Wood Polish Discussion

Vital

I have had my Nano for over 2 years now.. the one with the non-detachable cord, and we leave it on almost all day long at 6.5. My hubby forgets to turn it off at night almost all the time. It still looks as beautiful as the first day we got it. I do rub it with eds bombass butter occasionally. It is a Koa wood.

I make my own wood polish for...it's very easy and a lot cheaper than buying it.

There are many different recipes you can use, but I prefer natural ingredients so I use Bees wax and Olive Oil, but you can use mineral oil, linseed oil or coconut oil.

Heat the bees wax in a double boiler until it melts. Add a small amount of the oil you prefer, and stir it thoroughly. Once its thoroughly mixed, take the pot off the heat, and remove the bowl that you melted the ingriedients in. While its still warm and soft, pour it into asmalll mason jar. Keep it stored in a cool dark place, and your furniture polish will last a long, long time. The first time you apply your polish to the wood,you will be amazed the way the wood drinks it up. Each time you use the wax the wood will darken, become richer looking, and the grain becomes more pronounced.

Tip: If your wax is too hard to spread, reheat it and a little more oil. If it comes out too soft, it means you added too much oil which you can rectify by heating it back up in a double boiler and adding more beeswax. You will find it to be as good or better than any wood polish you can purchase.

howie105

Being a lazy and cheap SOB I have been using mineral oil and paraffin on the wood portion of my vapes and guns for a few decades. On the wood that gets carried around in the woods it works well enough and when back into the house mixing the oil and wax to a thinner ratio makes a not too bad wood conditioner. The upside for a lazy guy is that the paraffin melts quickly in the microwave and a bowel so cleanup is easy.

WoodyWeedPecker

There are many different recipes you can use, but I prefer natural ingredients so I use Bees wax and Olive Oil, but you can use mineral oil, linseed oil or coconut oil.
Is the Beeswax absolutely necessary or can you just use coconut oil? What is the advantage of beeswax over other oil like coconut?

WoodyWeedPecker,
Reactions: GetLeft

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I make my own wood polish for...it's very easy and a lot cheaper than buying it.

Heat the bees wax in a double boiler until it melts. Add a small amount of the oil you prefer, and stir it thoroughly. Once its thoroughly mixed, take the pot off the heat, and remove the bowl that you melted the ingriedients in. While its still warm and soft, pour it into asmalll mason jar. Keep it stored in a cool dark place, and your furniture polish will last a long, long time. The first time you apply your polish to the wood,you will be amazed the way the wood drinks it up. Each time you use the wax the wood will darken, become richer looking, and the grain becomes more pronounced.

Tip: If your wax is too hard to spread, reheat it and a little more oil. If it comes out too soft, it means you added too much oil which you can rectify by heating it back up in a double boiler and adding more beeswax. You will find it to be as good or better than any wood polish you can purchase.

if olive oil is working for you, go with it. But, I try to stay away from it. Seems to get sticky to me.

I like coconut oil better. I take a chunk of bees wax, scrape off some shavings, put it in the palm of my hand and squeeze/hold until it gets soft. Then i add a little coconut oil and mix it by pressing with my fingers a bit (fingers on other hand). Apply this goop to a very warm nano as evenly as I can and rub it in by hand. Wash the goop off my hands and buff the nano with an old sock (clean of course!). A little messy, but is simple and works well. No bowl, microwave, stove, mixing tools, etc. Just my hand and an old sweat sock. Occasionally I'll get a little lint from the sock. Easy to just roll it off whether you see it immediately or don't notice for a day or two.

The Stranger

Account Closed
I think the advantages of beeswax is it seals the wood and protects from moisture and stains. I think it would have some moisturizing properties too, maybe oil has more..? It does darken the wood a bit though but I prefer the look. The biggest advantage to me is your nano now smells amazing like honey.

I just use straight beeswax, no oil involved. Next time maybe I'll try with some oil but I like the pure beeswax and it also gives the nano a little more grip, I've found.

Just one more way everyone uses their nano differently!

Last edited:

Vital

if olive oil is working for you, go with it. But, I try to stay away from it. Seems to get sticky to me.

