe beeswax worked in then cured .
I would cure the bowls no matter what, maybe pre char them

Coconut oil loves to go rancid and stink. Briar burl is the way to go! It probably doesn't even need charring but it would possibly improve it if it was a smooth surface...

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
So I am not a novice woodworker, and I am working on developing a few products and was just curios if anyone makes a taper ream or drill that fits the standard 10/14/19 sizes. Obviously I can make the tapers without, but having them would certainly speed things up.
Also take note that for injector bowls you don't need the full 22mm long taper of standard Dewar joints. 10mm is plenty, especially since glass fits more snugly on wood than on glass and most injector nozzles are shorter than a Dewar joint anyway.... if you plan on making some injector bowls please PM me!

Top Bottom