I like coconut oil better. I take a chunk of bees wax, scrape off some shavings, put it in the palm of my hand and squeeze/hold until it gets soft. Then i add a little coconut oil and mix it by pressing with my fingers a bit (fingers on other hand). Apply this goop to a very warm nano as evenly as I can and rub it in by hand. Wash the goop off my hands and buff the nano with an old sock (clean of course!). A little messy, but is simple and works well. No bowl, microwave, stove, mixing tools, etc. Just my hand and an old sweat sock. Occasionally I'll get a little lint from the sock. Easy to just roll it off whether you see it immediately or don't notice for a day or two.

I didn't have any coconut oil in the house at the time...that's why I used olive oil. The main point I was trying to make; you can make your own furniture polish that your E-Nano will love for a lot cheaper than buying those little tins of balm butter or whatever its called. Pharmaceutical grade Mineral oil works great too...but I prefer to use food safe oils.

Being a lazy and cheap SOB I have been using mineral oil and paraffin on the wood portion of my vapes and guns for a few decades. On the wood that gets carried around in the woods it works well enough and when back into the house mixing the oil and wax to a thinner ratio makes a not too bad wood conditioner. The upside for a lazy guy is that the paraffin melts quickly in the microwave and a bowel so cleanup is easy.

You could substitute Beeswax for paraffin. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much better mother nature makes wax then man does. Parrafin is made from petroleum products. Bees wax is made by bees. ;) I make a large enough batch to fill a small mason jar. I use it on all fine wood productsi.e. dining room table, butcher block tables and I have been using the same mason jar of polish for a little over a year now. The best part...a little goes a looong way. I still have 3/4 of a small mason jar left.

Is the Beeswax absolutely necessary or can you just use coconut oil? What is the advantage of beeswax over other oil like coconut?

No you don't have to use Beeswax, but I would strongly recommend that you give it a try. Beeswax will give wood an amazing luster. Most waxes aren't very malleable unless they are warmed or diluted with another oil; that's why you add another oil to the beeswax. Check with any maker of very high end wood furniture; and you will find that most use beeswax in their formula to achieve the optimal finish. I didn't get my recipe from this website: http://diydriftwood.com/make-beeswax-polish/ but there are tons of them out there. Google beeswax furniture polish. I made enough to fill a small mason jar over a year ago and its still as good as the day I made it. Total cost was about $4 for the beeswax. Some oils will go rancid i.e. corn oil so I wouldn't recommend using corn oil, but you could use flaxseed oil, coconut oil, pharmaceutical grade mineral oil, cottonseed oil etc. etc. We should start a new thread called something like Wood polish recipes. That way anyone that finds a great way to make polish can post there tips, and give the best recipes.

One last thing...not all beeswax is created equal, some companies sell beeswax that has impurities in it, while others filter their beeswax multiple times before they sell it. If you buy some beeswax online, it should have a pleasant smell when you open it. It may even smell like honey. Last time I purchased beeswax was several years ago, and I believe I got it from www.MillCreekHoney.com. It was pure beeswax, but I have seen better quality beeswax.

If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Moderators: If you feel like moving this information to a new thread called How I Make Wood Polish, or something like that; I am in favor of it. I wasn't trying to hijack the topic, I was trying to give E-Nano owners a great way to keep their vaporizers looking better than new without having to spend a fortune on commercial wood polishes.

You will know that you've nailed it when your finished wax has the consistency of ChapStick, firm but spreadable. :) In fact if you use food safe oil; you can buy empty tubes and fill them before the wax cools/sets and make your own ChapStick. You can find tons of these if you Google empty chapstick tubes https://www.containerandpackaging.com/item/M218?source=googlepla&gclid=CPypiZatnMwCFQ2QaQodd40EDw

Last edited:

Vital

If your read the description of Ed's TnT Bomb Ass Butter it sounds familiar doesn't it? :science:

Here is what it says on Ed's website:

Product Description
Wanna breath some life into that worn piece, you have been tote’n it around in your pocket, bag, or what have you for a while and after time the wood begins to show wear and dull even. Ed’s TnT Bomb Ass Butter is a great way to add that luster and protect to your piece just like the day you got it.

BAB uses Genuine Hawaiian Beeswax and mineral oil to increase the longevity of your piece.

It can be purchased in its own Natural Hawaiian Beeswax scent with no extracts added, it almost has a sweet honey aroma to it at times, very pleasing!

Vital,
Top Bottom